Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodacious Space Pirates Dub

Widgets Magazine
    I watched the first disc of the Bodacious Space Pirates. One of the problems with this show is the very large cast, so I'm going to concentrate on the main cast.

Cast (from the cast announcements thread):
    Directed by Christopher Ayres

Marika Kato - Luci Christian
    Chiaki Kurihara - Caitlynn French
    Mami Endo - Brittney Karbowski
    Ririka Kato - Shelley Calene-Black
    Misa Grandwood - Carli Mosier
    Kane McDougall - Chris Patton
    Jenny Dolittle - Shannon Emerick
    Belinda Percy - Maggie Flecknoe
    Asuda Alhanko - Tiffany Terrell
    Izumi Yunomoto - Tiffany Grant
    Mylene Certon - Elizabeth Bannor
    Grurier Serenity - Monica Rial
    Flora Chapie - Margaret McDonald
    April Lambert - Hayley Adams
    Talvikki Launo - Genevieve Simmons
    Schiff Sydow - David Wald
    Lily Bell - Cynthia Martinez
    Maki Harada - Kriss Carr
    Ursula Abramov - Emily Neves
    Catherine - Genevieve Simmons
    Ai Hoshimiya - Margaret McDonald
    Yayoi Yoshitomi - Allison Sumrall
    Natalia Grennorth - Elizabeth Bannor
    Sasha Staple - Tiffany Terrell
    Hyakume - Kalob Martinez
    Coorie - Hilary Haag
    Schnitzer - George Manley
    Luca Kaoru - Monica Rial
    San Daime - Greg Ayres
    Grunhilde Serenity - Kalin Coates
    Narrator - Mike Yager

First off, honorifics were kept for the dub. So, the whole "There's no -CHAN!" joke stays (in the dub, it's "Drop the -chan"). Horray!

Marika Kato - Luci Christian give her an in between voice. Not adult, not a kid. She sounds like a non-angry, excitable Kaname (FMP!).
    Chiaki Kurihara - Caitlynn French sounds a little flat and robotic as Chiaki. Then again...Chiaki is supposed to stoic. She does pretty well when Chiaki is "broken" out of her usual demeanor.
    Mami Endo - Brittney Karbowski gives Mami a bubbly, cute voice. No problems there.
    Ririka Kato - Shelley Calene-Black. I don't have anything to say here. Ms. Calene-Black does a great woman's voice.
    Misa Grandwood - Carli Mosier give a slightly different voice to Misa than her Japanese seriyuu. The voice is deeper, flat, but pretty sexy.
    Luca Kaoru & Grurier Serenity - Monica Rial. While Ms. Rial gives Grurier her typical little girl voice, for Luca it's completely different. I've never heard this voice out her before. It sounds close to the Japanese seriyuu. Also, with Grurier, Ms. Rial reins in her usual annoyed little girl voice when the cast meets her and uses a more authoritative voice (she is a princess after all).
    Jenny Dolittle - Shannon Emerick is pretty dead on with Jenny's voice. Mature, slightly authoritative.
    Coorie - Hilary Haag - Yep. Perfect casting. I wonder if my Haag sat there during the voice work with food and stuffed them into her mouth as she did the voice.
    With the males, the voices are great, so no problems there.
    The rest of the Yacht club sounds pretty good. There's not much of them in the first half though.

There's one weird part during the dub. When Misa is giving her lecture to Marika and Chiaki on the history of pirates with her clever little display, there's a added line by Luci Christian "The history of pirates. Arrrrrrrrrrr!" during the closeup of the display. In the Japanese, Misa starts talking when that display is up, so when watching the dub the lines are pushed back a little (Misa starts talking in the dub after the closeup). No biggie, I wonder if the line was done adlib.
    Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Re: Bodacious Space Pirates Dub

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
    Jenny Dolittle - Shannon Emerick

Jenny Dolittle - Shannon Emerick is pretty dead on with Jenny's voice. Mature, slightly authoritative.
    Cool ! Now it's definitely worth getting in my book.
    Currently Watching | MAL Profile
    Let's make anime great again!

Comment

Looks like a good cast to be sure. My copy arrived today & I'm looking forward to watching it again with the dub before too long.
      Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Natsumi Tsujimoto & Miyuki Kobayakawa (You're Under Arrest!)
      Blu-ray.com / MAL /Games / Figures
      Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

Yay! Sounds great! I'll have to wait awhile for my copy, as I ordered it with Saiyuki and part 2 of persona.

Comment

Since I'm watching the UN-GO dub and remembering how common this is for Seraphim dubs these days, how are the pronunciations, pronunciation consistency, flap-matching, and voice actor consistency? I'm glad to hear that everything is pretty good, but I'm finding these factors pretty jarring once again.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          Fandom Post Radio

Comment

First off, honorifics were kept for the dub. So, the whole "There's no -CHAN!" joke stays (in the dub, it's "Drop the -chan"). Horray!

*sigh/facepalm*
            "Pledge $1000 or more: I will yell your name really loud while I chase a duck."
            -My Collection
            --[plug] I review and blog about anime at Akemi's Anime World [/plug]

Comment

Originally posted by Legion View Post

*sigh/facepalm*
              The biggest running gag of the series would be ruined otherwise.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              Fandom Post Radio

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post

*sigh/facepalm*
                Really? No way it could be translated/adapted to make sense in spoken English?
                -My Collection

Comment

*sigh/facepalm*
                  No way that wouldn't scream "WE'RE OBVIOUSLY TRYING TO TRANSLATE -CHAN INTO ENGLISH!", so it's much better to just leave it.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  Fandom Post Radio

Comment

*sigh/facepalm*
                    No way that wouldn't scream "WE'RE OBVIOUSLY TRYING TO TRANSLATE -CHAN INTO ENGLISH!", so it's much better to just leave it.
                    Well, "lesser of two evils" may be the way to put it. Honorifics in dubs may be a lost battle in some respects, and this is a decent example. But Sentai has earned a reputation of hewing its dub scripts awfully close to its base translation and sub scripts, perhaps for budgetary reasons as much as anything else, and I can't help thinking that a few ADR adapters of old may have been able to figure out a clever fix. "Clever" in the respect of alluding to the situation without directly aping the original language or concept. (Though I'll wimp out here and leave it to others to think of examples since I can't clearly remember the situation in the original at the moment.) In this era, however, the easy option ("don't bother translating; anime fans 'get it' anyway these days--and hey, less time/money wasted trying to work around it, and maybe we can claim authenticity") is taken much more often.

I know Legion is (or was) more strict about this issue, but my disclaimer is simple: stories set in Japan, or at least with obviously Japanese people interacting with each other (say, Hachi and Ai in Planetes​, to pick another space anime I re-watched recently) honorifics are tolerable. But in a concept like Bodacious Space Pirates? Unfortunate. But also unfortunately, perhaps, we're like dinosaurs with this issue among recent generations of dub fans.
                    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                    TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post

*sigh/facepalm*
                      Well, "lesser of two evils" may be the way to put it. Honorifics in dubs may be a lost battle in some respects, and this is a decent example. But Sentai has earned a reputation of hewing its dub scripts awfully close to its base translation and sub scripts, perhaps for budgetary reasons as much as anything else, and I can't help thinking that a few ADR adapters of old may have been able to figure out a clever fix. "Clever" in the respect of alluding to the situation without directly aping the original language or concept. (Though I'll wimp out here and leave it to others to think of examples since I can't clearly remember the situation in the original at the moment.)
                      Well, as much as I have mixed feelings about the man's work, especially as of late, Stephen Foster has had his moments where he sidestepped honorific issues quite well. Replacing "Kurumi-chan" with "yes, ma'am!" is one such example that really sticks in my mind. That simple change preserved the intent of a scene in an early episode of Steel Angel Kurumi perfectly and is the sort of creativity I've always wanted to see him stick to, instead of the creativity he showed later in the series with Hiliary Haag's character... yeesh.

I know Legion is (or was) more strict about this issue, but my disclaimer is simple: stories set in Japan, or at least with obviously Japanese people interacting with each other (say, Hachi and Ai in Planetes​, to pick another space anime I re-watched recently) honorifics are tolerable. But in a concept like Bodacious Space Pirates? Unfortunate. But also unfortunately, perhaps, we're like dinosaurs with this issue among recent generations of dub fans.
                      Oh, I still am. I've not heard one instance of an honorific in a dub (or duborific as I like to call them in my mind) that I felt was necessary or unavoidable. To be fair I have not seen Bodacious Space Pirates but I sincerely doubt it is going to be the exception.
                      -My Collection

Comment

Well, "lesser of two evils" may be the way to put it. Honorifics in dubs may be a lost battle in some respects, and this is a decent example. But Sentai has earned a reputation of hewing its dub scripts awfully close to its base translation and sub scripts, perhaps for budgetary reasons as much as anything else, and I can't help thinking that a few ADR adapters of old may have been able to figure out a clever fix. "Clever" in the respect of alluding to the situation without directly aping the original language or concept. (Though I'll wimp out here and leave it to others to think of examples since I can't clearly remember the situation in the original at the moment.) In this era, however, the easy option ("don't bother translating; anime fans 'get it' anyway these days--and hey, less time/money wasted trying to work around it, and maybe we can claim authenticity") is taken much more often.

When I was watching this show in Japanese, I was definitely hoping the dub kept the honorifics in for that joke every time it came up, which was quite often. I'll be the first to admit that Seraphim (or at least Foster; I suppose Bickham and the others are slightly better about it) hews far too close to the Japanese most of the time. Not that I don't think that dubs should be as close to the original as possible, but I draw the line when it doesn't sound natural anymore. That's one of the issues I'm reminded of as I watch another Seraphim dub (again, to be fair this is specifically Foster's direction that I notice this mostly from, so Ayres may prove better): they don't even seem to feel the need to write lines that match the flaps properly, so while I definitely appreciate how quickly they manage to get new series out compared to FUNimation, it seems like this is probably connected to the fact that they probably don't do much more that grammar-check the translations and throw them onto the dub scripts.

FUNimation, on the other hand, occasionally seems a bit too liberal with their scripting, as I notice when I've watched the show in Japanese. I know there was no way to dub Steins;Gate in a way that could match up to the Japanese, but some of the "adaptive" choices that ended up in there felt pretty painful to me. So perhaps my own personal specifications as to how literal and how liberal to be with each circumstance can never realistically be fulfilled, and I just have to accept that, if I know the Japanese version of the anime well enough, I'm going to be disappointed in some way or another by the dub. Which is fine, and I have accepted it as I begin to watch the dubs of stuff I've primarily already watched via simulcasts, but when the discussion comes up, I figure I can throw in my thoughts that can't help but building up in the back of my mind as I notice certain things in these dubs.

Ironically, the pronunciation issue is exactly the opposite: Pop in a Sentai disc and you can be sure you'll be hearing nearly every Japanese name mispronounced, and sometimes even with inconsistency in pronunciation, which is even worse (although even that's not as bad as inconsistencies in the cast itself!), while FUNimation dubs of late are more often than not as spot-on to the correct pronunciation as I can expect from Americans.

So although I have a certain soft spot for the Houston crew, and there's definitely some major talent, I also have my problems that come up more consistently than... certain things that should be consistent in these dubs. And yes, FUNimation has their own quirks that I tend to take issue with. "There's just no pleasing these people, I tell ya!" But yeah, I'm still likely to pick up any company's release of a series I liked enough to watch all the way through from the simulcast if it includes a dub, because I'm confident enough in the overall quality of each major studio at this point that I'm still curious to see how each dub turns out, and I can't remember the last time I wasn't able to make it through an entire dub that recently came out of one of the major currently active studios.

Alright, I promise that's all I have to say right now!
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        Fandom Post Radio

Comment

Just got the Blu-Ray today, but something weird came up. In Episode 4, when the Club President tells Marika to prepare for every eventuality, the camera switches to her. In the sub, she says "Roger!" but in the dub, all you hear is the sound of her clothes moving. Did I get a defective copy or is this persistent in every copy? Because if this was intentional, IT'S INFURIATINGLY DISTRACTING.
                          Last edited by Skullman; 01-10-2013, 12:13 AM.
                          Avatar: Rokuro "Rock" Okajima from Black Lagoon
                          Watching: Dagashi Kashi
                          Reading: School-Live!
                          Streaming: Space Patrol Luluco & My Hero Academia
                          Waiting For: Squid Girl Season 2, Monster Musume & Konosuba

Comment

It's just one line that's not dubbed. It annoyed me a bit too, but it's far from being the end of the world, and so far the rest of the dub I've seen is great.
                            Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
                            Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jun Kuga View Post
                              It's just one line that's not dubbed. It annoyed me a bit too, but it's far from being the end of the world, and so far the rest of the dub I've seen is great.
                              I agree, the dub is very high quality, and I'm loving it. But that's just strange, I've NEVER seen that happen before...
                              Avatar: Rokuro "Rock" Okajima from Black Lagoon
                              Watching: Dagashi Kashi
                              Reading: School-Live!
                              Streaming: Space Patrol Luluco & My Hero Academia
                              Waiting For: Squid Girl Season 2, Monster Musume & Konosuba

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X