Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer

It does look a bit blurry TBH. Compare the screen caps with the ones from the TV series. I'm not quite saying it's an upscale, but it is listed as a digital remaster though. There's a fair chance that the version of Beautiful Dreamer in the movies box will use a different master.

Comment

Originally posted by progress View Post
      It does look a bit blurry TBH. Compare the screen caps with the ones from the TV series. I'm not quite saying it's an upscale, but it is listed as a digital remaster though. There's a fair chance that the version of Beautiful Dreamer in the movies box will use a different master.
      I was thinking the same, to be honest. It's likely all the movies are gonna look great, and the second looking hideous would of been weird for the box. It wouldn't be the first time a studio handles the job to remaster to another studio to stuff in a box with another movies - You see, Toho itself did it with Godzilla, Criterion remastered the movies, not Toho, who would of used upscales.

Comment

Seeing how Toho is suddenly releasing their version of couple of months before the 'real' box, there's a good chance relations between Toho and Warner have soured on this, to the point where Toho couldn't get proper masters, and Warner won't use this 'upscale' from Toho. The box is listed as an actual 'new master', not a 'digital remaster' like the Toho version.

Toho was supposed to release Beautiful Dreamer on BD 5 years ago, but canceled it and it might be because Warner wouldn't give them proper masters; honestly I feel like this is some sort of 'spite release' from Toho. In any case the problems people are having in finding a copy of this in stores is certainly suspect.

Comment

I don't think Warner had the rights for it 5 years ago, the movie is from Toho no matter what, if the movie is releasing in the BD Box is obviously by an agreement with Toho. And Warner is only the distributor. The production company is the one remastering the mvoies.

Comment

Originally posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
            the movie is from Toho no matter what
            What do you mean with that exactly? Production of Urusei Yatsura (all of it, including Beautiful Dreamer) is by Kitty Films; animation production for Beautiful Dreamer is credited to Studio Pierrot, in collaboration with Studio Deen and a bunch of other studios. Distribution was by Toho, including distribution for theatrical release back in the day, but otherwise Toho had no hand in the production, apart from the fact that a Toho lab was used in developing the film (according to the ending credits).

Kitty Films had to sell Urusei Yatsura (along with Maison Ikkoku) to Warner in 2007 to create some cash flow; Ranma 1/2 was sold to Pony Canyon and not surprisingly the Ranma BD boxes are distributed by PC.

Warner Bros. Japan owns the Urusei Yatsura animation properties, so I would assume if there are original film masters, they'd be in the hands of Warner, not Toho.

Comment

Originally posted by progress View Post
              Originally posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
              the movie is from Toho no matter what
              What do you mean with that exactly? Production of Urusei Yatsura (all of it, including Beautiful Dreamer) is by Kitty Films; animation production for Beautiful Dreamer is credited to Studio Pierrot, in collaboration with Studio Deen and a bunch of other studios. Distribution was by Toho, including distribution for theatrical release back in the day, but otherwise Toho had no hand in the production, apart from the fact that a Toho lab was used in developing the film (according to the ending credits).

Kitty Films had to sell Urusei Yatsura (along with Maison Ikkoku) to Warner in 2007 to create some cash flow; Ranma 1/2 was sold to Pony Canyon and not surprisingly the Ranma BD boxes are distributed by PC.

Warner Bros. Japan owns the Urusei Yatsura animation properties, so I would assume if there are original film masters, they'd be in the hands of Warner, not Toho.
              No no, I thought that all Urusei Yatsura films were produced and made by Kitty Films except the second, which was made, produced and funded by Toho, and that explains why Toho has always had the property of this film since it was made, and you can look it up to know it's a true thing. You can also notice how the movies are different to Beautiful Dreamer. Maybe Toho did distribute, DISTRIBUTE the Kitty Film produced movies (I can't see Kitty distributing themselves) but I never saw a Toho logo on anything else than the second movie.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                It's currently 60% off at Amazon Japan (Usually ships within 7 to 9 days).

Comment

So, people were talking about how the Blu-Ray Box version might be better than the single release- Did anyone ever manage to get that and do a comparison?

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X