X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kimagure Orange Road classic manga Kickstarter

Widgets Magazine
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-classic-manga

Publish Kimagure Orange Road (Classic Manga)
    by digitalmanga

Let’s Re-Publish “Kimagure Orange Road”! The classic 80’s manga fan favorite.

Hello everyone and thank you for tuning into Digital Manga’s latest Kickstarter campaign. We have started our crowd-funding endeavors, a few years ago, primarily with publishing classic manga from the Tezuka library. Now we’re confident to expand to other manga genres. One of those genres we’re tackling with this campaign is to publish the shounen manga, Kimagure Orange Road, for print and digital formats.

[...]

Our initial goal of $34,900, will cover the very first omnibus vol.1 (Collecting the vol.1-3 from the original Japanese edition release.), with Omnibus, 2,3,4,5,6 , as stretch goals. The stretch goal for omnibus vol.2 will be at $56,900; omnibus vol.3 at $74,900; omnibus vol.4 at $89,900; omnibus vol.5 at $105,900; and omnibus vol.6 at $119,900. As each additional volume stretch goal is met, you would be able to add-on them to your pledge (Some reward tiers are excluded). New reward tiers will be available once all the stretch goals are met. (Feel free to upgrade your reward tier to the new stretch goal tiers once they’re achieved.)

Basic Specs For Omnibus Vol.1 :
    -Antique Natural paper stock—(For that classic retro feel!!)
    -Size: (5-1/8” x 7-3/16”) (B6 size)
    -Language: Localized (translated) to English
    -Right to Left Manga reading format
    -Pages: avg.~550pgs ea. omnibus
    -MSRP: $24.95
    -Rated 13+
    -Release date: Omnibus 1 ~Aug.-Dec.2016 ; Stretch Goal: Omnibus 2-6 ~Dec.2016
    -Re-localized for Omnibus Print Editions

Re: Kimagure Orange Road classic manga Kickstarter

What a frustrating Kickstarter.

I'd love to own a good, physical release of Kimagure Orange Road. What I don't want are 550-page, 5x7-inch paper bricks. I also don't trust Digital Manga Publishing would go ahead and print any volumes that failed to meet their stretch goals. Part of me does want to make a decision based on funding by the last hours of the campaign, but I just hate the experience of reading omnibus releases, more so once they've hit the realm of 500 pages.
    Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

*gasp*

I've been wanting to own this series for years! While I'm also not a huge fan of the omnibus format, I'll take what I can get. They have my money, and I sure hope that all the volumes will be funded.
      "The woman I love burns with jealousy, leaps to conclusions, cries, and turns to ice, but when she laughs, the world is mine." - Yusaku Godai from Maison Ikkoku

Comment

^ Considering there's 40 days, I'd hope that would be enough time, but we'll see. I'm trying to figure out which tier I want (and can afford ).

Comment

DMP tend to use stretch goals for other campaigns to get books printed as well so I would fully expect even if this doesn't reach every goal that the non funded volumes will get second chances later on.

I was considering backing this but for international backers the shipping is outrageous, even at the basic $30 pledge it's $30 for shipping. Which is insane even for a 3 in 1 omnibus volume.
          Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

So... how long is it going to take them to print all of those anyway. I mean normally an 18 volume manga comes out over like 2-3 years (unless it's the accelerated Naruto or One Piece volumes). Also $120,000 seems like a pretty high goal for 1 manga series. And the bonuses don't have anything to do with KOR! I mean Vampire Hunter D drawings and Naruto cels? What the heck?!

Comment

So... how long is it going to take them to print all of those anyway. I mean normally an 18 volume manga comes out over like 2-3 years (unless it's the accelerated Naruto or One Piece volumes).
              If the Kickstarter page is to be believed, Digital Manga's target date is December 2016. Since the six volumes they'd be creating aren't heading to retail, there's no reason the campaign pledges couldn't be fulfilled in a short period of time. Also, Digital Manga handled the existing digital version of the series, currently available on their eManga site; it probably won't require all that much work to create an updated localization, even less so if they're spreading it across their freelance guild.

And the bonuses don't have anything to do with KOR! I mean Vampire Hunter D drawings and Naruto cels? What the heck?!
              To be fair, most of the items are KOR related; but Digital Manga also runs an online store, Akadot, and was behind the recent VHD manga. They're basically just trying to further entice people with potentially interesting items lying around their offices and warehouse.
              Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

I am ridiculously excited for this! I've waited 20+ years for a physical English release of KOR and even if we only get just the first volume, that will more than we've ever had in the US.

The campaign is already doing pretty well for just a few days in and with more than 30 days left, it has a chance of hitting at least half of its goals. I pledged to get one of the sets with the bonus CD and art books.

Comment

Whatever. I pledged $30. I've wanted a physical release of this for a while now. The series kinda reminds me of Maison Ikkoku.
                  Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

I...don't know. I have both the Japanese release and their previous digital release. I'm not sure I want the paper cubes, and their digital quality is so terrible that I hate paying a price premium. Not sure it's worth it just for a new translation.

Comment

My biggest issue on it is the price. I don't have an issue with the $25 MSRP; I do have an issue with the cheapest tier to get one being $30. I also expect that when they get the stretch goals, they'd also be $30 add-ons. With just a Got Anime discount, I could get them for about $17 each at RightStuf once they get around to releasing them. Give me a $120 tier that gets me all 6, and we'd have a deal.
                      -dunno001
                      -Here, kity, kitty, kitty...
                      -Moderator for US region, General anime, Off-topic, Gaming, Manga, and Site news forums

Comment

Originally posted by dunno001 View Post
                        My biggest issue on it is the price. I don't have an issue with the $25 MSRP; I do have an issue with the cheapest tier to get one being $30. I also expect that when they get the stretch goals, they'd also be $30 add-ons. With just a Got Anime discount, I could get them for about $17 each at RightStuf once they get around to releasing them. Give me a $120 tier that gets me all 6, and we'd have a deal.
                        Digital Manga has NOT made ANY of their recent kickstarter funded books available outside their store so I would expect that if you don't pledge on the kickstarter, you'd have to get the books from Akadot instead. I do agree that I wish that it was closer to $120 to get everything, but I want a print copy and don't want to have to order it through Akadot to get the books either.

...Yeah.

In other news, volume 1 is in the bag from the looks of it.

Comment

Yeah, they posted this in the comments section:

The print copies will be printed, enough just to fill Backer pledges, and possibly 1-2% extra over run to cover lost orders, damages, and any other unexpected need for replacement copies, etc.
                          Any excess inventory will eventually be sold at our online retail, akadot.com, but at a much later date...and probably no where else...so it may be a gamble to wait, as chances are you may be able to get some of the volumes, or none at all...
                          "The woman I love burns with jealousy, leaps to conclusions, cries, and turns to ice, but when she laughs, the world is mine." - Yusaku Godai from Maison Ikkoku

Comment

It's now funded. Currently at $34,903 with 387 backers with 35 days left. 1st stretch goal(for Volume 2) is $56,900.

Comment

I'm taking the chance that the later volumes will be published, and put my support in. I already have the Spanish edition published by Ediciones Glenat España, but would prefer an English version since it's my first language

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X