Widgets Magazine

No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapter 141

It's neat to see Tomoko is seemingly concerned about studying now. With some of the universities her friends are interested in, she knows she's really going to need to do it. Though of course it's hard for Tomoko to find the motivation. And all of the sudden, she gets an unexpected visitor... Kii-chan showing up in the creepiest way possible as is her fashion.

Kii normally would have been expected to come quite a while from now, with her only coming around during summer and winter usually, but Kii's excuse for being here now is that she think Tomoko will be too busy studying next time she comes around. Kii still has the mistaken impression from last time that Tomoko is a furry, and so a reference to the explosively popular animal-themed Kemono Friends is brought up. Tomoko missed the craze and isn't quite her type of show anyway. That misunderstanding seems like it's still going to swirl around for a bit.

I did wonder what Kii was going to think about Tomoko's wider social circle if she got to know it, and indeed she stumbles across that point here. Before that, being quite curious about her cousin's changed demeanor and how she even had a schedule for things like college visits at all when she wasn't the type before. Cute how it's the Mouseyland visit photos that gets her to see, and what she's wondering about with the various unknown-to-her people pictured. Yoshida is just as prone to being stereotyped a particular way by Kii as she is by Tomoko, with Kii immediately wondering if the rap thing brought up earlier was her influence. And it doesn't really seem to be heavily implied just which two people Kii is wondering about next after that. Perhaps she's curious a little bit on all of them anyway.

Not able to contain her curiosity, Kii presses on Tomoko to go visit her school. Tomoko, who knows that Kii who lives quite a ways away would have to be staying with her family to attend, is quite terrified of the thought of Kii potentially going to her school. When Kii mentions that she would have liked to have gone to school with her, Tomoko is so glad of the fact she was born too soon to have that happen.

Tomoko doesn't think ahead on things like needing permission to bring a visitor around. That's so like her, but thankfully it's the friendly Ogino-sensei they run into. It couldn't be a more awkward pairing for Tomoko, with Ogino painting Tomoko so ridiculously positively to raise Kii's crazy suspicious eyes at it. But Tomoko notes Kii as having a high communication ability to hide her crazy side, when they run into Itou and they get to talking rather mundanely about brass club stuff. Itou had talked about Komi as if Tomoko cared all that much about her being around.

But Tomoko does go to Komi after all: can't miss an opportunity to chastise her about photographing her brother. I liked that Akari is there with her. Can't get enough of that duo. With all the weirdos around, it feels more like an "away" game than a home one for Tomoki. Another hilarious perverted moment from Komi as she's just now finding out the fact Tomoki has a female cousin. Being as obsessed as she is, she immediately goes right to the possibility of them being able to "get close legally". To me, it really shows how much of an otaku she is to jump right to that thought, kind of like how Tomoya in Saekano reacts to finding Megumi has a male cousin.

It's amusing how this has suddenly gotten to be about another one of Tomoki's soccer matches. And it continues in another chapter. Interesting how Kii had gotten curious about the Tomoko/Komiyama dynamic too and thinks that they might even be close friends despite not being in photos together.

Comment

• Chapter 142

Interesting to see Tomoko note that this is the first time she's actually seen one of her brother's matches. It kind of feels like she has before, but it was rather that chapter where Tomoki is thinking about her in the middle of a match. And Tomoko is also quick to note her brother's apparent social standing with the girls around watching the game. And she notices someone she actually knows among them.

Turns out Shizuku is actually here the see the match of the boyfriend who failed the entrance exam. And now that boyfriend seems to be the eternally benched type. The aura of failure around him is even bigger, and the fun part turns out being that Shizuku seems rather gleeful about that aspect of him. Poor Shizuku yet again, she's unwittingly a "natural demon" which Tomoko thinks might be why she can't make friends. And upon being enthusiastic about hearing about Tomoko's brother playing and seemingly being a star player, Shizuku opens herself up to photo attack from Komiyama. Komi must be taking pictures of potential "threats" to Tomoki. And I feel bad for Shizuku getting the "I'm hated by girls" feeling yet again. When it comes to Komiyama, though, Tomoko can actually honestly reassure Shizuku. Heh. Poor Akari too, she feels like she's being lumped into Komi's more out-there antics again.

When they're out to going around some more, Shizuku is fine abandoning her not-playing boyfriend to go visit around with Tomoko and Kii. Funny how Kii confuses Shizuku by referencing Tomoko's idolation by grade school kids (when she cheated at card games). And the next person they come across is Yoshida playing with a dog that's been loitering around school. As to why she's even there... picking up Rena after she's been suspended for riding a motorcycle to school. For Yoshida and co. being the delinquent bunch in school, it actually feels like this is the first real "getting in trouble with the authorities" kind of thing we've heard about them. The dog's face really kind of resembles Tomoko, and it turns out they are on some kind of wavelength, when Tomoko gives the dog the "wiener pose" command and then the dog makes it look like something right out of a futa doujin.

Yoshida is not having that, and true to from, dishes out violence even to a dog. This is yet another one of those times where I actually feel a little bad for Tomoko getting caught up in it when she doesn't feel she's much at fault. With Kii coming in and being mad at the animal abuse (and really.... even if Yoshida is "disciplining" this dog, it has a collar and is someone else's: the actual owners might not appreciate that...), Tomoko gets some deja vu over how this is like when Okada came in defensively for Tomoko before being aware of what she actually did. Though poor Tomoko, there's no way she was going to explain this in her usual way of explaining things without getting hit by Yoshida again. It's fun how Yoshida's other friend, now finally introduced by name as Anna, see the antics going down and recognizes it as part of being a "bud" of Yoshida. I'm guessing she's seen this thing all the time before with Rena. Haha. Tomoko gets invited by Anna to go out to eat. Interesting to see how that will go. Shizuku if frustrated at being co-opted as a lunch partner yet again, as she's had to deal with ever since she got re-introduced to Tomoko at high school.

After being done with school, Tomoko takes Kii out to the candy store they used to visit, and we get to did into a little of what Kii and Tomoko are feeling over how things have changed. Tomoko seems to have a much more mature attitude than when she lorded over the kids at card games at the store. It's interesting to see the Aikatsu-playing girls observation she made and how it got her to thinking a bit about herself. I'm so intrigued by the lonely Aikatsu fun middle schooler than I kind of wonder if she'll ever come up again. On Kii's end, it seems like she's feeling a bit sensitive now to the fact Tomoko avoids her due to her crazy side, more so with the realization that she has a somewhat wider social circle and is not one of the very few people who even hang around her anyway. Kii still idealizes the possibility of being in school the same time as Tomoko, and even though she won't make high school, she mentions the possibility of studying hard for three years and going to the same university. Tomoko has found yet another impetus to study in making sure she doesn't have to take an in-between year and let Kii catch up to her...

Well, on one point Kii feels comfortable, saying "Your friends can't go the candy store with you or sleep over, right?", it does get me to thinking. Kii is right in that, even though Tomoko has gotten to comfortable among a few friends at school, there's a certain point of closeness among friends we'd never expect Tomoko to try to breech herself. Though with her going out clothes shopping with Yuri, and having gone with Nemo and Okada to Akihabara, it feels like she is getting in some ways closer to that point. With the way Yuri is always in a "proving my best friend credentials" mindset, I could see her wanting to force the point of coming to visit Tomoko at home if she ever learned that seemingly Yuu and Komi did that kind of thing at least once in middle school. And Tomoko has nerdsphere stuff she could share with Nemo (to have Nemo deride it, most likely ). It may never happen as Kii thinks, but with the way things have gone, it's kind of a nice thing to wonder about, if they ever got to the point of visiting houses. I really do kind of wonder what many of the girls' home lives are like.

Comment

• Volume 14 Bonus

The first bonus comic is an extra to Chapter 135, showing when Katou was applying the makeup on Tomoko. No surprise with the way Tomoko thinks about the gorgeous Katou, that it feels like such a sexual experience to Tomoko. Something more for Ucchi to be "grossed" out about as she's spying on what Tomoko's doing yet again.

The addition to Chapter 140 makes it all the more heartwarming. So Imae is an student at Aogaku. It's sweet how Imae seems to be relieved seeing Tomoko apparently surrounded by friends. Though I'm curious about the "onee-chan" there. Is she referring to Tomoko, and why that? Would be nice if Tomoko really does get into Aogaku as she's thinking about, and fated to be around Imae again.

The self comic from the manga authors focusing on their own open campus visit. Neat to see they took a trip for research as they did with Kyoto. Tomoko's fascination with things like a light novel course appear to be inspired the writer himself similarly fascinated. They thought something funny might happen to use as a punchline, but this visit turned out to be surprisingly normal.

The "Reality vs. Fantasy" segment on the back actually comes back to Tomoko this time. But with the results of Katou's makeover, I guess it had to. Fun to see what the fantasy looked like. Never did get to see what Tomoko's reaction to seeing herself in the mirror that chapter was, but that was bound to be pretty interesting...

Comment

• Re: Volume 14 Bonus

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
          it feels like such a sexual experience to Tomoko.
          In the Japanese edition, in the final panel of the 1st bonus manga, Mokotchi thinks up a pun on 'make(-up)' (the pronunciation is /meik/) and 'me-iku' ('me' means 'eye', and 'iku' is a vulgar word which means 'to achieve orgasm').

Though I'm curious about the "onee-chan" there. Is she referring to Tomoko, and why that?
          Hmm...'onee-chan' in the 2nd bonus manga? You are referring to the words by Imae-san in the final panel?
          In the Japanese edition, the words by Imae in the final panel is 'Matteru-ne, Tomoko-chan.' ('I wait for you, Tomoko-chan.')
          The 'Tomoko' part is written in kanji, the '-chan' part is written in hirgana, and the kanji 'Tomoko' have furigana.
          So Imae-san has said, 'Tomoko-chan.' Not 'onee-chan.'
          Perhaps a mistranslation by the translator for Yen Press?

Would be nice if Tomoko really does get into Aogaku as she's thinking about, and fated to be around Imae again.
          Imae-san will be glad if Mokotchi attends Aogaku.

The self comic from the manga authors
          The Yen Press edition may have a note on this, but in the postscript manga, the scriptwriter has mentioned a university in Kyoto at which students study manga. Probably it is Kyoto Seika University, which has the faculty of manga. In conjunction with Kyoto City, Kyoto Seika University has also established the Kyoto International Manga Museum.

But with the results of Katou's makeover,
          Like in Chapter 135, Nemo tries not to laugh, and her facial expression is funny.

Never did get to see what Tomoko's reaction to seeing herself in the mirror that chapter was...
          That's a good observation. Yeah, I wonder what Mokotchi thought of her makeup which had been done by Kato-san.

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
            In the Japanese edition, in the final panel of the 1st bonus manga, Mokotchi thinks up a pun on 'make(-up)' (the pronunciation is /meik/) and 'me-iku' ('me' means 'eye', and 'iku' is a vulgar word which means 'to achieve orgasm').
            They actually have a translation note on that point, which is great.

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
            Hmm...'onee-chan' in the 2nd bonus manga? You are referring to the words by Imae-san in the final panel?
            In the Japanese edition, the words by Imae in the final panel is 'Matteru-ne, Tomoko-chan.' ('I wait for you, Tomoko-chan.')
            The 'Tomoko' part is written in kanji, the '-chan' part is written in hirgana, and the kanji 'Tomoko' have furigana.
            So Imae-san has said, 'Tomoko-chan.' Not 'onee-chan.'
            Perhaps a mistranslation by the translator for Yen Press?
            Yes, that is what I'm referring to, and it looks like Yen Press made a huge mistake for reasons I cannot fathom. I was wondering what was up since it makes absolutely no sense for Imae to call Tomoko "onee-chan". Got me for a second wondering if Tomoko was thinking about Imae, but I wouldn't think she would refer to her as "onee-chan" and there's not a definite indication that Tomoko even notices Imae at that point (only that Imae notices Tomoko)

Comment

They actually have a translation note on that point, which is great.
              Oh, Yen Press edition's translation notes are quite useful to English-speaking readers.

Yes, that is what I'm referring to, and it looks like Yen Press made a huge mistake for reasons I cannot fathom. I was wondering what was up since it makes absolutely no sense for Imae to call Tomoko "onee-chan". Got me for a second wondering if Tomoko was thinking about Imae, but I wouldn't think she would refer to her as "onee-chan" and there's not a definite indication that Tomoko even notices Imae at that point (only that Imae notices Tomoko)
              The kanji 'Tomoko' are not difficult kanji, and those kanji even have furigana 'tomoko' to help readers to read them. And of course the translator of WataMote is expected to know the name of the heroine. So, as you have said, the reason why the translator for Yen Press erroneously wrote 'onee-chan' instead of 'Tomoko-chan' is fathomless.

Comment

• Chapter 143

It's nice to have a slice-of-life chapter focusing on the Moko, Komi, and Yuu trio, this time with them holding a study party. Tomoko is not really sure how their study party should go. It's quite a nice, laid back affair with this group, though Yuu shares a bit of what it's been like with her friends at a diner. Her "new friends from high school" is a side I've not seen focused on too much and kind of curious about. The flashback here is one of the rare times we see them depicted, the other notable time I remember being when Yuu showed up to Tomoko's culture festival.

Actually, on that note, there's actually quite a few neat callbacks to very early chapters here, like Yuu bringing cakes from her uncle's shop that she worked for once and showed Tomoko, and Tomoko showing the cat she once philosophized at the stars with on a bench. It's kind of neat to see a new positive spin to some early things that once were symbolic of Tomoko's awkwardness and loneliness. Reflective of the growth and changes that have happened since then.

It turns out the one who can be the most weird and distracting in study situations is not Tomoko, but actually Komiyama. Komi seems to be quite the restless studier, who has counted sometimes on Skype sessions with her friend Itou to minimize the distractions. But then Komi sometimes forgets she's not alone and Itou hears a bit of Komi's perverted fantasies about Tomoki being mumbled out. Even when she supposedly has the trio here right in front of her, it seems she struggles to be held in check, checking baseball stuff on her phone and even having to interrupt to turn on the baseball game for a moment. Tomoko is up for taking a break for a game as you'd expect of her, but it seems like a rather surprisingly reasonably paced interruption from here, compared to what Komi does. And of course, when Tomoki gets home, Komi is never going to be focused. Tomoko knows to end it there.

Yuu being so interested in the friends both Tomoko and Komi have made is such a sweet part of this chapter. It's interesting how Yuu's curiosity about the unfamiliar names of a Nemo-san and a Katou-san on Tomoko's calendar has her going to Komiyama to ask just who those people are. Yuu has for a long time gotten used to Tomoko being kind of evasive about the kind of thing. This just makes it all the sweeter later when Tomoko really surprises Yuu by actually talking about some thing she's gotten into her friends. Though it's all brought on by the cat reminding her of the dog punished by Yoshida, and so the odd relationship of harassment and retaliation that both her and Komiyama has experienced is brought up. Always has to be something weird for Tomoko to go on freely, but Tomoko get to share some of the normality with her friends briefly to assuage Yuu who seemed a bit worried about potential bullying.

Also sweet in how Yuu wants to join Komi and Itou's type of studying session after hearing about it earlier. It's interesting to see Yuu with those two who haven't mixed with the others as much as Tomoko's circle has (something that probably gives Yuu the idea in the first place, which Komi jokes about her being chose for her friendlessness). Itou's given name of Hikari is now known as she introduces herself to Yuu. Yuu is so much more comfortable immediately calling friends of friends by their given names right away, even as the longtime friends themselves don't do it with each other yet. Komi and Itou is an interesting relationship for sure, now that it's become quite apparent (with the Yoshida encounter) she's had some experience with Komi's cringey moments to this point. Even with two friends over Skype now, Komi still lets them out.
                Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 03-27-2020, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• Chapter 144

Everyone's now getting back to school after Golden Week. It's interesting to see Ucchi and Yuri bump into each other and try to talk to each other. Ucchi is perhaps trying to move into the circle a way. Yuri tries to refer to Tomoko by given name in conversation with Ucchi (perhaps trying to one up someone in being friends with Tomoko yet again) until they're both immediately distracted by seeing the person herself. It's funny how those two get to feel even more awkward than Tomoko this chapter. Ucchi is actually getting to say things to Tomoko now, but the most inconsequential stuff like saying the sky is pretty, or when Tomoko talks about reading Jump manga, Ucchi can only seemingly respond with the most known and popular One Piece. Meanwhile Yuri is trying to get the opportunity to reciprocate Tomoko calling her by her given name, but is constantly foiled by Tomoko being engaged in other conversations.

First up for Tomoko back at class is Nemo who immediately asks her how her break went. Tomoko is really surprised to learn that Nemo actually goes to lessons related to her voice acting goal. And that reminds Tomoko to ask Nemo if she tried out that eroge she recommended. Very amusing to see how Nemo acts in a "no big deal" fashion in front of Tomoko as we see the flashback panel of her actually trying the game and the most hilarious embarrassed face to show she really wasn't taking it as toughly as she said. And it's cute to see the things around her room like the stickers on her laptop and some of the Disneyland hood sitting over on her dresser. But Nemo acting tough doesn't give her the victory she wants, as Tomoko just acts like she's a perv for being OK with it, and mentioning she didn't actually play it herself when Nemo tries to portray her as one. Yet more hilarious faces from Nemo. They're the best this time.

Just when that's over and Yuri tries to talk again, Kiyota comes over for the classroom seat change lottery. Already that time, and what happens for that sure feels even more discouraging for poor Yuri. She's placed far away from Tomoko and close by Minami, who's outright mean to her, and Nemo, perhaps her biggest rival in being friends with Tomoko. Yuri always brushes off such things publicly, but the perceptive Nemo does ask if she's lonely being so far separated from her usual three friends. Nemo may be teasing a bit, but I do think she's showing some genuine concern for Yuri not having anyone to talk to close. Tomoko herself is place near the front of the class surrounded on all sides by chatty characters. It definitely has a very similar vibe to the nightmare scenario seat placement that happened before her first year school festival. And I like how that scene is soon called out too, with Tomoko realizing that, even though she's still not really comfortable with this situation, she can "stand it" now. When Kiyota talks about the fact his friend Wada was also reading Jump like Tomoko was, Tomoko gets the rare chance to strike a conversation with a guy about manga. Heh, and funny how next page we see Yuri seemingly reacting pretty intensely to that scene from afar. Yuri is foiled by Mako trying to talk to her as she gets up by Minami being tactless again. And on side note, also amusing to see Yoshida and her seat placement mentioned a few times, but no Yoshida appearing even in the place where she's supposed to go. Heh, still skipping unnecessary class time like a true delinquent.

Though despite the hard times for Yuri, it does look like the three are back to forming their lunch desks despite being apart. Though just as Yuri again is probably eyeing her chance to say Tomoko's given name, we have the sociable three of Nemo, Okada, and Katou coming to join their lunch table now. Nemo seems to be quite curious about Tomoko getting to talk to Wada-kun too. Tomoko does reflect herself on how this is the first time she's talk with a boy other than her brother in a long while. But always putting stuff in her pop culture terms, she feels like Wada is a shota and so maybe a type that doesn't cause her to be flustered. She further goes on to think a "shrimp" and a shota don't make a good match, since of course shota are often paired with the oneesans. It's interesting to see the mention of Tomoko's diminutive stature as it's something that doesn't seem to come up much as apparent as it is. It feels like her shortness has gotten even more apparent when she's actually interacting with people more now and so we get to see the height differences more often.

The other thing they're all interested in was how the college visits went, where Tomoko gets to telling them all about her preference for Aogaku and some of the things she was thinking about regarding it back at her visit. That includes the thing about Nemo perhaps finding the theatrical department to be relevant to her interests. But Yuri doesn't take it lightly that Tomoko isn't applying to the university they visited, so intense about it that she finally spits out Tomoko's given name asking her about it. Tomoko mentions her reasons why she didn't want to go to Chiba West, though in her appeal to get Yuri to come she doesn't really mention the things she thought Yuri would like about Aogaku (though fittingly perhaps too awkward for Tomoko to think to bring up at the moment). The biggest faux pas on Tomoko's part there though was she meekly reverted to using Tamura's family name. Yuri has quite the shocked expression, turns down Tomoko's suggestion to come to Aogaku, and walks off.

With that situation, Nemo really is the sweetest with her wanting to set things right, despite not getting the true reason Yuri was upset. Even more cute how Tomoko can talk about Nemo drawing inspiration from her favorite kind of anime. But Tomoko is right in how this feels like a romantic anime cliche, with her having to chase down Yuri to tell what she's really feeling. Tomoko thinks about how she might even catch her while panting as the cliches go, but turns out Yuri really hasn't gone that far. And Tomoko isn't really thinking about the real reason Yuri was upset, still hung up on it probably being the college thing. But right there Tomoko is naturally calling her Yuri-chan and so things are coming back around for her. Yuri's not actually admitting what it was to her. Tomoko then crudely asking about whether she uses pads or tampons since she thinks Yuri's on her period. Yuri surprises Tomoko in getting violent with her in a way she didn't expect of the "gloomy"girl and more like the "punk". But in calling out Tomoko as stupid this time, she again calls her by name but with the most unusual, wonderful smile at the same time. I think getting hit by the double whammy of her given name again with the most unusual (to this point) intimate kind of remark got her spirits up in an odd way that works well for those two. And Tomoko does actually get to taking note of being called by her given name now, feeling that it's embarrasing that she did it in front of others at lunch. Yuri isn't taking that, though, trying to shoot down Tomoko's concern with how she thinks the "Nemo" and "Kuro" nickname they have going is even more embarassing. It's such a cute, fun way to end a chapter with some interesting character developments for Yuri, not only in relation to Tomoko but even in relation to Nemo a little bit too.

Comment

• Special Chapter 8

Oh neat, this is the special chapter Nemo got for the winning the popularity poll. It's a very interesting look at her backstory. I was curious what the supposed "otaku" middle school Nemo was like, and this answers a lot of things over how sensitive she had been about keeping her otaku side secret.

I like that it feels a little atypical in that regard. It's not really that Nemo was asocial. She seem to got to making friends of various cliches in addition to her very geeky friends. Even got a guy that lent her Anohana eventually interested in her romantically. Here we see Nemo isn't the type to be interested in romance either, also in terms of her anime tastes. But Tomoko really wouldn't want to hear that bit. But the main friction with Nemo didn't really seem the "popular" girls or anything like that, but her own geeky friends who saw Nemo as a "normal" girl and didn't quite get to fully sharing in their hobbies with her. When they were talked about how intense they were into their hobbies, they kind of felt like Nemo was a part of it too, much to Nemo's disappointment in just wanting to be friends with everyone. The fujoshi Nemo was friends with seemed to have a high degree of shame about their hobbies, in not wanting to include Nemo, such a stark contrast with Tomoko who rather shameless when it comes to the things she's into. It's a good look at part of the way Tomoko appeals to her.

And all of the backstory apparently came from Nemo dreaming as she attempted to sleep outside without a care after seeing Yoshida do it. Though it's the kind of thing inspired by her slice of life ideal that she's always wanted to do, and after changing from meeting Tomoko, is uninhibited in doing it. Though unknowingly she's leaving herself open for Tomoko to look at her panties while she sleeps. Was an amusing bit with Tomoko and Aa-chan coming to wake her up and Nemo pretending to still be asleep at first. Aa-chan really is too sweet, not giving Tomoko the task of waking Yoshida up. We know how that goes. Though in the end, Tomoko does ends up getting it physically when she pushes the pervy angle of her view far further than you would see in any slice-of-life anime. Nemo may feel like her slice-of-life anime is reaching its best cour (those bits are sweet), but she does seem to realize the reality in the end is a bit more like Tomoko as a yuri romantic comedy protagonist, getting abused from all sides for her perverted transgressions. Heh and she seems get it rather painfully with Nemo's finger right in her eye (the visual there was amusing). Tomoko puts she is not as "practiced in DV" as Yoshida and Yuri are this point. Haha.

Awesome stuff overall, and though they didn't win the poll that brought about this particular special, I hope for some nice character focus chapters of some of the other girls too.

Comment

• Chapter 145

Back to a chapter of school life shorts. Always nice to get a look at even a few segments detached from Tomoko and on some of the side characters.

I was wondering what exactly was up with Tomoko's eye at first. Then when it came to be mentioned a little latter I felt silly for forgetting it was because Nemo accidentally went right at that eye in her violent reaction to being perved on. Despite not being officially numbered, it's fun to have the special chapter followed up on in one of the main ones in a way.

And speaking of perving, the first part is Tomoko being put in an awkward situation of bumping into Ucchi's friend Miya-chan on the train, with both of them grappling with how to react given that they are part-acquaintances due to how much Ucchi seems to want to hang around Tomoko. Miya-chan seems to be type like Ucchi was originally, in wanting to ignore her and being kind of put off by her when she come across her. Though with how much Ucchi obsesses, it seems the friend group of Ucchi does seem to realize they have some sort of connection. And the awkwardness of the situation is only amplified with Ucchi happens to spot them in the most compromising-looking position. Priceless reaction: you know it's a shock when we can kind of see Ucchi's full eyes.

And the reminder of the eye thing came with Katou getting inquisitive about it, as she likes doing. Despite Nemo asking it of Tomoko to gloss over it, and hoping Tomoko's quiet nature will keep her from divulging anyway, it does in the end look like Katou finds out the reason when Nemo is able to overhear her saying "vagina" from a distance. Hah. I do like the touch of how Nemo is able to eavesdrop on Katou but it's hard from Tomoko due to her relative volume. There's no avoiding Katou's charms for Tomoko, though, particularly after she's gotten to the point where Katou is disappointed when Tomoko's guarded or hiding thing from her.

Tomoki gets his next encounter with the big nebulous weird circle of friends when he comes across Itou and with her is still trying to figure out what kind of person Komiyama is. With Itou apologizing for Komi weirdness at first, Tomoki thinks she might actually be the rare decent one. But upon asking his question... Itou gets exceedingly detailed and wordy about Komi's oddities. It's interesting the vibe that's really gotten more established lately, with her seeming to see herself as the one to understand and look out for Komi's various social abnormalities. But of course with as far as she goes here, Tomoki can't help but now see Itou herself as yet another "bad news" oddball too.

I love we get some more of Sayaka here. Haven't seen her in a while, and I've kind of missed her antics. Another one who takes looking out for her friend to rather weird lengths, trying to push her to more assertively pursue Tomoki and looking out for every little girl and incident he's involved with. Poor Akari prefers to keep things on the down low, yet she keeps being loud in public with onlookers. Akari is actually pushed to the point of looking uncharacteristically angry at her this time.

Yet another fun return of a minor character when Minami has to figure out someone to eat lunch with, since Mako is gone (sweet picnic with Yoshida, Tomoko, and Yuri apparently) and doesn't want to be made fun of having to leave the class to eat. And it turns out she aims for the girl who has a boyfriend and once made Tomoko very sick with her food, this girl now having the name "Mike". Minami brings her own food and so seems to be OK at first, aside from feeling awkward at the boyfriend actually being there and having to sit by the lovey dovey atmosphere. But eventually Minami gets offered a taste and we see the unfortunate results in the bathroom where she's in a hurry to throw it up so she get to trash talking about Mike with her friends. I do wonder how much Mike knows about terrible her food is, or how she'll react to finding out if she doesn't. Seeing the boyfriend in person now, we now know he puts up a completely unambiguously happy front at being fed by her, so he's either gotten used to it or just continues to endure (poor guy...)

While Tomoko used to do her own things around Yuri without being too concerned about it, when she's hooked on her manga app now and ignoring Yuri as a result, Tomoko seems to feel a little guilty about it. She gets Yuri to wait a bit before she leaves, and installs the app on her phone so that Tomoko won't be standing around being the only one reading. Yuri looks like she's intrigued and getting into it, though Tomoko constantly teases on how sexy the manga she likes are. Nemo earlier not knowing just what exactly Yuri hit Tomoko for, gets to witness it first hand this time, and now Nemo is thinking about how she should do it.

Comment

• Chapter 146

The usual routine of Tomoko and friends going home from school is disrupted by unexpected rain, without them having brought umbrellas. An amusing coincidence that it happened to be raining outside for me while reading this. While Yuri is apparently coming over to Tomoko to try and do something just as the rain starts, Katou is already taking the initiative with Tomoko and proposing they kill time studying to wait out the rain.

Tomoko notes she hasn't used the self-study room outside of class. It's pretty crowded due to midterms approaching, and some rather studious-looking types are in the single seats. Tomoko and friends end up having to take some of those single seats rather than all being together on a table since the latter are occupied. And speaking of studious types, Tomoko is surprised that what Katou is listening to on her headphones (after having asked for Tomoko's headphones: typical perverted thoughts from Tomoko on having sharing things and having Katou's ear buds in her ear) is actual serious study material. It doesn't seem to fit Katou's image for Tomoko that she's studious, and Katou responds to hearing that from Tomoko rather cutely that she's found Tomoko was different from her initial impression too. It's fitting for the good-natured Katou to have thought of Tomoko originally as "diligent, quiet, and obedient", though despite the real Tomoko feeling like quite a negative change from those qualities, she's been happy to learn who she is. So sweet... Someone nearby's not happy with the flirting, though. Always fun to get completely random Uchi interjections.

And before she swapped headphones with Katou, Tomoko sees Yuri putting on hers as we've often seen her when she's by herself with nothing to do. Tomoko initially thinks about her listening to music again but actually realizes she's never actually asked just exactly what she's listening to. It's definitely a rather interesting mystery to me, too. Tomoko starts thinking of unusual things she could be listening to like Buddhist chants or sandstorm sounds, the thoughts of which are scary to her. I like how Tomoko has gotten so curious about her, though, when it used to be she hung around without much thought about it.

As they're looking outside to see how the rain is (still hasn't let up), Katou gets to probing Mako and Yuri on her school choices. It's neat to see how she's trying to connect with them too. Mako is aiming for Chiba West. Even though she denied wanting to go to a private school, Katou hadn't specifically heard from Yuri that she was planning on going to Chiba West. But now it looks like Yuri is really following after Tomoko after all and has changed to aiming for Aogaku. With how she was acting in the previous chapter, Yuri feels really kind of low-key tsundere about the thing. Upon hearing about Mako, Katou suggests her friend Kaho can join up with them next time they study since she's also aiming for Chiba West. Tomoko and Yuri seem confused about who "Kaho" is, but the more personable Mako has the image of her in her mind. They really have a similar vibe to them, both being friendly freckled girls.

Tomoko sees the soccer team practicing on the way back inside, not realizing they even practiced on rainy days too. Tomoki's friend takes note of a "total babe" in looking back at Tomoko's group. Well, quite obvious who that is. As much as Katou seems to get Tomoko's hormones fired up (particularly so later in this chapter being offered a lap pillow yet again), we actually haven't had much note of guys being attracted to her, but with how gorgeous she is, not a big surprise at all. Tomoki just doesn't seem to care about girls in general much, retorting indirectly about his sister rather that commenting on what the guy obviously meant. Back with Tomoko's group, Yuri flaunts the fact that she knew that was Tomoko's brother. Tomoko so matter of factly says "Yeah. It was..." before it suddenly strikes her how Yuri even knows this, since Tomoko never knew about the time Tomoki came by her class.

Katou sweetly offer Tomoko a lap pillow as she notices Tomoko seems too tired to study. Nice to get a little insight on why Katou feels like taking care of and "pampering" Tomoko, in that she doesn't have younger brothers and sisters like Tomoko to do that with. Of course Tomoko can't really completely relax being in a situation like that. She's still a little self conscious of the fact she drooled on Katou the last time on the way back from Mouseyland.

This really has such a similar vibe to chapter 109 when they were snowed in at school in the library. Tomoko realizes she's gotten to appreciate things like this a lot. Doesn't want May to end and midterms so quickly, when really she had thought just the opposite in her previous years when she wanted to be done with school quickly. It's kind of fitting chapter to link back to in my mind, since that's around when Katou's sweet interactions with Tomoko were really just beginning, and by now they've actually gotten to know each other a little bit.

The rain never did stop, so they had to fall back on their plan to borrow teacher's umbrellas. Yuri remarks how it was a waste of time in the end. Katou of course replies that she doesn't think that at all, having gotten to learn more about her friends with their college choices and Tomoko having a brother. I do wonder if Yuri is again being low-key tsundere in blurting that anyway, too, and liked the more time hanging around. Maybe she's a bit jealous of how much Katou is able to interact with Tomoko too though. Katou's remarks gets Tomoko in her reflective state too, thinking about all of the things she's gotten to learn from this experience. But when Yuri thinks Tomoko might be thinking about something stupid... well, of course she's doing that too. Typical Tomoko, perving on her friends. After getting a view of Nemo's panties, she apparently got one of Yuri's and Mako's too from having her head under the table on Katou's lap. Speaking of that bit, it was also amusing how Ucchi completely lost sight of Tomoko do to her being down her. Ignorance is bliss for her, since she wouldn't have taken that well...

Comment

• Chapter 147

The front image of chapter definitely conveys a mood of exam time, with Tomoko and friends now in the midst of their midterms. It's interesting to see Tomoko's old first year homeroom teacher there as the apparent test proctor. Tomoko tells Katou she's done better than she thought on this first batch because she studied more than usual. Tomoko thinks about how she's been fitting in with the mood around her, with the nice image there of her cheery friends (well, I guess as cheery as Yuri can look. Hehe) walking home from school. It's pretty much the peak Nemo ideal right there. Though it seems thinking about it now, Tomoko wants to get away from it a bit and have some time goofing off alone as she used to.

It's neat to see some of Tomoko's old haunts again, The Book-Of, WcDonalds, and then eventually the arcade. Tomoko noticeably handles ordering for herself much better than her nervous wreck of a self coming at the beginning of high school. She manages to get a drink with her meal this time. Tomoko thinks that Haramaku students will probably not be there in the middle of test time, but she does see the iinchou from her previous year of her school (apparently not actually slacking off, since we see her and friends seemingly have books out), who appears to glance at Tomoko but ignore her. Tomoko thinks how even though she's had people being nice to her, most of them used to have that kind of reaction to her. I think she's always had some people who could be nice to her (Nemo's group for one thing was always there from the start, and she had other random people like Kiyota she encountered), but Tomoko's pessimistic overgeneralizations and awkwardness kept her from moving forward anywhere. It had to take a while for it to really happen for her, so nice thinking back on it, how it has come to pass.

At the arcade, Tomoko ends up seeing the girl she dubs as "Emoji Mark II" (and she really has even more emoji of a face than Ucchi does), the one who took her place in the cavalry battle at sports festival. She is apparently quite the gaming enthusiast, playing a "conspicuous rhythm game all alone during exam time" and then later seeming to draw attention around her for her impressive winning streak in the next arcade game she plays. But it turns out Tomoko isn't going to have her time alone as she comes across people she knows who eventually spot her as they're at a table... the punk trio. Unsurprising to Tomoko since it fits the stereotype of being a slacker.

Anna, who eventually ropes in the emoji girl (who introduces herself as Futaki Shiki, a name that seemingly amazes Tomoko) to coming over to them after hearing from Yoshida that she's in their class, seems to be the only particularly personable outgoing type out of this bunch. It's amusing how she's casually dismissive (not in a particularly bad way) of them all being idiots and slackers. Though it seems she enjoys the company of people not taking it seriously as other people around her are tense about exams. Since she's a little unlike her perhaps more "punk"-ish friends, I am kind of interested how that trio got to knowing each other. Rena seems to think she can get by slacking off because she's going to a trade school and only needs to graduate. It leads me to quite curious about just what Yoshida's aspirations are and her reasons for not caring about school performance, since she's seemingly completely silent on anything in that regard here.

Tomoko's weird sense of pride seems to take a hit when she finds out that Shiki and Yoshida actually seem to rank better in class than her despite apparently slacking off. Shiki is an oddball, outright saying she wants to go to school being a gamer. Tomoko seems to enjoy games but it's really out there for her to see someone uninhibitedly making a pro goal out of it. The game talk eventually leads them to Rena wanting to play mahjong, which they do. Despite Shiki's general overachievance at games to this point, she comes last and notes she's not good at games of chance. She's and oddball but one I'm a bit curious to see some more of now.

Tomoko thinks that even though she had planned to be by herself, she had fun with the "punks". Yoshida notices she's not been with the usual crew and is actually curious enough to ask Tomoko about it. Tomoko comes up with the excuse of people being in exam, and how Yoshida responds just really hits me in the heart (warming it right up), saying that, well, since she's not busy she'll be there if Tomoko says the word. It's been a while, but Yoshida's soft side always has such an impact, particularly here with Tomoko grappling with friends and her loner side. I think it's nice we're actually seemingly a bit removed by this point, too, from the side of Yoshida dishing out physical punishment to Tomoko. Yoshida's latest confrontations have been with Komi, and now Tomoko has more been on the receiving end of Yuri and Nemo for physically reacting to her stupid stuff, so it's been feeling surprisingly chill with Tomoko and Yoshida.

Comment

• Chapter 148

"It's kind of late to be saying this... but, Kuro, isn't your skirt too long?" Heh, rather late indeed. Tomoko wearing her skirt so long seems to be a rather distinctive characteristic of hers, since I can't even remember other classmates wearing even close to as long as she does. Tomoko's reasons deep down for doing so are not surprising at all, though it's hilarious to see Tomoko confronting it directly in practice and being so adorably embarrassed about it. She doesn't realize she can actually feel so much like a girl.

Nemo's intentions to troll and get one over on Tomoko for sexually harassing her are actually kind of successful this time, but perhaps at the cost of furthering shattering how Okada views her. Okada happens upon the scene not once, but two times, in a way that leads to the maximum amount of misunderstanding. And Nemo also wouldn't have been as successful in pushing Tomoko into doing it if Katou hadn't come along and proclaimed her curiosity too, on top of helping Tomoko to do it. Katou getting to adjust clothes around Tomoko's crotch region obviously gets Tomoko in a rather ecstatic state. This chapter is rife with a lot of wonderful facial expressions.

And speaking of expressions... Tomoko tries to get back at Nemo a few times with the "pink nympho" label, with which Nemo first uses Yuri to illustrate the obvious normality of wearing shorter skirts around school. The twitching reaction and expression from Yuri from that discussion coming right in front of her is amusing, as is her trying to paint herself as a modest alternative to Nemo by making up how she and Mako wear another layer underneath their skirts. Tomoko, having just come off of getting a glimpse under her skirt in just the previous chapter, knows she's lying.

Comment

• Chapter 149

Tomoko comes across Shizuku putting on makeup, assuming that maybe she's meeting up with a guy later, but Shizuku actually says she was only getting ready for having lunch with Tomoko. Tomoko gets to thinking about how it might be that thing in adult society where it's a breach of manners not to wear makeup. Things like this are just a pain for Tomoko. But Shizuku is so earnestly happy about her friendship with Tomoko. Tomoko does at least get the idea about Shizuku not having female friends at this point, and amusingly thinks Shizuku wants to get in on the girl friendship thing of girls calling each other cute that Tomoko had witnessed with other girls in class her first year. Tomoko is embarassed by that kind of thing, and when she does get to doing it, it rather looks like something more cool and romantic than friendly in Shizuku's eyes.

While Shizuku has Tomoko all to herself here, and Tomoko apologizes for how things got crowded the last time, Shizuku really admires how many friends Tomoko has and is really curious to learn how she can do it herself. Tomoko is always taken aback when it looks this way to others, knowing how her first two years at high school were rather friendless. Tomoko puts up a front where she looks cool at first "Naturally... I guess" in explaining why, and turns around by probing how Shizuku has so many guy friends and kind of irritates Tomoko when she cutely and unintentionally says the same "Naturally" thing. Tomoko relates how she can't even talk to guys, and on that subject gets to find out about the embarrassing things Kii has told Shizuku about her. Though as far as her girl friends go, Tomoko ends up coming completely truthfully clean to her kouhai here in a way she seemingly never would with her peers, actually telling the full truth about how she really hadn't even made the friends she has now until after her school trip. This gets Shizuku thinking that, with a class sports match-ups coming up, maybe she can have that kind of event where she connect with other girls like what happened with Tomoko. She finds out they are both doing ping pong and asks if Tomoko can help her practice.

It's interesting with Tomoko taking up the offer, Yuri is getting increasingly aggressive when Tomoko seems to be going off somewhere without her after class. Normally she'd let it slide without a reason, but now she's getting to outright ask what she's doing. I'm quite curious about how Tomoko thinks she's "still miffed at me for lying and hanging out with the punks", since the fact she apparently found out about that never came up. It makes me wonder how it slipped to her, whether Tomoko, Yoshida, or someone else. Both of those two seem rather reserved in different ways and not prone to gossip about things. But maybe Yoshida had told Yuri and co. since she was feeling a little worried about Tomoko seemingly on her lonesome at the arcade. A sweet take, if so. In any case, Yuri is not satisfied just hearing Tomoko saying she's practicing ping pong since she knows well at this point that Tomoko just doing it to slack off. So with Yuri's badgering, Tomoko admits it's with the kouhai she's met in the courtyard before, but with out going in to any detail in response to Yuri's further "how come?" questioning. Still interesting how much further Yuri is going with the kind of thing since earlier in their friendship.

Shizuku's natural charm with guys continues to really impress Tomoko, with to how she's so easily secured space on the courts for them from the ping pong club boys. Shizuku fumbles so adorably and sexily at playing ping pong that Tomoko knows well how girls have zero reason to like her, though Tomoko herself is "okay with anything sexy". In the earlier encounters with Shizuku, Tomoko really seemed to let her usual bitterness about girls more successful with the boys to seep in a lot, but despite such things still hitting a kind of nerve at times, it feels Tomoko shows it in a way that she's gotten to appreciate what Shizuku's like now. Shizuku telling Tomoko that she's happy with her spending time with her even if there's nothing in it for Tomoko rather sweetly gets Tomoko thinking of those times where Imae helped her out. Tomoko tries to think of a further way to help (that's more her style) in bringing a ping pong manga for her to check out. She ends up bringing the one that's raunchier and less focused on actual ping pong, but at least she was trying...

Poor, poor Shizuku, though. It turns out she's faced up against the seemingly athletically talented Futaki, who seems to just demolish her at the game. To just make matters worse, the other girls consoling and bonding over the match seem to completely leave her out, sadly leaving Shizuku looking totally depressed over missing out of the sole reason she was even trying hard at this. So heartwarming to see Tomoko actually get a little aggressive there and hug her and say the kind of consolatory thing she was hoping to do with her girl peers. Of course it has to be a bit "almost heartwarming" with Tomoko as the mood predictably gets her in a bit of a perverted mindset. Well, that's her though, and at least Tomoko is actually feeling a bit self-conscious of it too.

I noticed in the Yen Press release of Vol. 15, they oddly put the translation notes between Ch. 149 and 150 rather than the very back as has been the case I think with all volumes previous. Weird because the notes do include stuff from 150 seemingly. I was miffed for a little while since I thought they had not done them at first (having only looked at the usual spot and not further to avoid spoiling any chapters before I got to reading)

Comment

• Chapter 150

With the ping pong match over, Tomoko and the others are left without anything to do for a while, so go over to the softball match where a lot of the other familiar faces are playing. Of course Komiyama is involved in that and is in full baseball geek mode, with Itou commenting how awkwardly out of step she is with the usual attitude of girls playing. It's funny to see Komi interact with Minami as catcher and pitcher when the two couldn't be more different in how seriously they want to take this. I just knew Komi was going to be the next target of Minami's trash talking when she was with her friends again. Yuri seems like she wanted Mako to be playing ping pong with them. I guess the implication here is that Mako had gotten drawn into this for Minami's sake. Yuri does seem like she's more mellow about this kind of occurrence than she was originally in the school trip, with Tomoko by her side. And maybe not just that, really. Even Nemo too perhaps to some degree.

Okada encourages to go watch the boys and cheer them on, since she thinks they might need the encouragement, the class seemingly lacking in boys that are on sports teams. Does seem like a somewhat nerdy or easygoing assortment of them from the few we've gotten to see. Nemo takes on the task cheerfully, and tries to get Tomoko and Yuri into it too. Tomoko unsurprisingly completely lacks self-esteem at the thought, thinking an "ugly" girl will just bring the morale down. I do wonder if Nemo tries to pick her up in pointing out how self-conscious she is and that there are some guys who might want her to cheer them on. Though that would just seem like a fetish to Tomoko. Yuri is unsurprisingly just in complete apathy mode about this whole thing.

Tomoko gravitates to some of the habits she picked up in her lonesome mode while having nothing to do during previous sporting event downtimes. Namely, observing bugs. Katou is so adorably interested in what Tomoko is showing her about the antlion. Tomoko continues to have her mind in the gutter about how she thinks Katou's reactions are erotic. Nemo later tries to push them to a bit more girlier type of grade school outdoor pastime with making accessories out of flowers. Tomoko manages to make one that Yuri and Nemo think is surprisingly good. And so she immediately goes off to give it to Katou, basking in the radiant glow of her "earth mother". But after doing that, she finds out Nemo so engaged with Yuri over the flower thing that she's not getting back in. Haha, choosing Katou over them has come at a cost for Tomoko. Yuri outwardly doesn't really seem accepting of Nemo's attention, though I do wonder if she's gotten to appreciate it in some way deep down.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X