Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inu X Boku Secret Service Dub

Widgets Magazine
    Cast list is here (the exact same list as on the Blu-ray, and unfortunately the credits are static and not episode-specific, on both English and Japanese side of things).

All in all, I felt this was a pretty adequate, but enjoyable enough kind of dub. The casting choices looked safe from my perspective, and the dub pretty much holds true to that. There's no one miscast among the major characters, and they fit into their roles rather well. In general, not much stands out to me, though once it got into the emotional last arc, Patton and Haag did have some really impressive moments (I especially like how a particular tear-inducingly adorable scene in the final aired episode turned out).

Some comedy moments were really well done too. Wasn't sure what to expect of Matranga playing Kagerou, but it turned out to be quite interesting from the start, and when he went into his really over-the-top moments I found him quite hilarious. Shelley Calene-Black pulls off Nobara's perverted moments quite well.

Unfortunately, this dub was not free of Sentai QC oddities that seem to prevalent in their releases. The pronunciation of Japanese names was rather irritating from the start for me (rather expected, since I've had this problem with even the most enjoyable Foster dubs), but then when I got to the second episode it felt like it had got a little better, though still with annoyances like Miketsukami seemingly pronounced "Mikitsukami". Some inconsistencies with the pronunciation continued, but it didn't happen enough to be very noticeable for the most part. Another really odd consistency issue (that was quite noticeable) was that in the OVA episode, all of the sudden honorifics started being used! Don't know if it's because a different person took over for that episode, but due to the static credits I mentioned above, we'll never know unless someone at Seraphim says something.

I've seen missing dialogue lines reported on Bodacious Space Pirates, but rather than that, this release just has a line that sounds really off. Near the end of episode 6, there was a scene where Miketsukami has one line, and it didn't sound like Chris Patton to me at all. Not only did it sound like someone else voicing him, but it didn't sound like the character was supposed to either. Comparing to the Japanese version (a bit more of a pain to do thanks to LOCKED audio/subtitle options), it doesn't seem like the script was off, so not sure what happened there.

Re: Inu X Boku Secret Service Dub

Just finished up this series and it was great, it surprised me how much I enjoyed it, and I was really into the dub, Chris Patton and Hilary Haag were really fantastic in their lead roles and carried the dub well.

I also feel like Blake Shepard, David Matranga, and Shelley Calene-Black were cast in roles that were quite different from what I've usually heard them in, and it was nice to hear them pull off these different types of characters, they were great in their roles.

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
    but rather than that, this release just has a line that sounds really off. Near the end of episode 6, there was a scene where Miketsukami has one line, and it didn't sound like Chris Patton to me at all. Not only did it sound like someone else voicing him, but it didn't sound like the character was supposed to either.
    Yeah this was a REALLY odd moment, I don't know what could've happened there...

Comment

I finished up this dub earlier this week, and pretty much the only thing wrong with this dub is the way the names are pronounced, which I am used to expecting with Sentai dubs by now. The casting was spot on with Chris Patton, Hillary Haag, Monica Rial, and Greg Ayres being the perfect choices for their roles. Blake Shepard was cast in a role of someone that's different from what I am used to hearing, and from Zange's voice, I could not tell that it was Shepard in that role. But it just goes to show that Foster knows what he is doing in this dub on the casting front. Shelley Calene-Black seemed like the odd choice for Nobara given that in the Japanese dub she acts more motherlike, but it totally fits her mature personality.

I would like to know just what was going on at the end of episode 6, if it was an engineering snafu or something. I know that Foster likes to try out crazy things, but this is just ridiculous. Sentai has lately been getting sloppy with their products with missing credits, technical glitches, and of course, saying the names wrong.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
      Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

I know I'm just bringing up a really old thread at this point but I finished watching this series yesterday, I enjoyed the dub for the most part.

But like everyone else is saying the line at the end of episode 6 is so strange. Almost like an outtake was used or a line that was used as filler for another actor to work with and mistakenly included in the master or something.

Did it ever come out just what happened there?
        Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

I don't remember that line. I'm going to pop my disc in tonight and see for myself lol. All this talk about it has me pondering about it. xD

Comment

lol I don't have the set, but it does remind me about Fakir randomly saying that he would write a letter to the president in ADV's Princess Tutu dub...
            @Asrialys | MyAnimeList | DVD/BD Collection (aka My Backlog...)

Comment

I seemed to remember the line itself is actually what was spoken by Miketsukami in the Japanese track. That itself wasn't the issue, just the voice itself being completely off. Though now that I double check...

Subtitles: "That's fortunate. We'd have to erase any evidence."
              Dub: "That's unfortunate. If so, then we'd have to erase any evidence of it."

Unless I'm mishearing the "un" then there is at least one odd change in that does make quite the difference. That together with the OOC voice, and I wonder if Foster just decided to morph him into a completely different character in one scene for the heck of it. Or maybe he somehow didn't even realize it was Miketsukami there? We'll probably never know the story, but I'm intrigued.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X