Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funimation Broadcast Dubs Discussion

Widgets Magazine
    [mod note: please use this thread to discuss the actual dubbing of any and all of Funimation's ongoing Broadcast Initiative Dubs. While casting can be mentioned here, please reserve most formal announcements, as usual, for the 1&Only Cast Announcement and Rumors Thread. Thanks.]

Is it bad that I was laughing yet angry at this clip [Death Parade]? Specifically 4 times?

1st was Eric Vales flat delivery. It sounded like a first try read-through.

2nd was with the lady voiced by Trina, whom I thought sounded like Jamie Marchi. Like the lady in Basalisk but more mature in delivery. Eitherway, she sounded to young for her character.

3rd was with the doctor pushing Decim up against the wall trying to yell seriously, yet his tone droped again then back up. It felt like the delivery was supposed to be over the top, but then Eric dropped back down to keep it surreal or down to earth. Yet there is nothing I can't find surreal about it in an anime where people are already dead and playing games that make YuGiOh actually feel like SAW.

4th. Alex's performance. I was first laughing a bit, but overtime I felt really offended. It sounds like a near exact improvised take on Marc Diraison's performances in Fate/Zero and SAO. That man is one of my fav and best New York actor. And if Zach wanted to get a performance like this so bad, then bring the real deal over since he is the better man to give this role justice. Not an improvising actor. Seriously, this is bringing up why I think some of their actors just sound the same to eachother sometimes given on pitch and tones.

Overall, I'm still going to watch it while keeping expectations low. Its just Alex can and should do a different take on the character instead to trying to miserably acheive a take on an already great actor.
    Last edited by Hitsugi Amachi; 02-19-2015, 05:55 AM.

Re: 1 & Only Cast Announcements and Rumors Thread

^ I like Marc Diraison too, but I highly doubt anyone went out of their way to "copy" him.
    Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Re: Death Parade

Alex and Marc sound nothing alike, and neither do Trina and Jamie... Maybe you should actually watch more of their work since you clearly can't identify voices as well as you think you can; but if you feel so confident about your opinion from analyzing a short clip you must be an expert, so my suggestion is useless right?

Comment

Re: Tokyo Goul/Death Parade

THANK YOU MIKE!!! You made a pleasing dub given its flaws. They are'nt as major as the first two though. Given the characters are near motionless and covering their faces. So you can't really judge there design or animation THAT much. But given its an action scene, it seems that the actors should be a bit more over the top. Not robotic. "You......Are a........Idiot." Was the only line I smirked at for its goofyness and brokeness. Todd was fun, Austin seems to fit his emo look until I can see whats under the sex mask. Overall, no serious conteracting with character designs and animation. Some wooden lines with a read through script. All can be good, but I'm keeping expectation low again.

Now to Parade buisness.

Originally posted by framefreeze100 View Post
        Alex and Marc sound nothing alike, and neither do Trina and Jamie... Maybe you should actually watch more of their work since you clearly can't identify voices as well as you think you can; but if you feel so confident about your opinion from analyzing a short clip you must be an expert, so my suggestion is useless right?
        I gave you an example where Trina sounded close to Jamie, no? Alex's performances made me pause to say that was Marc in the role. Given he is a great actor, you can recognize his voice very well. One of his most unique roles in his delivery and pitch was as Kalin Kessler from YuGiOh 5D's. Its nothing about sounding alike. It's about sounding alike and then finding out he is not the real deal and just some actor trying to do said actor. You say Alex and Marc sound nothing alike, yet why does this clip speak otherwise?
        And I specifically said, "sound the same to eachother sometimes given on pitch and tones." Meaning not entirely unless certain delivery or tones in pitch are in order. There is a difference between alike and sometimes.

What's the point with identifying when two actors or actresses sound almost the same depending on what roles they play? What if they had to do the same role? That breaks immersion and makes the product feel as lazy as a western MMO voice cast. Get gals like Emily Neves, Monica Rial, Brittney Karbowski, Jad Saxton or better yet. VA's strictley from Huoston like Maggie Flecknoe, Juliet Simmons, Molly Searcy, you know? People that have wildly different ranges that are near impossible to sound alike.

I can take your suggestion on watching more Funimation dubs to prove me wrong though, its so fun watching ending themes of every FUNI anime with their tiny bright white subtitles to find a name under the, "revisioning" label while ignoring a fun ending song. like finding warm kidney stones in a pile of plastic surgeon leftovers of a ladies glutteous.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhys2753 View Post
          Koro Sensei – Sonny Strait
          Nagisa Shiota – Lindsay Seidel
          Tadaomi Karasuma – Chris Ryan
          Karma Akabane – Austin Tindle
          Isogai – Jerry Jewell
          Fuwa – Kristi Kang
          Hayami – Jamie Marchi
          Hinano – Kristen McGuire
          Kaede – Monica Rial
          Maehara – Chris Burnett
          Mimura – Joel McDonald
          Muramatsu – Eric Cherry
          Nakamura – Apphia Yu
          Okajima – Nick Haley
          Okano – Didi Archilla
          Sugaya – Kyle Phillips
          Kanzaki – Leah Clark
          Kimura – Jean Luc Hester
          Kirara – Terri Doty
          Meg – Morgan Garrett
          Sugino – Clifford Chapin
          Terasaka – Marcus Stimac
          Toka – Michelle Rojas
          Yoshida – Orion Pitts
          Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
          DECIM – Alex Organ
          WOMAN – Jamie Marchi
          NONA – Jad Saxton
          QUIN – Anastasia Munoz
          CLAVIS – Z. Charles Bolton
          TAKASHI – Eric Vale
          MACHIKO – Trina Nishimura
          Originally posted by Rhys2753 View Post
          Kaneki – Austin Tindle
          Touka – Brina Palencia
          Tsukiyama – J Michael Tatum
          Yamori – Christopher Sabat
          Rize – Monica Rial
          Hide – Clifford Chapin
          Nishiki – Eric Vale
          Hinami – Lara Woodhull
          Mado – Kenny Green
          Amon – Mike McFarland
          Ayato – Todd Haberkorn
          Eto – Lindsay Seidel
          Tatara – Chris Wehkamp
          Overall these dubs could sound good but there are some names I really dislike and I wish ADR Directors would stop giving them work...

Originally posted by bs3311 View Post
          Originally posted by framefreeze100 View Post
          I gave you an example where Trina sounded close to Jamie, no? Alex's performances made me pause to say that was Marc in the role. Given he is a great actor, you can recognize his voice very well. One of his most unique roles in his delivery and pitch was as Kalin Kessler from YuGiOh 5D's. Its nothing about sounding alike. It's about sounding alike and then finding out he is not the real deal and just some actor trying to do said actor. You say Alex and Marc sound nothing alike, yet why does this clip speak otherwise?
          And I specifically said, "sound the same to eachother sometimes given on pitch and tones." Meaning not entirely unless certain delivery or tones in pitch are in order. There is a difference between alike and sometimes.

What's the point with identifying when two actors or actresses sound almost the same depending on what roles they play? What if they had to do the same role? That breaks immersion and makes the product feel as lazy as a western MMO voice cast. Get gals like Emily Neves, Monica Rial, Brittney Karbowski, Jad Saxton or better yet. VA's strictley from Huoston like Maggie Flecknoe, Juliet Simmons, Molly Searcy, you know? People that have wildly different ranges that are near impossible to sound alike.

I can take your suggestion on watching more Funimation dubs to prove me wrong though, its so fun watching ending themes of every FUNI anime with their tiny bright white subtitles to find a name under the, "revisioning" label while ignoring a fun ending song. like finding warm kidney stones in a pile of plastic surgeon leftovers of a ladies glutteous.
          You give the people working in this industry way too much credit. You actually think ADR Directors actually listen to and are aware of the work of other talent in other regions? Apparently someone never told you that the last thing majority of people working on anime dubs want to do to after working on it all day, is watch more anime. Bolton has probably never listened to Marc Diraison and probably has no idea who the man is. Just because Diraison had some notable roles in a few dubs the past couple years you think EVERYBODY must've watched them and one ADR Director has a motive to "emulate" those performances?

I also agree with Freeze, Alex Organ and Marc Diraison don't sound alike. It's all in your head buddy. I've also seen your posts at ANN. You seem to have an agenda trying to put-down FUNi dubs and their talent. Trina Nishimura and Jamie Marchi don't sound the same and on the ANN boards several people corrected you on this specific point. Just because you think 2 people sound alike doesn't make it true. Sometimes you're wrong! Maybe accept the fact that you don't always know what you're talking about. Also doesn't help your case that several of the Houston actresses you named aren't very good and yet they're so often cast in Sentai dubs; so why do they get a free pass? Doesn't matter if they sound unique to you. Sometimes bad acting is just bad acting.

As for ending credits if you want to listen to the song just youtube it or you know check the Extras section of your DVD or Blu-ray menu where it's included separately. Viz Media sometimes includes a list of cast during their credits but I don't see you complaining about them ruining your enjoyment of a song with their English text. Or you can always skip the credits because guess what, majority of people do that to save that extra 1 min 30 seconds (3 minutes total if they skip the opening credits too). Only hardcore voice acting geeks actually pay attention to the credits and make notes of names. Most people will simply google cast info if interested and find the info those geeks contributed on various databases.
          Last edited by Mr_Ecchi_Man; 02-18-2015, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Maggie Flecknoe is a voice veteran of nine years and rarely gives mundane performances she's the type of actress who's usually always consistently solid no matter what type of voice direction she's given which is a rare trait for any actress in general. Juliet Simmons was one of the few really great aspects of a overall middling dub like the OutBreak Company dub she's one of the more promising rookie voice over talents currently from the Houston talent pool. Molly Searcy has proven on quite a few occasions over the last two years since her debut performance from the Another dub that she is an competent actress and holds a solid amount of promise in this medium. I wouldn't label any of these actresses as "bad" in any shape or form are there a few underwhelming actresses/actors from the Houston talent pool? Absolutely, but that tends to be the case for every acting talent pool in general. The issue isn't the actresses/actors its the poor voice direction that quite a few Houston dubs have had of late that needs a vast improvement the Houston acting pool is filled with talent as its always been over the years its the ADR scripts/voice direction that needs to improve for the better.
            Last edited by thegateoftruth; 02-18-2015, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Re: Funimation?

Originally posted by thegateoftruth View Post
              I SNIP
              I appreciate your points. I really do, even if we don't see eye to eye in scripts/direction. I have been rewatchin some Foster stuff(And recently saw Ghost Stories with my little brother for the first time), and seeing them again actually fixes tads of my complaints for the guy. I really miss him now T_T

Originally posted by Mr_Ecchi_Man View Post
              You give the people working in this industry way too much credit. You actually think ADR Directors actually listen to and are aware of the work of other talent in other regions? Apparently someone never told you that the last thing majority of people working on anime dubs want to do to after working on it all day, is watch more anime. Bolton has probably never listened to Marc Diraison and probably has no idea who the man is.
              What credit is there to hear another actor who voices a specific character and then have another actor that is similar to his tone of voice a different but similar character? Re-read my post again. I said, "if Zach wanted to get a performance like this so bad." My point is still speculation. But eitherway, I think of Marc when he is voicing him. So Alex kinda ruined it.

I also agree with Freeze, Alex Organ and Marc Diraison don't sound alike. It's all in your head buddy. I've also seen your posts at ANN. You seem to have an agenda trying to put-down FUNi dubs and their talent. Trina Nishimura and Jamie Marchi don't sound the same and on the ANN boards several people corrected you on this specific point. Just because you think 2 people sound alike doesn't make it true. Sometimes you're wrong! Maybe accept the fact that you don't always know what you're talking about.
              You just blantly say, "It's all in my head."? Without giving proper reasoning why to prove your point. I never said they sound the same, I said they CAN sound the same. Big difference, maybe you should go get a dictionary. With your fallacy, just because you think 2 people don't sound the same doesn't make it true. All I want is reasons out of you, examples. I gave one where they can sound the same, specificially in this show and Basalisk with the young princess chick. And I already said they CAN with proper tone and pitchwork, so put it togethor that I admit not all performances sound alike either. Just a few. On the Houston side, from watching all their dubs I found none besides improve that was actually meant for comedy and felt like comedy.

I know what I'm talking about. You on the other hand don't seem to take this coversation seriously, so you just throw subjective bias without reasons or examples to make yours the right side of the debate.

Also doesn't help your case that several of the Houston actresses you named aren't very good and yet they're so often cast in Sentai dubs; so why do they get a free pass? Doesn't matter if they sound unique to you. Sometimes bad acting is just bad acting.
              We are not talking about voice QUALITY. We are talking about voice UNIQUENESS. Quit changing the subject around to fit your twisted reality where your opinion is absolute, and the majority seem to say the same just because they listen to it. Do you think I'm too dense to give criticism on my favorite actors? Hell I already did on this site on my impression of Mayo Chiki with Meg Mcdonald.

As for ending credits if you want to listen to the song just youtube it or you know check the Extras section of your DVD or Blu-ray menu where it's included separately. Viz Media sometimes includes a list of cast during their credits but I don't see you complaining about them ruining your enjoyment of a song with their English text.
              Or better yet, just have them on a seperate black screen with scrolling text with clean framerate, GASP! You can skip them, and they don't interupt your experience since they are'nt in the opening or ending. Unless the other competitors actually use dynamic text editing software to make them appear seamless with the show, then you would actually have a debate. I did'nt give an example of Viz because none of this topic is about me disliking or comparing to Viz. I mentioned Sentai Filmworks just now because you decided to point out my likings only to stomp on them with pointless arguments with nothing to explain or back up. And half of said houston (Inbetween houston/dallas) actresses that I mentioned have experience with Funimation. Whats holding the others back is commitment and time budgeting that Chris Patton just gave up on.

I would appreciate that either you be serious with my points instead of brushing them aside cause they go against the manipulated status quo yet no one dares explain the status quo. Or walk away and argue with my points on ANN, were this type of argument is actually tolerated. I already took a users idea at this site to heart, "Try not to give so much negative comparisons." I did'nt give a negative look on Assassination Classroom given said users idea. But with Death Parade, I was actually confused on what to think. I was comedical at first, then a user asked if I was actually offended. That came to ask some deep ideas on what I thought. I did'nt come to troll, I came to ask if it was bad that a laughed and get angry at this. And I gave those 4 points telling why. I guess people were right to never anticipate what you will get out of forums.
              Last edited by bs3311; 02-18-2015, 09:28 PM. Reason: response to Gate

Comment

Funimation Broadcast Dubs Discussion

Hmm... seems like the last broadcast dubs did well for them, so they decided to do more this Winter (10 of them).

Now this is not a bad move from Funimation and all but question is are there staff big enough to handle this? Do they have enough money to do this? Might as well see I guess.

EDIT: There's already a thread about this one.
                Last edited by LouisTheXX; 02-18-2015, 11:39 PM.
                Avatar: Robin from the hilariously awful Batman Odyssey comic.

Comment

To be fair, everyone sees/hears things differently. I personally think Colleen Clinkenbeard and Jamie Marchi sound almost identical, and some people call me crazy for that, but that's how I hear the two actresses. I think Natalie Portman, Keira Knightely, and Winona Ryder all look identical, and some might call me crazy for that, but it's the same thing. Some people might think Monica Rial and Lisa Ortiz sound alike, or Kristen Stewart and Lindsay Lohan look alike, who am I to judge? Obviously there has to be SOME leeway. It's not realistic to think, say, Tia Ballard and Stephanie Young sound the same, but I could maybe see how someone could think Jamie and Trina Nishimura sound sort of similar. I don't agree with it, but I wouldn't put someone down for it.
                  With that said, I still highly doubt Zach went out of his way to outright copy another voice actor (even so, since when is it wrong to get ideas?).

Either way, it's all REALLY no big deal. Good lord!

Comment

I ended up watching the Tokyo Ghoul √A dub before seeing the announcement. Having the first experience of the franchise in English be the second season was as weird as I expected.

Interesting to see Mike directing it. He's easily my favorite director, so I'm always happy to see him directing anything, but I would've rather he return to the main chair on One Piece now that he has the time (plus there are a lot of FUNimation shows that have yet to be dubbed or at least announced that I liked a great deal more).

It's also a shame that he doesn't get to bring in nearly as many people from out of town since they have to get these done so quickly, but it's nice to see that at least Todd is in it. Between that and Cherami proving that she can keep a Broadcast Role dub (for a character she already had in Psycho-Pass), I'm just surprised that we didn't get an announcement of a Fairy Tail Broadcast Dub along with all the ones from this season (specifically because Monica Rial had mentioned being well into the second season at a con a few months ago despite no word on its physical release and no standard release configuration on the Japanese side). The quality of these dubs seems to impressively be on par with what I'd expect from the usual schedule so far, but the need to keep the cast 99% Dallas residents is a shame, since FUNimation (especially Mike) has always been the best at mixing it up with people from everywhere else, and I always appreciate seeing that.

Interesting to see Tatum as the assistant director as well; that's not all that common a role to see these days, especially when it's someone who is by no means new, and Tatum has been so focused on writing in recent years that I wasn't really expecting to see him do more directing anytime soon anyway.

I never made a fantasy cast since I didn't know who to cast as Kaneki, but Austin Tindle seems like a pretty perfect choice. It's a character that requires a drastically different portrayal from one season to the next, so hearing him in the latter before the former is again very weird, but he sounds strong enough here and Austin's other work seems to suggest that he'd have the early portrayal down pretty well.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Or better yet, just have them on a seperate black screen with scrolling text with clean framerate, GASP! You can skip them, and they don't interupt your experience since they are'nt in the opening or ending.
                      I'll have to say I agree, for numerous reasons I've already gone over when credits debates came up here a few years back. I do tend to watch the opening and ending every time, aside from some instances where I marathon the show, am pressed for time, and/or the OP/ED is unimpressive to me. And the hard translated credits may lack the style of the original (if there is a unique style to them) or obscure more of the visual the original did. Besides that, I will admit that I am one of those credit "geeks", and so having the kanji available on a release is necessary sometimes to confirm who's who. FUNi has actually done black screen credits before. At least, I've seen them on both seasons of High School DxD when they have an episode where the credits play over scenes. Granted, they probably did that because they didn't have access to creditless versions of those scenes, but better than what they've done before in similar instances. Would be happy if they did that for every episode (as Sentai does) and not special occasions.

I've never really thought about Trina Nishimura sounding like anyone else, though. She's had a wide range of roles, and has turned out some excellent performances in some of my favorite dubs from FUNi like El Cazador and Steins;Gate. Pretty pleased with what I heard of her in the first episode of Death Parade too. Machiko's a very interesting character and think she was on the mark.
                      Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 02-18-2015, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Re: Funimation Broadcast Dubs Discussion

Perhaps you didn't notice but the Funimation Broadcast Dubs Initiative is already being discussed here.
                        Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Natsumi Tsujimoto & Miyuki Kobayakawa (You're Under Arrest!)
                        FilmAF / MAL /Games / Figures
                        Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

For me, as long as everyone's credited, it doesn't matter how it's done. It's really annoying keeping up with the new Sailor Moon dub when the only credited voice actors are the leads/regulars (and in the booklet, not on-screen). For the supporting characters, you have to rely on the actors confirming their roles on social media.

Comment

I would appreciate that either you be serious with my points instead of brushing them aside cause they go against the manipulated status quo yet no one dares explain the status quo. Or walk away and argue with my points on ANN, were this type of argument is actually tolerated. I already took a users idea at this site to heart, "Try not to give so much negative comparisons." I did'nt give a negative look on Assassination Classroom given said users idea. But with Death Parade, I was actually confused on what to think. I was comedical at first, then a user asked if I was actually offended. That came to ask some deep ideas on what I thought. I did'nt come to troll, I came to ask if it was bad that a laughed and get angry at this. And I gave those 4 points telling why. I guess people were right to never anticipate what you will get out of forums.
                            Here's all there is to say about this, as that "user" who suggested that idea. For all involved in these back-and-forth arguments, please do just one thing: keep ANN stuff at ANN, and TFP stuff at TFP. There will not be many warnings about that.

On personal notes: In case this was your first introduction to Death Parade, and are not watching the day and date (sub) streams, it has frequent and strong black comedy elements. Waiting for the context of the episode itself (or watching that sub version now) is also and always appropriate to fully gauge what an actor is or is not doing.

I would also agree that it is absurd to suggest an actor in one talent group is imitating one in another. There are, in the medium of anime, few and frequent character archetypes that you'll see across most shows and genres; anime dubbing, in response, sees every lasting talent group utilize similar types of actors and voices to cover them. That you'll hear particular actors in one talent group sounding unerringly similar to actor in another talent group across the country is not at all odd, and has been present for decades now. It does not mean one actor is copying the other.
                            Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                            Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                            Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Re: Funimation Broadcast Dubs Discussion

Originally posted by Jimmie M View Post
                              Perhaps you didn't notice but the Funimation Broadcast Dubs Initiative is already being discussed here.
                              Oh.... sorry I should have use the search bar in the first place.

You can lock this thread if you may.
                              Avatar: Robin from the hilariously awful Batman Odyssey comic.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X