Widgets Magazine

Fate of OEL material Tokyo Pop published?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Manga] Fate of OEL material Tokyo Pop published?

Widgets Magazine
    The Comic Journal has an article that provides a bit of a look behind the door and where some of the OEL creators find themselves. There is also alternate Stu Levy praising and bashing at the end of the article for those of you who just want that.

Also of interest is the news that some of the OEL stuff became decently well known it seems in certain foreign markets. Kind of feel bad for the creators if their work is popular there but they are at an impasse right now with TP on how they can go forward.

I'd be surprised if any North American company picked up the rights to TP's OEL titles (but I was never a fan). Hopefully, the creators can find some success in foreign markets, but if not, I guess there's always self-publishing via the web.
    My animé & figure collections
    Hummingbird
    || Tweeterings
    XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Not with the TokyoPop owned properties, no. However, I haven't heard about anything that would keep them from creating new IPs (should have been clearer that's what I was getting at).

I do understand that coming up with the next great idea for a story can be difficult, but it seems like it may be necessary for many of these OEL manga artists if they wish to continue working in the publishing/comics industry.
      My animé & figure collections
      Hummingbird
      || Tweeterings
      XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Originally posted by Betenoire
        They can't even do that. According to the article almost all of them signed contracts granting Tokyo Pop co-ownership of the properties so they are stuck unless they buy the Tokyo Pop out to gain sole possession if the rights.
        One thing I don't get about this is how Brandon Graham was able to do a new King City series for Image, even though Tokyopop should have the rights to it. I guess Image actually had enough money/clout to get the rights from Tokyopop?
        The Post's Most Wanted Manga | Fandom Post -Female Anime Character Ranking-

Avatar: Ange Ushiromiya of Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When the Seagulls Cry).

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X