Widgets Magazine

Studiopolis Stuff (Sailor Moon, casting, bringing ruin, delivering manna, etc.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studiopolis Stuff (Sailor Moon, casting, bringing ruin, delivering manna, etc.)

Widgets Magazine
    Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post
    Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
    I thought Coppelion was gonna be a Studiopolis dub since they dubbed K. They can't be too busy with Sailor Moon since they lost Bleach.
    Perhaps they are dubbing super long show x like hxh.
    Hunter x Hunter hasn't been picked up yet. And even so, Studiopolis is a bigger studio than Bang Zoom and are known for their high expectations and are more expensive to use than Bang Zoom. Besides, Studiopolis is often reserved for more popular anime (like Naruto, Tiger & Bunny, and Sailor Moon), or shows where there is a cast that might not work out well using Bang Zoom (like K).
    Avatar: Sizuru Nakatsu from Rewrite! (if the anime and VN gets an English dub, Faye Mata should voice this character)

Re: 1 & Only Cast Announcements and Rumors Thread

K could have worked with a Bang Zoom dub, but I think it still worked out well with Studiopolis. BZ was probably booked up and unable to work on the show quick enough. Probably the same reason Zetman went to NYAV Post.
    Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

I hope Viz doesn't get Hunter x Hunter and I wouldn't want Studiopolis touching it either. IMO it's a very overrated studio and for long shows can't be trusted with cast continuity (even if union).

Although it has a reputation for being "better" than other California anime dubbing studios it actually seems to have a smaller talent pool overall which reeks of laziness.

For example I think it's dreadful how Todd Haberkorn has been forcefully cast into numerous guest roles on Naruto: Shippuden over the past couple years considering he has limited range and a very recognizable voice. Then eventually it's decided he'll voice

Spoiler ->Obito Uchiha (Adult)

replacing Vic Mignogna who voiced him as a teenager. Maybe the excuse is that Vic already voiced another notable character (Nagato) who too has limited range and a recognizable voice but then there's situations like Kirk Thornton voicing Kisame, Fukasaku and Mifune in back to back arcs...

I'm not faulting the ADR Directors since I think Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Suzanne Goldish (who direct most of Studiopolis' anime dubs) do an excellent job and usually bring out good performances out of most of the talent they direct, but then there's Jamie Simone who's casting director & owner of Studiopolis who at times seems like he has no idea wth he's doing and doesn't even seem to care about quality concerning anime dubs.

The Naruto manga has always been hundreds of chapters ahead of the anime dub and now that it's over doing research homework should be easier than ever for future castings plus there's the simulcast episodes too which are still ongoing and much further ahead. But I guess he has greater interest in the better paying contracts for pre-lay cartoons & games, and generating more interest & awareness for his studio by casting celebrities who have no talent for voice acting or even basketball players like Chris Bosh... So it's easier to reuse the same VAs multiple times for anime dubs (lower priority projects with smaller budgets).

I can't be the only one who's noticed that when certain Texas VAs moved to California it's like there's was some kind of priority to make sure they have continuous work (rent doesn't pay itself) and because of this longtime local veterans like Michael Lindsay see less work opportunities and then eventually retire.

I'm not a huge fan of Bang Zoom but IMO it's the better of the two studios if given a choice.

Maybe I'm overreacting and being too harsh but I'm personally sick of Studiopolis in general. Who knows maybe Todd Haberkorn won't be voicing that character later on in the anime (it was just a video game appearance so far), after all "Madara Uchiha" went through several voices (Nolan North & Vic Mignogna) before finally settling on Neil Kaplan.

Though I think it says something when a VA like Troy Baker now considers Studiopolis work a lower priority that he doesn't even reprise his roles anymore even though it's one of the "better" places to work at. Studiopolis either needs to improve itself in multiple areas or do every real fan a favor and stay away from new anime dubs.

Comment

Originally posted by framefreeze100 View Post
        I can't be the only one who's noticed that when certain Texas VAs moved to California it's like there's was some kind of priority to make sure they have continuous work (rent doesn't pay itself) and because of this longtime local veterans like Michael Lindsay see less work opportunities and then eventually retire.
        There's a lot of anime VAs that date back to the Animaze days (i.e. early 2000s and earlier) that still regularly appear in anime and J-Game dubs to this day, such as Michael McConnohie, Wendee Lee, Doug Stone, Dave Mallow, Tony Oliver, Richard Epcar, Johnny Yong Bosch, Mona Marshall, Michelle Ruff, Kirk Thornton, Steve Staley, etc. Also, Michael Lindsay hasn't appeared in that many anime and J-Game dubs compared to the aforementioned VAs and has already been succeeded by a bunch of other VAs, such as Doug Erholtz and Johnny Yong Bosch.

Though I think it says something when a VA like Troy Baker now considers Studiopolis work a lower priority that he doesn't even reprise his roles anymore even though it's one of the "better" places to work at. Studiopolis either needs to improve itself in multiple areas or do every real fan a favor and stay away from new anime dubs.
        The reason why Troy Baker doesn't to anime dubs and J-Game dubs anymore is because of the insane demand the AAA-game industry has on him (i.e. Far Cry 4, CoD: AW, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, etc.), which makes him unable to reprise his older roles.
        Last edited by Razzamatazz Buckshank; 11-27-2014, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzamatazz Buckshank View Post

The reason why Troy Baker doesn't to anime dubs and J-Game dubs anymore is because of the insane demand the AAA-game industry has on him (i.e. Far Cry 4, CoD: AW, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, etc.), which makes him unable to reprise his older roles.
          Plus Troy Baker looks to be working in the pre-lay side of voice work these days, when it comes to animation in general (the stuff Rob Paulsen and Co. do). AAA games and pre-lay are the best work, pay wise, from what I've gathered so I'm not surprised he's focusing on that. It's not a slight to anime-general ADR type work to want to make the best living wage you can out of your chosen field.

Comment

I think Studiopolis is a great studio, and I'm very satisfied with all the work I've heard of them. I loved the K dub, the Bleach and Naruto dubs are good from what I've heard, and I think Sailor Moon sounds amazing. Sometimes they recycle the same voice actors over and over, but it's never too obvious, and they cast really versatile voice actors. Todd DOES have a very distinctive voice, and he's probably cast a little too much in Sailor Moon (Jadeite's the only regular character he's voiced, but I can name four or five smaller characters he's also voiced) and it's pretty obvious Motoki and Zoisite are voiced by the same person. However it's not like the Japanese version didn't have that happen. Over there, it was Zoisite and UMINO that were voiced by the same person, and Luna/Queen Beryl, and Sailor Pluto/Shingo/Haruna were all also doubled. It's an older series, and doubling was common back then, so it's almost like a throwback. But really, I think their work sounds amazing.

Also, I don't think they have problems with cast continuity more than anyone else...

Comment

Originally posted by MeggieMay View Post
              Originally posted by Razzamatazz Buckshank View Post

Plus Troy Baker looks to be working in the pre-lay side of voice work these days, when it comes to animation in general (the stuff Rob Paulsen and Co. do). AAA games and pre-lay are the best work, pay wise, from what I've gathered so I'm not surprised he's focusing on that. It's not a slight to anime-general ADR type work to want to make the best living wage you can out of your chosen field.
              Not to mention that Troy Baker strictly works in union-only environments nowadays. That along with the high demand for his motion-capture work in many of the AAA video game titles.
              Avatar: Sizuru Nakatsu from Rewrite! (if the anime and VN gets an English dub, Faye Mata should voice this character)

Comment

Studiopolis has been branching out more with new talent the casting choices for Sailor Moon show that but yeah their talent pool has always been far to limited. The quality of the Bleach dub has dropped in recent years due to its re-casts, casting the same actors in various supporting roles & multiple ADR Directors working on the dub. I find Suzanne Goldish to be an average ADR Director at best I wasn't terribly impressed with her voice direction when it came to the last Arc of the Bleach anime. I haven't been to thrilled about some of their casting choices recently Stephanie Sheh as Sailor moon and Todd Haberkorn as Obito Uchiha is a good example of that. I do agree about Jamie Simone he's made some questionable casting choices over the years. Studiopolis is quite capable of producing great english dubs but mediocre voice direction and predictable casting is keeping them from performing at their best. It took Spike Spencer five years to finally appear in the Shippuden dub and he's been a regular for the studio since its inception. Michael McConnohie & Terrence Stone still to this day haven't appeared in the Shippuden dub. Bang Zoom has a lot of the same issues Studiopolis has when it comes to casting the same set of actors in many of their dubbing productions but they're good at casting rookie actors in major lead roles which is a practice that Funimation and Sentai Filmworks needs to learn to start doing at least Bang Zoom isn't afraid to take some casting risks on occasion.
                Last edited by thegateoftruth; 11-28-2014, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thegateoftruth View Post
                  Studiopolis has been branching out more with new talent the casting choices for Sailor Moon show that but yeah their talent pool has always been far to limited. The quality of the Bleach dub has dropped in recent years due to its re-casts, casting the same actors in various supporting roles & multiple ADR Directors working on the dub. I find Suzanne Goldish to be an average ADR Director at best I wasn't terribly impressed with her voice direction when it came to the last Arc of the Bleach anime. I haven't been to thrilled about some of their casting choices recently Stephanie Sheh as Sailor moon and Todd Haberkorn as Obito Uchiha is a good example of that. Studiopolis is quite capable of producing great english dubs but mediocre voice direction and predictable casting is keeping them from performing at their best. It took Spike Spencer five years to finally appear in the Shippuden dub and he's been a regular for the studio since its inception. Michael McConnohie & Terrence Stone still to this day haven't appeared in the Shippuden dub. Bang Zoom has a lot of the same issues Studiopolis has when it comes to casting the same set of actors in many of their dubbing productions but they're good at casting rookie actors in major lead roles which is a practice that Funimation and Sentai Filmworks needs to learn to start doing at least Bang Zoom isn't afraid to take some casting risks on occasion.
                  Well, you need to know that there are other factors why Studiopolis rarely use newer talents than say Bang Zoom (who is more willing to use newer talents and cast them in lead roles as you mentioned). For starters, Studiopolis, when compared to Bang Zoom, has a much higher standards in their voice acting projects. Studiopolis also have closer ties to Hollywood than Bang Zoom (in fact, they even hired Samuel L. Jackson in an anime dub IIRC). They are more willing to use more experienced and well-established veteran voice actors and most of their projects tend to be union (Now, Studiopolis has done non-union projects before, but it's extremely rare and you'd often see this in their anime dubs). They also do more western animation voice work, which are often union-contracted (especially ones done by Marvel). When you combine these factors into play, this makes it extremely difficult for rookie voice actors to get roles in many of Studiopolis dubs. The only way a rookie voice actor may get a role with Studiopolis is either through a really impressive audition, or make special arrangements with several voice actors who worked with both Bang Zoom and Studiopolis to forward one's audition. In fact, IIRC from a live stream from Danielle McRae (the voice actress of Karma from League of Legends who has recently landed in a few minor anime roles), she stated she knows of a fellow voice actor friend (who also happens to be rookie) who tried to forward his audition to Studiopolis, but they turned down his audition. Apparently, this kinda shows how picky Studiopolis may be like when it comes to their anime dubs, whether it is union or not.

Comment

Studiopolis is more or less my favorite studio at the moment so I don't have too many issues with them. They've tended to have the most consistent level of voice direction out of most of the current studios including Funimation who's kind of gone downhill a bit in recent years in terms of their usual consistency. They've been pretty exclusive in terms of casting until recently but they also tend to use a lot of the veterans that Bang Zoom rarely does outside of union dubs so it's nice to hear those actors every once in a while and it's not like they dub newer stuff on a consistent basis that their casting brings too many issues though I agree Bleach's dub kinda suffered a bit from being recast a lot. It's becoming apparent that they've gotten less exclusive though recently so hopefully we'll see more newer VA's pop up in some of their dubs. Bang Zoom's gotten a lot more consistent recently with their voice direction but between the two, I'd still lean towards Studiopolis for the bigger shows.
                    "All's the world has anger issues" - Alphanega

My Anime Planet List

Comment

For Sailor Moon, we've seen Cristina Vee, Amanda Celine Miller, Lucien Dodge, Bryce Papenbrook, Erin Fitzgerald, Erica Mendez, and some others that we've traditionally only seen at Bang Zoom. I know there are doors opening up to them there now since both Cristina and Lucien were both cast in Bleach around the same time as Sailor Moon.

With how prominent Bryce has been with Bang Zoom and FUNi dubs (Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online, Durarara, Blue Exorcist, Danganrompa, and a minor role in Space Dandy), I'm surprised it took him this long to even book a minor role there.

Comment

For Sailor Moon, we've seen Cristina Vee, Amanda Celine Miller, Lucien Dodge, Bryce Papenbrook, Erin Fitzgerald, Erica Mendez, and some others that we've traditionally only seen at Bang Zoom. I know there are doors opening up to them there now since both Cristina and Lucien were both cast in Bleach around the same time as Sailor Moon.

With how prominent Bryce has been with Bang Zoom and FUNi dubs (Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online, Durarara, Blue Exorcist, Danganrompa, and a minor role in Space Dandy), I'm surprised it took him this long to even book a minor role there.
                        Fitzgerald has been working at Studiopolis for a while (Bleach, Naruto: Shippuden and K)

Papenbrook already appeared in a Studiopolis dub for a role in the Naruto Shippuden: Blood Prison movie earlier this year.

If you're perfectly happy with the Sailor Moon dub that's cool but AFAIK it's non-union so it's not like TPTB decided to give it a full 100% commitment to get THE very best talent available. A good dub isn't the same as a great one.

I also think it's awful how a "higher quality" studio doesn't even properly credit the voice talent in their anime dubs.

A block of VA names with no characterization association is completely unacceptable IMO (e.g. K, Tiger & Bunny, Bleach); this isn't the 90s anymore. On one of Viz's past surveys I actually suggested they fix this issue. Once in a while Studiopolis actually does a full crediting job (like every other studio) but then one dub later takes a step backwards again so there's some very questionable quality control going on there...

As for that new crop of VAs working on the Sailor Moon dub I'm pretty sure if Brian Ige and Charlene Ingram didn't have their say (probably suggesting STRONGLY to have a wider audition) it would be the usual close knit group of Jaime Simone's regulars & favorites.

If it weren't for official cast announcements, VA resumes and maybe an English cast listed as an "Extra" on the DVD/BD (e.g. Naruto, seriously making it an extra? That's just BS) I doubt even half of the info on voice acting sites and related encyclopedia pages would even be accurate if fans are forced to guess with their ears.

A while back a friend also told me that he heard a rumor that a certain dubbing studio in California blacklisted one of his favorite VAs. Apparently the story is that some fans made some requests if that VA can audition and then the VA was told at a convention (by someone who worked at that studio) that the studio would NEVER cast that VA.

My friend and I have slowly been ticking off names of which studios it might be but at this point after hearing other stories of how douchey Studiopolis is concerning their audition process I'm 99% sure it's the studio. :angry:

They don't want to better themselves with new talent? Their loss
                        They don't want to be open to feedback from customers and fans? They're idiots
                        They want be jerks? I'll take my business elsewhere and I won't be purchasing any titles recorded at Studiopolis anymore.
                        Last edited by framefreeze100; 11-28-2014, 11:31 AM.

Comment

A block of VA names with no characterization association is completely unacceptable IMO (e.g. K, Tiger & Bunny, Bleach); this isn't the 90s anymore. On one of Viz's past surveys I actually suggested they fix this issue. Once in a while Studiopolis actually does a full crediting job (like every other studio) but then one dub later takes a step backwards again so there's some very questionable quality control going on there...
                          That was done in the past when union VA's were working in non-union projects, but those days are long gone. I'm not exactly sure what the thinking is with crediting like that, but it just outdated. Anyway, I'm certainly glad that more VA's from Bang Zoom are working for Studiopolis, and Alexis Tipton is expected to make an appearance in Sailor Moon, so I'm hoping that they reach out more to Texas as well.
                          MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
                          Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
                          Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
                          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Keep in note that Cristina Vee has been in the voice acting business since 2007 and has a lot of experience in voice acting (hence a good reason for Studiopolis to hire her in their dubs). And prior to moving to Los Angeles, Lucien Dodge worked on many audio books and commercials in addition to a few minor roles in the Pokemon anime. The only surprising casting is Amanda C. Miller and Erica Mendez in the dub. Apparently, I do hope that Studiopolis may consider Erik Kimerer, Sean Chiplock, Christine Marie Cabanos, Kira Buckland, and many others for the Sailor Moon dub, I can easily imagine Christine Marie Cabanos voicing Diana in the Sailor Moon dub IMHO.

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                            That was done in the past when union VA's were working in non-union projects, but those days are long gone. I'm not exactly sure what the thinking is with crediting like that, but it just outdated. Anyway, I'm certainly glad that more VA's from Bang Zoom are working for Studiopolis, and Alexis Tipton is expected to make an appearance in Sailor Moon, so I'm hoping that they reach out more to Texas as well.
                            Second that. Bang Zoom used to do what Studiopolis did, hire big name and veteran voice actors (especially union ones) in anime dubs where most of them were union. This is especially true with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, and Gurren Lagann where they were union dubs. However, with two of Bang Zoom's biggest clients gone ever since the 2008-2012 recession (Geneon and Bandai Entertainment), Bang Zoom realize they can't constantly hire Steve Blum, Kari Wahlgren, and Crispin Freeman in their anime dubs anymore, and opt to use non-union/ficore voice actors with newer talents instead.

Not only that, many of the big name voice actors had moved on into different careers or bigger name projects. Now, would I personally like Troy Baker to work in more anime dubs if something like Dog Days, Hunter x Hunter, or Strike the Blood get dubs? I would love to hear Troy Baker in more anime roles, but there is a huge demand for his motion capture work in many AAA video game titles (since games like The Last of Us and Call of Duty series has focused more on video game realism). Would I personally like to hear Sandy Fox in more loli roles in anime? I would also love to, but she's a union voice actress now and not to mention her entrepreneurship and environmentalism. That being said, other voice actors like Matthew Mercer and Christine Marie Cabanos had filled in Troy Baker's and Sandy Fox's shoes respectfully and has done well with their typecast just like what Troy Baker and Sandy Fox did in the past.

It's nice to have some nostalgia with the more experienced and well-known voice actors, but keep in note that voice actors are still human and many don't stay in one area forever.

EDIT: It seems that with the casting choices of the Sailor Moon dub, it looks like Studiopolis has finally broke their tradition of their "All-star cast" with their anime and video game dubs. I really hope Studiopolis would consider hiring newer voice talents in their future dubs and I hope Aniplex USA may consider working with Studiopolis in the near future.
                            Last edited by TheKawaiiTrain; 11-28-2014, 02:33 PM. Reason: forgot to mention this

Comment

Originally posted by TheKawaiiTrain View Post
                              Not only that, many of the big name voice actors had moved on into different careers or bigger name projects. Now, would I personally like Troy Baker to work in more anime dubs if something like Dog Days, Hunter x Hunter, or Strike the Blood get dubs? I would love to hear Troy Baker in more anime roles, but there is a huge demand for his motion capture work in many AAA video game titles (since games like The Last of Us and Call of Duty series has focused more on video game realism). Would I personally like to hear Sandy Fox in more loli roles in anime? I would also love to, but she's a union voice actress now and not to mention her entrepreneurship and environmentalism. That being said, other voice actors like Matthew Mercer and Christine Marie Cabanos had filled in Troy Baker's and Sandy Fox's shoes respectfully and has done well with their typecast just like what Troy Baker and Sandy Fox did in the past.
                              There's other non-union/ficore VAs who have filled in the shoes of union-only/older-generation/retired VAs. Keith Silverstein fills in Steve Blum's and Crispin Freeman's shoes, Lauren Landa and Cristina Vee fill in Kari Wahlgren's shoes, Benjamin Diskin and Bryce Papenbrook fill in Joshua Seth's shoes, Doug Erholtz fills in Michael Lindsay's shoes, Steve Staley fills in Yuri Lowenthal's shoes, Erik Kimerer fills in Johnny Yong Bosch's shoes when it comes with the kid hero roles, Laura Post fills in Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's shoes, and Cassandra Lee Morris fills in Melissa Fahn's shoes.

Originally posted by TheKawaiiTrain View Post
                              EDIT: It seems that with the casting choices of the Sailor Moon dub, it looks like Studiopolis has finally broke their tradition of their "All-star cast" with their anime and video game dubs. I really hope Studiopolis would consider hiring newer voice talents in their future dubs and I hope Aniplex USA may consider working with Studiopolis in the near future.
                              I doubt Aniplex would consider having their dubs done at Studiopolis, though they could use Studiopolis to do the dubs of Fate/Stay Night 2014 and the Durarara!! x2 series, especially considering that it's the studio most likely to use union-only VAs. Personally, I could see Aniplex use Ocean Studios as an alternative to union-only dubs done in California, considering that it's likely going to be cheaper than union-only LA dubs (though more expensive than regular LA non-union) and easier to have it done there than having to go through the stringent SAG-AFTRA.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X