Widgets Magazine

Recs for Dungeon Builder: the Demon King's Labyrinth is a Modern City?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recs for Dungeon Builder: the Demon King's Labyrinth is a Modern City?

Widgets Magazine
    Is anyone familiar with Dungeon Builder: the Demon King's Labyrinth is a Modern City? I'm particularly interested in the city building aspect - is it handled well? And when does it start in the series?
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

In case anyone's curious:

I'd put Dungeon Builder in roughly the same genre as Overlord and (especially) How Not to Summon a Demon Lord. The story kicks off as an amnesiac guy (roughly thirty years old) finds himself in a fantasy world. He's been chosen to be a demon lord - specifically the new Demon Lord of Creation (as opposed to Fire, or Ice, or . . .) - and is expected to build a dungeon to challenge the world's heroes. As such, he's given the ability to summon monsters, warp the terrain to suit his concept, and use thematically appropriate magic (in his case, he can Create anything he can imagine). And he kind of has to, because he can only feed off emotions (fear, despair, etc.)

Procel (the protagonist) however, doesn't want to hurt anyone. So he decides to build a town-themed dungeon, and bring in settlers. That, way, he can feed on their everyday emotions, and only has to fight adventurers looking to kill a demon lord.

The first volume is pretty standard fantasy tropes, albeit with a JRPG twist: hiring minions, battling monsters, shmoozing other demon lords at a party . . .But by volume two, he's got his undead digging foundations, his golems building walls . . .And by volume three, settlers are moving in.

So far, it's a pretty light-hearted series - although the potential is there for the series to be a tearjerker. Procel knows about guns, plus he's got his monstrous followers, so he's in a pretty good place, defensively speaking. So most of the problems so far have been diplomatic or interpersonal, such as convincing humans to move into his dungeon.

Procel is also fleshed out enough that you can guess at who he was in his old life - based on what he makes, and what his go-to imagery is, the Eighties seem to have been a defining decade for him. I'd also guess that he was

Spoiler ->an architect or engineer, and was a father with preteen daughters

In all, I'm enjoying the series. Probably not the best pick for someone who needs a lot of action, but would probably appeal to fans of SimCity or Civilization.

"The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine
    Working...
    X