X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1 & Only Cast Announcements and Rumors Thread

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
    Originally posted by Rootsofjustice View Post
    Did a quick ANN check on the staff side of things, and I'm left to assume this dub in particular was done at a California studio. Not sure if New Generation or NYAV Post at this time though.
    Looking at the engineer's work, he's only done Animaze stuff interestingly enough. Maybe it's Magnitude 8 Post (are they still around?)
    I'm for now assuming it to be New Generation Pictures. Even though I'm not particularly interested in BlazBlue, I have to say I'm quite impressed FUNimation went the extra mile for it.

Comment

Surprised that FUNi took this much effort for such a universally panned adaptation. I mean, the only noticeable absences are Philece Sampler as Taokaka (the character's not listed) and Laura Bailey as Platinum the Trinity (Alexis Tipton is doing it instead, presumably in-house). Either they had elsewhere to be or even they felt it was too much of a turkey to work on (though since Travis Willingham somehow made it, despite being about as busy as his wife, the latter's somewhat doubtful).

Comment

Originally posted by MadMan400096 View Post
        Surprised that FUNi took this much effort for such a universally panned adaptation. I mean, the only noticeable absences are Philece Sampler as Taokaka (the character's not listed) and Laura Bailey as Platinum the Trinity (Alexis Tipton is doing it instead, presumably in-house). Either they had elsewhere to be or even they felt it was too much of a turkey to work on (though since Travis Willingham somehow made it, despite being about as busy as his wife, the latter's somewhat doubtful).
        They had 3 anime adaptations that used a California cast around the same time(it looks like Danganronpa will also likely retain the game cast) so it looks like they were able to afford to get most of the game cast for this and Neptunia [Neptunia is only one of the three that I'm buying]. This also erases some of the bad feelings from fans about their treatment of Shana. I'll admit that I had thought that Funimation did not care about dub continuity, but I have been praising this and I am very happy with the news.

I'm sure that BlazBlue will sell even if the anime is considered bad(then again it couldn't be worse than Diabolik Wifebeaters, could it?)

Comment

Did a quick ANN check on the staff side of things, and I'm left to assume this dub in particular was done at a California studio. Not sure if New Generation or NYAV Post at this time though.
          Looking at the engineer's work, he's only done Animaze stuff interestingly enough. Maybe it's Magnitude 8 Post (are they still around?)
          Ha, "Big Phil" Brewster, yeah, that's an old familiar crew name. Les Claypool III's engineer at his Magnitude 8 recording studio. Claypool and Mag8 were kind of part and parcel with Animaze/ZRO Limit, but I'd kind of understood he'd backed off from the anime scene when Animaze did, and at least after Kevin Seymour died. But wouldn't be surprised if employees/contract workers(?) like Brewster didn't show up in other places. Would be neat to see Magnitude 8 back in the scene, but could be Brewster has his own recording studio, perhaps.
          Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
          Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
          Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Originally posted by MadMan400096 View Post
            Alexis Tipton did mention back in November that she was heading to California for a few roles, so this was probably one of them. Bit surprised they managed to get Travis Willingham and not Laura Bailey, although if we take Tipton's recording dates into account, Bailey mentions being sick around that time .

It is odd that Taokaka and Tager aren't listed, but it could also be a scenario where they chose not to be listed. Also, it's nice to see a remnant of Animaze show up again with Phil Brewster's involvement.

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris
              Ha, "Big Phil" Brewster, yeah, that's an old familiar crew name. Les Claypool III's engineer at his Magnitude 8 recording studio. Claypool and Mag8 were kind of part and parcel with Animaze/ZRO Limit, but I'd kind of understood he'd backed off from the anime scene when Animaze did, and at least after Kevin Seymour died. But wouldn't be surprised if employees/contract workers(?) like Brewster didn't show up in other places. Would be neat to see Magnitude 8 back in the scene, but could be Brewster has his own recording studio, perhaps.
              It could be Studiopolis handling this dub, considering that most of the Animaze/ZRO Limit/Magnitude 8 post staff moved over to Studiopolis after Animaze closed down in late 2009. Also, as shown on wayback machine, Magnitude 8 Post was last active around 2009 and pretty much closed down due to the recession.

Originally posted by AbZeroNow View Post
              This also erases some of the bad feelings from fans about their treatment of Shana.
              Well, for Shana, there were multiple circumstances involved that caused Funi to inhouse dub the remainder: it was heavily delayed thanks to the Geneon/Universal red tape BS (Funi even mentioned on an ANNCast that they contacted Ocean for it but decided to inhouse dub it instead), it has a lot more episodes, and the USD/CAD ratio wasn't going in the USD's favor at the time (now that the ratio's going in the USD's favor, I guess Funi could now give the remainder to Ocean if they want to). Also, don't forget Fafner and Last Exile.

Now for the cast, I am glad they managed to get back most, if not all, of the game's cast, though I would have loved to see Sean Schemmel as Bang since he would make a better alternative to Tony Oliver than Steve Kramer did.
              Last edited by Victor Fenix; 03-17-2015, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Fenix View Post
                It could be Studiopolis handling this dub, considering that most of the Animaze/ZRO Limit/Magnitude 8 post staff moved over to Studiopolis after Animaze closed down in late 2009. Also, as shown on wayback machine, Magnitude 8 Post was last active around 2009 and pretty much closed down due to the recession.
                There was no large staff at those companies to move to anywhere, just a handful of people: Animaze's Seymour, ZRO producer Yutaka Maseba, and Les Claypool III, a few regulars, like Brewster, and what freelancers were needed, project to project. Mag8 was a separate recording facility that Animaze/ZRO used, owned by Claypool--it never closed down, and is known now as L.C. Sound Services.
                Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

I'm very happy with all of these casting reprisals. I know FUNi is working as hard as they can to get them back. This takes away the bad feelings I had with Trigun and Shana. For Shana, I understand it was 50 episodes, an OVA, and a movie left, and for a kind of niche show with a polarizing dub, it probably just made more sense to finish it cheaply in-house (as opposed to Black Lagoon, which was only 5 OVAs for a very popular show with a highly praised dub). I still don't know why they didn't have the Trigun movie recorded in LA. Johnny Yong Bosch was the only cast member that came back, and we all remember what went down with Jeff Nimoy and Dorothy Fahn...

I'm worried about no Laura Bailey though. Is she like totally gone from anime now? I hope she'll come back to voice Maka in Soul Eater Not. I know she said she was sick during that period, but I wouldn't think dubbing was so rushed that she couldn't come in. Usually that "window" is long enough for someone to recover. Hopefully it wasn't something serious.
                  Last edited by PurpleWarrior13; 03-17-2015, 12:09 PM.
                  Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

It's a shame that this show is yet another failed anime adaptation of a VG, but it's great to see that Funimation outsourced this dub that ought to satisfy BlazBlue fans. I wonder what studio was used here as it's clearly somewhere in LA. And Alexis Tipton said that she was doing voicework for two projects in LA, and this would be one of them (and ironically it's for something that Funimation licensed and commissioned the dub for). The announcements sure have been coming at us this week, and I'm expecting at least one more with the simulcast dub for Maria the Virgin Witch beginning on Sunday.
                    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
                    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
                    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
                    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                      Mag8 was a separate recording facility that Animaze/ZRO used, owned by Claypool--it never closed down, and is known now as L.C. Sound Services.
                      Ah, so that's what they are now. I've been wondering since I saw the mention of Claypool in the Discotek Castle of Cagliostro thread.

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                        Originally posted by Victor Fenix View Post
                        There was no large staff at those companies to move to anywhere, just a handful of people: Animaze's Seymour, ZRO producer Yutaka Maseba, and Les Claypool III, a few regulars, like Brewster, and what freelancers were needed, project to project. Mag8 was a separate recording facility that Animaze/ZRO used, owned by Claypool--it never closed down, and is known now as L.C. Sound Services.
                        I do have to wonder whether L.C. Sound Services is still around. The website looks moribund, their Facebook page was down when I looked at it the other day, and the last entry I could find via Google search was a posting from 2013.

C.T.
                        You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

• Re: Hyperdimension Neptunia

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                          Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                          I have no interest in this, but it's always nice to see cast consistencies, especially when it ends up being a cross between different areas. I assume Mike and Andrew getting some time at New Generation and wrapping up the Dallas folks at home is more likely than flying an almost entirely LA-based cast to Dallas for one little show. It would be interesting to hear some word on exactly how this was done.
                          I'm curious about this too. Some Tweets from last night imply more was done in-house than we're giving FUNimation credit for. I'm assuming doing it, Danganronpa, BlazBlue at the same time, and possibly other things like One Piece and Fairy Tail made the trip worthwhile to those who made it.
                          That's a good point; I have no investment in any of these game-based franchises so I forgot that FUNimation has so many series with established LA casts coming out around the same time. I'll be very interested to see where they might've fit some of them into their regular dubs if that's the case, although it might be dangerous to try doing that for Broadcast Dubs since they might need them back for later appearances after they've already gone back home.
                          Well at the very least, Mike did confirm on the latest One Piece Podcast that 99% of this dub was recorded in Dallas.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

• Re: Death Parade

Ginty: Robert McCollum
                            Oculus: Jeremy Schwartz
                            Castra: Morgan Garrett

Comment

• Maria The Virgin Witch

MARIA – Alexis Tipton
                              ARTEMIS – Whitney Rodgers
                              PRIAPOS – Jerry Jewell
                              EZEKIEL – Leah Clark
                              JOSEPH – Austin Tindle
                              ANN – Lara Woodhull
                              BERNARD – Sonny Strait
                              MICHAEL – Caitlin Glass
                              GALFA – Chris Rager

ADR Director – Sonny Strait
                              Lead ADR Engineer – Matt Grounds
                              Assistant ADR Engineer – Jose Sandoval
                              Translator – Nobuaki Taguchi
                              Script Writer – Patrick Seitz

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/...-announcement/
                              Last edited by Icysoda; 03-20-2015, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Re: Maria The Virgin Witch

I figured that Strait would be the director as rumors indicated that he was directing a simulcast dub, and with this being the only one remaining that there was no question that this was his show. That's a rather interesting decision to cast Jewell as Pirapos as I was expecting a female to voice him, and I don't recall Jewell voicing any boys that young before. Anyway, that's all for simulcast dubs and I must say that Funimation might want to scale back on them a little because some of them just are not coming out very well.
                                MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
                                Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
                                Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
                                The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X