X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noodle
    replied
    Re: Nostalgia Purchases

Since I've been buying what manga I've wanted pretty much all along, I can't really think of any purchases that fit this question. I think, more than anything I already HAVE, it'll be something in the future: Sailor Moon, when it comes out from Kodansha. Because honestly? The last time I tried to re-read the series (I have the original release), I couldn't even get through it. I tried to blame it on the translation, but it might just be that I've moved past wanting to read this series. Not that I won't still think of it fondly in my heart or re-watch my anime again, but I've been debating this for a couple months now already. Will I buy the Kodansha books? Likely. Will I ever read them? ...I don't know.

And I suppose if VIZ ever puts out Ranma 1/2 omnibuses, they'll count. I collected all 22 volumes of the old (large size) release but never bothered to finish when they changed to the 2nd Ed format. It's never bothered me to be "unfinished" in Ranma, but I remember enjoying it all those years ago and I'd decided that if they ever released it in omnibus form, I'd finish it out just for the sake of the good times I had reading it.

Leave a comment:

• Sandrylina
    started a topic [Manga] Nostalgia Purchases

Nostalgia Purchases

I was talking with Psychoidiot concerning some of my recent manga purchases and she made me realize I've been making quite a few nostalgia purchases lately. Not even just because some of them are OOP, case in point, my buying the Tokyopop versions of Clover instead of the DH ones, or even my purchasing of Clover at all. While I like it, it is definitely not my favorite CLAMP series. But I do remember how big of a deal it was to some of my friends back in the day because of that Tokyopop version, with the special slipcovers and color pages. That definitely brings back some fond memories.

I also just bought a gigantic collection of Narumi Kakinouchi manga (Juline, Vampire Princess Miyu, Charmer, etc) because I remember reading them from the library soon after I was first introduced to manga and I loved the artwork. And the 3 volumes of Ice Blade that Tokyopop released because it was my first seinen series and I liked the protagonist for being so "cool" (ok DH, I will definitely buy this series from you if you release it).

So what manga purchases have you made that were largely (if not entirely) influenced by nostalgia? This doesn't have to be an out of print title, or even that old as long as it evokes that special feeling.

-Sandrylina-
    Last edited by Sandrylina; 06-15-2011, 12:03 AM.
Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Working...
X