Widgets Magazine

What COMPLETED series are you most amazed/thankful actually got completed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Manga] What COMPLETED series are you most amazed/thankful actually got completed?

Widgets Magazine
    This is the positive (and sure to be much smaller and shorter) counterpart to Which dropped/prematurely ended/on hiatus series are you most frustrated about?

Some series that are released make you amazed that they were licensed in the first place. And if they are released to completion--especially long series--you realize that a miracle of sorts has occurred.

For me, one title immediately leaps to mind:

Iron Wok Jan -- 27 volumes of shonen cooking action. And it took years. And a change from Comics One to DrMaster. And yet, the whole damn thing was eventually released.

Sure, there's no chance that we'll ever see the sequel series, Iron Wok Jan R, but even for miracles, there's some kind of limit.
    Seattle will never forget you, Electron Boy! - Donate to the Make-a-Wish Foundation
    Avatar: You're going to LOVE HER!!!!!
    Σ UFO = Mr. Nail Bat = Geoduck = Big Big Duck
    You can believe everything I say, as it is based on emperical data.

Re: What COMPLETED series are you most amazed/thankful actually got completed?

For me, it would probably be Saint Seiya.

With the anime having bombed on TV, the DVD release getting canceled, and there never being any indication the manga was even making OK sales, once VIZ shifted the series to a quarterly release in mid-2007, I thought the book could well be doomed. I can only assume that after having invested in publishing 20-or-so volumes, they decided it would be somewhat mean to cancel the remaining 8 books.
    Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

I'm kind of surprised Broccoli completed both Galaxy Angel and Galaxy Angel Beta. Too bad II may never be.
      "I'm sorry, did you say something? Because your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass."
      Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table~
      Avatar: Grown up Yue Ayase from Negima.

Comment

I know we're trying to be positive here, but thinking about this thread's subject made me realize how many out of business/shutdown manga publishers there have been in the US just in the last decade or so (ComicsOne/Redlight Manga, DR Master, Infinity Studios, HK Comics, CMX, TOKYOPOP/Mixx Ent., Aurora, Go! Comi, Gutsoon, Ironcat/Sexy Fruit, Icarus Comics, ADV, CPM/Manga 18) plus some whose status is unknown to me because they publish so erratically if at all (Anime Works, Drama Queen, Netcomics, and I guess Del Rey now...)

That said, I would say I'm glad to see the Orphen manga finished by ADV. Their manga line was so chaotic in its scheduling and there were soooo many books from them that didn't finish their runs, that I consider it a miracle that they finished releasing all 6 volumes of Orphen, especially when it came out near the very end of their run as a publisher. Sadly, I doubt we'll ever get the other Orphen manga, Orphen Max or any of the actual novels in the US...

Comment

I'm glad that Gatcha Gacha was finally finished. With two and a half years between the 7th and 8th volumes I had pretty much given up hope of seeing the final volume in English. Tokyopop came through on that title, of which I am grateful!

Comment

It's kind of sad that this thread didn't take off like the Which dropped/prematurely ended/on hiatus series are you most frustrated about? Is that a bad indication of manga industry or what?

Off the top of my head, Manga I'm thankful for that actually got completed?
            Akira
            DeathNote
            Genshiken
            Ghost in the Shell
            GTO
            Hellsing
            Planetes
            Pluto
            Trigun

Some of the series I have got completed poorly or censored so I didn't include them on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by ResistNormal View Post
              It's kind of sad that this thread didn't take off like the Which dropped/prematurely ended/on hiatus series are you most frustrated about? Is that a bad indication of manga industry or what?

Off the top of my head, Manga I'm thankful for that actually got completed?
              Akira
              DeathNote
              Genshiken
              Ghost in the Shell
              GTO
              Hellsing
              Planetes
              Pluto
              Trigun

Some of the series I have got completed poorly or censored so I didn't include them on the list.
              You know, given that the vast majority of those are fairly to wildly popular series or very short, it's no miracle that they were completed. I don't think the question was to simply list your favorite completed series, but rather ones you are thankful made it out in their entirety at all.

Myself, I'd list such things as Basara and PSME, save that given that several volumes of those were so vastly under-produced *cough*Basara19*cough* that I'll never get to finish them anyways, there's not really much point.
              Moderator: General Anime, Off-Topic & Cover Art

Comment

Originally posted by Pelianth View Post
                You know, given that the vast majority of those are fairly to wildly popular series or very short, it's no miracle that they were completed.
                This. Not really the point of the question.

Myself, I'd list such things as Basara and PSME, save that given that several volumes of those were so vastly under-produced *cough*Basara19*cough* that I'll never get to finish them anyways, there's not really much point.
                I was going to say Basara as well, though to me it falls more in the "amazed it got licensed" category than the "that it got completed" one since VIZ is/was pretty good about that. Of course, there is the under production issue, but I bought each volume faithfully as it came out so I never had the problem. :/ (There are actually quite a few series I honestly never expected to see in English - PSME and Angel Sanctuary fall in there with Basara for sure.)

Aside from that I'm sure I have a couple to be thankful for, but I haven't had a chance to really sit and think about it. Banana Fish maybe?
                Yay! There's debauchery here!
                Moderating: Manga

Comment

You know, given that the vast majority of those are fairly to wildly popular series or very short, it's no miracle that they were completed. I don't think the question was to simply list your favorite completed series, but rather ones you are thankful made it out in their entirety at all.

PSME was fairly popular for its period in release in the States, I think. Helped that the anime preceded the manga in the market; this was definitely what got me buying the manga in the first place. Basara on the other hand... I bought most of it very cheaply, because the market was flooded with remaindered copies of the early stuff - about the first ten volumes, IIRC. And to be honest... the last four-five volumes could have been dropped and nobody'd be the wiser. It dragged out like nobody's business. Those last four-five volumes? Side-stories.

I'm grateful for Cheeky Angel. AFAIK, it sold worse than Basara, the art was ugly, the subject matter straddled the border between girly comics and manly delinquent comics, and the anime never got licensed in the States. I'm convinced it only made its completion because the transgendered politics of the subject matter made it an irresistible indulgence for Viz's San Francisco/NYC editorial staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch H. View Post
                    And to be honest... the last four-five volumes could have been dropped and nobody'd be the wiser. It dragged out like nobody's business. Those last four-five volumes? Side-stories.
                    Hah! I beg to differ, as I'd have been quite upset. Basara is my favorite series of all time, after all. It wasn't all side-stories, either, but whatever. Personally, I LIKE knowing more about the cast of characters when I've invested so much time in them; it's not always just about the lead couple.

I'm convinced it only made its completion because the transgendered politics of the subject matter made it an irresistible indulgence for Viz's San Francisco/NYC editorial staff.
                    Yeah, that's nice.
                    Yay! There's debauchery here!
                    Moderating: Manga

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Nail Bat View Post
                      Iron Wok Jan -- 27 volumes of shonen cooking action. And it took years. And a change from Comics One to DrMaster. And yet, the whole damn thing was eventually released.

Sure, there's no chance that we'll ever see the sequel series, Iron Wok Jan R, but even for miracles, there's some kind of limit.
                      Don't forget that DrMaster supposedly was continually tossing new translators (or was it editors?) at the title, since the rampant amount of Chinese food names was apparently torture on the crew. As for R getting published, DrMaster once told me that they wanted to see how long it would be before deciding on licensing it or not, so I think it must have had consistent-enough sales for them... But then again, DrMaster is now gone, so we have to consider that as well.

Ed Chavez from Vertical also seemed interested in taking on R when I brought it up to him, but he wanted to see how the booksales were from both major sources before really deciding.

Originally posted by Junker Woland View Post
                      For me, it would probably be Saint Seiya.

With the anime having bombed on TV, the DVD release getting canceled, and there never being any indication the manga was even making OK sales, once VIZ shifted the series to a quarterly release in mid-2007, I thought the book could well be doomed. I can only assume that after having invested in publishing 20-or-so volumes, they decided it would be somewhat mean to cancel the remaining 8 books.
                      Yeah, we lucky enough to get all of Saint Seiya released. Hell, I just recently had to tell another fan the honest truth, as he was hoping that Viz would give it a VizBig release, thinking that it might be worth it to re-release it to grab new fans. Sorry, but the North American manga industry doesn't work like that, unfortunately: Titles only get one chance over here, and if they do well then they get another chance... As oddly-sounding as that might sound.
                      Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
                      Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BطY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BطY

Comment

Decided to put my choices down on a seperate post...

Going off of Junker's choice of Saint Seiya, I'm going to say fellow Masami Kurumada title B't X: It's first volume came out a couple months before Viz started Seiya (TokyoPop was probably also hoping for "Knights of the Zodiac" to be a big hit), half-way through TP switched it from bi-monthly to tri-monthly for one volume, which was then followed by a switch to a twice-a-year schedule for three years until one volume was left... And then came a giant 2.33 year hiatus, during which TP's editors commented that B't X was one of their worst-selling titles ever and that they were betting against each over if that last volume would ever come out.

But last November TokyoPop decided to actually release that last volume of B't X under a premium price point of $12.99, which I'm going to guess was a litmus test to see if this idea would make it worth finishing other hiatus titles; now we'll never know if that was the case. But I am extremely happy to see that the two Kurumada mangas that were licensed actually got completely released. We'll probably never see another Kurumada manga licensed ever again, which is a damn shame, but at least the two we got actually were fully released.

And while I should wait until July to say this , I'll just add this title now: Ultimate Muscle. Yes, this July Viz will release the 29th and final volume of Ultimate Muscle, a.k.a. Kinnikuman Nisei. With Viz halting the releases of titles like Bastard!!, Reborn!, Kurohime, and Gintama it's amazing that a title that probably sold like crap, maybe even less than Saint Seiya at that, will be fully released... Maybe editor Shaenon Garrity is good luck for mangas that sell like crap, since she worked on both Seiya and UM and both of them get finished.

More than likely Viz was hoping to attract fans of the 4Kids very-popular version of the anime with the manga... Only to find out that the original manga was actually very dirty-minded and highly-violent, resulting in it being the only manga that Viz moved from the Shonen Jump line to the Shonen Jump Advanced line, I believe. Maybe Viz should have realized that Kinnikuman Nisei ran in Weekly Playboy magazine and not a Jump magazine. And, just like Kurumada mangas, we'll probably never get the sequel manga to Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman Nisei: Kyukyoku no Chojin Tag-hen (where the UM crew go into the past and team-up with/take on the original Kinnikuman crew).

Oh, here's a third one I also mention: Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M. A 20-volume manga about a loose-cannon firefighter that actually was fully released by Viz, though it probably sold even less than Saint Seiya and Ultimate Muscle combined. Great title, though.

Finally I guess a fourth one I can be thankful for is Kikaider 02. CMX released all six volumes of that manga, but then Japan got a seventh volume a couple of years after it finished in Japan and I wasn't sure if CMX would bother licensing that new last volume. Thankfully they did.
                        Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
                        Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BطY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BطY

Comment

This is a statement in itself, you know subtext. Most series that get completed are either short or wilder popular which is a complaint toward the industry.

Comment

I would say Please Save My Earth. I picked up a complete set years ago since I was afraid it would become impossible to find, but my nearest comic book store actually still had all of the volumes the last time I was there. It's 20+ volumes, somewhat old, and doesn't have the flashiest art.

Video Girl Ai is another title that I'm glad was completed, although that one is probably less surprising.

Comment

Considering how sports stuff tends to do over here, it's pretty nice to see that before the year's end we'll have all of Eyeshield 21.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X