Widgets Magazine

No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapter 114

Finishing out the Valentine's chapters with Tomoko and Yuri giving their friends chocolate. Pretty sweet with Mako. Of course with Yoshida, Tomoko never really can manage without pissing her off. She's somewhat aware of it in thinking she should not hand her poop-shaped chocolate to her in person. But whatever Tomoko decides, it feels like it's always going to get the worst reaction out of Yoshida. Tomoko's not there to take Yoshida's wrath, but not understanding its chocolate at all at first, Yoshida lets out a pretty violent public display at her desk. Yuri is left to try to calm things down with the responsible party not even around. Yuri is still somewhat playing the role of mediator as she did when she got to know them at the class trip, though perhaps more awkward when Tomoko isn't even there.

Heh, and Ucchi is quite suspicious about Tomoko's chocolates, though tries them anyway. They're seemingly too sweet from her reaction, but maybe nothing exaggeratedly disastrous about them as sometimes happens in anime and manga. But when she puts them up and all together, she gets to see what the original shape of Tomoko's chocolates and the reaction is quite amusing to see. Tomoko's efforts to make her chocolate look normal were for naught. She probably should have just tried cutting up Yoshida's chocolates like that too.

Comment

• Re: Volume 14

Square Enix will release the Japanese edition of Volume 14 of WataMote on January 22, 2019.
      https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1n5iVK007L.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
        Square Enix will release the Japanese edition of Volume 14 of WataMote on January 22, 2019.
        https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1n5iVK007L.jpg
        I have bought Volume 14 at the flagship of Tora no Ana in Akibahara, and Tora no Ana's free gift attached to Volume 14 was a picture of Mokotchi, Kato-san, and Utchi in the train.
        https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw7Q-ayVAAEcluU.jpg:large

Comment

I have bought Volume 14 at the flagship of Tora no Ana in Akibahara, and Tora no Ana's free gift attached to Volume 14 was a picture of Mokotchi, Kato-san, and Utchi in the train.
          https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw7Q-ayVAAEcluU.jpg:large
          Awwww... that's really cute. Nice you got it. Hope it won't be long until Yen solicits it. I'm happy Vol. 13 is coming around rather quickly at least (I've got that preordered).

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
            Awwww... that's really cute. Nice you got it. Hope it won't be long until Yen solicits it. I'm happy Vol. 13 is coming around rather quickly at least (I've got that preordered).
            Thank you for the response.
            It would be nice if Yen Press adds WataMote-themed omake free-gift cards or something to first-printing copies of US-edition WataMote.
            I think you will enjoy Volume 13, too. ^_^

Comment

• Chapter 115

And now it's time for the graduation ceremony of Tomoko's seniors, near the end of her second year of school. Been an event I've been quite curious about for a while. Quite a bit different in feel from the first graduation ceremony. With it beginning with Tomoko setting up chairs and Yuri checking on her, this is kind of more spiritually linked to Tomoko's school festival experience from the start. Though Tomoko does at one point thank about how she didn't try to sing the song the first time, and this time she feels she should do it since it's the last time she'll be seeing anyone off in graduation. It's really great the amount of mellow, thoughtful Tomoko we have this time.

Interesting to see Ogino suited up. I feel like I only see her in a tracksuit, so perhaps this is her mode really only for formal occasions where she has to, but looks kind of cool nonetheless.

Tomoko has to take part in the tradition of pinning a corsage on a senior, something I would expect to be quite nerve-wracking for her. Got a good laugh when it turned out Tomoki's ikemen friend from the soccer who comes over and asks her. The sports festival experience was harrowing for her, and here we see Tomoko fumble around in a way that's expected, but it's nice to see afterwards that Tomoko has gotten to feel the kind of thing doesn't leave her shaken anymore. Tomoko may think her life has gotten more "dull" because of it, but frankly it's a kind of "dull" I appreciate.

Tomoko catches sight of Imae being part of the class too, and has to get to a nervous bow when Imae notices both her and Yoshida. Nice again how Tomoko is thoughtful and questioning whether she should have greeted her more properly, as the only one she's had any kind of connection to among the senior class.

Tomoko had kind of looked like she was crying as they were setting up chairs, but she just seems to have a hay fever issue that continues even as the formal ceremony starts. It's so sweet her neighbors the glamour girl and Nemo are looking out for her. It was a really fun reveal how the handkerchief the glamour girl was passing along actually came from Uchi. It feels like it's just like her to obsess frantically over Tomoko if she saw what she thought were tears, but it's fits the feel of this chapter in how Uchi's role there is entirely off screen a few seats.

After the ceremony, Tomoko does follow through on trying to go properly greet Imae as she thought earlier, and nervously answers Yuri about going to see someone when Yuri asks if she's going home. It's an expected scene with the popular Imae being greeted by lots of girls she knows, and Tomoko just feeling a little too awkward to approach, to a point Yuri comes by to ask if she's done. But then all of a sudden we get a crowning moment of awesome from Yoshida as she kind of pushes Tomoko into Imae's attention. For once, Yoshida's characteristic roughness with Tomoko is used to such heartwarming ends.

So many happy tears from how Tomoko's interactions with Imae goes. Imae decides to finally introduce herself with her full name, and Tomoko gives hers. A kind of normal greeting that it feels she's hardly gotten to do, and it's nice how much Imae was thinking and regretting she hadn't done that normal thing. And as her "farewell gift", Imae tells Tomoko she's going to hug her one more time, and sweetly we get to see her doing it not obscured by a suit this time. When Yuri and Mako come over and ask about Tomoko about how she knew her, it finally sinks into to Tomoko as she thinks about the culture festival, that it was her in that kigurumi.

Tomoko had thought earlier during the graduation that her second year hadn't been so bad, a good experience with some "high school memories", and that she wouldn't feel so bad if she could just graudate right here and now. There's the anxiety in her head that it could be downhill for her with the class change among other things. But after meeting with Imae, Tomoko reflects on how she has only ever gotten and never given anything herself. While it's hard for Tomoko to think of herself as a giver, she changes her mind to not feeling like she's qualified to graduate yet. Definitely has me quite teary-eyed in Tomoko getting emotional about how she only notices things like Imae's kindness so late. It's so appropriately subdue in how it's depicted, with Tomoko's face not being visible and only a light sniffle sound effect. But when Mako offers Tomoko a tissue, Yuri holds her back in recognizing Tomoko has not just got hay fever this time. ^_^

What a wonderful chapter. I expected some sweet, interesting things here, but I think it went beyond that in how well done. Already yet another strong contender for a favorite. Really happy we end on such a strong note as far as Imae's presence at school goes.

Comment

• Re: Chapter 115

We can see Mokotchi maturing emotionally and mentally in this good chapter. ^_^

But then all of a sudden we get a crowning moment of awesome from Yoshida as she kind of pushes Tomoko into Imae's attention. For once, Yoshida's characteristic roughness with Tomoko is used to such heartwarming ends.
                Maybe Yoshida-san is a yankee with a heart of gold.

It's so appropriately subdue in how it's depicted, with Tomoko's face not being visible and only a light sniffle sound effect. But when Mako offers Tomoko a tissue, Yuri holds her back in recognizing Tomoko has not just got hay fever this time. ^_^
                The usage of the tears (and the handkerchief and the tissues) in this chapter is clever.
                And as you, too, have said, the quiet low-key long shot of Yuri, Mako and Tomoko (we cannot see the detail of the three figures) is quite effective.
                Yuri's having held back Mako showed us Yuri's sensitive gentle side.
                The 'zubi, zuzu' sniffle sound effect nicely ties this heartwarming scene to the fact that this is still a manga, a comic(al) book.

What a wonderful chapter. I expected some sweet, interesting things here, but I think it went beyond that in how well done. Already yet another strong contender for a favorite. Really happy we end on such a strong note as far as Imae's presence at school goes.
                ^_^ b thumbs up

Spoiler ->In Volume 14, Imae-senpai rides again.

Comment

• Re: Chapter 110

Tomoko's prepared line about even punks and perverts making it into this school does make me wonder a bit on just how the class-skipping delinquent Yoshida has gotten by academically at this school that was too hard for Yuu and the sick girl's boyfriend to get into. I suppose like with Yoshida's love of cute things, her academic ability may be different from the vibe she gives off too.
                  In the postscript manga in Volume 12, regarding his school days, the scriptwriter of WataMote said,

Spoiler ->'My marks were worse than yankees'. Probably the yankees secretly studied hard.'

Comment

We can see Mokotchi maturing emotionally and mentally in this good chapter. ^_^
                    There's been signs of it before, but it really comes to the fore here.

Maybe Yoshida-san is a yankee with a heart of gold.
                    Indeed. That's a type I have quite a soft spot for, like just recently with Saki in Zombie Land Saga.

The usage of the tears (and the handkerchief and the tissues) in this chapter is clever.
                    And as you, too, have said, the quiet low-key long shot of Yuri, Mako and Tomoko (we cannot see the detail of the three figures) is quite effective.
                    Yuri's having held back Mako showed us Yuri's sensitive gentle side.
                    The 'zubi, zuzu' sniffle sound effect nicely ties this heartwarming scene to the fact that this is still a manga, a comic(al) book.
                    All excellent points. So nicely handled.

Comment

• Chapter 116

Just a short chapter on Tomoki's perspective of the graduation events, but it's really interesting to have. Most fun was the initial bit with Yoshida, where even he thinks Tomoko is being bullied by a punk. I love how him looking in on that is picked up by Yoshida and he gets confronted in a manner that reinforces the punk stereotype.

Funny how I was thinking a bit about what Ucchi being like off screen during the graduation ceremony, but didn't think about how she might be witnessing this event too. Definitely so like her in how Ucchi's view is twisted towards thinking Tomoko is perving on girls. All of this gets Tomoki reflecting on how weird the girls Tomoko seems to know are (Komiyama of course coming first to mind), but also has some seemingly "decent" girls she knows too.

Kind of nice to see how this also gets Tomoki thinking about how things were in the beginning with those constant room sessions at the beginning of high school, and how it's now seemed to change two years in. Of course, some things never change. Tomoko is still thinking about that ikemen who asked for her and bugging her brother with her delusions.

Comment

• Chapter 117

Now the next collection of short comics. Always fun.

One of Ucchi's friends talks about being cramped in the train with Tomoko. The "you-know-who" moniker among that group has long been known, but I am curious just far Tomoko's infamy goes there beyond Ucchi herself. Heh, and Ucchi is so clearly angling to be the one cramped in with Tomoko herself in how she goes out of her way to find out where the "incident" occurred. Amusing how she ends up being foiled by Yuri noticing her and trying to hep her not miss what she thinks is Ucchi's actual stop by common sense. Ucchi of course isn't going to tell her real objective (I kind of wonder what Yuri would think fo that), and the made-up excuses don't get her anyway. It's interesting seeing that angry face from Yuri as Ucchi "Tch"'s in response to her help, since it feels we rarely see that kind of face from her.

Nice to get some focus on Itou in the next comic. She's in the school band it looks like, though off practicing on her own with Komiyama around to give her company, since Komi doesn't have library duty. No Sound Eupho-like pressure on her since there's no competition going on. Itou offers to play a song for Komiyama, and while Komiyama thinks it's initially just going to be the classical stuff, she gets surprised when she's more contemporary stuff that's gotten picked out by the baseball team members. When it comes to baseball, we know what Komiyama is going to want. Cute seeing Itou's reaction to just how much Komiyama appreciates her getting to indulge her nerd pleasures. From Itou's thoughts, we get she's been hanging around Komiyama for two years, so seemingly she's been friends ever since the beginning of high school. I would be very curious to see how they got to knowing each other. Yen Press has some translation notes on the songs Komiyama comes across. It's kind of odd how they mention various things about Natsumatsuri (like the 2000 cover by Whiteberry like used in the ReLIFE anime), yet they neglect to mention that it appeared (a Hatsune Miku version) as an ending in one episode of the Watamote anime.

More than a brief appearance of our actual main character in the next comic. Poor Tomoko slips and falls on the stairs while with Yuri and Mako, and catches the fang girl from her class laughing about it. Tomoko's frustrated mutterings about the fang girl causes Yuri to laugh and smile, perplexing Tomoko who didn't really mean anything funny in her vehemence. Yet another uncharacteristic expression from Yuri here, and Mako gets to taking notice about how she's apparently changed due to Kuroki-san which is rather sweet. Tomoko has seemed so accident prone from the start, and it's nice feeling she has people with her in those little mishaps.

Yet another pairing I was really curious about in the next bit, with Okada finding out a little bit about the next year's class roster and being happy she's with Nemoto again. We get to see the full name of their guy friend Yoshinori Kiyota for the first time. Okada doesn't know whether he made it into the same class as them as she didn't see. It's nice to see Nemo is thinking about whether Tomoko is their class, though her insecurities are showing as she thinks Okada might think she's weird if she asks. Though Nemo does hear something she's not happy about: Ogino is back as homeroom teacher. Heh, now it feels like Tomoko has to be in the same class as her again. Neither of them should be able to escape her making them feel awkward.

Nemo is showing off her impersonation skills to her friends. Interesting to see her, while keeping her seiyuu aspirations under wraps, getting to have some fun with some skills she's undoubtedly tried to develop working towards that goal. When the topic of trying to impersonate a classmate comes up, she offers to do Tomoko, and saying stuff in her classic nervous style. Kiyota is impressed yet again, though someone else is more critical. Amusing seeing Okada's shocked face as Ucchi is suddenly right there next to her. Ucchi kind of feels further gone in her Kuroki obsession than even I'd expect at this point. "There's also a certain charm to the creepiness..."

Nemo doesn't hide the fact that she's been impersonating Tomoko (and that it's "a big hit") to Tomoko herself. When Tomoko asks her what's it's like, Tomoko gets something unexpected that scares her: her"middle school gag" apparently. Why does she know? But we saw her doing it during the entrance exams. Feels a bit sweet to know Nemo remembers something from that far back.

This was a very interesting chapter in that it seemed to focus on some of the perspectives of the girls now on the periphery of Tomoko's budding social circle than on Tomoko herself, even if a lot ultimately ties back to her (aside from Komiyama and Itou). I've been curious about all of them though, so I'm happy to see the spread focus.

Comment

• Chapter 118

Ah, very interesting, and Okada chapter. I long wondered what she thought of Tomoko, and that subject finally gets a focus here. Kind of as I though in one regard, she's on her mind because Nemoto talks to her from time to time. But she's not really interested enough to go interact with her unprovoked, and thinks it may soon be the last she sees of Tomoko if they end up in different classes.

But Okada does find something that provokes her to intervene. Heh, it's kind of sweet how she just can't leave the apparent bullying of Tomoko by Yoshida alone. The more interesting thing there is, as she does, Okada seems much more critical of Yuri just standing by there than she is of Yoshida herself. I guess at this point Yuri knows that Yoshida's violent reactions to Tomoko's idiocy aren't going to pass an extreme line (or are they?) Of course the whole incident of Tomoko trying to escape and getting "bullied" is again because she's completely insensitive and tactless regarding Yoshida's kiddy tastes (down to her underwear this time).

Okada looks she feels so danged awkward upon realizing the truth, and immediately seems to hand Tomoko back off to her punishment and walk away. And back in the class, she's still feeling perplexed over what kind of person she is to where she's trying to ask Nemo about her. Tomoko seems to have a way of making people feels at odds over just what to think of her when they finally get to interacting with her. Reminds me, for one instance, of the Mako chapter when Yuri was out sick. I like to see how that shakes out (that ended on a positive misunderstanding, but this time not really as much in Tomoko's favor).

Comment

• Chapter 119

Some of Tomoko's classmates are organizing a wrap party, as some get messages on their phones about it (apparently not Tomoko: of course she not in the "in crowd" LINE), and some of the girls from Ucchi's group announce it in front of the class too on the chalkboard. The idea definitely reminds me of the Christmas party chapter which was a memorable, impactful little one for me, and of course that gets mentioned right away. Interesting how Nemo is really curious on Tomoko's case, wondering if she is not good at parties, since she didn't see her at the Christmas one. Tomoko knows she came, but abandoned ship, after she had hoped to make an impression but was in reality seemingly too anxious about it. It's really sweet, that with the people around her now, she's not just going to duck out of this one so quickly. The imagery in impactful in how it compares, that we see Tomoko looking on at the party from a distance, kind of how she was at the Christmas party, but then Tomoko's friends come by to get her to come in with her. Dawww. Also had to inform mom about missing dinner. Cute how the image for Mom on her phone is mother and daughter from younger days.

Yuri does seem like she's not entirely into the idea of going either, but wants to go since Mako really wants her too. She seems fine in not pushing Tomoko if she's not comfortable with it and was apparently going to try the same with Yoshida but she already left on her. It's neat that on the idea of waiting around until it started, Tomoko actually picks out a place for them, and Yuri and Mako have apparently never been to the arcade, noticing how students from their school are around.

They end up coming across Yoshida playing pachinko Not Tomoko with them at first. I kind of wondered if she was gone because she had gotten scared at seeing Yoshida. More that she was just distracted by things she usually checks out and understandably one to not stick by the group completely. Her reaction to seeing Yuri and Mako around suddenly playing with Yoshida was fun. Tomoko notices Yuri and Yoshida talking to each other but not really making out what they said. It seems that after Yoshida being frankly not into going into the wrap party at first, she had changed her mind by the end. So perhaps something in that conversation was part of it. Very curious, but nice in any case. I had kind of though the wrap party might end up being covered the same chapter, but I like we're completely leading up to it first.

Comment

There's been signs of it before, but it really comes to the fore here.
                              Certainly, we could see Mokotchi maturing emotionally and mentally also in other chapters.

Indeed. That's a type I have quite a soft spot for, like just recently with Saki in Zombie Land Saga.
                              Yeah, Nikaido Saki was a leading member of a biker gang, but she is a warm-hearted person who makes much of friendship.

Comment

• Chapter 117

Yen Press has some translation notes on the songs Komiyama comes across. It's kind of odd how they mention various things about Natsumatsuri (like the 2000 cover by Whiteberry like used in the ReLIFE anime), yet they neglect to mention that it appeared (a Hatsune Miku version) as an ending in one episode of the Watamote anime.
                                Possibly the Yen Press staffers have not seen the WataMote anime?

When Tomoko asks her what's it's like,...
                                Hmm...you mean Tomoko's having asked Nemo what it's like?
                                Methinks the 'Oh, what is it like?' speech balloon in the scene represents what Kato-san is saying. ^_^

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X