Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Manga] Looking for opinions/information on a variety of titles

Widgets Magazine
    A while back I created a similar thread, but I now have a new batch of stuff I'm looking into that I'd love to hear opinions on.

Titles I'm curious about:
    Muhyo and Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigations
    Fairy Tail
    NG Life
    AI Love You
    Cross Game

Additionally, I have a few small questions on some other titles.
    Is the Pokemon Black/White manga released by Viz part of the Adventures series, or something different? I assumed it was unrelated because of the way they named it, but I noticed that the Author/Artist seem to be the same.

Also, I see that the Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok series was released over here, but only part that had the Ragnarok title in Japan. How exactly does that tie in to the anime? Does it pick up where the anime left off, or is it a retread of the same content?

Re: Looking for opinions/information on a variety of titles

Originally posted by Mank View Post
    NG Life
    Disclaimer: I didn't finish NG Life, but more due to lack of time than from disinterest. NG Life is a reincarnation story centering around one boy who remembers his life during the last days of Pompeii. The people from his life there and now again in his life in current Japan. However, (1) he's the only one who remembers the ancient days and (2) the roles the people filled in his past life aren't necessarily the ones they fill in his current life. Plus there's some gender-bending that occurred during the reincarnation. You basically get 2 stories for the price of one. The MC's life in Pompeii as an adult plus his life in the present as a high school boy. I fully intend to finish the series someday. I bought all the books, so I have a complete set of this former Tokyopop title. I would recommend it. It's not a typical shoujo and the artwork is nice, IMO.

Also, I see that the Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok series was released over here, but only part that had the Ragnarok title in Japan. How exactly does that tie in to the anime? Does it pick up where the anime left off, or is it a retread of the same content?
    Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok started life in Japan simply known as Mythical Detective Loki. When the serialization moved to another magazine, legal issues forced a name change and "Ragnorak" was added to the title. The anime started after the magazine switch and the name change but started from the beginning of the manga story. When the manga came to the US (I assume the US is where you mean by "over here"), the longer title was also kept. As to the manga content versus anime content, the manga covers the anime content and then goes beyond it into what would have been the anime's second season. On a final note, the US has only seen 2 volumes of the 7 volume manga released. However if I remember right, JManga recently announced that it will be adding the manga to its digital lineup.
    Avatar: Ahiru and Fakir of Princess Tutu | My manga list | My anime DVD list

Comment

Originally posted by Mank View Post
      Is the Pokemon Black/White manga released by Viz part of the Adventures series, or something different? I assumed it was unrelated because of the way they named it, but I noticed that the Author/Artist seem to be the same.

'Black and White' by Kusaka and Yamamoto is the 10th 'chapter'/arc of Pocket Monster Special, which is the Japanese equivalent of U.S's Pokémon Adventures manga.
      Though magazines carry the 'Black and White' arc in Japan, it has not yet been tankōbonised. That may be related to that the U.S. title is Pokémon Black and White rather than Pokémon Adventures Black and White.

Comment

Muhyo and Roji - I've read and enjoyed this series up through volume 12 so far. I wouldn't say that it's been my favorite series, but it's been pretty consistent and entertaining. I have the last 6 volumes, but am way behind on my reading. I hope to get to them soon.

Fairy Tail - I've read up through around volume 18 and have been enjoying it a lot. There are a few lulls on occasion, but they don't last long. Lots of fights and adventure and interesting characters. Plenty of humor, too. Sometimes these series can get in a rut and be kind of repetitive, but I don't think that has happened with Fairy Tail yet.

Cross Game - I have all of the volumes that Viz has released and plan to read them pretty soon since the last book comes out in September. It looks like a lot of fun, but I haven't actually read it yet. I've heard lots of positive reviews, though.
        Last edited by rusty; 07-16-2012, 11:21 PM.

Comment

I've read the first two omnibus editions of Cross Game now (volumes 1-5 of the original) and can definitely recommend it. I find reading it to be very addictive and I should finish off omnibus #3-7 in the next couple of days. The only problem then is the wait I'll have for the final omnibus to come out.

The series has very nice characters and the story is about the relationships more than the baseball, though baseball is front and center in the story. I love both the story and the art. Definitely worth checking out.

Comment

Muhyo and Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigations
            I liked this a lot. Although it has a few lulls and occasionally loses its way, it's worth a read. The art is very distinctive and, overall, a very decently done shounen title. A times light-hearted and funny and deadly serious in others. Monster designs are great.

Fairy Tail
            Just finished volume 20. You will be reminded of Rave Master, if only in the character designs (and Plue does show up). Again, some lulls, but the last 4-5 volumes have really picked up the pace.

As much as I like both, I'd give the edge to Muhyo and Rolji. It's a bit unfair since FT has so much more to offer story-wise (33 vols so far!), but M&Y offers something a bit different.

Cross Game
            What can you say about Adachi? Touching, heart-felt, slice-of-life, comtemplative and energetic at the same time.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine
            Working...
            X