Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIZ finally getting into Yaoi/BL?

Widgets Magazine
    VIZ has a new job posted ... for a BL editor.

I honestly would love to see another large publisher - and one with some market pull - take on BL because DMP pretty much drives that bus alone but ... wow do I have conflicted feelings over it being VIZ.

There've been odd, offhand comments made in the ether for the last year or two, IIRC, so I sort of expected this eventually, but I'm still a little surprised, I think. Call me cautiously optimistic.

EDIT: I missed the news on ANN the other day (I don't read there regularly), but since it was mentioned downthread, here is their story, FWIW.
    Last edited by Noodle; 06-23-2011, 07:51 AM.
    Yay! There's debauchery here!
    Moderating: Manga

Re: VIZ finally getting into Yaoi/BL?

Oh geez, I didn't even think about the actual position when Viz posted this. I just kind of went "oh, Viz has posted a new job opening. Neat. Hope they're doing ok then." I forgot they don't even have a Yaoi/BL line (yet). Guess I'll have to keep an eye on Amazon and elsewhere for related titles.

-Sandrylina-

Comment

Hm, didn't they do House of Leaves or something(which is sorta BL?) Only for online though. I would guess they would try to grab the BL by FY author... The name escapes me..Sakura Gari? Something like that.
      SAMA-FUN #11

Comment

Shōgakukan had Palette Bunko, and Hakusensha has imprints like Hanamaru Bunko and Hanamaru Comics Premium, (and fujoshi read Shōnen Jump,) so the Hitotsubashi Group already has BL/yaoi-related resources to some extent. Viz also released Kadokawa titles, and Kadokawa Shoten has Ciel and Ruby Bunko. Therefore, even if Viz releases BL titles, it would not surprise me very much in a sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoidiot View Post
          Hm, didn't they do House of Leaves or something(which is sorta BL?) Only for online though. I would guess they would try to grab the BL by FY author... The name escapes me..Sakura Gari? Something like that.
          Viz has been putting out House of Five Leaves in book form. New chapters debut online, though.

When I saw this on ANN, I was baffled. Viz, doing BL? I''m generally not interested in BL, though it would be nice to see DMP get some new competition - DramaQueen actually putting out a couple of new books aside - since they seem to be the only company left after TP+Blu left.
          Avatar: The dashing Shizuku Kanzaki, from The Drops of God.

May it rest in peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster Blader 126 View Post
            When I saw this on ANN, I was baffled. Viz, doing BL?
            Viz is a complicated animal. I think it would be safe to assume that none of the different divisions really communicate or work with each other, so they have this incredibly inconsistent public image. They are a pretty sophisticated operation if you ignore the clowns in charge of the anime and shonen jump divisions.
            Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoidiot View Post
              Hm, didn't they do House of Leaves or something(which is sorta BL?)
              No, it's not sorta BL. But she's done some yeah, and they've been putting out several of her books so they might go with hers. And Yuu Watase's series might make sense with the history - I wouldn't mind checking that out - but it probably just depends on what kind of selection they're looking at. Name recognition or history is fine but it might not be material VIZ is comfortable with. Stories with gay characters are not necessarily BL; are they going to test the waters with light BL or more explicit titles? Something in between (which is where DMP seems to have settled these days)? Nothing-but-smut, a la Kitty?

Hell, maybe they just want in on some of TPs books.... though to be honest unless that's a rescue of Junjo or Sekaiichi, I'm not all that interested; TP wasn't putting out a whole lot of what I wanted to read towards the end there. I'd just like to hear more about their plans before I get my hopes up speculating. Because, ho boy, I have some series wants and VIZ is probably the only company left who might undertake them.

Comment

It is a good move on VIZ's part to actually develop their own yaoi line. Especially with DMP being the only yaoi publisher in the US to have regular releases which has made them and their imprints nothing more than a monopoly in the US yaoi market. It would also be to their benefit if VIZ could get their hands on the rest of the Crimson Spell series by Ayano Yamane since its been three years since Media Blaster/Kitty has last published a book from this series. Actually, if either of them could get the license for it I'll be happy.

Comment

Hmm... excellent! Maybe they'll give DMP a run for the market? Nobody else seems to have any lasting appeal. The next biggest was Blu, which, well... *glares at unfinished Junjo* Though I do wish that all of their titles would also get a print version. I'm still kinda attached to the dead tree model.
                  -dunno001
                  -Here, kity, kitty, kitty...
                  -Moderator for US region, General anime, Off-topic, Gaming, Manga, and Site news forums

Comment

Originally posted by dunno001 View Post
                    Though I do wish that all of their titles would also get a print version. I'm still kinda attached to the dead tree model.
                    Well hopefully the digital-loving crowd will help spur on the print release for the rest of us. I'm trying to stay positive on that score (because I am not reading manga on my itty bitty netbook screen, no way) and will wait patiently... in the meantime however, I am STUPIDLY EXCITED to finally see Three Wolves Mountain licensed for print. Can wait for more Naono Bohra works to follow suit.

Incidentally, as far as the digital version-turned maybe print version thing, I much prefer VIZ's more professional approach than DMP's "Guild" which is little more than glorified scanlations to me. >.<

Comment

I'm really disappointed that the emphasis is on digital releases. I'd hoped Viz could use their clout as the top manga publisher to negotiate shelf space for BL in Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million, something DMP seems unable to do. (I worry about BL's future in general without Borders around to provide good visibility for BL titles.)

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X