Widgets Magazine

Are the Code Geass manga worth getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Code Geass manga worth getting?

Widgets Magazine
    I just got the LimEd's of the first season of code geass. I read the first volume of Lelouch of the rebllion and thought it was decent.
    I kinda want to get the rest of it, but I know I'll read and finish the manga well before I even start watching the series.
    So my main consern is how thorough is the manga?
    Is it just an abridged adaptation or does it cover more of the show it's self?
    Also are any of the side manga good?
    Oh and is it the same thing with the novels as well?
    Thank you for your time in advance.
    Rotten, rotten, rotten...
    Anyway you look at it...
    I am a rotten girl...

Re: Are the Code Geass manga worth getting?

I found the main Code Geass manga to be pretty bland, as unfortunately tends to be the case with so many manga series that exist purely for additional profit by being slapdash, slavish adaptations of a new anime series, because the studio knows that people will buy it blindly. The art is passable at best, and the adaptation itself doesn't do much with the story that you don't already see in the anime. It's basically just an abridged adaptation that you really don't need.

The Code Geass: Suzaku of the Counterattack manga is better, in that it tries to mix things up by presenting itself as a take on the story from Suzaku's point of view, with some significant modifications. It's also only two volumes, so it's a low-investment series. I don't know if I would've wanted to read more of it than there is.

The Code Geass: Nightmare of Nunnally manga is easily the best of the three manga series that set themselves up as a version of the anime. As suggested by the title, Nunnally gets the spotlight here, in an alternate version of the story where she gains a Geass amidst a heavily-reworked version of the anime. Better artwork than the others, and a better story than the others.

I have yet to read any of the Code Geass: Knight or Code Geass: Queen anthologies. Likewise for the single-volume Code Geass: Tales of An Alternate Shogunate, as well as the yet-unlicensed Code Geass: Renya of the Blackness. Someone else may be better able to speak to those. Being a guy, the Code Geass: Queen anthologies seem more my thing than the Code Geass: Knight anthologies do, but I intend to get around to buying both eventually, for completeness' sake. Tales of An Alternate Shogunate seems entertaining, so I do intend to grab that as well. Renya of the Blackness is highly intriguing to me, though I know that part of that is simply because it hasn't been licensed; the old "grass is greener" syndrome.

I also own the five novels that were released Stateside, which cover the entire first season, though I have yet to read more than the first couple of chapters of the first one. They seem to follow the anime series more closely than not, but I can't say for sure having not actually gone through them yet.
    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
    Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

I'd say Hayate Kurogane gave a good rundown of the manga of Code Geass. IMO, only Nightmare of Nunnally was worth reading of all the options. It was an original venture in a way, and so the creativity really shined in that one. With the others, and for all the manga in general, I don't think you're missing much. I personally enjoyed the anime the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
        I have yet to read any of the Code Geass: Knight or Code Geass: Queen anthologies.
        These are stand alone stories, mostly humorous and probably not very canonical, from a variety of artists. It's kind of like a doujin anthology. And the Knight/Queen division is a bit overstated--you'd have a hard time telling the two apart with your eyes closed.* They're fun, but I'd recommend watching the show first, just to understand the references and avoid spoilers.

*Think about it. No, don't think about it.
        Avatar: Trixie is appalled by whatever I just said.

Comment

It's basically just an abridged adaptation that you really don't need.

The Code Geass: Suzaku of the Counterattack manga is better

The Code Geass: Nightmare of Nunnally manga is easily the best of the three manga series that set themselves up as a version of the anime.

I also own the five novels that were released Stateside, which cover the entire first season, though I have yet to read more than the first couple of chapters of the first one. They seem to follow the anime series more closely than not, but I can't say for sure having not actually gone through them yet.
          Ah-ha.
          I got the feeling that the "main" manga was going to be like that.
          Thanks for confirming it for me.
          That'll be low on my priority list but, I'll be sure to pick up the rest as fast as I can.
          Suzaku'll be the easiest on account i already have the fist (of two) volume.
          Again, Thank you all for replying.
          Rotten, rotten, rotten...
          Anyway you look at it...
          I am a rotten girl...

Comment

Originally posted by Isuzu Inugami View Post
            I have yet to read any of the Code Geass: Knight or Code Geass: Queen anthologies.
            These are stand alone stories, mostly humorous and probably not very canonical, from a variety of artists. It's kind of like a doujin anthology. And the Knight/Queen division is a bit overstated--you'd have a hard time telling the two apart with your eyes closed.* They're fun, but I'd recommend watching the show first, just to understand the references and avoid spoilers.

*Think about it. No, don't think about it.
            Too late! :D

Oh, wait a second!
            asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
            Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"

Comment

I'd forgotten, but Bandai did license Renya of the Blackness earlier this year, so that will have a convenient domestic option as well.

Whenever they manage to release it, that is.
              asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X