Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Manga] Vertical doing flipped manga?

Widgets Magazine
    I've just received my copy of No Longer Human, released by Vertical, only to disappoint myself. As title suggests, it was flipped to the Western way of reading (left to right). I really thought this was a long-gone practice and it's sad to see companies that are still abiding to it. If it weren't for the expensive international shipping rates, I'd be returning my copy right away.

So, even though this seems to be an interesting series, it will probably be sitting on my shelf collecting dust for quite a while, without ever being read. That's just how I feel about flipped manga. And, of course, count me out for the next volumes.

Now I wonder if we can even trust Vertical from now on. They seem to be willing to widen the audience of their publications at all costs, not even considering how their final consumers will feel about it.
    Last edited by Heiki; 11-10-2011, 09:43 PM.
    Anime List | Manga List
    DVD/BD Collection (DVDAf) | Manga Collection (ANN)

Re: Vertical doing flipped manga?

Since they began publishing, Vertical has bounced between flipped & un-flipped on a book-by-book basis, with the overwhelming majority of their left-to-right manga being certain Tezuka titles (actually, the only other flipped series, besides Chi's Sweet Home, might be No Longer human).

In this case, however, the author apparently wanted to redrew/touch-up the manga to read left-to-right in order to help its sales in overseas markets.

Here's the relevant Twitter posts from Ed Chavez, Verical's Marketing Director: 1, 2, 3.
    Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

Yeah, after doing a little research, this seems to be the case with No Longer Human. I know it's not actually flipped now, but it just doesn't seem right to read a manga left-to-right, even if this was the author's decision.

Do you happen to know which Tezuka titles were flipped? I have slight interest in Black Jack, but if it's flipped... well, I'll just forget about it.
      Last edited by Heiki; 11-10-2011, 10:42 PM.
      Anime List | Manga List

Comment

Black Jack is untouched, as are Dororo and Princess Knight, which just had its first volume released.

I'm fairly certain all their other Tezuka books are flipped. A good warning sign (and not counting the special hardcover releases of the first three volumes of Black Jack): so far any Tezuka title that's been published in hardcover editions has had its orientation changed to read left-to-right.
        Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Junker Woland View Post
          Black Jack is untouched, as are Dororo and Princess Knight, which just had its first volume released.

I'm fairly certain all their other Tezuka books are flipped. A good warning sign (and not counting the special hardcover releases of the first three volumes of Black Jack): so far any Tezuka title that's been published in hardcover editions has had its orientation changed to read left-to-right.
          I met Ed Chavez during Toronto Comic Arts Fest this year, and I asked him about this very topic. He told me that the Tezuka titles that are currently flipped are mandated by either Tezuka's estate or the Japanese publishers. (Pretty sure it's the former.) That would explain why Viz continued to keep Phoenix flipped even after they flipped everything else.*

He went on to mention how he would have flipped the Keiko Takemiya titles they released (To Terra, Andromeda Stories) - along with certain other titles - if he had the chance: to the market that they're targeting, the flipped format simply sells more copies. However, Takemiya wanted it to stay in r-to-l format.

On a side-note, Viz kept Tekkon Kinkreet flipped when they re-released it, interestingly enough. Apparently it sold well that way; I don't remember where I read that, though.

I more-or-less share your sentiments, Heiki. I tend to not read and purchase flipped titles on principle, but I've had to acknowledge that I'd be missing out on some great stuff otherwise. So I've weakened my stance somewhat to at least give titles where it makes sense to do so (Chi's Sweet Home), and the critically acclaimed stuff a shot. However, I'll still resist purchasing flipped manga, so it'd have to amaze me so much that I'd feel completely compelled to buy it.

After all, we all know that it makes sense for those kinds of titles to be flipped, whether we like it or not. It'll always bother me somewhat, but I'll live. Plus, I'll always have my public library. I'm preparing to send them a purchase request e-mail filled with "the good stuff."

* - EXCEPT Inu Yasha and Ranma 1/2. While it may be the case, I refuse to think that they continued to sell well flipped, even after they almost unflipped the rest of their back catalog. I honestly wonder why it took Viz so long to unflip Inu Yasha. Another purchase request has the IY VIZBIG editions in it, and I don't see myself reading Ranma 1/2 anytime soon as a result.
          Avatar: The dashing Shizuku Kanzaki, from The Drops of God.

May it rest in peace.

Comment

When I started reading manga (about a year ago), I did feel a little confused over the right-to-left reading, to the point that I couldn't follow some panels. It's something you get used to overtime, so I can understand why some titles would appeal to a greater audience if they are flipped.

Well, you end up spoiling the original artwork, so I still can't bring myself to support such practices.
            It's good to know that Black Jack isn't flipped, and I would assume that neither is Inuyasha VIZBIG Edtion.
            Last edited by Heiki; 11-13-2011, 10:48 PM.
            Anime List | Manga List

Comment

Originally posted by Heiki View Post
              When I started reading manga (about a year ago), I did feel a little confused over the right-to-left reading, to the point that I couldn't follow some panels. It's something you get used to overtime, so I can understand why some titles would appeal to a greater audience if they are flipped.
              To be specific, the literary crowd, which primarily comprises of adults, who may not be readily adept at reading it right-to-left. Adults do tend to be resistant to change.

Originally posted by Heiki View Post
              Well, you end up spoiling the original artwork, so I still can't bring myself to support such practices.
              It's good to know that Black Jack isn't flipped, and I would assume that neither is Inuyasha VIZBIG Edtion.
              If you mean purchasing, then that's perfectly.

DO give such works a chance if you happen to come by them through a library or a friend. Phoenix is some good stuff.

And yes, Inu Yasha's omnibus release FINALLY unflips the earlier volumes. Looks like Ranma 1/2 will stay flipped forever, though.
              Avatar: The dashing Shizuku Kanzaki, from The Drops of God.

May it rest in peace.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X