Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Musume: Sell Me or Scare Me

Widgets Magazine
    Can anyone recommend Monster Musume? After seeing ANN's Field Guide to Dating Monster Girls, I'm curious. Looks like a cute series.

Any thoughts? And is there an overall plot? More importantly, does it allow the relationships to develop, or (like Ah! My Goddess) does it trap them at a preliminary stage?

Monsters in mini-skirts!

Monsters--they're real, and they want to date us! Three years ago, the world learned that harpies, centaurs, catgirls, and all manners of fabulous creatures are not merely fiction; they are flesh and blood--not to mention scale, feather, horn, and fang. Thanks to the "Cultural Exchange Between Species Act," these once-mythical creatures have assimilated into society, or at least, they're trying.

When a hapless human teenager named Kurusu Kimihito is inducted as a "volunteer" into the government exchange program, his world is turned upside down. A snake-like lamia named Miia comes to live with him, and it is Kurusu's job to take care of her and make sure she integrates into his everyday life. Unfortunately for Kurusu, Miia is undeniably sexy, and the law against interspecies breeding is very strict. Even worse, when a ravishing centaur girl and a flirtatious harpy move in, what's a full-blooded teenage human with raging hormones to do?!
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Re: Monster Musume: Sell Me or Scare Me

So . . . any thoughts?
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Each character is unique and charming in their own way. I love the series first and foremost for the characters. It's heavy on the ecchi. As for the relationships, they're all mostly comedic and nothing too serious. The author continually rolls out genius characters and situations. Never short on laughs.

It's just a really fun and creative series.
      Avatar: Tomo Takino - Azumanga Daioh

Comment

Having followed the series through fan translations and (for now) up to the current US volume, I'd peg MonMusu as a formulaic harem comedy, with a decent amount of bare breasts and overtly sexual themes thrown in for good measure. Putting aside the monster aspect, I wouldn't say there's much novel about the series, but the situational comedy is presented well enough for the female characters to carry things.

Not surprisingly, the main females characters and their individual personalities are the primary draw. The girls are a fairly identifiable mishmash of Japanese pop-culture archetypes, and chapters generally boil down to the cast getting throw into unexpected situations, all the while highlighting the girls' various attributes, whether it's the outgoing chick getting angry whenever someone flirts with her intended man or the gruff older-sister type showing she's really sweet and caring. As for the main male character, he's mostly been a cipher for the reader; I can only guess he'll receive a bit more development, once the series enters its home stretch.

The artwork is certainly part of the series' appeal, and overall, I find in MonMusu a comfortable and at best competently executed concept, wrapped in an attractive package.

The anime has been a pretty close adaptation, so (if possible) you could also check-out the free simulcasts to get a better feel for the manga's content.

Speaking on the US edition, if you're particularly sensitive to liberally localized text, you may want to try previewing a bit of the domestic product, before plopping down too much money. Seven Seas has made some choices I find especially grating. The most notable issues are the constant puns and referential dialogue related to the girls' animal backgrounds. Things like the spider-woman saying "itsy bitsy," the centaur always using "neigh," or the stinger copy on the back of Volume #6 that reads "Headless Whoresman." There are definitely instances of somewhat similar content appearing in the original Japanese, but the English version can be eye-rolling as it verges on excessive. I'd also suggest the English text has in spots been noticeably punched-up to make characters seem more extroverted (or maybe more Western) in their speech and reactions.

I'll be the first to admit lately I'm often at odds with what companies and some of the current fan base think makes for appropriate localization. My problem with Seven Seas' take on MonMusu (and in all honesty, some of their other recent titles, particularly comedies) is too often I immediately realize I'm reading heavily messaged text, before ever needing to check another source. To me these decisions are glaring and intrusive. I fully recognize there are people who love how Seven Seas is handling this series, but I do think it's worth considering and doing a bit of research, if your feelings might be at all similar to mine.
        Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X