Widgets Magazine

No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
    Heh, that thought did come to mind. Who's the real kimoi one here? Haha.
    Whilst Utchi is attracted to Mokotchi, Utchi strongly insists that Mokotchi is creepy. So probably Utchi does not admit that in a sense Utchi is more kimoi. ^_^;

Though her sprinkling pose there is probably a reference to this meme.
    Oh, thank you for telling me of that meme.
    It seems that the Turkish cook in question got the nickname 'Shio-furi ojisan' (The man who sprinkles salt) in Japan. So, as you have conjectured, it is probable that the gif animator applied the Turkish cook's sprinkling salt to Utchi's sprinkling the secret condiment.

Comment

• Chapter 121

The title of this chapter really caught my curiosity. Tomoko's dad has been such an elusive character, with his face never shown in the rare bits he actually appears. So was unusual get a short chapter full of interactions with his daughter. Heh, but they completely avoid showing his face for the most part. Always fun when it's obvious with the dialogue bubbles block him. But we see one eye of his in the rear-view mirror once! Guess he shares the trait with the rest of the family having bags under eyes. Not surprising in that he might be a workaholic salaryman.

But now is spring break, and apparently some time off for leisure to go finishing for Mr. Kuroki. Does not seem like something Tomoko would care for, and that though's on the mark (she thinks it might have been a little more fun when she was a kid), but she apparently had nothing else to do, having finished up her game. I kind of like the boyish fishing look for Tomoko, with her baseball cap and camo pants.

Though yet more bits of heartwarming here as dad asks Tomoko about school. Tomoko goes for the practical answer in saying how any kid her age would not care that much about school, but apparently dad has been hearing from mom about how she's noticed that Tomoko hasn't been saying that she didn't want to go or that she wanted to stay home like she used to. Tomoko didn't even think that her parents might talk about that kind of thing. Tomoko has been admitting to herself how things have changed, but even sweeter to see it has been picked up on by her parents. Her family in general, given what we saw of Tomoki's observations a few chapters back.

Also nice to see how, even though she's finding it boring, she values having something to show her friends. Having not caught any at first, she thinks of just using one of her dad's catches in a photo when all of a sudden she gets a bite on her line. I'm really amused at the joke of all the fish she's caught (whether as a kid or the one just now) end up looking so freaky and ghoulish. "Is it a case of rotten attracting rotten?" She can be rather self-deprecatory. Also funny how she used different photos in sending to Yuu on one hand and Yuri and Mako on the other. I guess she thinks at this point that the latter only expect those weird kind of things out of her anyway.

Comment

• Chapter 122

The third school year is now underway with all of the students reacting to the revelation of class rosters. Kind of as I'd expect given the trajectory of the series, Tomoko gets bunched in class with the people she's gotten to know, with a few coming in who even weren't in the same class for the second year. The most notable one being Komiyama. Komi's reaction really is what I'd expect given how it feels she's long gotten accustomed to Tomoko. There's no disgust, and maybe doesn't even feel it's bad. Of course, Tomoko is going to register some disgust, put perhaps even she's come some way with the level of the response. Was cute seeing Itou is going to be there too, providing some relief to Komiyama that her friend is still around, but also her bringing up remembering Tomoko at the entrance exams. After a few years, that bunch is back together though she doesn't quite realize it with Nemo there.

Speaking of relief, Yuri's reaction may be the sweetest. We know how much it was weighing on her. That big smile on her face at seeing Tomoko's and Yoshida's name, and her subsequent embarrassment over how much she was showing, was the best.

Ah, and with Yoshida's name posted we get to see what her given name is for I believe, the first time: Masaki. An interesting chapter for name reveals. The beauty who has come by Tomoko a few times is finally named as Asuka Katou (though I have known it already due to the Internet). Well, technically she's in named in ch. 58 as the one who calls Tomoko about the baseball game, though not named to face. In retrospect makes sense though, seeing the first time she was shown and seated next to Tomoko on the class trip train ride, since "Katou" would naturally be close to "Kuroki" in class order which they were seated by (also at graduation in that regard).

Not everyone is seemingly all together. Yoshida's delinquent friends are seemingly not with her in the same class again. They've appeared so little so I'm kind of curious about them. Though given Yoshida's words a few chapters back, she wouldn't feel not being in the same class much of a barrier to hanging out anyway. And then there's fang girl Minami-san. It feels karmic that she's being separated from her usual group, assumedly the one she's dragged Mako into before. The friend thinks Minami can just go with Mako, but Mako seems to feel reservations based on Minami being friend with "her". I kind of wonder whether she means Yuri or Tomoko. She's shunned the former and seems to like making fun of the latter behind her back. Either one, I wonder what brought her feelings on them on in the first place, but it's probably something stupid and superficial. Heh, and karmic in a completely different way for Ucchi, who has quite the fun extreme reaction. It shows how far things have really turned around for her since she immediately wanted to get away from whole group of girls she's now going to be in a separate class from next year. Her whole big group of friends is still wondering what's going on with her. Have to stop her from flashing people here.

Back in class, Tomoko reacts to seeing Ogino is yet again their homeroom teacher. I kind of wonder if she had some part in the fact they're all in the same class again, given how forward she was on the whole trying to make friends for her angle in the first place.

And then there is the fated classroom introductions moment, for the third time. Tomoko is beyond wanting to do anything irregular like happened the first two times. She's prepared to just do it like "normal" finally. But then there's the Nemo factor. Nemo somewhat unintentionally was the cause of Tomoko's normality plan breaking down in the second year, but here she ends up intentionally egging Tomoko into doing something unusual. It's really interesting what is implied of Nemo's mindset here. In some regards it is close to what I was feeling on her before. She's felt like she's been "playing the part" of a normal girl and maybe a bit envious of Tomoko in the she's more true to herself. In seeing Tomoko humiliate herself (which at this point, Tomoko feels is not on the level of what she's already endured before, flashing back to things even like her dogeza moment to Kosaka), rather than stay the status quo, Nemo actually comes right forward with truthfully announcing the very thing she's been trying her hardest to hide: her voice actor dreams.

The way Nemo follows up on that really shows how deeply insecure she feels about all of this. Like how it feels like a certain fact to her that her friends are going to completely abandon her now. As I've felt before, they really seem to type of people who would accept her (even right away in this chapter, Kiyota's response feels that way), so I am a bit curious to see how they move forward in that regard, particularly with Okada who's seemingly been so close to her. In that state of mind, Nemo tells Tomoko she wants her to teach her how to be a loner, with her considering Tomoko a pro loner. But not like she's a loner if she thinks she has Tomoko to talk to and learn from. I am definitely really intrigued where this is going to lead as far as their connection goes.
        Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 03-13-2019, 03:58 PM. Reason: Adjusted a part about Ucchi I had misunderstood the first time.

Comment

• Re: Chapter 122

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
          She's felt like she's been "playing the part" of a normal girl and maybe a bit envious of Tomoko in the she's more true to herself...Nemo actually comes right forward with truthfully announcing the very thing she's been trying her hardest to hide: her voice actor dreams.
          Yeah, Mokotchi makes Nemo have more mature personality. In this regard, Mokotchi is a good friend of Nemo's. And we can also see that Mokotchi comes to be a good person who can have good influence upon other people.
          A funny thing about this impressive scene is that, in the background, the scene also has a comical part where Komiyama Kotomi garrulously talks about her baseball maniac-ness.

...so I am a bit curious to see how they move forward in that regard, particularly with Okada who's seemingly been so close to her.
          What you have said is to the point.
          You are quite perceptive. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
            A funny thing about this impressive scene is that, in the background, the scene also has a comical part where Komiyama Kotomi garrulously talks about her baseball maniac-ness.
            Heh, I forgot to mention that, but I loved that part. She's got so much to bring up, that Ogino has to cut her off. I'm guessing she did this in previous years' introductions (maybe to a further point if she didn't have teacher as engaged as Ogino). It's interesting the contrast with Tomoko, in that she seems more open about her nerdy side (whereas Tomoko doesn't specify the kind of "reading" she does). I'm still quite curious how her and Itou originally hit it off as friends.

Comment

Heh, I forgot to mention that, but I loved that part. She's got so much to bring up, that Ogino has to cut her off. I'm guessing she did this in previous years' introductions (maybe to a further point if she didn't have teacher as engaged as Ogino).
              As you have conjectured, it is likely that Komi-san talked about baseball also in previous years' introductions, and if the teacher does not stop her, probably Komi-san will talk about baseball, say, for several minutes in her introduction.
              A funny thing about the Komiyama-introduces-herself part is that at the start of her introduction Komi-san has stammeringly said, 'Aq Ko...Komiyama Kotomi desu......' but soon she has started to talk in a weirdly fluent way in her introduction. At first Komi-san had 'stage fright', but since she is a baseball maniac, when she has entered the baseball phase, she talked fluently and incessantly to the level where Ogino-sensei had to stop her.

(whereas Tomoko doesn't specify the kind of "reading" she does).
              Yeah, to paraphrase 'reading manga and/or light novels' as just 'reading' is a trope which you can sometimes find in otacky contexts.

It's interesting the contrast with Tomoko, in that she seems more open about her nerdy side.
              Certainly, memorising baseball-related data is similar to, say, tetsu-ota (railfan, railway otaku)'s memorising railway-related data (hence it is nerdy) from a certain viewpoint.
              But a factor which can be taken into account is that being a baseball maniac would be usually regarded as far 'less bad' than being an otaku proper. So, probably, one of the reasons why Komiyama has garrulously talked about her baseball maniac-ness is that when it comes to baseball, Komiyama becomes enthusiastic, and another reason is that she does not think people regard being a baseball maniac as a thing which should be looked down on in the first place.

I'm still quite curious how her and Itou originally hit it off as friends.
              It seems to be a question which also occurs to other fans of WataMote.
              In the essay part of a WataMote-themed dojinshi which depicts friendship between Mokotchi and other girls, the author talked about it. His guess is rather a 'vanilla' one which is 'Komiyama's seat was near to Ito's seat in the classroom,' though.

By the way, this may be a thing which you have already noticed, but the family names of characters in WataMote are derived from the family names of baseball players who play/played for the Chiba Lotte Marines.

Comment

A funny thing about the Komiyama-introduces-herself part is that at the start of her introduction Komi-san has stammeringly said, 'Aq Ko...Komiyama Kotomi desu......' but soon she has started to talk in a weirdly fluent way in her introduction. At first Komi-san had 'stage fright', but since she is a baseball maniac, when she has entered the baseball phase, she talked fluently and incessantly to the level where Ogino-sensei had to stop her.
                Ah yeah, that's an interesting contrast. It's always struck me how Komiyama seems to be the sort of shy type, but not often really on the level of Tomoko. When Tomoko is caught off guard like that, her nervous response tends to be emphasized with text font. It's only when Tomoki catches her off guard that Komiyama ends up in even more of an awkward mess than Tomoko. Hehe.

Certainly, memorising baseball-related data is similar to, say, tetsu-ota (railfan, railway otaku)'s memorising railway-related data (hence it is nerdy) from a certain viewpoint.
                But a factor which can be taken into account is that being a baseball maniac would be usually regarded as far 'less bad' than being an otaku proper. So, probably, one of the reasons why Komiyama has garrulously talked about her baseball maniac-ness is that when it comes to baseball, Komiyama becomes enthusiastic, and another reason is that she does not think people regard being a baseball maniac as a thing which should be looked down on in the first place.
                That's a very good point. When Komiyama starts out that her hobbies are reading, she (like Tomoko) does not mention light novels, though we know she reads them too. Being an enthusiastic sports fan does seem like something that would be more socially acceptable.

It seems to be a question which also occurs to other fans of WataMote.
                In the essay part of a WataMote-themed dojinshi which depicts friendship between Mokotchi and other girls, the author talked about it. His guess is rather a 'vanilla' one which is 'Komiyama's seat was near to Ito's seat in the classroom,' though.
                That would be about what I would think too. Perhaps similarly with Yuri and Mako. I noticed this chapter that their family names are likely to be close together in class order (Tamura and Tanaka).

By the way, this may be a thing which you have already noticed, but the family names of characters in WataMote are derived from the family names of baseball players who play/played for the Chiba Lotte Marines.
                Yep, I have noticed. I guess Komiyama's enthusiasm might be modeled on the author's own. Whatever the actual case, it's a fun connection.

Comment

• Volume 12 Bonus

After Fail 117: This one offers a bit of a more direct look at just how Minami badmouths Tomoko around the other girls when Tomoko isn't around. Minami seemed to have the idea that Nemo was making fun of Tomoko with her impressions. Well, maybe she was a little bit, but Minami takes to putting her down in a way that Nemo certainly would never feel. And Nemo does get that across to the point Minami feels awkward having engaged her like that. Minami thinks, ah well, she's not going to be in her class next year, but... It certainly adds to my feeling that karma is coming around on that girl.

After Fail 119: Heh, so my question about what Yuri was talking about with Yoshida and how she convinced her to come is actually answered her. Actually Yuri's appeals to keep Tomoko's awkwardness in line (which is not her true feelings anyway: we know in retrospect she just wanted them all to hang together as a group) doesn't work with Yoshida at all. It's hilarious that the real reason Yoshida finally got to coming along... was that they were all getting hungry. Feels rather relatable.

Afterword

And speaking of relatable, the writer gets a dose of sad reality here. All fretting (since he was not a great student) over just what his teachers think of him now as he goes back to school for manga reference material (nice that they started off there to add some realism), but he actually doesn't get to meet any of them at all as they had all moved onto other schools after all this time. A bit of something you might not think of much in school-themed anime and manga works.

Next volume teaser: coming March 2019, which is... now! Haha... I've taken so long reading Vol. 12 that the next volume will probably be mine in only a matter of weeks from now (could be a wait depending on whether Right Stuf partial ships it or not). It's partly intentional: I did intend to go through the volume slowly and savor, though probably took longer than I thought even then. Next volume seems very intriguing so I'm happy it won't be long until I get to read some more.

Reality vs. Fantasy: Wow, it actually seems to be Ucchi this time, rather than Tomoko as usual! Really amusing... I'm guessing Ucchi doesn't know just how badly Tomoko sucks at karaoke. Or maybe the fantasy is gently guiding her along as they sing. Haha.

Comment

• Volume 15

The Gan Gan Online website now has Chapter 153 of WataMote, and according to the message from the publishing firm added to Chapter 153, Volume 15 of the Japanese edition of WataMote will be released on May 11.

Comment

• Re: Volume 12 Bonus

Next volume teaser: coming March 2019, which is... now! Haha...
                      It is a very good timing that you can aquire Volume 13 right after you have read Volume 12. ^_^

Comment

It is a very good timing that you can aquire Volume 13 right after you have read Volume 12. ^_^
                        And as it happens, I just got shipping confirmation from Right Stuf a few hours ago. Definitely looking forward to digging into it.

Comment

And as it happens, I just got shipping confirmation from Right Stuf a few hours ago. Definitely looking forward to digging into it.
                          I'm sure that you also enjoy Volume 13.

Comment

• Chapter 123

Another chapter from Tomoki's point of view, as he has to go get his lunch he forgot from Tomoko. And the most awkward part of it is not Tomoko but the various personalities he ends up running into.

It's interesting how Tomoki seems just as focused in his thoughts about Yoshida's delinquent image as his sister is. The expression he gets from Yoshida from accidentally making eye contact with her is totally different from the last time. And it's soon apparent why... she's totally on cloud nine over the fact the third years are going to "Mousey Land". It's so cute how happy she is over it, and that's bound to be an interesting experience.

Not being able to get it at the bathroom as initially planned, Tomoki has to hesitantly venture into Tomoko's classroom to get it from her locker. He catches Yuri's eye, seeing someone she doesn't know going through Tomoko's locker. Tomoki clears up his relation to Tomoko, but the awkwardness continues as Yuri has gotten the idea that Tomoko really wants to see him, and trying to meekly get him to stay by tugging on his arm.

And oh boy, Komiyama is there to witness that. Descending into a mess as she usually does on sight of her crush, Tomoki is thinking about how they put the weirdos together in the same class. He at least graciously answers about how he hasn't returned her valentine's gift. Komiyama has quite the happy reaction to that, not just her face blushing, but elsewhere too... For Itou, it seems Koto's antics have reached a new level of off-putting.

And in the end, Tomoki finally comes across Tomoko, rather subdued and normal all things considered, and Tomoki thinks "Is it possible sis is the relatively normal one?" Thinking back to where we started with them, quite the revelation. :D

Comment

• Chapter 124

A rather interesting look at the current state of the friendship dynamics of some of those around Tomoko this chapter. First we see of Nemo since she thinks she's ruined herself socially with her admission in the introduction. And does look like Okada is at a distance. It really seems like Nemo is the one putting up the walls, though. Nice guy Kiyota is still inviting her out to karaoke with friends and stuff, and Nemo is blowing it off to stick with her new "I'm all about anime" type persona. Rather curious where things are going there.

Elsewhere, Minami seems to be trying to push herself as a friend of Katou. Inviting her out even to things Katou is not really that interested in. Okada being distant from Nemo seems to bring Okada along with her ideas. Minami seems to be the type to thrive on discord, whether she's creating it or not.

It's time for Tomoko and Komi's usual meetup with Yuu, and that leads to some all around awkwardness factoring in their new shared class status and their separate friendship circles. They have to struggle to go further with their front to Yuu who thinks they've gotten to get along. Though she's gotten to each lunch and hang around Yuri and Mako a bit, Tomoko really seems to feel she hasn't gotten close to them and seems to feel awkward talking about them as friends (kind of in how she even thinks herself how she hasn't gotten to call Yuri by her name, even as a "Tamura-san" a this point). She wouldn't seem to talk about them at all if the shared class with Komi situation hadn't come, so interesting how it's gotten her to breech the subject.

Komi's mistaken impression of Yuri as a potential Tomoki stealer seems to remain, and I wonder if it will even continue from here. She about really aggravates Tomoko on her attempts to scratch the subject of her run-in with Tomoki, as Tomoko is talking about her brief interaction with Itou.

And speak of the devil... It's very interesting to see the buildup of Yuri finding out about Yuu. It seems be quite the buildup of subdued jealousy into something not quite as subdued. First being blown off from the usual routine of walking home with Tomoko at school before the meetup even happens. When Yuri and Mako happen to see the trio, Mako gets to pointing out how cute Yuu is, which Yuri seems to react to (perhaps feeling some inadequacy). And then when they get to talking, Yuri takes particularly note of Tomoko being called by her peculiar nickname of Mokocchi and even hearing Tomoko say "Yuu-chan".

It's all bubbling up, first as she tries to insert themselves further in the meeting, despite Mako's reluctance to intrude, and then further intensifies as Yuri really wants to start bringing up some of her shared experiences with Tomoko. Awkwardly for Tomoko, they are things that don't reflect well on her. But going too far with this, Yuri gets pulled aside by Mako.

When Mako wants to get serious with someone, I guess it is always to the restroom. She can get scary looking there. And oh boy, does she know the thing to rein Yuri in. Yuri being told she's acting like Minami really seems to stab at her mentally (can barely restrain a physical reaction even to Mako). Yuri gets to feeling apologetic thinking about it, but wants to hide behind Mako doing it for her, but Mako stays firm in thinking Yuri should come out with her.

It's really kind of sweet the reaction she gets out of Yuu. Even as Mako is trying to get them to duck out gracefully, Yuu wants to become LINE friends with them, and Yuri does get to come out with her apologetic admission. But thinking again how Tomoko is so reluctant to talk about how things go with her friends, Yuu is really happy she has gotten to hear those kind of things from Yuri. Mako's happy that Yuu is such a nice person, staving off worries that Yuri's awkwardness had soured things. And in response to that, Yuri says that Yuu's unlike both herself and Tomoko. Interestingly the attitude really kind of seems to make some sense of the fact she's had rather negative outlook of Tomoko but still feeling a bond with her. It could be a bit of self-loathing and feeling she has someone on the same wavelength in that regard.

After they leave, Yuu talks about how she also really wants to meet Komi's friend, and thinks she's probably a nice person too. When Komi wants to know why she thinks that, the admission from Yuu... kind of feels bad for Komi when you think about it one way, as if she'd have to be really nice to be friends for so long with such an oddball. "Drat, she really got me there." Haha. I hope to see that at some point. Bound to be a very interesting meeting too.

Comment

• Re: Chapter 123

... she's totally on cloud nine over the fact the third years are going to "Mousey Land".
                                In the Japanese edition, the name of the theme park is Nezumi Land.
                                The pronunciation of 'nezumi (mouse)' is /nezumi/.
                                The pronunciation of the name of that guy is, of course, /dizni/.

not just her face blushing, but elsewhere too...
                                Britishers may say, 'She goes red.' ^_^;

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X