Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recs for Higurashi?

Widgets Magazine
    Can anyone recommend the Higurashi (a.k.a. When They Cry) manga? Strengths, weaknesses, interesting points? And could you explain the proper order to read them in?
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Re: Recs for Higurashi?

I'd recommend the Higurashi manga highly! I'm a big fan of the series, and I've reread the manga multiple times. My favorite elements of it are:
    1. Loveable characters with emotional depth.
    2. Complex mystery spread over many volumes, that actually has a satisfying resolution.
    3. You can tell it's the heart-felt work of a doujin author. It has a lot of depth and messages the author wanted to get across, not just some cheap hack work to sell merchandise.

It's not quite as good as playing the original visual novels (with patches to improve the translation and restore music removed from MangaGamer's English release), but it's a much shorter time investment. And, it's definitely better than the anime for two main reasons:
    1. The manga has a lot of details cut out by the anime.
    2. It gives you a better "internal view" of the character's minds. This is easy to do in text, but a lot harder in video media like the anime. The manga preserves more of the series emotional impact, which is the best part of the series.

Yen Press has a series order, though I'd recommend reading the arcs in a slightly different order than theirs. They released a side arc early on, which I think is better read later in the series. My recommended order is this:

HIGURASHI WHEN THEY CRY Abducted by Demons Arc (Yen Press series #1-2)
    HIGURASHI WHEN THEY CRY Cotton Drifting Arc (Yen Press series #3-4)
    HIGURASHI WHEN THEY CRY Curse Killing Arc (Yen Press series #5-6)
    HIGURASHI WHEN THEY CRY Time Killing Arc (Yen Press series #7-8)
    HIGURASHI WHEN THEY CRY Eye Opening Arc (Yen Press series #11-14)
    HIGURASHI WHEN THEY CRY Atonement Arc (Yen Press series #15-18)
    HIGURASHI WHEN THEY CRY Beyond Midnight Arc (Yen Press series #9-10) (* Optional to "main story")
    HIGURASHI WHEN THEY CRY Demon Exposing Arc (Yen Press released this outside the main series numbering) (* Optional to "main story")
    HIGURASHI WHEN THEY CRY Massacre Arc (Yen Press series #19-21)
    HIGURASHI WHEN THEY CRY Festival Accompanying Arc (Yen Press series #22-25)
    HIGURASHI WHEN THEY CRY Dice Killing Arc (Yen Press series #26) (* Optional to "main story", but great if you're going to continue on reading Umineko)
    The Post's Most Wanted Manga | Fandom Post -Female Anime Character Ranking-

Avatar: Ange Ushiromiya of Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When the Seagulls Cry).

Comment

Originally posted by einhorn303 View Post
      . . .
      Yen Press has a series order, though I'd recommend reading the arcs in a slightly different order than theirs. They released a side arc early on, which I think is better read later in the series. . .
      So . . . can the arcs be read independently of each other? It almost sounds like it, and I have a chance to pick up three of them cheaply . . . but they're not consecutive. And its a really good price . . .
      "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
        Originally posted by einhorn303 View Post
        . . .
        Yen Press has a series order, though I'd recommend reading the arcs in a slightly different order than theirs. They released a side arc early on, which I think is better read later in the series. . .
        So . . . can the arcs be read independently of each other? It almost sounds like it, and I have a chance to pick up three of them cheaply . . . but they're not consecutive. And its a really good price . . .
        No, they're written to be read in a certain order.
        The Post's Most Wanted Manga | Fandom Post -Female Anime Character Ranking-

Avatar: Ange Ushiromiya of Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When the Seagulls Cry).

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
          The first few arcs give an impression that they could be in a different order without making much difference. Later on, the development of the work as a whole definitely requires you to read in order.
          Avatar: Trixie is appalled by whatever I just said.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X