Widgets Magazine

Ghost in the Shell [EngSub] [EngDub] / Ghost in the Shell: Innocence [EngSub]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [4KUHD] Ghost in the Shell [EngSub] [EngDub] / Ghost in the Shell: Innocence [EngSub]

Widgets Magazine
    https://v-storage.bandaivisual.co.jp...-shell-special
    https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/cont/news/759

Amazon Japan listings

June 22, 2018 | EngSub listed for both films

Ghost in the Shell / Ghost in the Shell: Innocence 4K remaster set (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray)
    https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/cont/item/BCQA-0008 | 12800yen + tax

Ghost in the Shell (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray + Blu-ray)
    https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/cont/item/BCQA-0007 | 9800yen + tax

http://www.disney.co.jp/studio/news/20180313_01.html

Amazon Japan listings

June 22, 2018. EngSub included.
    - Ghost in the Shell: Innocence 4K Ultra HD + 4K remaster Blu-ray | 9800yen + tax
    - Ghost in the Shell: Innocence 4K remaster Blu-ray | 5800yen + tax
    Last edited by WTK; 03-14-2018, 10:42 PM.

Pre-ordered the combo!

Comment

Sucks that the dubs aren't on these. I don't get it, especially on the first film. They've included it on like every Blu-ray release, even the most recent one where it was in full uncompressed PCM.

Comment

Hmm, doesn't say anything specific about the remastering. Even if they went back to the original files for the scanned cels (assuming they even have them), I doubt they were anywhere near 4K resolution.

Would probably be a good idea to wait for screenshots before ordering. At worst, this might just be an upscale of the current master, which looks poor even for Blu-ray.

Comment

Originally posted by BusterD View Post
          Hmm, doesn't say anything specific about the remastering. Even if they went back to the original files for the scanned cels (assuming they even have them), I doubt they were anywhere near 4K resolution.

Would probably be a good idea to wait for screenshots before ordering. At worst, this might just be an upscale of the current master, which looks poor even for Blu-ray.
          I'm pretty sure this will be upscaled, just like every single anime released on UHD BD so far. How it'll compare with the BDs might be interesting, considering it could be contracted out to a different studio, which happened to Your Name.

Comment

Hmm, aren't the Cobra and Ashita no Joe discs native 4K? That's what it seems to indicate on Fox Japan's website...

Comment

Disney appears to be distributing Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence on 4K UHD Blu-ray separately, like Bandai for the first film. http://www.disney.co.jp/studio/news/20180313_01.html

Comment

Originally posted by BusterD View Post
                Hmm, aren't the Cobra and Ashita no Joe discs native 4K? That's what it seems to indicate on Fox Japan's website...
                I'm wrong if they really are. It looks like they could be if a new 4K scan from the 35mm negatives was actually done to them. I'd need to see the screencaps (workflow/production pics even better) , also ones from the BDs to spot any upscaling. One other title I'm aware of that's been solicited with similar restoration/new scan from the film elements is CCS, but that's been downscaled to BD and won't see a UHD release for quite some time. Cobra and AnJ may actually be true, native 4K, then those would be exceptions.

Not sure if the new Gundam (vintage series) releases are true 4K either, but I was highly doubtful that Thunderbolt was a 4K production. I knew BV was marketing nonsense. The production was made in 1440x810 and upscaled to 4K.

*In addition to CCS, Belladonna of Sadness also got a new 4K mastering from the original 35mm film negative. Curious as to when (if ever) that title will be released on 4K UHD.
                Last edited by Sensuifu; 03-14-2018, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeargumedo View Post
                  Disney appears to be distributing Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence on 4K UHD Blu-ray separately, like Bandai for the first film. http://www.disney.co.jp/studio/news/20180313_01.html
                  Amazon Japan listings

June 22, 2018. EngSub included.
                  - Ghost in the Shell: Innocence 4K Ultra HD + 4K remaster Blu-ray | 9800yen + tax
                  - Ghost in the Shell: Innocence 4K remaster Blu-ray | 5800yen + tax

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post

I'm wrong if they really are. It looks like they could be if a new 4K scan from the 35mm negatives was actually done to them. I'd need to see the screencaps (workflow/production pics even better) , also ones from the BDs to spot any upscaling. One other title I'm aware of that's been solicited with similar restoration/new scan from the film elements is CCS, but that's been downscaled to BD and won't see a UHD release for quite some time. Cobra and AnJ may actually be true, native 4K, then those would be exceptions.

Not sure if the new Gundam (vintage series) releases are true 4K either, but I was highly doubtful that Thunderbolt was a 4K production. I knew BV was marketing nonsense. The production was made in 1440x810 and upscaled to 4K.

*In addition to CCS, Belladonna of Sadness also got a new 4K mastering from the original 35mm film negative. Curious as to when (if ever) that title will be released on 4K UHD.
                    Gotcha, I have the Cobra disc (no 4K display as of yet though) but don't have the regular Blu-ray or know how to take UHD screenshots.

Hopefully 4K upscales of cel-based anime doesn't become a thing on UHD as well as BD...

Comment

As far as I know there's no actual way to take proper UHD caps as of yet.

Comment

Caps a Holic seems to be able to take screenshots, albeit converted to SDR. I haven't looked into it much, but I assumed it was done over HDMI after using something to downgrade the HDCP.

Comment

You can decrypt UHDs with AnyDVD for now, provided you have a supported drive.

I imagine this will be upscaled as well, can't see them re-scanning the film in 4K when it was probably rendered in 2K to begin with (if even that.) I don't see an all-digital reconstruction being possible either, if it were then surely they would have done it for the 2.0 version.

Comment

Really late but there's a trailer for the 4K UHD release. The trailer is in 1080p/SDR, which probably isn't the best indicator of quality for this release, obviously. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvG6LwcdVlg&t=33s

Comment

- Ghost in the Shell: Innocence 4K Ultra HD + 4K remaster Blu-ray: cover art
                              - Ghost in the Shell: Innocence 4K remaster Blu-ray: cover art

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X