X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1 & Only Cast Announcements and Rumors Thread

Originally posted by Victor Fenix View Post
    Originally posted by Mesousa2877 View Post
    Also, Blake getting the main role...again.

How are people not sick of him yet?
    he's Houston's Johnny Yong Bosch and Erik Kimerer, man. They're never gonna stop using him. (now for Houston to get pre-lay and games to flesh out its voice pool)
    I'm not sure if I'd compare him to Erik who has only gotten 3 or so leading roles and hardly anything else. A better comparison would probably be Bryce Papenbrook.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueHeracross View Post
      Originally posted by Victor Fenix View Post
      Originally posted by Mesousa2877 View Post
      Also, Blake getting the main role...again.

How are people not sick of him yet?
      he's Houston's Johnny Yong Bosch and Erik Kimerer, man. They're never gonna stop using him. (now for Houston to get pre-lay and games to flesh out its voice pool)
      I'm not sure if I'd compare him to Erik who has only gotten 3 or so leading roles and hardly anything else. A better comparison would probably be Bryce Papenbrook.
      They'll start using Erik more, considering that he sounds very similar to JYB. Also, I would compare Bryce with Clint Bickham and Greg Ayres.

@Buckeye: Adam Gibbs confirmed that Scott Gibbs is not related to him

Comment

^ Again, how close someone sounds to another person is totally in the ears of the beholder. I highly doubt someone will use an actor more because he "sounds very similar" to another actor (unless they're actually finding a substitute). One person might think they sound close, while another might think they sound completely different. For instance, I don't think Bryce nor Clint sound anything remotely like Greg Ayres. Actually, I don't think a single other person on God's green earth sounds anything like Greg Ayres!
        Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
          ^ Again, how close someone sounds to another person is totally in the ears of the beholder. I highly doubt someone will use an actor more because he "sounds very similar" to another actor (unless they're actually finding a substitute). One person might think they sound close, while another might think they sound completely different. For instance, I don't think Bryce nor Clint sound anything remotely like Greg Ayres. Actually, I don't think a single other person on God's green earth sounds anything like Greg Ayres!
          My thoughts exactly. He was a very unique voice that is instantly recognizable to me (like Vic Mignogna).
          My Anime List
          Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
            Agreed. There are many reasons why a certain VA might be used more frequently on projects than other VAs. However, regardless of whether someone thinks Erik Kimerer sounds more like Johnny Yong Bosch or Bryce Papenbrook is not, and will not, be one of them UNLESS you are trying to find a sound-a-like - which is rarely the case. Availability, vocal range and skill, speed, the ability to say the line with the right nuances and right emotions on the first try for every line (Something that both Kari Wahlgren and Laura Bailey share, despite sounding very different.) - tend to be higher in the priority queue.

Heck, voice comparisons between VAs are highly subjective - long-time readers of Anime on DVD/Mania might remember how FUNimation said how Mona Marshall voiced a Ryoko that was indistinguishable from Petrea Burchard's performance according to the on-staff Tenchi fan. Whatever else about Marshall's performance, it was not indistinguishable from Burchard's.

C.T.
            You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

I'd like to clarify that I brought up Bryce because he has a lot of main roles like Johnny and Blake, not because I thought he sounds like either of them.

Comment

Like they say, it doesn't matter what your voice sounds like, or how many characters you can sound like, the most important part of voice acting is the ACTING part. If you're a talented actor that can solidly deliver lines, you're already a step ahead of so many other hopefuls. Micah Solusod didn't get work because he "sounded" like Johnny Yong Bosch. He got work because he's a talented actor (and I don't even think he sounds THAT close to JYB anyway). True there is sometimes a "sound" they're looking for, and they're still paying attention to how your voice sounds, but that's only a first impression. You need to live up to that sound with your acting abilities.

Also if you think Mona Marshall sounded anything remotely like Petrea Burchard, I think you need your hearing checked. Mary McGlynn would've been a MUCH better replacement, as talented as Mona is, but I digress, and that's all just my opinion! XDDD

Originally posted by BlueHeacross
                I'd like to clarify that I brought up Bryce because he has a lot of main roles like Johnny and Blake, not because I thought he sounds like either of them.
                Fair enough, and they are cast in similar roles. I just disagree with Fenix's constantly bringing up "equivalents" from different areas. It's a bit weird, and I think every actor should be judged as their own performer instead of being compared to another, especially as more and more anime voice actors are getting work in different areas...
                Last edited by PurpleWarrior13; 09-05-2015, 01:01 AM.
                Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

I'd like to remind everyone that this is really going off-rails here. The purpose of this topic is to discuss about cast announcements and rumors, not about voice actor comparisons. And yes, like cxt217 says, voice actor comparisons are often highly subjective (hell, I even do a lot of voice actor comparisons in TV Tropes website), but we are meant to have a civilized discussion and agree/disagree with each other without any hostile reprisal from other members and you guys are free to discuss your disagreements/agreements about the casting decisions. I'll be creating a completely separate thread in regards to voice actor comparisons. Until then, this thread is limited to discussions about cast announcements and rumors only.
                  Avatar: Sizuru Nakatsu from Rewrite! (if the anime and VN gets an English dub, Faye Mata should voice this character)

Comment

Originally posted by TheKawaiiTrain View Post
                    Until then, this thread is limited to discussions about cast announcements and rumors only.
                    Thanks, but please leave that to actual moderators. "1&Only" refers to this being the one and only thread for cast announcements, not that it is "only" for cast announcements, as the pattern of behavior in this thread from the beginning--casting comparisons, objections, philosophy, whatever--has proved.

Thank you for the concern some of you have shown about where things have go from time to time--and any negative instigating will be dealt with swiftly, trust me--but some of this stuff I would encourage people to deal with on the "local level", simply by not responding or piling on, and thereby extending the "derailment" that seems so objectionable.
                    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                    TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                      Originally posted by TheKawaiiTrain View Post
                      Until then, this thread is limited to discussions about cast announcements and rumors only.
                      Thanks, but please leave that to actual moderators. "1&Only" refers to this being the one and only thread for cast announcements, not that it is "only" for cast announcements, as the pattern of behavior in this thread from the beginning--casting comparisons, objections, philosophy, whatever--has proved.

Thank you for the concern some of you have shown about where things have go from time to time--and any negative instigating will be dealt with swiftly, trust me--but some of this stuff I would encourage people to deal with on the "local level", simply by not responding or piling on, and thereby extending the "derailment" that seems so objectionable.
                      No problem, I'm just a regular forum member just to help. I decided to create a separate thread for any voice actor comparisons, so people should take that kind of discussion here.
                      Avatar: Sizuru Nakatsu from Rewrite! (if the anime and VN gets an English dub, Faye Mata should voice this character)

Comment

Word coming out of Dragon*Con is Adam Gibbs is playing Shinichi in Parasyte -the maxim-.

Comment

Originally posted by Rootsofjustice View Post
                          Word coming out of Dragon*Con is Adam Gibbs is playing Shinichi in Parasyte -the maxim-.
                          If that casting choice is indeed accurate then I'm content with Adam in the role he's no Chris Patton but he's showed some potential as Shinjurou Yuuki in the Un-Go dub. He's just going have to emote in a much more effective way for this role because in the past his emotional delivery has been a bit underwhelming at times. It would be nice to see Chris Patton and Josh Morrison grab solid supporting roles in the dub.

Comment

• Re: The Heroic Legend of Arslan

Today, the first episode of the Sindhura arc is out, and here is the first of the Sindhura citizens to appear is Rajendra, who is voiced by Ian Sinclair. The rest of the Sindhura guys will appear next week.
                            MyAnimeList | Avatar: Main, Ascendance of a Bookworm
                            Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
                            Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
                            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                              Today, the first episode of the Sindhura arc is out, and here is the first of the Sindhura citizens to appear is Rajendra, who is voiced by Ian Sinclair. The rest of the Sindhura guys will appear next week.
                              Did Ian give him any kind of accent? Curious how they'll decide to handle Sindhura.
                              My Anime List
                              Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Chisel View Post
                                Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                                Did Ian give him any kind of accent? Curious how they'll decide to handle Sindhura.
                                Nope, he speaks normally. Although Shindhura is a representation of India, it is not actually India, so it would be better to play it safe without the accents. THis show takes place in Iran, Pakistan, and India, so it would be leading to too many difficulties if accents are to be implemented.
                                MyAnimeList | Avatar: Main, Ascendance of a Bookworm
                                Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
                                Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
                                The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X