Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with post office and media mail

Widgets Magazine
    Just wanted to ask here, to see if anyone else has had this issue, and how it was resolved. I had 3 large boxes from RightStuf come in today, and the postmaster (who had already left when I got there) deemed all 3 boxes as ineligible because of them containing "comics", which are "not educational," and holding them all as postage due. Reading the MM guidelines, I do see the line they are citing, but it is with an or clause for "wholly of reading material", which is what I would consider manga to be. Given that the charge is a little over $64, I fully plan on fighting this, and wanted angles that have worked in the past...
    -dunno001
    -Here, kity, kitty, kitty...
    -Moderator for US region, General anime, Off-topic, Gaming, Manga, and Site news forums

Media Mail doesn't require that items be educational.

According to this link (https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm), comics are excluded because they violate a rule that items must not contain advertising. But there's a world of difference with the advertising found within traditional Western comics (nonstop advertising page after page for all sorts of random stuff), compared to a couple token pages found at the end of manga volumes advertising new company releases. Therefor I'd argue that manga is far closer to the exception allowing "incidental announcements of other books" than the reason Western comics are excluded.

Print out the rules above and argue the distinction (maybe bring an example manga) and they should note the differences and cut you a break.

Whenever I ship manga I simply state that they're books (which they are), and it's never questioned.
    Last edited by Spoofer; 06-07-2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine
    Working...
    X