Widgets Magazine

Studiopolis Stuff (Sailor Moon, casting, bringing ruin, delivering manna, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1 & Only Cast Announcements and Rumors Thread

Kate Higgins and Robbie Daymond are both in Sailor Moon. Both are listed as being SAG-AFTRA on their respective resumes. I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but doesn't the presence of credited union VAs = union dub?

Honestly, I think some of the talk of Studiopolis has been exaggerated some. It might be because I'm a huge fan of their work on Sailor Moon and other shows, but I think they put out the best work they can, and have a great pool of talent. I always think it's best to expand as much as possible, and I think they are starting to do that while still putting out amazing dubs. Regardless, I think it's extremely ridiculous to boycott an anime product just because a particular studio did the dub. I mean really, how is that going to help anything?

I do agree that they need to credit their voice actors better. Sailor Moon is almost an uncredited dub, and it's annoying to someone like me, who's usually at least somewhat curious about who does the voices (that, and I think all VAs deserve credit unless they don't want to be). That might be a Viz thing though. The new Ranma sets aren't much different, despite having an Ocean dub. Although at least the Ranma dub has been out for 20 years...
    Last edited by PurpleWarrior13; 11-28-2014, 03:35 PM.
    Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
      Kate Higgins and Robbie Daymond are both in Sailor Moon. Both are listed as being SAG-AFTRA on their respective resumes. I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but doesn't the presence of credited union VAs = union dub?
      It's not listed on the SAG/AFTRA database so probably not. I'm pretty sure they're ficore though so they can be in non-union stuff without issue
      "All's the world has anger issues" - Alphanega

My Anime Planet List

Comment

Originally posted by framefreeze100 View Post
        I also think it's awful how a "higher quality" studio doesn't even properly credit the voice talent in their anime dubs.
        This is not necessarily the dubbing studio's responsibility.

If it weren't for official cast announcements, VA resumes and maybe an English cast listed as an "Extra" on the DVD/BD (e.g. Naruto, seriously making it an extra? That's just BS) I doubt even half of the info on voice acting sites and related encyclopedia pages would even be accurate if fans are forced to guess with their ears.
        Oh, we got by, before cast announcements, before most actors had online resumes. Experience, patience, processes of elimination, tamping down rumor mongering and wish-fulfillment, admitting when you don't know, respecting and understanding union issues--all served to get the job done reasonably well.

A while back a friend also told me that he heard a rumor that a certain dubbing studio in California blacklisted one of his favorite VAs. Apparently the story is that some fans made some requests if that VA can audition and then the VA was told at a convention (by someone who worked at that studio) that the studio would NEVER cast that VA.

My friend and I have slowly been ticking off names of which studios it might be but at this point after hearing other stories of how douchey Studiopolis is concerning their audition process I'm 99% sure it's the studio. :angry:
        Well, that's about as apocryphal as you can get, yet you manage to leverage it, with absolutely no proof, into your established and anecdotal hatred of Studiopolis.

They're idiots
        Tone it down, please. And not for the first time.
        Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
        TFP Forum Rules

Comment

It may not be their responsibility but its a kind courtesy that should be done for the fans that consistently buy their products every single year. In this age of dubbing crediting every actor/actress should be a common practice that very dubbing studio follows without a second thought. Studiopolis is the biggest offender of this terrible habit among the current dubbing studios hopefully one of these days they'll shape up and start to properly credit all of their actors/actresses.
          Last edited by thegateoftruth; 12-01-2014, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thegateoftruth View Post
            It may not be their responsibility but its a kind courtesy that should be done for the fans that consistently buy their products every single year. In this age of dubbing crediting every actor/actress should be a common practice that very dubbing studio follows without a second thought. Studiopolis is the biggest offender of this terrible habit among the current dubbing studios hopefully one of these days they'll shape up and start to properly credit all of their actors/actresses.
            Of course?

I mean it's not necessarily the dubbing studio's responsibility if cast information is missing because the release company may not have requested it, or if they got it, didn't use it; or it could even be (though probably more rarely) licencor request. Viz, of course, has this same issue for two decade's worth of Ocean dubs.

EDIT: It's not as if recording studios make casting decisions, or alter character appearances, without the client company knowing it--that all has to be verified with the licencor; all to say that Viz would have all of the cast information on hand: the primary responsibility is theirs, not the dubbing studio's.
            Last edited by bctaris; 12-01-2014, 01:39 PM.
            TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by thegateoftruth View Post
              Given that it is not the dubbing studio paying for the dub production or owning the license in the first place, and hence has the final decision in whether to include cast credits in the release, I still fail to see how you could blame Studiopolis over the issue of crediting/non-crediting.

C.T.
              You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Re: Studiopolis Stuff (Sailor Moon, casting, bringing ruin, delivering manna, etc.)

Hi I noticed that this thread has been awfully quiet in the last 18 months, so I decided to state my thoughts/opinions regarding the recording studios Studiopolis and Bang Zoom! Entertainment:

As a fan of English dubs in the Los Angeles area and the recording studios that recorded the majority of our favorite shows, Studiopolis and Bang Zoom!, it's tough choice which recording studio is my favorite. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses that some fans will like and others that could've been done better, but I'd say I lean towards Studiopolis.

Reason being, is that even though they have their issues on their voice direction, crediting their actors in their recent dubs by crediting their names in blocks (e.g. Sailor Moon), re-using the same voice actors (Laura Bailey, Mary Elizabeth, Kirk Thornton etc...) as multiple different characters, and the number of ADR directors is relatively smaller compared to Bang Zoom! (3 to 7/8), I enjoy the studio mainly for the usage of the many experienced voice talent they use in their anime dubs, especially in regards to the voice actors (e.g. Kate Higgins, Tara Platt, Dave Wittenberg, Wally Wingert, Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham, JB Blanc, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Neil Kaplan etc...) that Bang Zoom! Entertainment normally doesn't hire/uses in their anime dubs. So it's nice to hear those voice actors every once in a while. I also enjoy most of the shows that Studiopolis has done in the last couple of years from Naruto, Bleach, Tiger & Bunny, and Sailor Moon, so i can't wait for what shows they might dub in the next few years.

As for Bang Zoom!, I am a bit divided with the studio. Personally, the only praises I can give to Bang Zoom! is that the studio has a lot more voice directors compared to Studiopolis, which results in the majority of the dubs they voice direct being phenomenal, and the new voice actors getting cast in lead role of a specific title. My only nitpick I have with BZ! is that regardless of the show they are dubbing they do tend to re-use the same set of voice actors in their talent pool just in the same typecasts or roles over and over again which can get repetitive after a while. Of course I'm not blaming the ADR directors, the producers and especially casting director Mami Okada, I just like to see variety of the voice actors they bring in rather than repeating the same actors just for preference and "being their favorites", which keep in mind that is exactly 100% not true!!! But to be fair though their more recent dubs they've been releasing the last couple of months (e.g. Seven Deadly Sins, Hunter x Hunter, Iron-Blooded Orphans, and the upcoming Charlotte) are starting to utilize some of their talent pool that haven't been cast quite as often in their previous dubs (e.g. Ray Chase, Erik Kimerer, Lucien Dodge, etc...) instead of excessively re-using Bryce Papenbrook or Todd Haberkorn in the same typecasts. But just like I said, it is a job and a business for the voice actors and directors working on the dubs at Bang Zoom!, along with having the challenge on casting either new voice actors or voice actors that have a lot of knowledge and experience, while maintaining a production budget and schedule that the recording studio or director have to keep.

Speaking of which, I also am surprised that even though Studiopolis uses experienced veteran voice talent, they have not even use the likes of Karen Strassman, David Vincent, Mela Lee, and Julie Ann Taylor in ANY of their dubs, outside of Bleach (PS: Julie was involved in both Bleach, Sailor Moon and Tiger and Bunny at Studiopolis).

But back on topic, now that AX is coming up in a few weeks, I'm still wondering where the dubs of One-Punch Man and Terra Formars from Viz Media are heading to. I have a strong feeling it could be Bang Zoom! that might dub those shows, giving that Studiopolis is already booked up on dubbing Viz Media's two long runners on their plate (Naruto and Sailor Moon), much like what happened when Viz sent Hunter x Hunter to be dubbed at Bang Zoom!. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Studiopolis or NYAV Post will dub one of the two licensed shows from Viz.
                Last edited by Animefan1995; 07-01-2016, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Re: Studiopolis Stuff (Sailor Moon, casting, bringing ruin, delivering manna, etc.)

Originally posted by Animefan1995 View Post
                  Hi I noticed that this thread has been awfully quiet in the last 18 months
                  That's because this was a one-off split from the 1&Only Cast Announcement thread for a conversation that had gone a little off-topic. It wasn't intended as anything on-going, but I don't care either way.
                  TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                    That's because this was a one-off split from the 1&Only Cast Announcement thread for a conversation that had gone a little off-topic. It wasn't intended as anything on-going, but I don't care either way.
                    That's fine, I just wanted to state my own opinion regarding Studiopolis and Bang Zoom!.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine
                    Working...
                    X