Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Novel] Kieli

Widgets Magazine
    I've been trying to clear out the backlog of novels that I haven't read yet. I had Rocket Girls, Kieli, and Spice and Wolf and I wasn't sure where to start. A couple of coin flips later and I decided to check out Kieli first.

Since I had read the Manga a few years ago, I knew about the general plot of the series. A girl who can speak to the dead works together with an immortal soldier who is hunted by the Church.

Volume 1 pretty much followed the manga (well, the other way around, but since I read the novel after the manga...). It starts off with Kieli in the orphanage, moves onto a train ride with various stops and encounters with ghosts, then ends with fight in a graveyard.

This volume does a good job of drawing a picture of each location that Kieli and Harvey visit except for the end. The graveyard was pretty ambiguous when it was described. was it inside of a cave or was it an open field at the end of a tunnel behind a mountain. Was this the

Spoiler ->graveyard that Harvey died in originally or is it just a location where he remembers killing a lot of soldiers.

It appears that, by design, in the first novel the dead were more developed than the living in terms of the plot. While there were frequent visits with the living, there longest and most detailed encounters were with those not living. The novel was well written to be somewhere in between a horror novel and traveling story. The author definitely wanted to make the world a dark and gloomy, but hopeful place. There were gruesome descriptions of even normal non-threatening things such as the clown juggler and the old house Harvey stayed in. There was a good amount of damage and devastation depicted as well.

Spoiler ->Harvey getting hit by the train saving the possessed Kieli; Becky's face melting as she recalls her own death; Harvey and company hunting down and killing the platoon that the Corporal was part of; lying undead under a mountain of corpses while bugs eat away at you; Having limbs blown off by a carbonization gun; being blasted into a wall by a soundwave strong enough to shatter a skull; and other things

At the end of it all, however people still lived their lives and moved about in a normal pace which appeared to highlight the differences between those would could not speak to the dead and those that could.

I really liked this novel. I'd have to say if you can stomach a bit of descriptive detailing of death scenes, the first volume is something that's well worth reading. The author doesn't shy away from violence, but it isn't the main focus of the story either. There's a nice balance between the different elements. It also helps that the title character is likeable and level-headed for the most part. The other two main characters are also a good balance of personalities which helps.
    Figure Enthusiast
    Moderator: Comics, Movies, General Anime, Off-topic, Gaming Goodness

Re: Kieli

I'm ashamed to say that I've been buying each novel as it's released, but have yet to read a single word of any of them. I too read the manga first, which is what got me interested, and I'm always willing to support a company's effort at publishing light novels (even if I continue to be let down by how many are canceled due to low sales). There are quite a few Kieli novels, so purely on principle (I can't speak for the content, obviously), I hope they're selling well for Yen Press so we can continue to see the rest of them released.

I, uh... I suppose I should really start reading them now.
    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
    Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

I’ve read them all up till the latest, which isn’t out yet. They continue to be a mix of melancholy and graphic horror, set in a bleak world. For every little spec of hope they throw at you, the longer the series goes on more I wonder how the characters are going to be able to ever actually enjoy their lives for any reasonable length of time. I really enjoy the series, even if the relationship stuff gets repetitive at times.

Comment

I've read the US-released novels except for the latest (v04). (I have it just haven't read it yet.) I suppose we should probably separate this thread into individual volume discussions like we do for anime episodes if we want to discuss a particular volume in detail. However, I will make 1 general comment about volumes 2 and higher. Volume 1 reads very much like a collection of short stories held together by the recurring main characters. That changes for volume 2 and later when there's much more of a sense of a single major plot line running through each book.
        Last edited by LKK; 09-15-2011, 08:40 AM.
        Avatar: Ahiru and Fakir of Princess Tutu | My manga list | My anime DVD list

Comment

Thanks for posting your review of KIELI v1. I can't remember if I started with the two manga volumes, or with the first novel, but I loved the story. I've been buying each novel as it comes out, and I just ordered the fifth novel a few days ago, as the TRSI/Yen studio sale was ending. TRSI should be getting that book in soon, and I look forward to its arrival on my doorstep... ^_^

Comment

Apropos of nothing, I have to say that I also really like the straightforward yet lyrical volume titles. They're simply accurate translations/transliterations of the Japanese volume titles, sure, but in either language, there's just something about them that sets them apart, even if the wording arguably isn't really that remarkable.
            asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
            Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
            Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Kieli volume 2

Onward into volume 2. Normally I don't read a single novel back to back, but in this case I just felt like continuing with Kieli. Anyway, if the last volume's theme was trains, this one was definitely ships. Lots more death and dying in this one. If you are creeped out by dolls, I would definitely suggest skipping this one as well since dolls are the major sub theme after ships.

A few things bothered me about this one. If most of the world in this universe is covered in sand, when why do they feel the need to append sand to everything. "Sand mole, Sand ship, Sand Ocean, etc" Sand should be a given. We don't say "water sea, water mole, water ship." although we may say seaship, and sea otter, but even then it's more common to leave the descriptor out. It just seems strange unless they have water seas in addition to sandseas and they like to make the distinction. Maybe they want to distinguish themselves from the spaceship that brought them to this planet. Who knows.

Another thing that bothered me is

Spoiler ->the location of the collection point "the final destination" of the sea. At first Kabei makes it seem like a far away spot that would take a while to drift to, but then Harvey and Kieli make the journey to the location and back in less than a day's time. How small is this planet that is mostly sea, yet can easily be traveled in a few days. To give an example, they say it takes ten days to cross the sea to South-hairo. That is about the amount of time it takes to sail across the Atlantic. However they get dumped overboard on day 5, get picked up by the Sandwalker on day six or seven. How long was Kieli out before she woke up? I could just be forgetting that part. Anyway, they spend a day on the Sandwalker, so that would be day eight, discover the Sand Mole's birthplace, get cast overboard, drift to the collection point, then manage to row (they obviously couldn't drift since drifting would take you to the collection point) their way back to a point where the Sand Mole's Seventh Son can find them lost at sea for only three days as notated by "Glasses". That seems absurd. Even if you trim back a day from the Sandwalker and assume she was only in a coma for the first part of day six, that still doesn't seem pheasible.

Another thing to note is that

Spoiler ->someone or something dies every chapter

which is very different form the first volume.

Chapter 1

Spoiler ->the tin sailor dolls and the robot "die" although the robot hand lives on with Harvey to protect Kieli

Chapter 2

Spoiler ->The bird that Julius kills. Quite spectacularly too. Technically Harvey dies in this chapter from the curse bird as well since those injuries as they described weren't exactly minor

Chapter 3

Spoiler ->This was the first full on horror chapter IMO. The description of the sailor who got dragged into the gears was pretty good, but having the dead hand grab Kieli's leg was good too. I like this chapter a lot.

Chapter 4

Spoiler ->Harvey dies and the Corporal "dies". The strange thing about the corporal breaking is that his soul wasn't tied to the radio previously. He actually possessed Harvey before. The radio was just a conduit for his voice, so the fact that he completely lost all knowledge of events that happened after the radio broke was really strange IMO

Chapter 5

Spoiler ->Tori Peri and the old women technically "died" in this chapter, although they were already dead.

Chapter 6

Spoiler ->Harvey dies (again), then Kieli's mother and maybe her father. I've honestly been wonder if Kieli's father was an undying before this particular chapter since seeing the dead seems to be one of their abilities, but I guess this won't be answered solidly until a future volume. If I was an undying, I don't know if I'd want to have a kid that I would watch grow old and die right before my eyes. It's bad enough watching your other loved ones die around you without it being your child. Then again, that question hasn't been answered definitively yet and we don't know for sure if Jude is dead either. Just Kieli's mother

Overall I believe it was a better story than the first volume, but because it was a complete story the tiny inconsistencies bugged me more than they did in the last volume. I'm a bit torn as to what to think about this volume, but I do like it. I'll probably read it again before starting on volume 3.
              Figure Enthusiast

Comment

Re: Kieli volume 2

Originally posted by Gatts View Post
                Onward into volume 2.

A few things bothered me about this one. If most of the world in this universe is covered in sand, when why do they feel the need to append sand to everything. "Sand mole, Sand ship, Sand Ocean, etc" Sand should be a given. We don't say "water sea, water mole, water ship." although we may say seaship, and sea otter, but even then it's more common to leave the descriptor out. It just seems strange unless they have water seas in addition to sandseas and they like to make the distinction. Maybe they want to distinguish themselves from the spaceship that brought them to this planet. Who knows.

Another thing that bothered me is

Spoiler ->the location of the collection point "the final destination" of the sea. At first Kabei makes it seem like a far away spot that would take a while to drift to, but then Harvey and Kieli make the journey to the location and back in less than a day's time. How small is this planet that is mostly sea, yet can easily be traveled in a few days. To give an example, they say it takes ten days to cross the sea to South-hairo. That is about the amount of time it takes to sail across the Atlantic. However they get dumped overboard on day 5, get picked up by the Sandwalker on day six or seven. How long was Kieli out before she woke up? I could just be forgetting that part. Anyway, they spend a day on the Sandwalker, so that would be day eight, discover the Sand Mole's birthplace, get cast overboard, drift to the collection point, then manage to row (they obviously couldn't drift since drifting would take you to the collection point) their way back to a point where the Sand Mole's Seventh Son can find them lost at sea for only three days as notated by "Glasses". That seems absurd. Even if you trim back a day from the Sandwalker and assume she was only in a coma for the first part of day six, that still doesn't seem pheasible.

I just took this as

Spoiler -> the author either being not that great at distances or the vortex isn’t at the actual end of the ocean, they just happened to be somewhat close to where it was.

Chapter 4

Spoiler ->Harvey dies and the Corporal "dies". The strange thing about the corporal breaking is that his soul wasn't tied to the radio previously. He actually possessed Harvey before. The radio was just a conduit for his voice, so the fact that he completely lost all knowledge of events that happened after the radio broke was really strange IMO

I think at some point Harvey or Kieli comment on that.

Spoiler -> It’s mentioned that the Corporal seems to be physically attached to the radio now, him having possessed it for so long. If the radio is off, the Corporal doesn’t know what’s happening around him and he’s basically unconscious.

I agree though, very violent and spooky volume. =)

Comment

It's been a while since I read volume 2. But what I remember is that

Spoiler ->I found all the going back and forth was confusing. Didn't they end up essentially where they began?

Avatar: Ahiru and Fakir of Princess Tutu | My manga list | My anime DVD list

Comment

Originally posted by LKK View Post
                    It's been a while since I read volume 2. But what I remember is that

Spoiler ->I found all the going back and forth was confusing. Didn't they end up essentially where they began?

Spoiler ->No, they made it across the sand ocean to South-Hairo from what I could tell. Or do you mean when they went adrift? The part where they were adrift was rather confusing.

Here are the things that I remember for sure:

Spoiler ->1) Julius had the Sand Mole's Seventh Son start searching for Kieli and they were searching for three days. Of course we don't know how many days it took before he realized she was missing. Maybe a day at most considering how often he went down to third class to look for her. I'll give it a fourth day for leeway.

2) Kieli was in a coma after she was possessed and we don't know for how long..

3) They weren't adrift for too long on the Sand Ocean because a. Harvey's wounds hadn't healed. b. Kieli didn't starve or become totally dehydrated in her coma (I'm guessing there's not a lot of water in a sand ocean and I doubt the Sandwalker had an IV to drip feed her) I give that time period as a few hours.

4) They were on the Sandwalker for at least a day playing cards while the sailors prepared to set the coffins onboard adrift. During that day, they had to be sailing away from South-hairo since the Sandwalker came from that direction.

5) The day after in the early morning the coffins were set adrift and they later ran into the ghost ship where Kieli found the doll possessed by her mother.

6) They were caught up in the whole "Ol Han harpooning Harvey" thing later in the same day. Ka Rif helps Kieli. Then Kieli's mother calls out a sand worm to drag the line that Harvey was harpooned with.

7) They are adrift again and reach some sort of collection point and Kieli's mother's spirit passes on. (is this the same day or the next day? Again they couldn't have been adrift too long since Harvey's stomach wound wasn't fully healed and Kieli didn't dehydrate) This has to be either late day two or early day three to make any sense timeline wise.

8) They are finally rescued by Julius who commandeered the Sand Mole's Seventh Son to look for Kieli after "three days" of searching (although as best as I can tell it had to, at the very least, be day four of them being lost. I really can't imaging everything that went on in the sandwalker happening all in the same day. Especially with the passage of time over the course of the card game alone and the sailors taking shifts piloting the ship while the other crew members slept.

Figure Enthusiast

Comment

Volume 3 While Volume 1 was Trains and Volume 2 was Boats (or sand ships), Volume 3 was three wheeled bikes as the preferred method of transportation. Since the entire story took place in one area, the supporting cast was a bit more involved than Julius and Glasses were. This volume was a lot less violent than the previous volume, but there was a lot more movement in terms of plot. I'll make some more comments later after I've think about it for a while.
                      Figure Enthusiast

Comment

Kieli volume 3

So here we are a month later and I finally have some time to type up what I thought about Kieli volume 3.

Chapter 1

Spoiler ->I'm working from a month old memory here, but I guess most of you are working on a year old memory so it probably not that bad. Anyway, Harvey saves Kieli from a Ghost that's trying to drop things on her head because she is bored with her daily routine. Eventually Harvey convinces the ghost's parents to let her go outside and she disappears after getting a chance to see the ruins. When she leaves, she asks Harvey to like the city in her place since she can't do it anymore.

I thought this was a pretty good chapter, but a bit drawn out. Also I think this is the first time we got to see things purely from Harvey's point of view. The swapping back and forth between Kieli working at Suzie and Buzz's diner and Harvey stuck in the apartment was a bit abrupt at times in that you would forget what was happening in one scene when you switched back to it so it took a bit to recall. I think Kabei made it a bit too obvious that the lady that Kieli ran into was an undying, but it's pretty strange that there was that violent of a crash (hard enough to dent a fender) with that many people around and no one noticed it. Especially when they made it obvious that the lady really stood out because of her looks.

This was also the chapter where Harvey can't make it to Kieli's birthday celebration because he's busy taking care of the ghost that's trying to hurt her.

Chapter 2

Spoiler ->This chapter was really short. If I remember correctly all that happened was Kieli was tasked by Suzie to deliver some food to a writer who use to come to the diner. He had a possessed typewriter that tried to attack Kieli, but they got away. Also I remember that Kieli looked a bit like Suzie's daughter according to some regular customers, but that point never gets brought up again. I'm guessing it may become important in another book, so I filed it away in the back of my head. Of course, it's also possible that it may never come up again. The other thing I remember about this chapter was Harvey kicking the crap out of the writer when Kieli got hurt.

Overall I felt this was a "meh" chapter. It was a bit too short to really get much out of it and the write wasn't interesting enough to hold my attention. I think this was also the chapter when Harvey was going to sell the Corporal to the antique collector, but that may have been the next chapter.

Chapter 3

Spoiler ->This is the chapter where everything starts moving. We meet up with the lady Kieli ran into in chapter 1, Beatrix, and a conflict ensues because Harvey is looking into things without telling Kieli what, why or how. Eventually it turns into an argument with the Corporal and Harvey then again with Harvey and Kieli where Kieli falls down the stairs and bangs her head.

This was a good chapter although I think the Corporal was a bit over the top with what he was doing. Firing off random compressed blasts might be okay for Harvey, but he blew the door off of the apartment which seemed a bit over the top for him especially considering that Kieli could have been walking in the door at that time. Plus how much pressure can that speaker handle?

It's amazing that people in that universe aren't aware of spirits considering they seem to be able to freely interact with anything in that universe. There was the ghost in the first volume that possessed three wheel cars and caused them to crash which was when Kieli meet Jochiam. Then in the second volume you had the spirit of the dead bird that was shattering anything that could break. Now in this volume, you have ghosts dropping physical objects out of the window (like knives) or throwing plates and to top it off, you have a radio blasting down doors. These don't seem like isolated incidents and most aren't directly related to Kieli so they could be happening anywhere. You would think the church would at least put out warnings for people not to do certain things like kill birds with toy rifles unless you want to be possessed. That in particular seems like it would get more than a few children killed annually. Anyway, back to the story.

I thought Kieli was being a bit stubborn when dealing with Beatrix, but then I had to think that she's only 15 so I guess it wasn't too bad. It would have been nice if one of the characters in this story actually took the time to think things through before they jumped to conclusions, but where would the fun be in that? Now Harvey is depressed because he hurt Kieli unintentionally and Beatrix has a bit "I told you so" moment, all the while, no one is thinking of future consequences.

Chapter 4

Spoiler ->This chapter confused me a bit. Harvey runs off then the crazy old guy from chapter 2 sees him and shots at him with a carbonization gun. What I don't understand is why the local militia allowed someone to just grab their gun, take aim, and start firing at another person for no reason. They were hunting for Beatrix, but they just let random people shoot at other people. Then afterwards, they suspect Harvey is in cahoots with the crazy guy who shot him, but in cahoots to do what exactly and why, if you are working with someone, would you let them fire on you with a carbonization gun? There was just a ton of things that didn't make any sense about the entire exchange.

Another problem I couldn't figure out is that they had Kieli and Beatrix surrounded with Beatrix having only one leg, yet for some reason they escape. Yes I know Kieli turned the three wheel bike against them, but really if they were "surrounded" then the bike should have only scattered a few of them. Also there's only so fast you can get away carrying someone with one leg. I couldn't mentally vizualize how they managed to get out of that situation with 20 or so people chasing them.

Then to the space ship ruins where Harvey some how gets overpowered by the crazy guy. That entire fight bugged me since these undying are portrayed as super weapons capable of defeating entire Armys with just a group of three, but they fall apart quite easily. They can also be neutralized by "current" technology, but technology back during the lost times wasn't able to stop them? It seems a bit too easy to stop one from moving long enough to remove their heart. Jochiam did it in the first volume (although he was an undying as well). Ol Han did it rather easily in the second volume as well. Now a crazy guy did it in a straight up fight one on one. I know part of the problem is that it was harder to take them down and keep them down, but seriously, set up a couple of good snipers, take out their arms and legs, then have a ground unit take out their heart. They don't heal instantly and they didn't travel in large numbers from the flashbacks we've seen so far.

For some reason I don't feel we are getting the entire story. The only thing I can think of is that there were so many dead people littering the battle field that you couldn't tell who was a normal soldier and who was an undying and you didn't want to take the time to remove everyone's heart after a battle.

Again, back to the story. So Harvey gets captured. Beatrix and Kieli get saved by Buzz and everyone is out hunting for Undying and all thanks to poor planning on Harvey's part mixed in with a crazy guy who randomly shot at him.

Chapter 5

Spoiler ->
                        So it all comes down to this, Harvey's power source is damage probably permanently. The Ruins have moved to a new location. Beatrix is stuck with Kieli and Buzz and Suzie should be fugitives (seriously how could no one notice that Buzz was driving a truck next to the collapsing ruins?)

There's a ton of questions I have. Could this guy could partially see his dead sister through his eye piece or was he just imagining things?

Wouldn't it be better if the Church just hired undying to speak with the spirits of the dead? There should be a ton of information that they could get from dead scientists and it would be a lot easier than hunting undying to just hire a few to transfer knowledge from the dead to the living.

Why the heck was Harvey trying so hard to pull this guy up? Again that whole problem with thinking ahead again. The arm he was using was his mechanical arm which doesn't regenerate. If you are going to try to pull someone up, then at least use the arm that will fix itself.

Just how fast was the Ruins falling towards the city? It seems like the events that were going on after the explosion of power from Harvey's power source took at least an hour considering, there was the explosion, then Harvey trying to save the guy, then Kieli searching around the ship will it was falling for Harvey, them meeting up finally, Buzz and Beatrix catching up to them, the long drawn out process of getting Kieli to realize that she needed to leave since she could die and Harvey would not. Followed by Harvey and the Corporal limping back to the center of the ship to blow up what was left of the reactor core. All of that happened while the ruins where sliding towards South Hairo which seemed like and excessive amount of time, but in the end they didn't even make it to the outskirts of town, which leads me to believe that either the ruins were pretty darn far away from town, or it wasn't falling all that quickly. I'm thinking it was moving at about the speed of an avalanche, which a slow one is around 30 miles per hour. If the ruins where 30 miles away that would give enough time for all of the things described to happen, but all of the descriptions from earlier in the volume made it seem much closer. This is the same problem that I had with the "collection point" as described in volume 2.

If there's one thing that bugs me about Kieli is the lack of Spatial/Temporal awareness.

I know I should just overlook some of these minor details, but they always bug me. Baring that, I do like the characters, except for their lack of common sense in general. I understand why Kieli reacts the way she does. She's still young so I can forgive that from her, but the older characters tend to make the same types of basic mistakes that shouldn't be made by people who have lived hundreds of years, but I guess that's what makes it entertaining to read. If they did think things through properly, then there wouldn't be any driving force to the story.
                        Figure Enthusiast

Comment

Re: Kieli volume 3

So here we are a month later and I finally have some time to type up what I thought about Kieli volume 3.
                          Chapter 5

Spoiler ->
                          Wouldn't it be better if the Church just hired undying to speak with the spirits of the dead? There should be a ton of information that they could get from dead scientists and it would be a lot easier than hunting undying to just hire a few to transfer knowledge from the dead to the living.

I don't think being able to see the dead is a common thing, kinda like the number of people in our world that have personally claimed to seen a ghost. Nobody in Kieli's church in the first volume could see that dead hanging guy. Kieli and Harvey are the exception to the rule.

Spoiler ->
                          Just how fast was the Ruins falling towards the city? It seems like the events that were going on after the explosion of power from Harvey's power source took at least an hour considering, there was the explosion, then Harvey trying to save the guy, then Kieli searching around the ship will it was falling for Harvey, them meeting up finally, Buzz and Beatrix catching up to them, the long drawn out process of getting Kieli to realize that she needed to leave since she could die and Harvey would not. Followed by Harvey and the Corporal limping back to the center of the ship to blow up what was left of the reactor core. All of that happened while the ruins where sliding towards South Hairo which seemed like and excessive amount of time, but in the end they didn't even make it to the outskirts of town, which leads me to believe that either the ruins were pretty darn far away from town, or it wasn't falling all that quickly. I'm thinking it was moving at about the speed of an avalanche, which a slow one is around 30 miles per hour. If the ruins where 30 miles away that would give enough time for all of the things described to happen, but all of the descriptions from earlier in the volume made it seem much closer. This is the same problem that I had with the "collection point" as described in volume 2.

Spoiler ->

Not falling, running along the ground. The rocket was 'baring down' on the town, but on it's side, like a train, along flat ground. At least, from what I can recall... it's been awhile. I'd have to go back and reread the description of the edge of town.

If there's one thing that bugs me about Kieli is the lack of Spatial/Temporal awareness.

I know I should just overlook some of these minor details, but they always bug me. Baring that, I do like the characters, except for their lack of common sense in general. I understand why Kieli reacts the way she does. She's still young so I can forgive that from her, but the older characters tend to make the same types of basic mistakes that shouldn't be made by people who have lived hundreds of years, but I guess that's what makes it entertaining to read. If they did think things through properly, then there wouldn't be any driving force to the story.
                          Oh man, the Termeraire novels with the dragons? Really terrible at spatial awareness. Dragons seem to keep changing sizes. Yeah, Kieli, Harvey and Beatrice are failures at communication. If they're only stop being so stubborn most of their problems probably wouldn't exist.
                          Last edited by Sonicbug; 11-12-2011, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Re: Kieli volume 3

Originally posted by Sonicbug View Post
                            Chapter 5

Spoiler ->

I don't think being able to see the dead is a common thing, kinda like the number of people in our world that have personally claimed to seen a ghost. Nobody in Kieli's church in the first volume could see that dead hanging guy. Kieli and Harvey are the exception to the rule.
                            Not quite the case.

Spoiler ->All undying so far have been able to see and communicate with the dead. Harvey, Beatrix (the corporal and the "witch of Toulouse" although that's technical vol 4 stuff), and Joachim (the ghost in volume 1 who was causing the cars to wreck). Also in addition to Kieli, the professor who worked for the church's undying research department knew about spirits since he was trying to reanimate the spirit of his dead sister. Considering the amount of resources and amount of knowledge that the church collects, and the fact that he probably didn't develop the device to see spirits on his own, I'm pretty sure the church is well aware of spirits. Why they don't use that knowledge and have the people who can communicate with spirits directly transfer lost knowledge and information is beyond my understanding.

Spoiler ->

Spoiler ->

Not falling, running along the ground. The rocket was 'baring down' on the town, but on it's side, like a train, along flat ground. At least, from what I can recall... it's been awhile. I'd have to go back and reread the description of the edge of town.

Spoiler ->Even still, it was moving fast enough that they couldn't just jump off of it. You can jump off of something going 10~15 mph (20 or so KPH) without sustaining major injury. Unfortunately the ruins of the spaceship were moving fast enough that Harvey didn't feel safe jumping off of while carrying Kieli and they also had to run along side of it with Buzz's three wheeled truck and perform a toss and catch with Beatrix to get her off safely. Again, it would definitely need to be moving at a decent speed which makes you wonder how far away it was from the town.

Figure Enthusiast

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X