Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Manga] The Book of Human Insects

Widgets Magazine
    Strange, being a member of this forum doesn't mean you can comment on stuff on the main page. Never noticed that before.

Anyway, I thought I'd make a thread on this because I truly do believe this work has more breakout potential with U.S. readers than some of his previous stuff. It may also be the most intriguing Tezuka work released yet, insofar as the personal connection that Tezuka may have with Tomura that the book jacket alludes to.

Most of the reviews I've read so far remark on how such a horrible person Tomura is, but I'm not sure Tezuka necessarily sees her in the same way. Unusually, Tezuka is more impartial here than in anything I've seen him do previously, where he often inflicts the Hand of Justice as he sees fit. In fact, I can even see points in he story where Tezuka might empathise with his ambitious, shape-changing anti-heroine, even though he makes it very clear that this is not a healthy person for society.

I also disagree with the notion that Tomura doesn't understand the consequence of her actions. Oh, she definitely understands fully how rotten she is, she's just able to slough her conscience off better than the normal person, and most importantly, she doesn't believe in concepts of good or evil, which Tezuka suggests are man-made concepts, and not "natural" ones. For Tomura, it's kill or be killed. That's why she's a sociopath and most of us (hopefully) are not.

Of course, Tezuka was a humanist, so he believed that humans should strive for "goodness" as a concept. But he was also realistic in acknowledging the true nature of humans probably wasn't much far removed from the animal kingdom we're supposedly superior to. I dunno, Tezuka was a pretty complicated guy, probably moreso than Hayao Miyazaki, who's pretty easy to get a handle on.

Re: The Book of Human Insects

Amazon UK just got this in - its wonderful - am still reading it, but have you got a page in the anarchist section that's printed twice, about 10 pages apart? Will find the page numbers when I get home.

Comment

Pages 120-121 are the same art (but not page number) as 130-131. Not spoiling it, but have emailed Vertical to make sure it's just my copy and not all of them before I get it replaced

Comment

Pages 120-121 & 130-131 are different in my copy. Unfortunately, you probably got stuck with a printing error.
        Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

Thanks Junker - good to know. Amazon's replacement policy is superb, so it's no big deal.

Comment

Yeah, other than having to re-box the product, Amazon is great for returns, whether it's actual printing problems or books that just didn't transit so well.
            Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

I also had the printing error in my first copy.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X