Widgets Magazine

RightStuf 2018 Holiday Sales Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    So we get an Attack on Titan "theme" for today, which means I'm safe.

    Comment


    • #32
      I'm safe for today. I already own the first two seasons of Attack on Titan, while I have no interest in getting the Junior High parody spinoff. Bring on the next day.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
      Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        I'm safe for today. I already own the first two seasons of Attack on Titan, while I have no interest in getting the Junior High parody spinoff. Bring on the next day.
        I'm the opposite--DON'T want the series proper (streaming once was enough), but I own the spinoff.

        Comment


        • #34
          https://www.rightstufanime.com/sale/todays-cart-buster

          GANGSTA Complete Series Blu-Ray/DVD
          Retail Price: $64.98

          Your Price: $25.99


          GANGSTA Limited Edition Blu-Ray/DVD
          Retail Price: $84.98

          Your Price: $33.99

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by WTK View Post
            https://www.rightstufanime.com/sale/todays-cart-buster

            GANGSTA Complete Series Blu-Ray/DVD
            Retail Price: $64.98

            Your Price: $25.99


            GANGSTA Limited Edition Blu-Ray/DVD
            Retail Price: $84.98

            Your Price: $33.99
            This was added too:

            Wolf Children Collector's Edition:

            Retail Price: $49.98

            Your Price: $19.99

            https://www.rightstufanime.com/Wolf-...on-Blu-ray-DVD

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Art-chan View Post

              I'm the opposite--DON'T want the series proper (streaming once was enough), but I own the spinoff.
              I haven't seen the series (AoT Junior High) yet, but I've read the first volume of the manga, and was horrified to discover Kodansha rewrote their own localized elements into the story to add punchline American pop culture jokes into every other panel. Perusing two distinct scanlations, there doesn't appear to be anything of the sort in the original Japanese story pertaining to Japanese pop culture (Armin isn't obsessed with Dungeons and Dragons or any JRPG equivalent, nor does he relate absolutely everything he experiences to D&D terms, for instance...), and instead it's played like a typical Japanese comedy where the humor simply comes from the situations and the references to AoT itself.

              How did Funi handle the TV series, especially in regards to the sub? I'd hope and imagine that the subs are a faithful translation and don't rewrite the dialogue to feature these sorts of throwaway American pop culture elements?

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Spoofer View Post

                I haven't seen the series (AoT Junior High) yet, but I've read the first volume of the manga, and was horrified to discover Kodansha rewrote their own localized elements into the story to add punchline American pop culture jokes into every other panel. Perusing two distinct scanlations, there doesn't appear to be anything of the sort in the original Japanese story pertaining to Japanese pop culture (Armin isn't obsessed with Dungeons and Dragons or any JRPG equivalent, nor does he relate absolutely everything he experiences to D&D terms, for instance...), and instead it's played like a typical Japanese comedy where the humor simply comes from the situations and the references to AoT itself.

                How did Funi handle the TV series, especially in regards to the sub? I'd hope and imagine that the subs are a faithful translation and don't rewrite the dialogue to feature these sorts of throwaway American pop culture elements?
                Originally posted by Spoofer View Post
                ...instead it's played like a typical Japanese comedy where the humor simply comes from the situations and the references to AoT itself.
                ^This is how the subbed version was on the Anime.

                There were NO references to American Pop culture references (I had no idea there were D&D references in the manga. Guess I won't ever get the manga then. )

                So for the spinoff, you NEED to be familiar with the original series or the humor will fly over your head. I definitely recommend it. (Thank the GODS the Anime didn't go Kodansha's route. I would have been TICKED if they'd done that!)

                I can't speak for the dubbed version though since I only watch Anime subtitled.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Thanks, sounds good then. I have it sitting on my shelf but haven't taken the shrinkwrap off or gotten around to watching it yet.

                  Kodansha's manga is currently sitting on my shelf as well, as I happened to buy the whole thing before getting around to reading the first volume. And yeah, it was incredibly disappointing to be reading jokes involving Shia LaBeouf, Tobey Maguire, Fox News, etc., on top of rewriting the dialogue whenever the opportunity presents itself in order to feature American memes ("burn it with fire", "doge", etc.). Armin's blanket is a Cloak of Repelling or something (forget what it is exactly), and yeah, the whole time he's making D&D jokes. Magic Missiles and such...

                  So... yeah... to eBay all that goes... >,> Sucks because no one's scanlated the whole run of the manga, either. Guess I'll just have to rely on the anime version.
                  Last edited by Spoofer; 11-22-2018, 03:43 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Spoofer View Post
                    Thanks, sounds good then. I have it sitting on my shelf but haven't taken the shrinkwrap off or gotten around to watching it yet.

                    Kodansha's manga is currently sitting on my shelf as well, as I happened to buy the whole thing before getting around to reading the first volume. And yeah, it was incredibly disappointing to be reading jokes involving Shia LaBeouf, Tobey Maguire, Fox News, etc., on top of rewriting the dialogue whenever the opportunity presents itself in order to feature American memes ("burn it with fire", "doge", etc.). Armin's blanket is a Cloak of Repelling or something (forget what it is exactly), and yeah, the whole time he's making D&D jokes. Magic Missiles and such...

                    So... yeah... to eBay all that goes... >,> Sucks because no one's scanlated the whole run of the manga, either. Guess I'll just have to rely on the anime version.
                    WOW...yeah, there was NOTHING like that in the Anime. Other than Fox News, I have NO IDEA who those people are that you mentioned, but I don't keep up with American Pop Culture so that doesn't help. In the Anime, Armin is always cold (for whatever reason) so that's why has always has that blanket with him. There was no "Cloak of Repelling" or whatever. You'll be relived to know there's no mention of "Magic Missiles" mentioned whatsoever, so yeah, watch the Anime version instead. I liked the spinoff so much, I accidentally bought it twice! [Gave my extra copy to a co-worker that likes Anime.]

                    And now, back to shopping!

                    I still have like 20 items in my cart. Decisions, decisions!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Another empty day of Cart Busters for me as I already have Wolf Children, all while I'm staying away from Gangsta. In the meantime, Funimation is getting ready to put their Black Friday deals, and I still have quite a lot of decisions to make in regards to the Sentai store. My wallet is being squeezed dry already, and I'm not exactly sure what I want to do next in light of more big deals coming. And that's just for anime as there are lots of other things I need to buy.
                      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
                      Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
                      Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
                      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Whoops! Waited too long on the Fate/Zero sets and they're now OOP. Hopefully it'll be re-released in a standard edition box set or something down the road instead. (If not, that's OK too since I could just stream it). In the meantime, I save $200 WHOO! [There's NO WAY I'm buying the import version!]

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          https://www.rightstufanime.com/sale/todays-cart-buster

                          Free Eternal Summer (Season 2) + For The Future OVA Premium Edition Blu-Ray/DVD
                          Retail Price: $119.98

                          Your Price: $51.99


                          Free Eternal Summer Season 2 + OVA Limited Edition Blu-Ray/DVD
                          Retail Price: $69.98

                          Your Price: $31.99

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            SAFE since I already have the "normal" LE.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              While I have been debating quite a lot about this show, ultimately I decided to pass on it, and that's exactly what I plan to do given the poor shape my wallet is already in. Anyway, I am getting ready to make my purchases at the Sentai shop, while I await to see what is going to go on sale at the Funimation shop as by Super, they mean everything related to Dragon Ball Super, and not something down the lines of super epic that I was hoping for. And I'm kicking myself for not getting the second half of Fate/Zero seeing that I was just way too concerned about my budget that I was hoping to get it a bit later. It's one reason I miss the old site as it would give quantity counter, and at the very least the Sentai site gives a low stock warning, but I should have known better than to be too tied up about staying below budget.
                              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
                              Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
                              Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
                              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Art-chan View Post
                                Whoops! Waited too long on the Fate/Zero sets and they're now OOP. Hopefully it'll be re-released in a standard edition box set or something down the road instead. (If not, that's OK too since I could just stream it). In the meantime, I save $200 WHOO! [There's NO WAY I'm buying the import version!]
                                NOOOOO! Was wondering why they were no longer in my cart! I bought them on DVD previously and was debating about upgrading... because I?m an adult.

                                Comment

                                Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

                                Channels

                                Collapse

                                Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X