• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 & Only Amazon Japan Thread

Widgets Magazine
    Amazon Japan main page | Anime main page

Current Promotion(s) - Latest sale: n/a
    Last edited by WTK; 10-08-2011, 09:42 AM.

Re: 1 & Only Amazon Japan Thread

EDIT: the price went back up to only 19% off now.
    Last edited by WTK; 05-26-2011, 09:04 PM.

Comment

It seems I can finally order from Amazon Japan, using Tenso.com forwarding service.
      They ship by EMS and can declare any value I want. That REALLY helps me when it comes to customs clearance.

Should I receive packages from Amazon Japan directly, I would be compelled to pay an import tax equivalent to the value of the item imported, and I really can't afford that.
      Anime List | Manga List
      DVD/BD Collection (DVDAf) | Manga Collection (ANN)

Comment

Originally posted by Heiki View Post
        It seems I can finally order from Amazon Japan, using Tenso.com forwarding service.
        They ship by EMS and can declare any value I want. That REALLY helps me when it comes to customs clearance.

Should I receive packages from Amazon Japan directly, I would be compelled to pay an import tax equivalent to the value of the item imported, and I really can't afford that.
        Yeah, it cost me an arm for the import tax as well...

Comment

Last edited by WTK; 07-09-2011, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Last edited by WTK; 07-09-2011, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Amazon messing up with the HTS codes?

I posted this over at AOD, but figured I'll post here for people who don't read there too often.

I recently received an invoice from DHL to pay customs duty on a recent shipment of Blu-Ray discs from Amazon Japan. The HTS code used was 8523.40.5000, which, of course, is wrong and should have 8523.40.4000 instead. According to the code used, I have to pay duty since the order was over $200. Also, under contents it listed "Blu-Ray player Personal Use." I don't know if that's Amazon's or DHL's mistake...I'm leaning on Amazon.

I called DHL and all that could be done was open a dispute and they'll send me an email within 30-days. WTF? Funny too, because the DHL rep asked me what the proper HTS code should be since I mentioned the invoice listed the wrong one.

Comment

Re: Amazon messing up with the HTS codes?

Originally posted by superdry View Post
                I recently received an invoice from DHL to pay customs duty on a recent shipment of Blu-Ray discs from Amazon Japan. The HTS code used was 8523.40.5000, which, of course, is wrong and should have 8523.40.4000 instead. According to the code used, I have to pay duty since the order was over $200. Also, under contents it listed "Blu-Ray player Personal Use." I don't know if that's Amazon's or DHL's mistake...I'm leaning on Amazon.

I called DHL and all that could be done was open a dispute and they'll send me an email within 30-days. WTF? Funny too, because the DHL rep asked me what the proper HTS code should be since I mentioned the invoice listed the wrong one.
                Ouch...$200. I looked around online and found this webpage: link that listed (some?) of the past rulings from U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Comment

Re: Amazon messing up with the HTS codes?

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                  Ouch...$200. I looked around online and found this webpage: link that listed (some?) of the past rulings from U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
                  I don't have to pay $200 in taxes (that would be insane), it's just that I have to pay taxes since my order was over $200.

I read one of the rulings regarding optical media (the one about Blu-Ray discs from unknown country) and if that was really the case, then everyone should be paying taxes on large import orders. But, this is the first time this year I got a duty invoice even though I've had a few previous orders over $200 shipped to me no problem earlier this year (and most people over at AoD haven't had many problems either in the past).

I have another big order coming in at the end of the month - I'll see if I get taxed on that one, too.

Comment

Okay folks, help clarify something for me.

Based on past incidents, it seemed like it had been determined that Amazon Japan's partial shipping would result in the equal division of shipping charges, based on what the charge would be if it were a single shipment, rather than there being an increased charge as if they were all individual shipments.

For example, if I ordered two DVDs, the shipping cost would be ¥2,700 + ¥300/item for a total of ¥3,300. And if the order were to partial ship one DVD now and one DVD later, each shipment would incur a shipping charge of ¥3,300 divided by 2, or ¥1,650. This, as opposed to, say, ¥3,000 per partial shipment because the ¥2,700 would apply each time.

Am I understanding this correctly? Am I wrong about how this is supposed to work?

In addition, if this is correct, is there something about it only taking effect if partial shipments are chosen as the preferred option as the order is placed? Or should modifying the order afterwards still allow this to happen?

Basically, a friend of mine has placed an order for four Blu-ray sets, and I decided to piggyback on the order to grab four volumes of manga. My manga and two of his Blu-ray sets are in stock. We had set the order to ship complete, but decided to change it shortly afterward to get most of it now. When he went into the order to change the shipping option, the estimated shipping cost skyrocketed from ¥5,100 to ¥20,000. Is this just some sort of CYA figure that the site will display when a change is made, and the actual eventual shipping cost will just be an even split of the single-shipment ¥5,100? Or... what?

I feel like I should know this stuff, but my brain is letting me down, and the thread on Ye Olde Site, while highly informative, is also quite dense and lengthy.

Any thoughts/corrections/comments are appreciated.
                    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                    Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
                      Any thoughts/corrections/comments are appreciated.
                      You don't want to actually select the "ship as items are released" option. As you've noticed, Amazon.jp will calculate a higher shipping charge to account for the various shipments that will be made to you. In this case, the initial calculation is that all items will ship separately (4 BluRays + 4 books = 4 x 2,000 + 4 x 3,000). I'm not sure if the shipping cost gets reduced if they end up shipping multiple items together.

Basically, you always want to choose "wait until all items are released". Amazon.jp will still issue partial shipments under this option. Items shipped as these 'partial shipments' will be charged a pro-rated portion of the overall shipping charge for the order (in this case, 2,700 + 8 x 300).

Also, just to clarify, the base cost for an Amazon.jp shipment is not always 2,700. If you are only ordering disc media (BluRays, DVDs, CDs), then the base is 1,700 (+300 per item). If you order paper media (books, magazines, calendars), then the base is 2,700 (+300 per item).
                      Currently Watching: Kimi ni Todoke, Maison Ikkoku, Touch

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think that if you select "ship complete" and Amazon decides at their own convinience to do multiple shipments anyway, they will not charge any extra and split the shipping costs between the shipments.

If you on your own decide you want it shipped separately, you do pay extra for each shipment.

The reason Amazon probably prefers to do multiple shipments for orders that have "ship complete" selected is to reduce costs (to avoid having a lot of reserved products which aren't going to ship for a while, which I can imagine to be undesirable for various reasons).
                        No Blu-Ray, No Buy. Seriously, it's 2016.
                        My Backlog

Comment

Originally posted by alexd00 View Post
                          Basically, you always want to choose "wait until all items are released". Amazon.jp will still issue partial shipments under this option. Items shipped as these 'partial shipments' will be charged a pro-rated portion of the overall shipping charge for the order (in this case, 2,700 + 8 x 300).
                          Ah, that's the piece I was missing. Automatic partial shipments. Now, with that being the case, does anyone know what the partial-ship triggers are? Or does it seem to be completely random?
                          asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                          Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                          Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Ah, that's the piece I was missing. Automatic partial shipments. Now, with that being the case, does anyone know what the partial-ship triggers are? Or does it seem to be completely random?
                            Amazon ships the items out as soon as they are in stock. No matter how soon anything else will be shipping out. If two items are released a day apart, they will each ship out separately.

The exception to this is if items are being released within a short period of time from when you first place the order. I don't know what the exact amount of time is, but if you place an order today that includes some in-stock items and something that they'll get in stock two days from now, they'll hold the in-stock items until that other item comes in stock. And if the order includes something that comes in stock tomorrow and another two days from now, again, they should hold the first one until the second one comes out.
                            So there's this thing called Twitter

Comment

Basically, a friend of mine has placed an order for four Blu-ray sets, and I decided to piggyback on the order to grab four volumes of manga. My manga and two of his Blu-ray sets are in stock.
                              A couple of things to note about including books in orders. First, the base shipping is 1000 yen higher as soon as you add books. It's 1700 for DVDs, BDs, and CDs, but jumps to 2700 as soon as there's a single book in the order. Furthermore, that additional 1000 yen is only divided among the book shipments.

So, that first shipment will have the 300 yen per item, 3/4 (4 books and 2 BD sets if I'm reading your post correctly) of the 1700 yen base cost. Then it will have the entire 1000 yen for the book cost, since all of the books are in that shipment. The remaining two BD sets will each only have the 300 yen per item cost + 1/8 of the 1700 yen base cost.

.... Or at least I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Earlier this year I noticed that items from the same order had different shipping costs and when I examined it, that seemed to be what was going on. I haven't checked recently and Amazon could change it at any time. *points to headaches caused by switching from FedEx to DHL with no reason and the whole combine orders mess of 2010*
                              So there's this thing called Twitter

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X