Widgets Magazine

News, Stealth PR, and License Announcements!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: News, Stealth PR, and License Announcements!

Originally posted by WTK View Post
    Vertical @ Katsucon:
    NEW TITLE: Blame in an 18 INCH TALL BOOK sweet Jesus (tp rescue "not as shitty [a release]" #verticalatkatsu
    Ha. I was just recently looking at those old TP editions sitting on the shelf, still somewhat depressed about their scan-like quality printing and inconsistent editorial and packaging from that (to me) miserable era of throwaway Tokyopopia. Very, very welcome rescue, to publish the new JP editions--and after Vertical played coy about it late last year (and maybe not incorrectly, referencing low desire for them).
    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
    Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

^ Things could have changed, like maybe they were offered a good deal or something.

Comment

• Re: Squid Girl is going to end.

Volume 13 of the Shōnen Champion manga magazine was released on February 25, and it carried the final instalment of Squid Girl.

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/177381
        http://natalie.mu/comic/gallery/show...mage_id/532493
        https://twitter.com/Hobby_Log/status/702355601783975941

The mangaka Anbé Masahiro is now planning his next manga.

Comment

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopi...remium-members
          Beta Version Of Our New HTML5 Manga Reader Available NOW For Premium+ Members!

Hey everyone! We've been working hard to improve your Crunchyroll Manga experience and are excited to bring you the beta of our HTML5 reader, which is currently available to Premium+ Members!

Comment

• Taniguchi Jirō artbook

jiro taniguchi, an artbook by Taniguchi Jirō, will be released by Shōgakukan on February 29.
            The text in the book was written in Japanese, French and English.
            jiro taniguchi will be on sale also in France.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4091990428/
            http://mantan-web.jp/2016/02/28/2016...00025000c.html
            http://mantan-web.jp/gallery/2016/02...5000c/002.html

Comment

http://kodanshacomics.tumblr.com/pos...nt-1-akira-the
              In 2017, to honor the 35th anniversary of the debut of this seminal piece of sequential art, Kodansha Comics will release Akira: The 35th Anniversary Box Set. It will feature Vol. 1-6, the complete series, in large format hardcovers, plus the Akira Club art book. For the first time ever in English, the series will be presented in the original right-to-left format, with unaltered original art and Japanese sound effects with endnote translations. Our goal is to produce the ultimate, definitive English edition, presenting Otomo’s art in the most authentic and collectible way possible.

Additional extras to be announced. Suggested retail $199.99.
              http://kodanshacomics.tumblr.com/pos...2-vinland-saga
              Vinland Saga Book Eight
              The Viking epic continues in Fall 2016! That’s when Kodansha Comics will release the hardcover Vinland Saga Book Eight, collecting the Japanese Vol. 15 and 16, with the insightful, exclusive author Q&A for which the edition has become known.

With this volume, we are caught up with the Japanese edition, but be sure to watch this space for more Vinland Saga news. Thank you to the fans for your support and requests for this incredible manga series. We hope you’ll keep picking it up, and spreading the word!

Comment

Wow, that Akira set sounds amazing. I've never seen the movie or read the series, but with that set I can't help but have interest. Would anyone recommend seeing the movie first or just reading the series? Is it any good?

And good for Kodansha being able to keep Vinland Saga in print. I actually dropped the series, so I stopped buying it after the fifth omnibus, but the type of release Kodansha gave it was really something. Wish more series could get that kind of treatment.
                Avatar: Tomo Takino - Azumanga Daioh

Comment

Originally posted by lk09 View Post
                  Wow, that Akira set sounds amazing. I've never seen the movie or read the series, but with that set I can't help but have interest. Would anyone recommend seeing the movie first or just reading the series? Is it any good?

And good for Kodansha being able to keep Vinland Saga in print. I actually dropped the series, so I stopped buying it after the fifth omnibus, but the type of release Kodansha gave it was really something. Wish more series could get that kind of treatment.
                  The traditional comment about Akira is "the manga is much better story-wise than the movie," but I must make the shocking admission that I watched the movie back when Pioneer released it on DVD (thus lifting the "traditional sticking point" of the old dub), started reading the manga years later, sort of drifted away from it halfway through when it didn't seem that much more profound, and got back to it at last more years later to understand its story did go "further" in the sense of "many more events" and supposed it was worth taking in as well. Given how another part of the conventional wisdom is to bemoan how the manga's never been released over here "unflipped," the new set at least caught my attention, although it's one of those "when you pay all at once, it seems more expensive" things.

I'm glad to hear Vinland Saga is going to get another omnibus volume over here, too. The seventh omnibus hadn't seemed like that bad a point to end on if things had to be that way, but it's nice to have the alternative...

Comment

I'd suggest first viewing the more recent subbed or dubbed release of the film, currently available in the US from FUNimation. Between new-or-used and buy-or-rent, you should be able to catch the flick for anywhere from $5 to under $30.

I much prefer the manga, but the movie is essentially a best-of adaptation and would serve as a decent enough primer for the book's expanded universe. If you're still game after watching the anime, you can decide on whether it's worth investing in this new manga set or the existing six-volume, soft-cover releases, which are all still available and will run you around $120 total.
                    Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

Both amazing announcements from Kodansha. Vinland Saga and Akira are my #12 and #17 manga respectively. As annoying as it is to keep being told they might not license any more Vinland Saga, the fact that we'll be caught up is great news. And although I only recently bought the last two volumes of Akira, this sounds beyond amazing. It's about damn time we actually get it without being flipped or otherwise edited, and it's hardcover with an art book to boot. A hell of a lot pricier than Viz's Nausicaä set that is very similar to how this sounds minus the art book, but even this is cheap compared to the kind of money I happily drop for nice releases of great anime, so I'm not complaining.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Kodansha USA Lists Digital Releases for Chihayafuru, Tokyo Tarareba Girls, A Springtime With Ninjas Manga. News article posted at ANN.

I'm excited that they are finally bringing the Chihayafuru manga over, but I would like to see print instead of digital. I hope they will consider it because I've been waiting for a while to see them do something with the series. I don't really have any platforms to buy and read eBooks with, outside of a computer or web through a phone. Seeing it released to print would be the ideal scenario, and I think there's definitely a big enough following for the series for it to happen. If they time it in line with the Sentai releases for the anime, then they could doubly benefit from each other. Greatest news of the month for me so far since it could lead to great possibilities!
                        Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
                        Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

If Space Brothers is any indication, at least Kodansha Comics probably wouldn't suddenly cancel a long-running series like Chihayafuru, but I'm not gonna hold-out much hope of seeing the series in print. I'd be curious to know how well their digital-only releases are performing; besides generally being more expensive than the online prices found on printed manga, Kodansha Comic's digital-only releases seem to maintain higher prices than the digital versions of their own printed titles.

I've recently been wrestling with the decision to start purchasing some digital manga, but I can't justify $10.99 for 187 pages that don't come with a DRM-free copy.
                          Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

• Oshima Towa's Shitamachi Sento Kazoku

In response to a Tweet by a foreign person, Oshima (Girls' High) Towa has said that her current manga Shitamachi Sento Kazoku (a manga by Oshima and Chabashira Shibukichi about a public bath) will reach the climax soon. In fact, the publishing firm's site says that Volume 4 of Shitamachi Sento Kazoku (to be rel. in October of 2018) will be the final volume.

https://twitter.com/towa_oshima/stat...73170814353408
                            http://www.shonengahosha.co.jp/cal.php#201810

In the postscript for Volume 1, Oshima has said that she herself likes bathing at bathhouses and spas.

Comment

• Aria - The Masterpiece Volume 1 pushed back a second time. Here we go!
                              @Asrialys | MyAnimeList | DVD/BD Collection (aka My Backlog...)

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X