Widgets Magazine

No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapter 165

So now we already get to see what I assume are the plans with Tomoko that Nemo mentioned in the previous chapter. She is inviting her out to study by the beach with her and Okada. So maybe not as taking a break from studying as seemed to Tomoko the previous chapter. Mako had an appointment with Yoshida on career plans. It's nice how those two are encouraging each other in getting more serious about their futures. Though that had Yuri planning to go home with Tomoko since she was otherwise on her lonesome, and so found herself roped into the Nemo outing by design. I don't think we got that Nemo directly invited Yuri, though I do wonder if Nemo may have had some inkling that she would be along anyway. Nemo at least seems quite happy to have and trying to pressure her into doing friend-type things. I do like the kind of two-with-two of the closest-knit of the "normie side" and the "loner side" together. When Tomoko was out by herself with Nemo and Okada, poor Okada was overwhelmed by the otaku-ness, but with this setup and Nemo needing to be serious about her studies, we get a more "normal" side with her.

Heh, it fits Yuri to have her critical of why they're even doing this, on why they're out studying by the beach out in the elements when they might be more comfortable in a library. It's a line of thinking we would have expected of the indoorsy Tomoko earlier in the series, though now it seems like Tomoko is more up for going along with it and feeling very "springtime of youth" to her. Plus it feels right for her given they are near the ocean in Chiba. Though Nemo's initial reply is rather scientific in how the sound of the ocean is supposed to help them study. The audio research focus angle to it has me wondering if it's some tidbit Nemo has picked up on the side of looking into voice acting related stuff. Gives me a feel about how seriously she's taking it though.

Yuri is so amusingly cynical about it all, continuing to counter Nemo's claims with how they could just listen to the sound on the phone rather than going out to the beach. It's really cute to see how Okada is so impressed Yuri is actually talking this much. It's an unusual thing except when she's only among her closest friend, so does kind of show how she's opened up to Nemo even if it's in a slightly combative kind of way. Though Tomoko of course is all aware of the tropes with the outgoing Okada having gotten the introverted Yuri to clam up at the observation. Amusingly, Nemo herself gives into Yuri's cynical solution with her phone when the waves end up being quiet. When they all, particularly Tomoko, get to contributing, it in contrast to their efforts just gets too noisy to even concentrate. So very adorable again when that kind of thing gets Yuri to laugh, and Okada falls right into one of the tropes Tomoko had already specifically outlined just a few pages before. Despite being a trope, it's so danged nice.

And speaking of a nice moment, it's definitely an interesting moment seeing Tomoko question that Okada is happy to get a break from school. It really gets to the heart of a misconception that Tomoko was so deeply wrapped in the beginning of the manga, that school was particularly miserable for her, but the normies she despised, sometimes rather specifically being Okada's group, enjoyed their life at school so much. But it's normal even for Okada to feel like there's a lot of annoyances about school. And Tomoko outright admits in her thoughts she's only realizing it's natural now too.

Nemo further derails her own argument for study when she gets to feeling so hot that she decides to take a break and go out and have fun in the water. Yuri is naturally the one particularly reluctant to join in. Her excuse being the water is dirty to her, and Tomoko kind of agrees with that idea when Nemo surprise splashes her. Nemo snaps back, but eventually leans on Tomoko to try and get Yuri out in the water so they can all take a picture together wading out in the water. It's amusing Tomoko is quite effective in getting Yuri out just by highlighting how short the inconveniences will be. Despite the success, Nemo retorts since I think she's trying desperately to get a slice-of-life anime heartwarming theme when they're going about it so matter-of-factly.

Yuri ends up being proven right over her fear of inconveniences when seaweed tickling their feet causes her, Tomoko, and Nemo to fall over in the water. Nemo ends up having to get them all drenched in the water, with Okada (who was spared) to duck them with them, for their group shot. It's definitely quite a fun one with their varying expressions. Tomoko notes how their uniforms will smell like the sea after they dry, but Nemo thinks it's OK since it's summer break and they won't have to be wearing them anyway. Like clockwork, Aa-chan right after gets the message that the baseball team is too good yet again, and they're forced to go to school to cheer them on. Particularly amusing since we just had Katou recounting that moment of the 2nd year just last chapter, and here it is again. And Yuri is getting every opportunity she can to rub it into Nemo how this is her fault. I do think that deep she's enjoyed this despite the mishaps, as she had before when Okada was pointing it out. Definitely enjoyed the focus on these four for this chapter.

Comment

• Chapter 166

Tomoko, Yuri, Mako, and Okada all meet up with Katou in advance of the high school baseball game. Nemo's late and wanted them all to go ahead of her. It's amusing there's no avoiding smelling like the sea, like they were worried about, with Katou noticing it with Tomoko. Figures Tomoko would make a pervy excuse blaming Nemo who is not there to defend herself. "Showered with a fishy liquid". I guess not completely untrue since she was splashing her at the beach :D but Okada of course doesn't want her to say it so weirdly. Hearing they went to the beach, it's amusing how Katou starts to put her style of pressure on as she starts to think they are not taking studying as seriously as they should. Tomoko would seem to have some solid backup since it's Okada who comes out that they were basically studying at the beach, with her being the type others like Katou would expect to be honest. But then Yuri blows it up with her usual bluntness. Not that it feels like she's wrong, since it definitely seems like they were not focused much at all even though they did try to study. Tomoko is pretty displeased looking bad in front of Katou with that reveal, and even Mako who wasn't there feels Yuri is making things too awkward with that "Yuri!" retort she usually does when Yuri's making a social faux pas. Katou is keeping up that pressure by suggesting they all study in place where they can focus better.

When Nemo meets up with them in the stadium, we find she was late apparently late because she washed her skirt and just wouldn't get dry in time. Okada just used her winter skirt. I guess there's not much difference to using it in the summer, anyway. Interesting to see they're all in a stadium that the pro baseball teams use time. The fortunes of the baseball team seem to have gotten even better than last year. And with Tomoko commenting on that situation, we all know who to expect to respond with a detailed analysis of the situation. Always fun to see Komiyama giving her chance to nerd out about baseball. But maybe our baseball team is not so fortunate. The team they're up against already is quite the powerhouse according to Komi. Komi goes on and on about that as most (aside from maybe Katou are giving her awkward looks), and Tomoko is getting to be cringed out in her thoughts as Komi keeps continuing. Katou is such an angel. She actually seems somewhat genuinely attentive and compliments Komi on how knowledgeable she is. Tomoko still astounded by the depth of Katou's kindness, and back to being cringed over how Komi just responds by additionally bringing up her expertise with Lotte. Tomoko realizes as I had already started too already that without Itou there to subtly counter the cringe Komi can just continue on for a while. Though I had also already realized exactly why she wasn't there. The reason she had been tired out a few chapters back was she had to do more band stuff to support the team, so naturally is with the band here. Tomoko seemed to witness that, but I guess she forgot about Komi's band status, since she only just now notices her with the band and bemoans her neglect of Komi-something tsukkomi duties (amusing thing I didn't realize before that "komi" is part of "tsukkomi" so actually a bit punny :D ). Though speaking of the band, we heard from Komi earlier that the opposing team is also quite famous for their very large support band. The poor band is up against as difficult competition as the team itself.

We next get to see Fuuka come by looking quite nice in cheerleader outfit. It's something I wonder if Katou would be part of if it were not the fact she's a third year taking studying quite seriously at this point. Seems Fuuka was mainly roped in by the underclassmen who Katou notes she is quite popular with (does seem the natural type of that, as opposed to Tomoko who only really gets the appreciation from Shizuku's quirky self) and who became enthusiastic about practice when they could do cheering for an actual big game. But Fuuka's also got her fellow third-year Miho also participating in the cheering. Miho seems to be the type who really likes to teasingly show off her cuteness given the audience's reaction to covering her armpits. And we can all bet on Tomoko perving as hard as she can with Fuuka in the "pervert's dream outfit". Tomoko would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for the one most obsessed with Tomoko's perviness spotting it even from a little distance away and calling it out on megaphone (that are likely meant for cheering the team rather than calling pervs out). Heh, Ucchi is getting to feel less inhibited with Tomoko and even not being in close with the group this time, she really shakes things up as she puts Tomoko in quite the amusingly embarassed defensive mode.

I love how yet again we see Katou's memory in terms of her interactions with Tomoko is so danged good, even before Tomoko became more acutely aware of her being seat neighbors in class late in the second year, as hear Katou knows quite well how much Tomoko perved on her while she was watching the cheering at the sports festival. Yuri adds her voice about Tomoko's habits, frustrating Tomoko as she notes how the usually reserved Yuri is only speaking up in these instances. And Nemo remembers just as well being perved on at the sports festival as we all saw too. It's interesting the shake up in Fuuka's perspective as everyone is dogpiling on Tomoko's perviness. She's so singlemindedly obsessesed with Asuka that she had had it Tomoko was only going after her, but now thinking Tomoko is more of a pervert in general. But with Fuuka getting to the point of voicing that, Tomoko is not just going to take it without a response, given she's gotten to think Fuuka is a "lowlife maiden" at this point. She nervously goes to outing Fuuka putting up her "hair" obsession on her tanzaku. That blushing face on Fuuka as she goes into "I-It's not like that, Asuka!" mode is so danged adorable. I'm not sure whether Fuuka is relieved or not that her Asuka seems to not understand what she means by hair. Katou hears "hair" from Tomoko and immediately her mind goes more sexual than Tomoko intended, yet the exact opposite for Fuuka meaning that with "hair" and Katou not realizing it here.

It's amusing as Tomoko was focused on Komi's digression earlier, here on the other hand Komi wants to derail the even longer digression into Tomoko being a complete pervert since she just wants everyone to respect the baseball players giving it all and cheer them on. Tomoko is peeved that only now Komi is sensible, when apart from her baseball mania Tomoko knows quite well Komi herself is a complete pervert about a certain someone is not around for Komi to perv over at the moment. As the other team's cheer squad comes on intensely, and Komi keeps up her commentary, Tomoko seems more chill over the situation that she was earlier. I guess despite her immediate reaction, she's grudgingly relieved the focus is off her perviness and back on the game. The band with Itou and the cheer girls with Fuuka and Miho are at it seriously now in response to the other team's tears, and also nice to see that sweet manager girl we've seen in previous years again, taking notes on the sidelines.

As the game gets into its final innings, things aren't looking that great for Harujuku Makuhari on the scoreboard. Komi keeps offering her commentary on how much higher quality game the opposing team, though some praise on even given all that, they've managed to limit them to three runs. But soon after one of the last batters come up, we soon see signs that it ended not well for Harumaku. Even with her face hidden in her hands, we can tell how devastating it is to the baseball manager girl who's been supporting the team so hard. Her presence at one point early in Tomoko's first year implies that this is her final year with the team. The usually cheery Katou has an uncharacteristically sad face, and even Tomoko, who we know is not much fan of the sport, looks genuinely down too. Miho must have gone at it a bit too enthusiastically. Looking completely out of it with her head covered with a towel and an ice bag. But a bit of amusement to that as Fuuka points her blocking the way and her very indecent posture. I'm getting to like Miho's shamelessness and hope to see more of her. Also sweet to see Komi go to Itou as soon as she can. They're having it rough. As the girls talk on the way out, Nemo tries to soften things by emphasizing the "so close, but far away" nature of the situation. They'd still have two more rounds even if they won this before actually getting to Koshien, and would seem incredibly daunting when the next two teams would likely still be on the level of this opponent if not higher. Tomoko does get to thinking about how last year she just wanted the team to hurry up and lose, but genuinely got to feel different this time. I think there's some karma at work too in how the baseball team helped take care of her after the game last time too. Last time she hadn't even met her class trip friends and had a still somewhat bitter outlook, but now she can appreciate the effort more now that she's applying herself to go to college with her friends.

And that's just where we go with the nice ending moment of the chapter. Katou is asking them out to eat to cheer them up. But then Tomoko further prods them on to study, reasoning they're all in their uniforms already right now anyway. The "I don't want this to end..." note is so sweet. Her summer is so different this time, and it's her last one, not wanting to waste it away as had been so common with her. It's definitely gotten silly. Yuri interrupts the nice moment to point out Tomoko was peeking at panties rather than watching the game. Katou's way of teasing Tomoko over that by offering up Fuuka is still so amusing as well. Even with as absolutely silly as it is gotten, Tomoko wants it to continue the same.

Comment

• Re: Chapter 165

In the early part of the chapter, Yuri compares Aogaku to Meiji.
        Both of them are included in so-called MARCH, which is a term that means a group of so-so universities (Meiji, Aoyama, Rikkyō, Chūō, and Hōsei).
        Actually, Meiji (thinly disguised as Morinaga in the manga) is usually regarded as a slightly better university than Aoyama Gakuin (thinly disguised as Aoyama Gakuen).

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
        It's really cute to see how Okada is so impressed Yuri is actually talking this much.
        Okada-san's saying, 'Tamura, you are a girl who talks very much. (I didn't expect it.)' reminds me of a -cha's saying to in-cha, 'You seem to like trains.' ^_^;

Yuri is naturally the one particularly reluctant to join in.
        When Mokotchi asks Yuri to join, Mokotchi uses the expression 'sakitcho (point, tip, end)'.
        This may be a thing which the Yen Press edition has a note about, but that is a reference to a comical and jokey cliché which is believed to be often used by a man when he seduces a woman and which connotes the 'tip (of a penis)'.
        So Nemo has done tsukkomi to Mokotchi's wording in the scene.

In the final panel, the smartphone shows us a photo, and the photo nicely conveys a fun atmosphere and a 'springtime of youth' feel.
        In a sense, maybe their having fallen over in the water was a good thing. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
          When Mokotchi asks Yuri to join, Mokotchi uses the expression 'sakitcho (point, tip, end)'.
          This may be a thing which the Yen Press edition has a note about, but that is a reference to a comical and jokey cliché which is believed to be often used by a man when he seduces a woman and which connotes the 'tip (of a penis)'.
          So Nemo has done tsukkomi to Mokotchi's wording in the scene.
          There's no note, and sadly I don't think Yen translated it in a way where the sexual implications are so readily apparent. But now I definitely see it since you bring it up, and Nemo's tsukkomi makes a lot more sense.

I have noticed some little errors around, like you mention Morinaga (which it looks like they misspelled this chapter as "Matsunaga"). And there's a line of Ogino's back in ch. 160 that made little sense: "Yoshida, patch things up with Eri-chan", but after not finding a single thing about who the heck Eri-chan was (I was theorizing it might be Yoshida's mom and Ogino knew her or something), I checked a fan translation which just seemed to be Ogino telling her something about fixing her uniform. So not really surprised I'm missing things in the translation with those kind of mistakes around.

In the final panel, the smartphone shows us a photo, and the photo nicely conveys a fun atmosphere and a 'springtime of youth' feel.
          In a sense, maybe their having fallen over in the water was a good thing. ^_^
          I really loved that photo in the final panel. What I was mentioning with the variety of their expressions: Okada the most outgoing and least inconvenienced (just having to have gotten down rather than fallen in) looking the cheeriest, all the way to Yuri being Yuri with her expression. Tomoko definitely looks like she appreciates the moment, though, following up on that earlier springtime of youth comment of hers, and maybe even Yuri appreciated it a little too despite her getting back at them next chapter

Spoiler ->over not really being able to focus on studying.

Comment

And there's a line of Ogino's back in ch. 160 that made little sense: "Yoshida, patch things up with Eri-chan", but after not finding a single thing about who the heck Eri-chan was (I was theorizing it might be Yoshida's mom and Ogino knew her or something), I checked a fan translation which just seemed to be Ogino telling her something about fixing her uniform.
            Since you had talked about a line spoken by Ogino-sensei in Chapter 160, I re-read Chapter 160.
            In the panel in question in Chapter 160, Ogino-sensei has said, '吉田 襟ちゃんと直しなさい。'
            If we romanise the sentence '吉田 襟ちゃんと直しなさい,' it is 'Yoshida, eri chanto naoshinasai.'

吉田 Yoshida → Ogino-sensei has called Yoshida's name.
            襟 eri → the collar
            ちゃんと chanto → neat, tidy, properly
            直しなさい naoshinasai → fix. This is an imperative form.

So actually, in the panel in question, Ogino-sensei has said, 'Yoshida, fix your collar properly.' But probably the translator for the Yen Press erroneously thought that the word '襟 eri' was a girl's name and the 'ちゃん chan' part of 'ちゃんと chanto' was the honorific '-chan'.
            To the eyes of native users of Japanese, the sentence 'eri chanto naoshinasai' cannot be seen as a sentence which means 'You must repair the relationship with (a girl whose name is) Eri-chan,' or something along those lines, but the translator for the Yen Press, who was not very good at Japanese, erroneously thought that 'eri chan' was a girl's name and '-to' was a particle equivalent to 'with' (of 'patch things up with').
            And, probably, he/she could not understand the correct and strict meaning of the verb part in the sentence and how the verb was related with other elements of the sentence, he/she erroneously thought the verb '直す naosu' was 'to repair (the relationship with a person)', and he/she thought up the English translation 'patch things up with' out of desperation.
            Actually, native users of Japanese usually don't use the verb 'naosu' when they talk about cases such as 'repairing' the relationship with a person, but the translator for the Yen Press seems to lack such Japanese language-related knowledge.
            Probably one of the reasons why the translator could not understand the sentence well is that, since Ogino-sensei spoke in a colloquial way, the particle which jointed the verb (naosu, 'fix') and its object (eri, 'the collar') was omitted. If Ogino-sensei had said, 'Yoshida, eri wo (←this is the particle) chanto naoshinasai,' the translator for the Yen Press might have been able to understand the meaning of the sentence well. But such omission is a usual thing in colloquial Japanese text/discourse, if someone wants to work as a professional translator of Japanese text/discourse, he/she must know such a thing well.
            Also, since we can see Yoshida-san's cravat and collar be untidy in the early part of the chapter, if the translator for the Yen Press had been a keen person, he/she could have used that visual information as a hint about the meaning of the line spoken by Ogino-sensei.

Comment

I have noticed some little errors around, like you mention Morinaga (which it looks like they misspelled this chapter as "Matsunaga").
              Hmmm...since '森永' are easy kanji, it is mysterious that the translator for the Yen Press erroneously read the kanji '森' as 'matsu'.
              Possibly the translator is bad at Japanese to the level where he/she cannot distinguish '森 mori' and '松 matsu'? (Both of them are tree-related kanji.)
              The kanji '森永' in the scene even have the furigana 'もりなが (morinaga)'.
              Since both 'Meiji' and 'Morinaga' are the names of famous confectionery companies, if the translator for the Yen Press thought the university which Nemo wanted to enter at was 'Matsunaga', it indicates that he/she doesn't even understand the confectionery-related wordplay about the universities' names.

What I was mentioning with the variety of their expressions:
              You seem to have scrutinised details of the photo well. ^_^
              The four friends seem to have enjoyed the 'sinking to their waists in the water and taking a selfie' little summer adventure.
              Since Nemo likes light-hearted comedic slice-of-life anime, probably she enjoyed the slice-of-life anime-like little summer adventure of Chapter 165 very much.

Yuri being Yuri with her expression.
              Yeah, Tamura-san's mimic muscles are 10g or so. ^_^

Comment

• Re: Chapter 160

Also, since we can see Yoshida-san's cravat and collar be untidy in the early part of the chapter, if the translator for the Yen Press had been a keen person, he/she could have used that visual information as a hint about the meaning of the line spoken by Ogino-sensei.
                Heh, and untidy is how Yoshida usually seems to like it. It's interesting checking the chapter again and seeing how at the very end when she meets back up with everyone post-suspension, her collar is undone and necktie is rather loose as we'd usually expect of her. Reverts it as soon as she doesn't need to keep up appearances during suspension. The moment with her in front of the principal (after Ogino advises her) where it's on tightly is a rare one indeed.

How often is 襟 even a girl's name "Eri" anyway? I don't feel like I've seen it in all the times I've looked at anime staff, cast, and characters with that given name. Feels like there should have been a red flag to double check things before going ahead with translating it that way. And of course, in addition to what I've said before in that it doesn't make much sense because we've never heard about a character named Eri in the series before. I got to knowing what was really meant due to that fan translation already (which did translate it as "collar"), but thanks for breaking it down.

Comment

• Chapter 167

And now we have Tomoko's summer life at home. Except this time, Tomoko is vowing to do things differently from previous summers where she wasted so much time away. She's got to be serious about studying, and Tomoko has nightmare visions of the future of flailing around when she procrastinated so hard on the summer. It's definitely something we would see Tomoko fall into if she weren't more motivated this time. Even Tomoko's body seems to be telling her something, with how she was able to wake up early even though it was summer. And she decides to do something other than laze back to sleep, even if it's just seeing some summer morning sights like radio exercises and looking through lewd mens' magazines at the convenience store.

Tomoko does try to go right into studying, but still needs some further motivation, ending up calling friends on a whim. It's amusing how shocked Tomoko is at Yuu actually studying when she calls her. Looks like Yuu is continuing her Skype sessions with Komi and Itou which is nice. And then Tomoko calls Yuri. It's nice Tomoko how close it feels like Tomoko has gotten to her that she calls her like this. Tomoko seems to find some relief in Yuri saying she's not studying, but then Yuri says she was until a bit ago. I had a feeling Tomoko was going to ask to study together since it seems like Tomoko realizes that having others around can keep her on her toes about sticking to it. And Yuri's wondering if Tomoko wants Yuri to come over to her house, though Tomoko has the Skype idea from Komi having mentioned it. Though honestly I hope we do get to see them visiting each other's houses in person at some point. That would bound to be interesting. Neat to get a look at Yuri's bed and room with the panels of her on the phone here: doesn't seem like we've seen it often.

Yuri can only do video with her phone (makes sense with Yuri being more "average", Tomoko is a bit more of an geek I guess in even having a computer monitor), so she's doing it with it on her desk looking down at the screen with Tomoko. It makes for a very amusing visual on Tomoko's end where she looks like she has a disgusted empty-eyed expression. Tomoko's mind is drawn to lewd side of video conferencing and gets to some of her usual light sexual harassment comments with Yuri. "Are you mad?" "No, I'm not mad." Hilariously, though it looks like she is the visual.

Though Tomoko goes for a different idea on the next set of hijinks as Yuri leaves for the bathroom. Tomoko thinks she can make Yuri laugh by popping up from the side in the buff. I love how weird she is. But Tomoko just gets caught in an awkward situation where Yuri comes back with the idea that she's gone off to the bathroom, and starts humming to herself. As someone who feels license to hum when I'm absolutely sure no one is around, that bit with Yuri is quite relatable. It seems quite fitting of her too, as often as we've seen her around with earphones since very early on. And as Tomoko comes in with a cough to alert her of her presence, Yuri's reaction of embarassment is so danged adorable. Tomoko tries to ease the situation by complimenting her, but here we see Yuri really IS angry now, given her patented slam of her fist right next to her phone with Tomoko on screen. Tomoko is kind of relieved they're not in person as it looks like it would be very physically painful for her if they were. "We're studying, aren't we?" Love how she repeats that line twice, once after each set of hijinks, as to reinforce the point that Tomoko really seems to take any distraction from studying she gets.

In the end, though, it does look like Tomoko did actually manage to get in a good bit of studying with Yuri as she's tired in bed later. Tomoko is keen to "push my limits" and not got right to bed though. Going out for another convenience store visit. It's neat to see her wondering about that cat she met a few years ago in summer. She's got more companions than just a cat now. After recharging from the magazines, Tomoko does manage to get back into studying a little more, but at some point gets to surprise calling Nemo. Again, like with Yuri, nice how close she's gotten that she can randomly call like that (Katou is bound to feel a little jealous if she knew). Though with this call, Tomoko is pretty much done with studying, bragging she got in 10 hours (not bad at all) and wanting to relax with anime with Nemo. And Tomoko knows that Nemo likes the relaxing-style anime, unsurprisingly the one Tomoko's picked out that she thinks Nemo might be watching is indeed one that she is. So cute how Tomoko prods Nemo from a voice actor training angle to explain the show for her, like it's an impromptu Blu-ray extra commentary.

As Nemo gets into introducing the characters, it's hilarious Tomoko's sleepy brain misinterprets them. The token gaijin in the anime they're watching gets Tomoko thinking "stinky armpits". I feel bad for not realizing she was referencing Olivia from Asobi Asobase there right off the bat, though I actually eventually thought of it even before checking the translation note. With the odd gag nature of that show, not too surprised Tomoko would have taken more of an interest in it than the usual slice-of-life show (fun memories of that show for me: I kind of want to rewatch that show). But of course Nemo retorts that they wouldn't do something like that in this clean regular slice-of-life show. And then the long black-haired girl just gets Tomoko further off the mark when she brings up a character from the eroge she made Nemo play once. There are so many long black-haired girls around in otaku media that do kind of blur together at times...

As Nemo finally urges Tomoko on to watch normally, Tomoko apologetically complies, but we can tell she's really about hit her limit in tiredness and probably not going to actually be watching much of the anime. Just as Nemo talks about how the black-haired character reminds her of Tomoko with her communication disorder, Tomoko seems like she's already zonked out. Nemo eventually stops to realize Tomoko has fallen asleep on her. Nemo really did want to watch the whole episode with her, but it's sweet she notices the "kinda satisfied look on her sleepy face". I do like the ways Tomoko is keeping up her interactions with her friends over the summer.

Comment

• Chapter 168

Tomoko's usual convenience store routine is disrupted by the rain, but we soon see a much bigger disruption about to take place. Akari and Sayaka have for some reason shown up at the door along to see Tomoki, and are coming in the house. Put a big smile on my fave to see them after a while and in previously unknown territory: I just knew it was going to be some really fun stuff.

So it looks like the situation was all engineered by Sayaka's forward scheming, with her approaching Nakamura about a homework meetup with her, Akari, Nakamura, and Tomoki, and at Tomoki's house with the convenient excuse of distance. Sayaka's plan seems to be going well at first, with Nakamura's lightly committal responses followed by Tomoki's silence as he's roped into something to where Nakamura is just seemingly agreeing for him. So Akari and Sayaka have shown up at Tomoki's house for the planned study session, but it soon turns out that Nakamura has bailed on them due to the rain. Of course, things are going to awkward rather quickly.

Akari laying out her feelings about Sayaka in her thoughts are very interesting, particularly with them being kind of conflicting. She used to see Sayaka just as someone who wanted to help her in middle school. But now with her slightly more mature self in high school it's gotten to be the point where it's feeling excessively pushy and getting on her nerves. Then Akari realizes she's gotten her first chance to be in Tomoko's room and starts to feel bad she was only thinking about her irritations about Sayaka. Akari is being hard on herself thinking she has an "awful personality", but I do think it shows her heart in calling herself out and trying to have a more positive attitude about the situation. But with Sayaka's awkward set-up attempts, Akari is definitely going to keep calling out her friend's bumbles, "Clumsy! Rushed!! Contrived!!!"

On Sayaka's end, it's very interesting too to see her reaction to Nakamura's absence. Despite the plan no doubt being about getting Nakamura out of the way so Akari and Tomoki can have some time together, and so it would seem easier for her that he didn't show up, Sayaka is disappointed that Nakamura didn't seem to think of the meeting as a big deal. Sayaka even mentions herself in particular dressing up nicely for the occasion. So now we definitely get some proofs that her denials, which come once more here ("It's not like I care about a guy like him!!"), actually may be more of a tsundere kind of thing. It's rather cute and I actually feel a little bad for her since her other efforts of getting Akari and Tomoki together are not likely to go anywhere.

As Akari rejects Sayaka's clumsy excuses to remove herself from the room, Sayaka moves on to her next plan of bringing out a game of Twister. Akari just thinks it's a childish grade school thing, and Tomoki is just wondering what they're even her for, since obviously Twister has got little to do with the homework they're supposed to be doing. Sayaka really is kind of sweet, just thinking about bringing it because of how elementary school friends got together over it and imagining her and Nakamura cheering Akari and Tomoki on as the played together. And then she gets emotional, probably a little bit over her idea of Nakamura being there, and Akari is getting to feel a little guilty and so agrees to play. Tomoki reacts to Sayaka crying but not to the extent he's going to bother playing himself.

And as Akari is playing her odd solo game of Twister, seemingly at this point mostly just to cheer up Sayaka, they are being spied on. Heh, Tomoko must have been blissfully unaware for a little bit, but of course she's going to hear girls' voices in her brother's room and wonder what the heck is going on. I love how she willing to go out the window in the rain with her smartphone to film her brother's room over her curiosity. And of course she takes what she sees with a Twister game in the most perverted light. Tomoko's not going to be having any of that, so much so that her crazy idea of interfering involves siccing her mortal enemy on them, a certain recipe for chaos (Tomoko seems acutely aware too: "this fire could turn into a deadly blaze") and hilarity, and boy does she deliver...

Komiyama amusingly happens to be right in the middle of a study session with Yuu and Itou as Tomoko calls her. Komi is so predictably fired up to action right away. It does seem like she's kind of softened to Akari to a bit, at least in how she initially doesn't assume the worst when she first hears Akari is not alone with him and has Sayaka with them, but then she hears about Twister... Komi has gotten the idea that they are all participating in the game, the omission of Sayaka and Tomoki playing it perhaps because Tomoko has misconceived they are too, but in any case Komi's mind goes right to thinking they are engaging in a threesome and springing to action. All the while amusing too that Yuu and Itou are just watching and Komi seems to say nothing to them as she abruptly takes off from their study session. Yuu is just doing her usual cute sweatdrop thing and Itou knows the turn-offs are going to abound since she's not going to be there with her.

Things take an even more amusingly unexpected turn as Yoshida is out on her motorcycle in the rain for some reason (maybe enjoying the freedom of not being able to be noticed doing what she was suspended for before?), as Komiyama comes across her. You can tell Komi's urgency seeing her running out in the rain with seemingly without grabbing anything to keep her getting drenched, and despite her awkward history with Yoshida, immediately demands a ride to speed up her arrival at the Kuroki house even more. I guess Yoshida accepted despite Komi's bad history and weirdness because she's soft deep down and up to helping someone out in the rain regardless.

Tomoko is there to meet them at the door, and of course asks Yoshida what she's doing there. But sweet Tomoko's mom is there too, being a proper mom and trying to look after them by telling Tomoko to give them a change of clothes. Tomoko's not happy with the idea of them using their bath, but seems to comply.

Meanwhile, things are still awkward with Akari's solo Twister. Sayaka is still trying to urge Tomoko on, and Akari has gotten to the point of having a pitying look to pressure him too. Tomoki escapes the situation by going to wash his face in the bathroom. Tomoki had pinned the blame on Nakamura for being in this situation, and that anger has only seemed to build further with how awkward things have gotten. I do wonder if Nakamura would have been here if it weren't raining (or maybe he would have come up with another excuse. Who knows...) and so the attribution of the blame is a bit unfair. It really feels this is mostly all on Sayaka, though I guess Tomoki is either somewhat dense to her intentions or is not the type to want to blame a girl.

But speaking of the bathroom, there's someone using the bath... Yoshida in the shower has got to be one of the sexiest panels in the manga so far. So hot. Only on the second incident with Yoshida, and I feel like the intensity of Tomoki's lucky pervert events have increased exponentially. Pure Yoshida has the expression I'd expect of her. While that's going on, Komiyama has rushed to Tomoki's room, pretending to accidentally enter and of course surprising the heck out of Akari and Sayaka with their senpai appearing. It looks like she has changed clothes. I wonder if she didn't bother taking a bath, or took an extremely speedy one to get to the scene quicker. :D

I'm definitely extremely curious to see what the aftermath of these antics are. A really fun bunch has come together. And even though this is under weird circumstances, I think this marks the first time one of Tomoko's high school friends has visited Tomoko's home (mom getting to see it so nice too), and it's Yoshida of all people. At this point Yoshida should now be completely aware of Tomoki being a sibling of Tomoko, so will be interesting to see what that means with them going forward. Fitting Komiyama's antics have just backfired in a way by providing Tomoki with an accidental sexy encounter with a different girl... when he probably wasn't going to have any if she never came, since he was resisting the Twister pressure.

I definitely laughed my head off at several moments this chapter. One of the funniest ones yet. I have soft spot for Sayaka, so more of her cute side was great overall too.

Comment

• Volume 17 Bonus

It's a very cute surprise to see who is the owner of the Cunni-Dog. Ogino is informing Imae some of the details of her family dog Maro's visits to the school. Though of course not all of them. Having found out from Ogino that the dog has been called nicknames by some of the students... she soon overhears them which leaves her so adorably embarrassed to find out about Maro's actual reputation, and what some are implying about its owner's reputation from that. Little do they know it's someone who was among the most popular and respected students when she was there. Heh, I'm guessing Maro's strange behavior may have never been seen around the Imae home, but only as he started coming to Haramaku.

The biographical bit this time is about the writer attending a talk show for the novel anthology. I would really love to have an official English release of that, but I'm doubting it since we rarely even see franchise manga anthologies here (and never did in the case of Watamote) as it is. Poor Icco seemed to be feeling the pressure as they were doing the "Nico call".

It's neat how with the back cover's "Reality vs. Fantasy" segment this time, the fantasy is one that immediately became reality. The "reality" is actually more in comparison to the equivalent panel from the chapter, where Tomoko is under "Shizuku vision" as she says Shizuku's name.

No surprise we'll be at the study camp next volume, but the preview definitely has me really curious and anticipating it. Yen made an error in the room assignment panel where it says "Kaho" under Itou and "Komi-Friend" under Kaho, when of course it should be the other way around. Hopefully they fix it for the actual volume. I was really much later getting around to this volume than I wanted to, due to holiday COVID related weirdness over how RIght Stuf shipped their orders. For Vol. 18, I'll try not to tack something that comes out more than a month later, so I should not have to be waiting as long after its 06/22 release to get it (but of course random delays can strike at any time).

Comment

• Re: Chapter 160

How often is 襟 even a girl's name "Eri" anyway?
                        Maybe women whose given names are just '襟 Eri' are not many in Japan.
                        But certainly there are women whose names are '襟子 Eriko' to some extent in Japan, and a hypocorism / a diminutive form of the given name '襟子 Eriko' can be '襟ちゃん Eri-chan'.
                        But there is a factor which readers of WataMote should take (and the translator for Yen Press should have taken) into account.
                        It is the 'How does Ogino-sensei usually call the names of students?' matter.
                        Ogino-sensei usually calls the names of students in a laconic and 'hard' style where she just says only students' family names without any honorifics. Contrary to Ogino-sensei's usual style, 'Eri-chan' is a cute-fied and diminutive version of the given name of a girl which even has a cute-fying honorific. So when the translation 'Eri-chan' occurred to the translator for Yen Press, he/she should have thought, 'Oh, wait, this "Eri-chan" translation is a mistranslation.' So 'Eri-chan' seems to be wrong in the scene also stylistically.

...but thanks for breaking it down.
                        It's a pleasure.
                        Last edited by kijakusai; 04-28-2021, 07:47 AM.

Comment

• Re: Chapter 167

...like it's an impromptu Blu-ray extra commentary.
                          In the Japanese edition, in the part equivalent to 'Blu-ray', Mokotchi says, 'Enban.' The Japanese word 'enban' literally means 'disc'.
                          But as an argot word used by otaku, the word 'enban' particularly means video discs such as DVDs and Blu-ray Discs.
                          So Mokotchi's using the argot word 'enban' enhances the 'otaku talk' feel of the conversation between Mokotchi and Nemo (both of them are otaku) in the scene.

There are so many long black-haired girls around in otaku media that do kind of blur together at times...
                          Chapter 167 was carried on the official site in 2019.
                          2019 had Hitori Botchi no Marumaru Seikatsu.
                          The protagonist of Hitori Botchi no Marumaru Seikatsu is a long black-haired girl who has a communication disorder, and the main characters are five girls. The main characters also include a blond girl.
                          So the anime which Nemo and Mokotchi are watching may be modelled on Hitori Botchi no Marumaru Seikatsu.
                          The title 'Spring-Summer-Autumn-Winter Quintet' may be modelled on manga Spring-Summer-Autumn-Winter Octet and manga Kamisama to Quintet.

...a character from the eroge she made Nemo play once.
                          As you may know, the ero game in question is modelled on Taima-nin Asagi.

...but it's sweet she notices the "kinda satisfied look on her sleepy face".
                          Nemo was so kind that she didn't wake Mokotchi probably because Nemo knew Mokotchi was fatigued due to the 10-hour hard work. ^_^

...(fun memories of that show for me: I kind of want to rewatch that show).
                          I have heard that, like Nemoto-san, you, too, dig light-hearted slice-of-life anime.

Comment

In the Japanese edition, in the part equivalent to 'Blu-ray', Mokotchi says, 'Enban.' The Japanese word 'enban' literally means 'disc'.
                            Oh, she does say "disc" in the Yen Press translation. Just me implying since I assume it would likely be a Blu-ray if we're talking about otaku physical media in the late 2010s and on.

Chapter 167 was carried on the official site in 2019.
                            2019 had Hitori Botchi no Marumaru Seikatsu.
                            The protagonist of Hitori Botchi no Marumaru Seikatsu is a long black-haired girl who has a communication disorder, and the main characters are five girls. The main characters also include a blond girl.
                            So the anime which Nemo and Mokotchi are watching may be modelled on Hitori Botchi no Marumaru Seikatsu.
                            Ah, I didn't think of Hitori Bocchi, but I am familiar with it and watched the anime. Makes sense with the communication disorder connection, though the long dark-haired girl pictured on screen looks more like a stoic Homura-type that Bocchi. Though as far as blonde girl goes, that's an interesting connection too since she has the same seiyuu as Nemo, Kurose Yuuko.

Yen Press's translation notes seem to connect it to Wasteful Days of High School Girl, though honestly that series is about as much a "gag anime" as Asobi Asobase, so not sure it's meant to be the direct reference in contrast. Yen only mentions some character descriptions being similar, like an emotionless girl (assumedly Robo) and a half-Japanese blonde girl (assumedly Lily). But some of the stuff is so basic you could probably connect it to a lot of CGDCT in some way.

The title 'Spring-Summer-Autumn-Winter Quintet' may be modelled on manga Spring-Summer-Autumn-Winter Octet and manga Kamisama to Quintet.
                            The Yen Press translation notes did mention both of those. Though I didn't find anything on the former one. Do you know what the title is in kana/kanji?

As you may know, the ero game in question is modelled on Taima-nin Asagi.
                            Ah, right. I had forgotten, but have seen that series mentioned in connection to Watamote. Not familiar with any of the games themselves, but I have seen long dark haired girls from them. No surprise it comes to Tomoko's mind first since she foisted the game on Nemo before.

Nemo was so kind that she didn't wake Mokotchi probably because Nemo knew Mokotchi was fatigued due to the 10-hour hard work. ^_^
                            So sweet.
                            Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 05-01-2021, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Oh, she does say "disc" in the Yen Press translation...
                              Oh, so 'Blu-ray' is your wording. I see.
                              'Enban' is a plain word which just means a 'thin circular object' to 'ordinary' people, who are not otaku. So what a discus thrower throws, too, is 'enban'. In the standard Japanese translation of a 'flying saucer', the part equivalent to 'saucer' is 'enban'. (So the title of the pilot version of UFO Robot Grendizer is Uchū Enban Daisensō.)
                              But 'enban' as an otaku argot word particularly means 'optical discs'. So if two otaku are talking about anime music and they mention the word 'enban', it means 'CDs (which contain anime music)'.
                              Hmm...I don't know whether the English word 'disc' in the Yen Press edition, too, conveys the 'otaku is referring to video discs and is using an otaku argot expression' feel, though.

Though as far as blonde girl goes, that's an interesting connection too since she has the same seiyuu as Nemo, Kurose Yuuko.
                              It is like you, who are knowledgeable about anime, to pay attention also to the voice actress. ^_^
                              So, in the scene, Nemo is talking about a character whose voice is very similar to her own voice.

Yen Press's translation notes seem to connect it to Wasteful Days of High School Girl,
                              Thank you for taking trouble to inform me of the Yen Press edition's note.

Though I didn't find anything on the former one. Do you know what the title is in kana/kanji?
                              Spring-Summer-Autumn-Winter Octet is 春夏秋冬オクテット.
                              It seems that Spring-Summer-Autumn-Winter Octet is released mainly in electronic ways such as e-books and being posted on a website.
                              The author is Yamanashi Rei やまなしレイ.

This is the Amazon Japan web page about an e-book of Spring-Summer-Autumn-Winter Octet:
                              https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00K8ON546

As you may already know, Kamisama to Quintet 神様とクインテット is a manga that was serialised in Manga Time Kirara.
                              https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4832246321

Not familiar with any of the games themselves,
                              If you and Mokotchi ramble Akibahara and drop in a game shop, Mokotchi may try to foist a Taimanin Asagi game also on you. Akané would say to you, Nemo and Mokotchi, 'You three like Akibahara, don't you?' ^_^

So sweet.
                              A good thing about WataMote is that it often shows us likable facets of characters.

Comment

Hmm...I don't know whether the English word 'disc' in the Yen Press edition, too, conveys the 'otaku is referring to video discs and is using an otaku argot expression' feel, though.
                                In the English version, Tomoko says "Something like a disc-bonus voice actor audio commentary would be great." So at least in context definitely makes me think of an extra found on a video disc.

Spring-Summer-Autumn-Winter Octet is 春夏秋冬オクテット.
                                It seems that Spring-Summer-Autumn-Winter Octet is released mainly in electronic ways such as e-books and being posted on a website.
                                The author is Yamanashi Rei やまなしレイ.
                                Ah, interesting. It looks like a self-published work, so I guess that was why it was harder to find anything on it in English. It also doesn't look like the kind of Kirara-type thing Nemo would be interested in like the other one does. But I guess with the similarity of titles (with "quintet" and "octet" both denoting groups of certain numbers of people, 5 and 8 respectively), it was just an idea to parody the title.

If you and Mokotchi ramble Akibahara and drop in a game shop, Mokotchi may try to foist a Taimanin Asagi game also on you. Akané would say to you, Nemo and Mokotchi, 'You three like Akibahara, don't you?' ^_^
                                Hah! I do want to try out more visual novels at some point. Not gotten to one that is 18+ yet, though the Taimanin series doesn't really look like my cup of tea. Mokocchi seems interested in stuff that's more hardcore than I probably would care for.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X