Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer 2013 Dub Festival of Comedy! - Organizing Thread

Widgets Magazine
    Welcome to the second annual English Track Summer Dub Festival. Or, at least, its preliminary stages. The actual festival, the dub discussion and any other related activities people come up with, won't start for at least a couple weeks.

(Here are links to the first festival, from last year, the Summer 2012 Dub Festival (of Action!): Discussion (Main) Thread and Organizing Thread.)

This year's theme: COMEDY.

Funny. Crazy. Lame. Sarcastic. Dark. Whatever makes you laugh, or roll your eyes, whether it was supposed to be funny...or it just turned out that way.

The festival will begin Monday, July 1st.

For the next two weeks, in this thread, I will be soliciting suggestions of episode selections (ideally one, but no more than two, episodes; or a movie) from any anime dub that fits the theme, and volunteers to provide write-ups for those selections. Ideally the person suggesting a title and providing a write-up for it is one and the same. But if you only want to suggest your favorite comedy dubs, or help narrow down selections from them, that's also welcome. You can volunteer yourself to provide write-ups for as many titles as you're willing. (There is no definitive or required format for the write-ups: provide only an introduction, bullet point some highlights, or do a full-on review; it's up to you.)

Suggest a title and a selection from it, and, if you can, commit to posting for that selection sometime during the festival next month. Titles can be scheduled for the days people prefer, or if you would like to provide something but will be unavailable during the month, the write-ups can be PM'd to myself or others ahead of time to be posted.

Current Schedule:

Title and Selection: User Introducing: Date:
    1 Comic Party, Ep. 4 bctaris 7/2
    2 Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, ep. 7 Hitsugi Amachi 7/4
    3 Galaxy Angel Z, ep. 11 bctaris 7/7
    4 R.O.D. the TV, ep. 3 The Alaskan Assassin 7/8
    5 Azumanga Daioh, ep. 8 EmperorBrandon 7/10
    6 Patlabor the Mobile Police, ep. 27 Jimmie M 7/12
    7 Haganai, ep. 2 stardf29 7/14
    8 Midori Days, ep. 7 EmperorBrandon 7/18
    9 You're Under Arrest Mini-Specials, File 2 Jimmie M 7/20
    10 Ninja Nonsense, ep. 1 bctaris 7/22
    11 Pani Poni Dash, ep. 12 The Alaskan Assassin 7/24
    12 Golden Boy, ep. 2 EmperorBrandon 7/26
    13 Dokkoida!?, ep. 2 bctaris 7/28
    14 Cromartie High School, ep. 5 The Alaskan Assassin 7/31
    15 The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, ep. 5 Hitsugi Amachi 8/2
    16 Girls Bravo, ep. 12 Ayana Mudou 8/4
    17 Welcome to the N-H-K, ep. 3 EmperorBrandon 8/6
    18 Miami Guns, ep. 1 bctaris 8/9
    19 Excel Saga, eps. 3 & 22 The Alaskan Assassin 8/11
    20 Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle (S3), ep. 2 bctaris 8/13
    Last edited by bctaris; 08-10-2013, 12:14 AM. Reason: updated information
    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    TFP Forum Rules

Re: Summer 2013 Dub Festival: Organizing Thread

This would be my first time doing this, but I'd be glad to participate.

I see you did Action last year, so I guess this year's theme would be something else, perhaps Comedy, Drama, or even Romance. Comedy might be an interesting one, particularly if one compares it to the original Japanese script to see how some of the jokes might have changed in translation.
    Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

Originally posted by stardf29 View Post
      This would be my first time doing this, but I'd be glad to participate.
      Thanks. Consider yourself on the list.

I see you did Action last year, so I guess this year's theme would be something else, perhaps Comedy, Drama, or even Romance. Comedy might be an interesting one, particularly if one compares it to the original Japanese script to see how some of the jokes might have changed in translation.
      Musing about this last week it seemed comedy, working as a follow up to last year's action theme, was an easy go-to option. But I'm open to anything, if people have strong opinions one way or another about particular themes.

Good idea about talking about how jokes work in translation, though. The format of the individual dub sub-threads is open to any direction someone wants to take it, so stuff like that can be brought into the discussion as it happens. But if the theme, say, were comedy, as one of those additional festival components I'm talking about we could even have a separate "Dub Festival" thread, like a separate con panel, discussing that subject. (And if we could cajole some industry personnel back to the forum to add some weight to it...)
      TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Count me in too. I really enjoyed participating in last year's Dub Festival & am looking forward to this one as well.
        Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Natsumi Tsujimoto & Miyuki Kobayakawa (You're Under Arrest!)
        Blu-ray.com / MAL /Games / Figures
        Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

I've never done this before (I'm still pretty new to the boards), but this looks like a really cool idea! :D

I guess if I could pick a theme, it would be "classic", like shows from the 80s-mid 90s like Bubblegum Crisis, Ranma 1/2, Dirty Pair, Tenchi Muyo, Project A-Ko, Space Adventure Cobra: The Movie, Vampire Princess Miyu, Oh My Goddess, Slayers, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, etc. Heck, we could even throw in a Gundam and/or Dragon Ball, even though those shows weren't actually dubbed until the 2000s.
          Last edited by PurpleWarrior13; 06-02-2013, 01:02 AM.
          Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

The festival committee (its chairman, anyway) is going ahead with the obvious theme this year: COMEDY.

Funny. Crazy. Lame. Sarcastic. Dark.

Whatever makes you laugh, or roll your eyes, whether it was supposed to be funny...or it just turned out that way.

The festival will begin Monday, July 1st.

For the next two weeks, in this thread, I will be soliciting suggestions of episode selections (ideally one, but no more than two, episodes; or a movie) from any anime dub that fits the theme, and volunteers to provide write-ups for those selections. Ideally the person suggesting a title and providing a write-up for it is one and the same. But if you only want to suggest your favorite comedy dubs, or help narrow down selections from them, that's also welcome. You can volunteer yourself to provide write-ups for as many titles as you're willing. (There is no definitive or required format for the write-ups: provide only an introduction, bullet point some highlights, or do a full-on review; it's up to you.)

Suggest a title and a selection from it, and, if you can, commit to posting for that selection sometime during the festival next month. Titles can be scheduled for the days people prefer, or if you would like to provide something but will be unavailable during the month, the write-ups can be PM'd to myself or others ahead of time to be posted.

The list of titles, and their selections and volunteers will be recorded in the root post above.
            TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Re: Summer 2013 Dub Festival of Comedy!

Kicking this off, I'll offer up a selection (just to start with):

Comic Party
              , ep. 4.

I'll spend the whole time dissecting simply two words of dialogue.
              TFP Forum Rules

Comment

I'd like to offer up this piece of comedic goodness:

Patlabor the Mobile Police TV episode 27 (Features a classic breakdown by a certain command car driver )
                Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Natsumi Tsujimoto & Miyuki Kobayakawa (You're Under Arrest!)
                Blu-ray.com / MAL /Games / Figures
                Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

No Comedy line up would be complete without Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu Ep. 7.

Yes, the one with all the "swearing."
                  Avatar: Hinagiku Katsura from Hayate the Combat Butler.
                  Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                  I'm a little tired now...I want soda.
                  Casual

Comment

Then let me suggest Girls Bravo ep. 12, "Bravo At The Pool" the best body switch episode ever.
                    Avatar: Claire Augustus from Questionable Content

Comment

Apologies for pulling the old public TV/radio line, but this doesn't happen without you, the dub fan, providing examples for discussion.

Even if you have simply a top five list, say, of your favorite comedic dubs.

(I'll offer up some more selections this week, perhaps trying to highlight all of the different regions.)
                      TFP Forum Rules

Comment

R.O.D the TV, episode 3, "Let's Meet at Jinbocho"

That was easier to figure out than I thought. I would love to write this one, if i can thing of another title I will post.
                        Caretaker of Coupons & Deals thread.
                        Miracles aren't something that just happen.
                        They're something that people make happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Mikado View Post
                          R.O.D the TV, episode 3, "Let's Meet at Jinbocho"
                          Good deal thinking of comedic material from stuff considered straight-up action-adventure with mixed drama/comedy. (And I guess that kind of goes for Patlabor and FMP, too.) I just finished rewatching that series (in Japanese) and it gets so drama-heavy in the latter half I plum forgot about the sillier stuff in the beginning.

Thanks, so far, to Jimmie, Hitsugi, Ayana, and Akira.
                          TFP Forum Rules

Comment

It's really hard for me think on this one, for a variety of reasons. I'm more into watching anime in full, and in order. I don't tend to pick out individual episodes to watch, and when I think back about shows, I tend to think of them as a whole too. The bigger problem is just my memory can be bad, and some of the more desirable comedy dubs may have been ones I last heard many years ago. It's a little sad browsing through my watched list on ANN and realizing that so many shows I've found pretty funny just don't get dubbed anymore. After thinking around for a while, I've come up with a few specific episodes to suggest, and I think there's a variety of comedy to be had among them:

Azumanga Daioh, ep. 8
                            Golden Boy, ep. 2
                            Midori Days, ep. 7
                            Welcome to the N-H-K, ep. 3

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                              It's really hard for me think on this one, for a variety of reasons. I'm more into watching anime in full, and in order. I don't tend to pick out individual episodes to watch, and when I think back about shows, I tend to think of them as a whole too.
                              I have the same issue, as a matter of fact. The idea, of course, is to offer one-off highlights that people can easily sample, to more easily join along with the viewing and discussion, but parsing out that one episode can be difficult, and even unfair. Though I will say with comedy, it's often pulling from shows that are more episodic in nature, so some of the pressure is lessened.

... It's a little sad browsing through my watched list on ANN and realizing that so many shows I've found pretty funny just don't get dubbed anymore.
                              Isn't it? Yuruyuri, Nichijou, Working!, even a short-form show like Yurumates, just to name a small sample of the last couple years. So, so sad. It seems like the more popular and surer selling action-adventure and drama shows are more likely to be picked up and dubbed these days, while pure comedy--a spotty seller even during the boom--has been left behind, if it's picked up at all.

Why, you've given a grander purpose to this festival: honoring the dying tradition of dubbing comedies!

After thinking around for a while, I've come up with a few specific episodes to suggest, and I think there's a variety of comedy to be had among them:

Azumanga Daioh, ep. 8
                              Golden Boy, ep. 2
                              Midori Days, ep. 7
                              Welcome to the N-H-K, ep. 3
                              Sweet. Though following your issue, it's been awhile since I've seen those, so I can't recall specifics. Except AzuDai--I was thinking something from that would get a nod, and that's a perfect one. And I have a feeling that NHK episode is what I think it is... Thanks!
                              TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X