Widgets Magazine

What Are You Listening To?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It has been awhile since I wrote up a dub review, but after seeing something that has never been done before (and for good reason) that I decided to get this out. The show I'm writing up for is A.I.C.O. Incarnation, which is a Netflix exclusive show that isn't airing on TV in Japan. Netflix has kept their anime dubs in LA, but the dub for this show was done by a little-known studio in Miami that primarily does Spanish and Portuguese dubs of various American cartoons.

So to sum things up, the direction was just all over the place in this dub. At least they did a good job with the casting as the voices fit their characters well. The problem is squarely on the execution aspect as the biggest problem is that the voices are just muddled. Voices are supposed to be sharp and focused, but here I get the feeling that these actors never felt comfortable with their roles. Christina Jopling's performance as Aiko was pretty much the only performance that would pass had it been done in LA at a studio Netflix typically uses. And another critical fail is the pronunciation of names as they just made a comedy of errors with that. For example, Aiko Tachibana's name, I hear someone calling her Eiko, while Tachibana is also pronounced Tashibana and Takibana by certain characters. There's just no excuse for that kind of issue as studios usually have a pronunciation guide so that something like this doesn't happen (at least if it's not pronounced correctly, it's pronounced the same way for everybody). That said, while I would like to give these Miami people a chance, they definitely need to get some better directors there as the guy in charge felt overwhelmed and disinterested.

Anyway, from what I hear, the Spanish dub of this show is amazing, so Japanese or Spanish would be the way to go with this and hopefully, either Netflix keeps things in LA. If they can't use a studio in LA, they should at least go out to a place with an established talent pool like New York or Vancouver. But if they were to go back to Miami again, they need to have somebody who knows what they are doing head over to Miami to direct them.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Ochaco Uraraka, My Hero Academia
    Watching: Chihayafuru 2, Perfect Insider, DB Super, One Piece, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

• Recently I saw the dubs of Mai Mai Miracle, Your Name, and In This Corner of the World. All three I found to be very satisfactory, but Mai Mai Miracle is probably my favorite of the three, mainly because I loved the chemistry between the youngsters. One of my favorite scenes in the dub was the scene where the kids get drunk on chocolate drinks. Messed up as that scene is, I found it to be outrageously funny. NYAV Post is really stepping it up in terms of dub quality. Michael Sinterniklaas is definitely a "go-to" director.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine
      Working...
      X