Widgets Magazine

News, Stealth PR, and License Announcements!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News, Stealth PR, and License Announcements!

    Widgets Magazine
    Lately it feels like it's becoming hard for a manga fan to know where to look for the latest info. Sure, social media platforms have made communicating news so much faster than before, and most publishers have a blog (or several!), but since they're all still using these various outlets inconsistently, it gets harder to keep track of what gets licensed and easier to miss a valuable piece of news. And by the time those email newsletters arrive in your inbox, or the blogsphere reports in, or the increasingly-rare press release shows up, (if we haven't been made too impatient to browse all those sites anyway), the news sometimes feels old.

    So, we'd like to propose a way for the community to help itself keep on top of the various announcements and stealth PR: This thread! Have you run across some marketing intern updating a twitter feed or posting a facebook reply? Did you just read something you HAVE to share? Random updates? Bad news? Post here and tell us what you found!


    Note: This is NOT a one-and-only thread; if you want to start a new thread about something - big news, the licenses announced at con panel, whatever - GO AHEAD! We just know that some people are a little shy, and others around here like a one-stop shop.
    Yay! There's debauchery here!
    Moderating: Manga

  • #2
    ZE & Alice 101st

    I'll start: Last week I was randomly researching an OOP title on DMP's network of sites and came across this stellar piece of news on their blog:

    They're FINALLY continuing two hiatused series: ZE (801 Media) and Alice 101st (Doki Doki). Alice fans haven't suffered as long, but I would imagine fans of ZE long ago gave up hope of seeing the rest of this series in print, so this is pretty great news.

    Personally, I just wish DMP would stop this piecemeal licensing! ZE has only 11 volumes, and if they have gotten over whatever content issues may have kept them from publishing volumes 7-8 earlier, surely they can finish the series now!
    Yay! There's debauchery here!
    Moderating: Manga

    Comment


    • #3
      Twin Spica going out of print

      OK, this was posted to the Fandom Post front page after it was mentioned it on Facebook, but it got buried in the news forum pretty quick and I thought it was worth highlighting here, too, in case anyone interested missed the news (heck, I actually saw it somewhere else):

      Twin Spica is already going out of print.

      I'm super bummed by this news because I haven't had a chance to pick this up yet, but it was definitely on my list thanks to the good word of mouth at its licensing. I just needed some time because my backlog is nuts, and my space situation worse. I almost caved during the last Vertical sale at TRSI, but I'd decided I would pick it up in the next one. It's sad how manga in the US doesn't often get the chance to experience sell-through anymore. If it can't prove itself immediately, that's it. I'm thankful Vertical finished it, but future readers won't have much chance to discover it now.
      Yay! There's debauchery here!
      Moderating: Manga

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Twin Spica going out of print

        I was also one of those who wanted to pick this series up at some point, so it's kind of bad to see it going out of print right now.
        Like yours, my backlog right now is extremely huge and my budget is not unlimited. Guess I will have to give up on Twin Spica, sadly.
        Anime List | Manga List
        DVD/BD Collection (DVDAf) | Manga Collection (ANN)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: News, Stealth PR, and License Announcements!

          Excellent thread idea. Hope to see this help culminate consistent updates (since they're so hard to find these days).

          Last week (March 23), a solicitation for Strobe Edge, volume 1 (licensed by VIZ Media) appeared on Simon & Schuster. The solicitation has since been pulled, though it's likely this might be a new title to be announced at upcoming Sakura-Con next weekend.

          ---

          Another tid bit of news that I got was that DMP had acquired the license to the Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko manga. It'll be available starting this Fall, and in print.

          Made a thread on it a few days ago: http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=109827
          Last edited by Noodle; 03-31-2012, 04:48 PM. Reason: link removal

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: ZE & Alice 101st

            Originally posted by Noodle View Post
            I'll start: Last week I was randomly researching an OOP title on DMP's network of sites and came across this stellar piece of news on their blog:

            They're FINALLY continuing two hiatused series: ZE (801 Media) and Alice 101st (Doki Doki). Alice fans haven't suffered as long, but I would imagine fans of ZE long ago gave up hope of seeing the rest of this series in print, so this is pretty great news.

            Personally, I just wish DMP would stop this piecemeal licensing! ZE has only 11 volumes, and if they have gotten over whatever content issues may have kept them from publishing volumes 7-8 earlier, surely they can finish the series now!
            It's part of why I don't trust them for multi-volume series. I was going to buy ZE, until I saw volume 4 was OOP, and 5 was in short supply. Maybe getting more of this means it will also be reprinted? And Alice 101st... their site had it listed as "The whole series" (and still does) for the 2 volumes. So... color me skeptical that anything will happen...
            -dunno001
            -Here, kity, kitty, kitty...
            -Moderator for US region, General anime, Off-topic, Gaming, Manga, and Site news forums

            Comment


            • #7
              See Me After Class (Asa made Jugyō Chu!) & President Momoi Kun (Shachō Momoi Kun) licensed

              ANN reported that DMP licensed See Me After Class (Asa made Jugyō Chu!) & President Momoi Kun (Shachō Momoi Kun) for its Project-H & Juné imprints.
              Avatar: Ahiru and Fakir of Princess Tutu | My manga list | My anime DVD list

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Twin Spica going out of print

                Originally posted by Heiki View Post
                I was also one of those who wanted to pick this series up at some point, so it's kind of bad to see it going out of print right now.
                Like yours, my backlog right now is extremely huge and my budget is not unlimited. Guess I will have to give up on Twin Spica, sadly.
                I had just picked up the first volume of Twin Spica when that news broke. I read it, LOVED it and went ahead and splurged (yay tax returns!) for volumes 2-12 through Amazon. Some of the quantities are getting really low over there so I would recommend anybody who is interested get your copies now while you can.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: News, Stealth PR, and License Announcements!

                  O7-Ghost was rescued by Viz Media.... which makes me happy. It's been reported on here and ANN.
                  Watching: Fate/Zero, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, Ozuma, Sekirei
                  Avatar: Black Rock Shooter

                  Thank you Sentai for Fate/Stay Night : UBW
                  Proud to Pre-Order Fate/Zero Box 2 on BD!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: News, Stealth PR, and License Announcements!

                    Originally posted by Talyn View Post
                    O7-Ghost was rescued by Viz Media.... which makes me happy. It's been reported on here and ANN.
                    Not to mention, the first two volumes already have solicitations.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: News, Stealth PR, and License Announcements!

                      ANN is reporting on the news that the Air Gear manga will be ending in 5 more chapters in Japan.

                      Volume 35 is due out in Japan tomorrow. Kodansha USA is set to release volume 23 later this month, while volumes 24 and 25 have also been officially solicited for June and August, respectively. Hopefully they don't decide to kill off the domestic release at some point, particularly since they've been maintaining a pretty aggressive release schedule (for manga, anyway) and now there's a set end point for the whole thing (presumably one more collected volume for a total of 36).

                      I'm still loving the hell out of this series. Sure, it gets even more ludicrous with each chapter as Oh!great continues to see how far he can ask readers to accept meaningless nonsense as dramatic Serious Business, but it's so fun, and the artwork is easily among the very best being produced for any manga series at the moment.
                      asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                      Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                      Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: News, Stealth PR, and License Announcements!

                        Originally posted by Betenoire
                        AICN Twitter feed reports Vertical rescued Paradise Kiss and it will have all color prints.

                        As the series Limit from author of Alive is coming.
                        I'd really like to see the rest of Alive.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: News, Stealth PR, and License Announcements!

                          If this Limit is what I think it is, I'll get it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: News, Stealth PR, and License Announcements!

                            The Viz panel at Sakura-Con didn't seem to have any new manga licenses, but here's some news that might be of interest.

                            They are releasing the first eight volumes of Loveless in 2-in-1 omnibuses ($14.99). Somehow I was under the impression that they would only be starting where Tokyopop left off and we wouldn't be getting the first part of the series again at all. I don't know if they changed their mind or if I misread something earlier. I managed to only get the first two of TP's release so I'll be getting the Viz release starting with the second omnibus.

                            07-Ghost volume 1 for Fall 2012.

                            Full series box set of Ouran High School Host Club in October. I'll probably get this. MSRP $139.99.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: News, Stealth PR, and License Announcements!

                              Originally posted by _PS_ View Post
                              The Viz panel at Sakura-Con didn't seem to have any new manga licenses, but here's some news that might be of interest.

                              They are releasing the first eight volumes of Loveless in 2-in-1 omnibuses ($14.99). Somehow I was under the impression that they would only be starting where Tokyopop left off and we wouldn't be getting the first part of the series again at all. I don't know if they changed their mind or if I misread something earlier. I managed to only get the first two of TP's release so I'll be getting the Viz release starting with the second omnibus.
                              According to Simon & Schuster's website volume 9 of Loveless is due to be released from Viz on September 11th. I remember seeing solicitations for the first two omnibus editions as well at some point (last month I think), bt they're not coming up now. (Actually, I'm having trouble getting the S&S site to show up anything further out than July 3rd when searching for Viz items in general. I only found the Loveless link by searching the title directly. I'm wondering if they're having site issues.)
                              Moderator: General Anime, Off-Topic & Cover Art

                              Comment

                              Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

                              Channels

                              Collapse

                              Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X