Widgets Magazine

No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chapter 169

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
    In the scene, Sayaka did ebizori (arching one's body backward like a shrimp) and checked whether there was a skin mag in the drawer. She may be good at gymnastics.
    That was such a hilarious visual. When it comes to helping unintentionally embarrassing Akari, she has superpowers.

I think probably the Yen Press edition has a translation note, but since the cover says, 'Ageha,' the yankee manga which Yoshida-san reads seems to be yankee manga Kuro Ageha (Black Swallowtail Butterfly) by Kase Atsushi.
    Kase Atsushi is well-known for another yankee manga Chameleon, and Kuro Ageha is a sequel to Chameleon.
    Since the heroine of Kuro Ageha is a hot female yankee, Yoshida-san may have related to her.
    Yeah, it does mention the name in the translation notes.

Speaking of that, Yen is continuing their trend in some recent volumes of printing the notes on blank pages between chapters near the end instead of at the very end. It annoys me a bit as it's not as easy to find and I have to avert my eyes from spoiling the later chapters I haven't gotten to yet. And a bit more annoying here as one page of translation notes is completely separated from the next by the two pages of Special Chapter 10.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
      That was such a hilarious visual. When it comes to helping unintentionally embarrassing Akari, she has superpowers.
      Sayaka also uses a decoy as if she were a ninja or a commando, and she conducts a sexual investigation while other people are seeing the decoy. Being very good at gymnastics and even using a ninja technique. Sayaka seems to be quite talented. ^_^
      And as you have said, when out of kindness Sayaka tries to help Akari in Akari's romantically approaching Tomoki, Sayaka's efforts often result in unintentionally embarrassing Akari. Poor Akari, poor Sayaka.

When Yoshida-san reads a yankee manga, Mokotchi thinks, 'Yoshida should sometimes read one-volume SubCul manga.' 'Subculture manga' is a term which means alternative or not-mainstream manga that are likely to be dug by so-called hipsters who look down on mainstream manga.
      When the Japanese edition says, 'SubCul manga,' what the Yen Press edition says in the equivalent thought balloon of Mokotchi? I am just curious. I'm sorry to trouble you, but could you tell me what Mokotchi thinks in the equivalent thought balloon in the Yen Press edition, Brandon-san?

Speaking of that, Yen is continuing their trend in some recent volumes of printing the notes on blank pages between chapters near the end instead of at the very end. It annoys me a bit as it's not as easy to find and I have to avert my eyes from spoiling the later chapters I haven't gotten to yet. And a bit more annoying here as one page of translation notes is completely separated from the next by the two pages of Special Chapter 10.
      That is inconvenient for people who don't want to see the later chapters yet.
      Is Yen Press a publishing firm that tends to listen to suggestions from readers well?
      It may be not a bad thing that you send an e-mail to Yen Press and suggest that Yen Press should put translation notes at the very end of books.

Comment

When the Japanese edition says, 'SubCul manga,' what the Yen Press edition says in the equivalent thought balloon of Mokotchi? I am just curious. I'm sorry to trouble you, but could you tell me what Mokotchi thinks in the equivalent thought balloon in the Yen Press edition, Brandon-san?
        "Punks sure do love their punk manga...... Read some one-shot subculture manga for a change."

That is inconvenient for people who don't want to see the later chapters yet.
        Is Yen Press a publishing firm that tends to listen to suggestions from readers well?
        It may be not a bad thing that you send an e-mail to Yen Press and suggest that Yen Press should put translation notes at the very end of books.
        I don't know on that. Inconvenient, though also I'm not necessarily bothered enough to send something like an email for it. My guess is that they're just trying to save money over having to add more pages for the translation notes.

Comment

"Punks sure do love their punk manga...... Read some one-shot subculture manga for a change."
          Thank you very much.
          Since using 'yankee' as a word which means a delinquent is a usage in Japan, I can understand the reason why the translator for Yen Press wrote, 'Punk.'
          Japanese middlebrow people imported the word 'subculture' from English, but the meaning of the word 'subculture' which Japanese middlebrow people use is different from the meaning of the term 'subculture' which sociologists and cultural theorists in the Anglosphere use.
          When Japanese middlebrow people say, 'Subculture,' in reality it means popular culture, mass culture, media culture, or low culture.
          And in manga terminology, when Japanese middlebrow people say, 'SubCul manga,' it means 'alternative or non-mainstream manga that are likely to be dug by so-called hipsters or connoisseurs who look down on mainstream manga,' or something along those lines.
          I'm not sure whether English-speaking people think of alternative or non-mainstream manga that are likely to be dug by so-called hipsters or connoisseurs who look down on mainstream manga, when they see the phrase 'subculture manga,' though.
          Again, thank you, Brandon-san.

Comment

• Chapter 170

Tomoko's thinking about how dull things have been with all the studying, and wants to do something flashy that she can get away with in the summer. And the opportunity for Tomoko to follow through on that comes quickly, as when she's out at the drugstore using money borrowed for mom from snacks, she sees the hair dye section. This reminds me back of when her mom left her some money for food when she was out to check on her grandpa a long while back, Tomoko bought bath salts. Fitting Tomoko sneaks in items of personal interest when taking money from her parents. And as we see later on in the chapter, maybe one mom didn't approve of her getting either.

Tomoko follows the directions and can't seem to get it to work, so knowing Yuu had dyed her hair for her high school subject, calls to talk to her about it. Despite it not working the first time, it seems Tomoko is resolved to continue it. Tomoko forgot to ask Yuu on what color she think would be good for her, Tomoko not entirely convinced about the silver she picked out given the stereotypes it conjures for her, but when she calls back, it turns out she accidentally called Katou! Definitely the happiest mistake she could have made, since this kind of thing is what Katou is all about and she's such a sweetheart. Tomoko's just so used to Yuu being the only one she ever called: makes me appreciate where she's at now. But yeah, Katou has quite the expertise, astounding Tomoko on how she's even done it since middle school. And Katou is now headed over to Tomoko's house to help her. It amuses me how Tomoko is trying to back up her serious studious side to Katou with the "mental refreshment" excuse, though I think Katou is quite happy about Tomoko's interest despite it being a diversion from studying. And Tomoko's also really concerned about the usual slobbish state of things she's in at her house. Tomoko always seems very conscious of pubes, and takes out the lint roller to make sure there's none lying around her room, as well as being in a rush to change clothes right before Katou gets there (besides not being as concerned when someone like Yuu shows up).

And Yuu did suddenly appear unexpected for Tomoko, seemingly complicating things from her perspective. But Yuu really is such a sweetheart herself. I expected she'd get along quite well with Katou, and indeed it is quite a nice time when they meet and get to talk each other. Tomoko even basks in the conversation of the two beautiful girls as it gets her thinking of the appeal of moe anime. And she's getting quite a lot of pleasure out of them being there when being "soaped" by them later. Tomoko again gets to thinking they need to be paid for those service. It's actually kind of nice how Tomoko can actually joke aloud a the kind of thing with Katou at this point, when at first it'd really only be the kind of thing in her thoughts. With Yuu and Katou getting along nicely, I kind of figured the only mishaps would be Tomoko self-inflicted ones. Yuu is even here in the first place since she knows her so well at her tendency to screw these things up, and sure enough... Tomoko's pube obsession does her in and she, embarrassed to let Katou know, has to try and secretly pull Yuu away to help deal with that mishap.

While it's sweet Tomoko has Yuu to rely on for that thing, there is some more of Katou starting to wonder if she can be as close to Tomoko as she's gotten with some of her other friends. And in that regard, Yuu and Katou getting to talk later alone at Katou's insistence is one of the sweetest developments to come of both of them. Yuu seemed like such an airhead at first, that even as long as she's known her, you'd wonder how much she gotten Tomoko. But this kind of feels like the first time she's really gotten to come out about it. When it came to Komiyama, well, Komiyama already knows Tomoko quite well so there's nothing for Yuu to reveal there, and with her run in to Yuri and Mako, Yuri's not really the type who Yuu was going to get to be conversational with either. But here Yuu gets to be quite heartfelt in relating the side of Tomoko prone to mishaps and that it's not Tomoko isn't close friends with Katou, but just didn't want to show that uncool side to Katou. Rather than leave Katou feeling like she's left out of as a friend from this side of Tomoko, Yuu also gets to relating what she's noticed with Tomoko being excited with things before like the makeup job Katou gave her once before. Tomoko has gotten to feel special and doing girly things she never would have done with just Yuu, and so even though there's a side of Tomoko only Yuu sees, Katou has gotten a side of Tomoko that only she can see. And we all know how unthinkable this kind of thing would have been in the first year of high school for Tomoko: Yuu is the only one who has been there since then and knows about it. Even Yuu is feeling lightly jealous of Katou getting this new side of Tomoko, and so Katou can realize she's more on even ground than she thinks.

And that's not even all that really tugged my heart! It was nice how Yuu let on to Katou how she's trying to aim for Aogaku for herself. Yuu is quite conscious of her lack of academic performance and the extreme unlikelihood of her making it. Her reason for keeping it a secret in not trying to worry or hold back Tomoko is just so danged sweet. I was expecting Katou not to be able to resist helping her out after she was like that, even more so when she opened up with Katou about Tomoko later. After not making it into the same high school as Tomoko, it would seem she faces an even sharper hill here, but we all really want to root for the underdog. And it's nice and all, but I do like how we get to seeing five days later as Yuu is preparing to go out for the study camp with Tomoko, the results of Katou's serious attempts to help her. Seeing the state Yuu is in, it's not going to be easy... Katou has a lot of work ahead of her.

That was another chapter that stood out as quite memorably heartwarming to me, getting the happy tears out of me. Definitely quite looking forward to what Tomoko and co. are going to get into with the study camp.

Comment

• Re: Chapter 170

Tomoko again gets to thinking they need to be paid for those service.
              The Yen Press edition may have a translation note, but in the scene where Mokotchi says, '20000 yen,' Mokotchi jokingly compares hair dyeing to sex business.

And in that regard, Yuu and Katou getting to talk later alone at Katou's insistence is one of the sweetest developments to come of both of them.
              The scene where Katō-san and Yū-chan talk about relationships with Mokotchi at a park is quite heartwarming.

In the final scene, Yū-chan's eyes are drawn as two blank rounds, and words spoken by Yū-chan are written in katakana.
              It indicates that Yū-chan's mental condition is slightly not normal.
              It seems that Katō-san made Yū-chan study very hard.

Comment

The Yen Press edition may have a translation note, but in the scene where Mokotchi says, '20000 yen,' Mokotchi jokingly compares hair dyeing to sex business.
                Oh, it does, but I actually got that Mokocchi was referencing soaplands even before looking at the note.

In the final scene, Yū-chan's eyes are drawn as two blank rounds, and words spoken by Yū-chan are written in katakana.
                It indicates that Yū-chan's mental condition is slightly not normal.
                It seems that Katō-san made Yū-chan study very hard.
                Yep, that definitely makes it seem Katou-san is taking the studying Yuu needs very seriously. Given Yuu's academic ability, it's going to be quite harsh. We'll see if she can hang in there.

Comment

...but I actually got that Mokocchi was referencing soaplands even before looking at the note.
                  Oh, you are a keen reader. ^_^

Yep, that definitely makes it seem Katou-san is taking the studying Yuu needs very seriously. Given Yuu's academic ability, it's going to be quite harsh. We'll see if she can hang in there.
                  To attend a study camp held by a cram school would be quite a heavy task for a girl who is not very good at schoolwork.

Comment

• Chapter 171

It's nice to see Tomoko's mom (assuming that's her: hard to make her out exactly) helping to drive the trio of Tomoko, Yuu, and Komi to their bus stop for the study trip. They see a number of familiar faces already gathered there, or aside from Yuri and Itou, semi-familiar ones. Some of Ucchi's and Katou's gang are there without they themselves here just yet. Yuri and Itou being in such close proximity of each other makes me wonder if they did talk a little bit. Well, if they did, it was definitely only a little and Yuri's in her usual state when she's on her own with earphones in. They are both alike in having to deal with their strange friends' stupid moments at times. And speaking of the strange ones, there's Marines items around the stop. We don't directly see Komi do anything in reaction to them, but I'm willing to bet she's taking in the scenery in off-panel somewhere.

It's amusing to see Itou note Yuu's condition, still empty-eyed over the seemingly grueling study sessions with Katou, particularly as someone who's been studying with Yuu and Komi already. So we can tell she's never gotten like that over the usual sessions and Katou has kicked it up a notch. Plus Komi's weirdness was probably a distraction at times as we've seen already. But some other amusing moments with Yuu's presence as others arrive too, with Ucchi thinking about Yuu's likeness to her again. A generic version of me... though Tomoko thinks the opposite since Ucchi is the one with the emoji face.. And I like how the appearance of Katou just gets to startling Yuu with the state she's in now. Such a sweetheart, but also scarily serious when it comes to putting her through the study wringer.

Tomoko's comment with Yuri on the bus how it's like the school trip is quite heartwarming. Tomoko had dreaded that school trip, even in her first year when she was over a year away from actually doing it, but she's really getting to look back on it now as such as positive thing, and I think Yuri did too. And here the schedule even going to be near as "fun" as a trip since they got serious studying to do. But it definitely shows how Tomoko has changed in that she's still looking forward to a bit. With the way things usually go for her, it's probably going to be a "power-up event" in ways Tomoko is not necessarily expecting. Hehe.

When they get the room assignments, Ucchi laments again not getting the same room as Tomoko. "Why!?" She was really wanting that creepy stuff to happen to her again. As I've been saying, it's karma, Ucchi. Too late to realize once she's gotten the Tomoko experience, after initially pretending she didn't exist. Definitely some interesting groups they've been put into, as Tomoko finds just as she's wondering if she just go right into her room, only to see Fuuka and Miho casually lounging around and being startled (of course the former much more so). Of course Tomoko ends up with the ones she has little experience with at this point, and all the more fun for it. Fuuka is laser focused on getting to the bottom of Tomoko's proclivities. I like how she has to add on to Miho in her thoughts when Miho teases about Tomoko being a boob lover.

Miho is quite the fun one. I noticed the uninhibited air about her back at the baseball game, and it is definitely confirmed here. As Tomoko is trying to get an eyeful of her seeming almost-pantyshot and Miho immediately notices and plays around with Tomoko in an amusing way. Tomoko's actions really are like a guy's at times. It's interesting how Ucchi comes to mind for Tomoko here, seeing Tomoko view this kind of playfulness from Miho as more comfortable to her than being treated as creepy. Regardless of Ucchi's intent in calling Tomoko "kimoi", it doesn't look like Tomoko understands it much eve now, unfortunately for Ucchi.

Tomoko gets to take note of all of the exact room assignments as the classmates come out into the hall at the same time. The students are seemingly grouped by schools since Yuu is on a different floor. Tomoko is seemingly in awe of just how many are there, and apparently didn't know it was all girls too. I guess they don't mix the genders to lessen the distractions. But of course with this group, there's still a lot of distractions regardless :D Also that "Kaho/Komi-Friend" error I previously mentioned from the Vol. 17 next-volume preview... is not fixed. It's just exactly the same her in the actual Vol. 18. Nice going, Yen. Maybe I should have tried to send them something about it when I noticed.

It's interesting to see the meritocratic class rank placement they're all divided up into. Makes me think of Baka and Test and Classroom of the Elite. And gets us a cute moment as Tomoko ends up in the same C class as Yuu. Yuu finally seems to perk up out of the state she's was in since she finally gets to be together with Mokocchi at camp. Tomoko on the other hand, gets some sorta-mean thoughts (at least she recognizes it), at being put on the same level as Yuu. Despite the state she was in before, I do think Yuu does have Katou's intense sessions to thank for getting here, since it did look like there was a lower "D" class possibly. I think we get perhaps more of Yuu's improvement here necessarily than Tomoko slipping up too much. In any case, it feels like if anyone has perhaps slipped up too much for being distracted it might be Fuuka. She's not happy about her situation, but not really doing anything to help herself when she's just doubling down on her Kuroki investigation angle. Tomoko seems to think she should at least be able to advance to the B class to get to be on the level of Yuri and the Emoji gang.

Heh, and speaking of Emoji, I like when she bumps into Tomoko during break time, she does the same kind of posturing like back when they had the table tennis matches. Almost makes me wonder if either Tomoko is doomed not to advance or Ucchi ends up doing better than she expects and misses Tomoko by advancing to A class. Yuri and Tomoko get to relate about their loud and annoying teachers during the break. She seems disappointed that Tomoko hasn't done better and so has left Yuri kind of by herself (might be a little bitter in how Yuu gets to be with Tomoko too). I do wonder what's happened with Mako, since at the beginning of the chapter it seemed like at least she was supposed to show up at some point going by Tomoko asking about her. Unexpectedly, Yuri gets invited by Nagi, the glasses friend of Ucchi, at the end to a hot spring. And without much to do, Yuri seems to go along with it. Definitely interested to see what they have in store.

Anytime Katou comes around Yuu, Yuu definitely looks like she's feeling the pressure. Katou's friend group does get to finding out over the hair dye visit to Tomoko, as Miho cheerfully asks how they got to know each other. Love how Fuuka has her own thoughts on that matter. She's going right to looking at Yuu's boobs and knowing she's a friend of Tomoko, whether she's been fondled... "Probably, I'm sure of it!!" Most hilarious moment of the chapter, of course in how Fuuka is actually spot on. Yuu seems a bit nervous at that bit of attention too. And yet more people who are not entirely focused on studying as we see Komi is still going to try to fit her baseball viewing in even in the middle of this and having made class B. Katou is quite in serious mode at the end, though, not about Yuu but about Tomoko. Katou thinks "half hearted effort and less of a sense of danger"has might put her in a more troublesome spot even than Yuu. She seems to have put a lot into study plans for Tomoko too, things that have not gone as planned... Definitely curious what's coming next.

Comment

• Chapter 172

Tomoko gets to talking with Yuri as they have supper between classes. Tomoko's interested in hitting up the hot springs after they're done with classes for today, which coincidentally seems to work out well for Yuri since she was probably fretting about that invitation from Nagi without Tomoko there with her. Hehe... but Katou who is intend on steering Tomoko on the right path as far as studying and advancing Tomoko to Class B has other plans. It was amusing seeing the thoughts of the Class C members as they're wrapping up their class and their teacher is encouraging them to find an environment that best allows them to concentrate on studying. Except for Yuu, who Katou-san has whipped into the studying mode in a sense, we can tell they're all concentrating on something other than studying. We've gotten quite a diverse idiot squad here.

As Katou has promised to come to her room to help studying, and Fuuka and Miho have stepped out for a convenience store run, Tomoko is in her usual state of mind when it comes to Katou. Waiting on her alone in her hotel room gets Tomoko feeling like she's enjoying Katou's adult services. Katou had not told Tomoko she was coming for study sessions, so Tomoko initially attempts sidetrack things by bringing up her promise to Yuri. I love how Katou is already ahead of her there in that she had already convinced Yuri in the mean time not to visit Tomoko so Katou can help her study. Tomoko's displeased at how easily Yuri folded. But Katou is so sweet she's a hard one to say no to, and Yuri probably felt it was best in the long run anyway since it wouldn't help her to have Tomoko continue to be stuck in Class C. But I really love to see here with Tomoko's thoughts how she's empathizing with Yuri over not having many people to talk to. I do feel she's had that bit of empathy for a while, but it's sweet to see it stated so directly.

It looks like for bathtime with Nagi and friends, Nagi was just planning on having a nice conversation with Yuri, which is rather sweet itself too. Even as untalkative as Yuri can be, she's able to open up and reveal how long she's known Tomoko. It definitely puts things in perspective to see how outsiders are seeing things, with Nagi thinking they were so close she thought Yuri might have known her as long as Mako. But Tomoko was a complete non-presence to Yuri before the school trip, as she was for many, without even knowing her name. Nagi talks about how their group was always more comfortable just sticking to who they knew in their own clique, just that it was more fun rather than anything intentionally malicious. And that coincidentally kind of provides some perspective on Tomoko's long isolation as well, as she never found such a clique from the start in her beginnings at high school, sadly. I do like we actually have a nice point made of Ucchi here in how Nagi mentions she's the one who has gotten that group more opened up now, as Tomoko's unique personality got her shaken up and the others curious over time. Otherwise, it's also interesting to get the flashback to the first year versions of those cliques. It kind of feels like Yuri was sort of along with Mako in Minami and Sachi's group, so I wonder if there were some incident in first or second year which really had Yuri souring on those others. Not surprising given how nasty we've seen they can get.

Speaking of Ucchi again, though, plenty of hilarity with what she gets involved in here. Even though she missed being in the same room or same class as Tomoko, I like how she's being really bold in trying to recreate the creepy Tomoko class trip experience. She comes right on into the Kuroki's group's room in a bathrobe, with Fuuka answering the door and all of them, including Katou helping her study, there. They're probably a bit puzzled by her. Ucchi claims to be coming to help Tomoko study, and even seems to convince Katou to leave to take a bath on a path. Katou is a nice soul, though I still wonder if she completely trusted her because Ucchi was certainly looking weird and untrustworthy. She totally managed to derail the studying there, though did not having a way of getting Fuuka and Miho to leave too as her ideal would be. All of them get caught up in a psychology test on TV, something Tomoko has quite a history getting involved in. I had kind of forgotten one had popped up back when Tomoko and Ucchi shared a room. But Tomoko didn't forget at all, and Tomoko's mentioning that has Ucchi give such a cute reaction. :D

Yuri is back in her room after the bath, thinking about her talk with Nagi's group. It's nice to see Yuri feels like they were surprisingly easy to talk to, even though she was fretting facing them without Tomoko and Mako around. She has "felt uneasy around girls grouped into cliques like that", so it was nice to see her realize they aren't all like that. Again, I kind of wonder if it's a sour experience with Sachi and Minami's group in particular, and maybe others in the past, that has her feeling like that. Nagi's group may have been the type to be taken to gossip and the like perhaps but it didn't feel like they were particularly nasty. Maybe neither good nor bad, considering what Uchi was like to Tomoko before she knew her. Her "Like Tomoko, huh..." aside gets me to thinking whether she's referring to being surprisingly easy to talk to, or if it's a bit of empathy with Tomoko over feeling uneasy about such groups (either way, it's a nice feeling, the later case in showing their empathy with each other is rather mutual).

But then right after she thinks that, Yuri gets to be just like Tomoko probably in a way she didn't expect too... Yuri had noticed someone was in the bathroom when she got there and had assumed it was Uchi. Though Katou ends up coming out naked, not knowing Yuri's there, and it's quite the beautiful sight. I think Tomoko might have died from the epic sexiness if she was there. Yuri is apologetic over not letting Katou know she was there, though of course it was not really in her character to actively let people she wasn't too close with know she was around. She goes to help Katou bring her a towel she asks for, and ends up shaking loose Katou's underwear on the bed while she as at it. I love the bit of bemusement Yuri seems to have over herself getting into hijinks that are so much like Tomoko, going "Heh heh" as she hold Katou's underwear (and does feel like a rather fitting kind of underwear for Katou too ) Yuri's slightly more boyish look with her hair up really seems quite fitting for the more unusually perverted moment for her. Oh, and cliffhanger as Katou seems to notice as she's still standing around naked not being handed her towel. Heh, quite looking forward to see how that continues. Some great stuff all around this chapter.

Comment

• Re: Chapter 171

assuming that's her:
                        Probably the driver is Mokotchi's mother. In the scene, Komi-san speaks in a polite style which a polite younger person is likely to use when she speaks to an older person.
                        Komi-san may again try to make a good impression on Mokotchi's mother so that she can get married to Tomoki.

there's Marines items around the stop.
                        That place is Kaihin Makuhari Station.
                        http://whiteblog.biz/wp-content/uplo...18/10/05-1.jpg

but I'm willing to bet she's taking in the scenery in off-panel somewhere.
                        Yeah, probably Komi-san talked about the Marines very much.

It's amusing to see Itou note Yuu's condition,
                        Itō-san asks whether Yū-chan is OK, and Yū-chan says that she is OK. But the Japanese word equivalent to OK is written in katakana in Yū-chan's speech balloon. So Yū-chan's discourse in which she says she is OK itself already indicates that in reality she is not so OK.

A generic version of me...
                        Yeah, actually, Utchī is a generic version of Yū-chan.

And I like how the appearance of Katou just gets to startling Yuu...
                        When Yū-chan sees Katō-san, she gives a short shriek. The hiragana which represent Yū-chan's shriek were printed in a fount which is likely to be used in horror manga.

Tomoko's comment with Yuri on the bus how it's like the school trip is quite heartwarming.
                        In the bus scene, the staffer for the cram school says, 'Shiori,' when she is referring to the booklet about the study camp.
                        The word 'shiori' is frequently used when people are referring to booklets about school trips. So the booklet, too, makes Mokotchi remember the school trip.

Speaking of the school trip, Mokotchi uses the same bag in the study camp as the bag which she used in the school trip.
                        Like the study camp chapter, many students used trolley cases in the school trip chapter, and I think Mokotchi said something about other students' trolley cases in school trip chapter.

The name of the cram school is Meikō Academy, and probably it is a parody of the Eikō Seminar cram school.
                        Real-life Eikō Seminar is a cram school for schoolchildren and students who want to enter top-notch middle schools and high schools, though.
                        The kanji for Mei of Meikō Academy means 'dark' and 'foolish'. Is it OK to attend a cram school with such a name when someone wants to enter a good university?

In the bus scene and the opening ceremony scene, Utchī is staring at Mokotchi. That is creepy.

And gets us a cute moment as Tomoko ends up in the same C class as Yuu.
                        In the scene, Mokotchi's eyes, too, are drawn as two blank rounds, probably because she is shocked at being categorised as a student who is bad at schoolwork like Yū-chan. That is funny.

she does the same kind of posturing like back when they had the table tennis matches.
                        Utchī says that she waits for Mokotchi at the B class/height, and Mokotchi says 'O...ō...' as the response to Utchī's remark.
                        'O...ō...' is an internet slang expression.
                        When Person A says something and Person B says, 'O, ō' as the response to Person A's remark, it means that, while Person B hesitantly expresses superficial approval to Person A's remark as 'diplomatic courtesy', in reality Person B does not completely approve Person A's remark (and maybe Person B even wants to do tsukkomi to Person A's remark).

Komi is still going to try to fit her baseball viewing
                        Though Komi-san just thought about baseball viewing only in her brain and did not make a verbal statement about it, Itō-san sensed that Komi-san was thinking about watching a Marines baseball game. Itō-san may be an ESPer.

Katou is quite in serious mode at the end, though, not about Yuu but about Tomoko.
                        Though there is a question sheet for class on the desk, actually what Katō-san is doing is her reconsidering the study plan for Mokotchi.
                        Is it OK for a girl whose academic ability is only on the aiming-at-entering-Aogaku level not to concentrate on class?

half hearted effort
                        In that part, Katō-san says, 'ちょっとできる' in the Japanese edition, it means 'being so-so at schoolwork.'
                        So what Katō-san thinks in the thought balloon is 'I didn't expect that Kuroki-san would be categorised as Class C. Since Kuroki-san is so-so at schoolwork, Kuroki-san has less sense of crisis than Naruse-san has due to it. Whether Kuroki-san will pass the entrance exam may be in a really dangerous situation.'
                        I'm not sure the Yen Press translation has this nuance, though.

Comment

Probably the driver is Mokotchi's mother. In the scene, Komi-san speaks in a polite style which a polite younger person is likely to use when she speaks to an older person.
                          Komi-san may again try to make a good impression on Mokotchi's mother so that she can get married to Tomoki.
                          Oh yeah, I had taken note of Komi-san's politeness, but wasn't thinking of the Tomoki angle. Yeah, I agree :D

When Yū-chan sees Katō-san, she gives a short shriek. The hiragana which represent Yū-chan's shriek were printed in a fount which is likely to be used in horror manga.
                          Yep, that's the feel I got out of that too. Katou's so sweet usually, but when it comes to her intensity at helping an underperforming student study, she becomes a horror.

In the bus scene, the staffer for the cram school says, 'Shiori,' when she is referring to the booklet about the study camp.
                          The word 'shiori' is frequently used when people are referring to booklets about school trips. So the booklet, too, makes Mokotchi remember the school trip.

Speaking of the school trip, Mokotchi uses the same bag in the study camp as the bag which she used in the school trip.
                          Like the study camp chapter, many students used trolley cases in the school trip chapter, and I think Mokotchi said something about other students' trolley cases in school trip chapter.
                          Oh, that's neat to see the connection there. Probably a part of what gets Tomoko remembering. Translated as "guidebook" in the Yen release.

And as for the bags, that's a good observation. Tomoko bringing a duffel bag, while it's not the choice of pretty much everyone else. Tomoko being an odd one out with her trip choices was highlighted not only with the bags but also bringing the school track suit to lounge in. In any case I guess Tomoko doesn't have a rolling suitcase (not being the type I'd expect to travel much anyway) and is fine with just lugging around her usual bag. Looks like Itou is carrying a bag too, though hers looks less plain compared to Tomoko with the leaf design and teddy bear charm.

The name of the cram school is Meikō Academy, and probably it is a parody of the Eikō Seminar cram school.
                          Real-life Eikō Seminar is a cram school for schoolchildren and students who want to enter top-notch middle schools and high schools, though.
                          The kanji for Mei of Meikō Academy means 'dark' and 'foolish'. Is it OK to attend a cram school with such a name when someone wants to enter a good university?
                          Yen Press seems to give a different etymology in the notes, that it's a pun on "the national test-prep company Meikou" with the "mei" kanji for "bright" being replaced by "gloomy". They transliterated the name as "Weikou" to give a similar feels to other spoofs like "WacDonalds". Heh, in any case, with that kanji I wonder if the author is want to get a dig in at such companies? Maybe the portrayal of the teachers and Tomoko and Yuri's reaction to them is part of it too.

Though Komi-san just thought about baseball viewing only in her brain and did not make a verbal statement about it, Itō-san sensed that Komi-san was thinking about watching a Marines baseball game. Itō-san may be an ESPer.
                          Hah. I think she just knows her very well at this point.

Though there is a question sheet for class on the desk, actually what Katō-san is doing is her reconsidering the study plan for Mokotchi.
                          Is it OK for a girl whose academic ability is only on the aiming-at-entering-Aogaku level not to concentrate on class?

In that part, Katō-san says, 'ちょっとできる' in the Japanese edition, it means 'being so-so at schoolwork.'
                          So what Katō-san thinks in the thought balloon is 'I didn't expect that Kuroki-san would be categorised as Class C. Since Kuroki-san is so-so at schoolwork, Kuroki-san has less sense of crisis than Naruse-san has due to it. Whether Kuroki-san will pass the entrance exam may be in a really dangerous situation.'
                          I'm not sure the Yen Press translation has this nuance, though.
                          Yeah, I see. So being so-so and having not experienced big failures, Tomoko thinks she can still slack off a little bit and be fine. Yuu already knows she needs all the help she can get. So Katou is more acutely aware Tomoko is in as much danger of slipping up as Yuu and so needs to focus more on her than expected.
                          Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 07-30-2021, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, I had taken note of Komi-san's politeness, but wasn't thinking of the Tomoki angle. Yeah, I agree :D
                            Oh, since you saw through Komi-san's to-get-married-to-Tomoki-kun tactics before. I thought you again saw through Komi-san's tactics also in Chapter 171. ^_^

Oh, that's neat to see the connection there. Probably a part of what gets Tomoko remembering. Translated as "guidebook" in the Yen release.
                            The stylistic feel of the Japanese word 'shiori' is gentle and soft-spoken in the first place.
                            And the word 'shiori' is also used to refer to booklets about school excursions and camp schools.
                            So the word 'shiori' tends to make people remember fond memories of school excursions, camp schools, school trips and the like.
                            So the term 'shiori' fits to the heartwarming scene where Mokotchi and Yuri-chan talk about the school trip.

And as for the bags, that's a good observation.
                            Thank you.

but also bringing the school track suit to lounge in.
                            Track suits are often regarded as everyday clothes for uncool people who are careless about their appearance (including otaku). So, in a sense, the school track suit becomes Mokotchi.

Looks like Itou is carrying a bag too, though hers looks less plain compared to Tomoko with the leaf design and teddy bear charm.
                            Itō-san is nearer to ordinary high-school girls than Mokotchi is, so it is likely that Itō-san wears a cute hat and has a not-plain bag with a kawaii charm.

Speaking of charms, in the final scene of Chapter 171, Katō-san's propelling pencil has a charm.
                            It also suggests that she likes accessories, like she appreciated a charm which Mokotchi gave to her in the Mouseyland chapter.

Yen Press seems to give a different etymology in the notes,
                            Oh, yes, in Japan, there is a gakushū juku (private, fee-paying schools that offer supplementary classes often in preparation for key school and university entrance exams) whose name is Meikō Gijuku. Probably the Yen edition's note is referring to this Meikō Gijuku.
                            But Meikō Gijuku is a juku which does 1 on 1 tutoring, not the 'one teacher teaches many students at once in a classroom' style cram school like Meikō Academy in the study camp chapters in WataMote.
                            And while the name 'Meikō Gijuku' is written throughout only in kanji, 'Eikō Seminar' and 'Meikō Academy' consist of a two-kanji word and an Occidental word.
                            So 'Meikō Academy' has reminded me of 'Eikō Seminar'.
                            Certainly, the Yen edition's note, too, sounds reasonable, however.
                            The 'Seminar' part of 'Eikō Seminar' is a German word, rather than an English word, and it is a legacy of Prussian things' and German studies' having influenced education in Japan in the Meiji period..

Heh, in any case, with that kanji I wonder if the author is want to get a dig in at such companies?
                            At least, the author's using the bad-meaning kanji in the name of the cram school generates a comedic effect.
                            The author might have lived a dull lackluster high-school student life and might dislike cram schools.

Maybe the portrayal of the teachers and Tomoko and Yuri's reaction to them is part of it too.
                            People often say that teachers for cram schools are hyper/crazy/energetic/pumped in comparison to ordinary high-school teachers.
                            So those would be, in a sense, realistic depictions with some comedic exaggeration.

Hah. I think she just knows her very well at this point.
                            So Itō-san seems to know Komi-san very well to the level where she looks as if she were a psychic.

Yeah, I see. So being so-so and having not experienced big failures, Tomoko thinks she can still slack off a little bit and be fine. Yuu already knows she needs all the help she can get. So Katou is more acutely aware Tomoko is in as much danger of slipping up as Yuu and so needs to focus more on her than expected.
                            Mokotchi seems to be so-so confident in her own academic ability.
                            When she asked Nemo to show her Nemo's test results in Chapter 155, probably Mokotchi thought, 'I, a smart geek, should be brainier than a bimbo/yō-cha like Nemo,' or something along those lines.

Comment

Itō-san is nearer to ordinary high-school girls than Mokotchi is, so it is likely that Itō-san wears a cute hat and has a not-plain bag with a kawaii charm.

Speaking of charms, in the final scene of Chapter 171, Katō-san's propelling pencil has a charm.
                              It also suggests that she likes accessories, like she appreciated a charm which Mokotchi gave to her in the Mouseyland chapter.
                              Yeah, that was the feel I got with Itou too.

And Katou definitely seems the accessorizing type. I noticed in the previous chapter how she pet that weird plush Tomoko's had for years now in her room while the others were gone, which was cute.

Oh, yes, in Japan, there is a gakushū juku (private, fee-paying schools that offer supplementary classes often in preparation for key school and university entrance exams) whose name is Meikō Gijuku. Probably the Yen edition's note is referring to this Meikō Gijuku.
                              But Meikō Gijuku is a juku which does 1 on 1 tutoring, not the 'one teacher teaches many students at once in a classroom' style cram school like Meikō Academy in the study camp chapters in WataMote.
                              And while the name 'Meikō Gijuku' is written throughout only in kanji, 'Eikō Seminar' and 'Meikō Academy' consist of a two-kanji word and an Occidental word.
                              So 'Meikō Academy' has reminded me of 'Eikō Seminar'.
                              Certainly, the Yen edition's note, too, sounds reasonable, however.
                              The 'Seminar' part of 'Eikō Seminar' is a German word, rather than an English word, and it is a legacy of Prussian things' and German studies' having influenced education in Japan in the Meiji period..
                              Ahh... so that's what that was. I tried to look them up, but was hard when Yen just refers to them as "Meikou" and I don't know the kanji. But all very interesting. I guess with them being focused on one-on-one it's unlikely to be the only direct reference.

People often say that teachers for cram schools are hyper/crazy/energetic/pumped in comparison to ordinary high-school teachers.
                              So those would be, in a sense, realistic depictions with some comedic exaggeration.
                              Yeah, it definitely felt like a point was made on perceived difference from the "ordinary" teachers.

Comment

And Katou definitely seems the accessorizing type. I noticed in the previous chapter how she pet that weird plush Tomoko's had for years now in her room while the others were gone, which was cute.
                                The Yen edition may have a note on these, but the plushie which Katō-san pets in Chapter 170 is modelled on Sanrio's Gudetama.
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gudetama
                                The plushie which Yū-chan pets in Chapter 170 is a plushie of emoticon Shobon. Emoticon Shobon represents the face of a person with an unhappy look. Emoticon Shobon was much used on 2ch in the early 2000s. It is still used on the internet.

In the 1st scene in Chapter 170, we can see Mokotchi have a girlish bag with a kawaii picture of a fox at the side of the desk.
                                So, though she is an uncool nerd who is distant from ordinary high-school girls and their girlish subculture, it seems that in Mokotchi there is a part which is still attracted to kawaii and girlish stuff.
                                The Shobon plushie might suggest that Mokotchi has both a nerdy/2ch-ish facet and a girlish facet.

But all very interesting.
                                Thank you.
                                Since élite students at top-notch universities and higher schools studied Germanistik and natural science and medical science imported from Prussia in olden days, the German word 'Seminar' like 'Eikō Seminar' can still make lower-middlebrow people think, 'Oh, if I attend this Seminar, I can become smart.'
                                The word 'gijuku' originally meant a 'school of which economic foundation depends on donation.' But now people tend to think that the word 'gijuku' is just a word which poshly means a 'school.'
                                The most famous school which has the word 'gijuku' in its name is Keiō Gijuku, which was established by samurai-scholar Fukuzawa Yukichi in the Edo period.
                                Since Keiō Gijuku is very famous and very prestigious, there are minor schools like Meikō Gijuku which capitalise upon the prestigiousness of Keiō Gijuku by means of using the same word 'gijuku' in their names.
                                Since one of the major subjects in recent chapters of WataMote is to pass the entrance exam for a university, we may be going to see Keiō University mentioned in a chapter of WataMote. Analogically speaking, to enter Keiō University would be like to enter an Ivy League university in the States.
                                I think we talked about the 'like by-escalator' school system before. The Keiō educational institution, too, has the 'escalator' system, so upper-class and upper-middle-class people often want to make their children enter a primary school which belongs to the Keiō educational institution.
                                Last edited by kijakusai; 08-02-2021, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X