X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [JP BD] Mazinger Z BD-Boxes

Widgets Magazine
    http://www.toei-video.co.jp/special/mazinger-z

Amazon Japan listings (includes Amz JP exclusives)

- BD-Box v1 (eps 1 - 30): 25000yen + tax. December 6, 2017.
    - BD-Box v2 (eps 31 - 61): 25000yen + tax. March 7, 2018.
    - BD-Box v3 (eps 62 - 92): 25000yen + tax. June 13, 2018.
    Last edited by WTK; 07-25-2017, 12:00 AM.

ネガスキャンHDリマスター
    Holy crap, Toei finally doing a negative scan? About fucking time. I would have been severely disappointed otherwise though, considering Mazinger is probably their most well known series. I just hope they give other series this treatment, and go back and redo their upscales.

I haven't seen all of Mazinger yet, so I will definitely be supporting this, and I'll e-mail Toei to explain why.

Comment

After close to 4 years of FORS upscales with little to no improvements over the DVDs, they FINALLY give a show a proper remaster and from the original negatives?

Does anyone know how the Spain Selecta Vision BDs turned out? Were those upscaled?
      Last edited by NJ_; 07-25-2017, 03:55 AM.
      Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Great ! I guess i may upgrade from the R2 DVDs into the Bluray hopefully they will do the same for Great Mazinger and UFO Robo Grendizer after Mazinger Z
        Formerly "Mazinkaizer" at AOD

Comment

Originally posted by NJ_ View Post
          Does anyone know how the Spain Selecta Vision BDs turned out? Were those upscaled?
          Looks upscaled. Check the post history of Blu-ray.com member SGB for screenshots from episode 1 to 47.
          Last edited by Scavenger; 07-25-2017, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Whoa, is Toei under new management or something? I wonder what it is that finally made them care enough about a show to remaster all its 92 episodes from the original negatives.

Comment

While i highly doubt it will happen, it would be nice to have the English subtitle (from Discotek release) included.

Comment

Contacted Toei Video to confirm that this is indeed a new scan of the negative, and not an "HD remaster" upscale of an old negative scan or something. They confirmed that it is indeed a "frame by frame" HD scan of the negative and not an SD upscale (but the extras will be SD upscales).

However they mentioned in their response that they're going to try and "fix as much of it as possible, so be sure to watch our website."

They weren't specific with what they were going to fix, but I assume it means dirt and probably film grain, so I'm expecting this to be at least a little DNR'd. Personally, most anime Blu-rays with DNR don't bother me too much (I still felt releases like Gundam had better detail than the DVDs even if the DVDs had more grain), but I'll be pretty disappointed if they do use heavy DNR.

平素は格別のご高配を賜り、厚く御礼申し上げます。
                東映ビデオのカスタマーサポートをおこなっております(株)リモートシステム
                ジャパンと申します。
                よろしくお願い致します。

お問い合わせの「マジンガーZ Blu-ray BOX」でございますが、ネガスキャンHD
                リマスターとなります。
                こちらはSD素材等からのアップコンバートによるリマスターでは無く、原版から
                1コマずつスキャンしてテレシネを行わせて頂く物となります。
                可能な限りの修正を行い発売をさせて頂く予定となりますので、是非今後もHP等
                から最新情報をご確認頂けますようお願い申し上げます。
                なお、映像特典につきましては、SD素材を元にアップコンバートした映像となる
                予定でございます。
                予めご了承くださいませ。

最後にお客様からお寄せ頂きましたご要望につきましては、担当部署に申し伝え
                させて頂く存じます。
                Last edited by BusterD; 08-06-2017, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Wow I wonder why Mazinger has gotten this treatment when so many haven't? I mean sure Mazinger was very influential and the toys are still popular but I would say the same about Saint Seiya. In fact Saint Seiya is probably more popular globally than all the rest of Toei's classic properties and I feel somewhat confident in saying would have made much more money than Mazinger will.

This news makes me hopeful that Captain Harlock might get the proper Blu Ray treatment if they have the materials available as I think it's equally influential and still just as popular. And maybe Galaxy Express sometime.

Very hopeful this is the first of many remasters they do over the coming years.
                  Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Originally posted by BusterD View Post
                    They weren't specific with what they were going to fix, but I assume it means dirt and probably film grain, so I'm expecting this to be at least a little DNR'd. Personally, most anime Blu-rays with DNR don't bother me too much (I still felt releases like Gundam had better detail than the DVDs even if the DVDs had more grain), but I'll be pretty disappointed if they do use heavy DNR.
                    It wouldn't be the first time Toei themselves used heavy DNR since that's what happened with the Galaxy Express 999 movie BDs.

Still it would be VERY disappointing if they managed to screw this one up.
                    Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Here's link to episode 1's screencaps, the rest are in that same thread (currently up to episode 49).

Comment

Originally posted by BusterD View Post
                        Contacted Toei Video to confirm that this is indeed a new scan of the negative

Just now noticed that this is pretty much the same boilerplate response I received for Kamen Rider/Kamen Rider Black here: https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/for...805#post515805

I don't think this means they're lying or anything, but I guess they get enough of these questions that they have canned responses for them.

Comment

BD-Box v1 cover art

Comment

It seems that the Amazon exclusive sets will come with a coupon or some sort which you can send to amazon (not physically). This would entitle you to a sturdy box that can hold the 3 sets together. The box art is designed by Kazuhiro Ochi, who also designed many of Toei's classic DVD releases.

Comment

For anyone who's curious, here's a comparison video of the remastered video alongside the DVD version. I'm not the most discerning type when it come to video quality, but I think that looks pretty good. Can't wait to check the set out when it's released.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X