X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [JP BD] list of upscales on JP Blu-rays for cel/film based anime

Widgets Magazine
    Might as well bring this over from Mania. Most of the thread is cached on Google (except for the last few posts which were right before the shutdown) for those who want to view the discussion.

Bandai Visual:

Mazinkaiser

The Big O (2nd series is upscaled from digital SD)

Change! Getter Robo

Sakura Wars
    OVA box (based on TV commercials at least, I've never actually seen screenshots or informed reviews; 2nd series is upscaled from digital SD)

Devilman OVA Collection

D・N・A²: Dokoka de Nakushita Aitsu no Aitsu (BVC Shop exclusive)

Magical Angel Creamy Mami ("Eien no Once More" (broadcast version), "Long Goodbye" OVA, and non-credit OPs/EDs are reportedly non-upscaled)

Saint Seiya (TV)

Galaxy Angel series 1 (later series are upscaled from digital SD)

Jubei Chan the Ninja Girl - Secret of the Lovely Eyepatch

Infinite Ryuvius

Crest of the Stars / Banner of the Stars (don’t yet have this, but I assume at least Crest of the Stars was done on cels/film and is upscaled while the rest is upscaled from digital SD)

Happinet:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the versions of the movies in the extras (映像特典) in the original BD boxes are in true HD, all three movies are reportedly included in true HD the 1st priced-down BD box)

Hakugei: Legend of Moby Dick

Starchild/King Records:

Blue Seed

3x3 Eyes

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku-Nuku

God Mars
    (actually encoded as SD so not technically an upscale, the movie and OVA are also SD)

Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars

Akihabara Dennou-gumi (Cyberteam in Akihabara)

Soreyuke! Uchuu Senkan Yamamoto Yohko (Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko)

Kare Kano

Slayers/Slayers Next/Slayers Try

Geneon/Universal:

Mahoromatic (2nd series and 2003 special are upscaled from digital SD, Tadaima Okaeri is digital HD)

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Oh-Ki Sound File (in the OVA BD box)

EAT-MAN/EAT-MAN '98

Tatakae! Chou Robot Seimeitai Transformer & 2010 "Ikki-mi Blu-ray Set" (The Transformers seasons 1-4) (SD on BD)

Tenchi Muyo! TV [Tenchi Universe] (SD on BD)

Shin Tenchi Muyo! [Tenchi in Tokyo] (SD on BD)

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy (OVA & TV) (SD on BD)

Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure (SD on BD)

VAP:

Irresponsible Captain Tyler

Master Keaton

Lupin III
    series 2

Avex Entertainment/Toei Animation:

Galaxy Express 999 (TV)

Tokuma Shoten/Pony Canyon:

Konpeki no Kantai x Kyokujitsu no Kantai (later episodes are upscaled from digital SD)

Toei Animation/Toei Video:

SLAM DUNK (movie box is in true HD, but is cropped to 16:9 from 4:3 as it was in theaters, can be a bit distracting as sometimes you have characters speaking while the top of their head is cut off)

Cyborg 009 (1979)

Devilman (TV)

Captain Future

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
    (movie box is in true HD, but is cropped to 16:9 from 4:3 as it was in theaters, not sure if it’s as bad as Slam Dunk’s movies or not though)

Go Nagai Anime Compilation (SD on BD, included select episodes & films of Toei's titles)

Kinnikuman (SD on BD, another release with select episodes)

Hokuto no Ken [Fist of the North Star] (SD on BD, despite "HD Remaster" DVDs being released in

Avex Entertainment:

Initial D 1st Stage (in "Initial D COMPLETE BD-BOX Vol 1.", following series are upscaled from digital SD until 5th Stage and Final Stage which were digital HD)

Being,Inc.:

Meitantei Conan ("Treasured Selection" Blu-ray series; digital TV rebroadcasts of the same cel/film based episodes are NOT upscales, but not all episodes have been rebroadcast)

Green Bunny:

A Kite (all of it, not just the scenes that were upscales in the Media Blasters BD)

Pony Canyon/Toei Animation:

Babel II (OVAs are not upscales)

Frontier Works:

Ghost Sweeper Mikami (TV) (SD on BD)

Cat’s Eye Seasons 1 and 2 ("Compact BD-BOX" releases are SD on BD, original BD box releases from 2013 are true HD)

NG Knight Lamune & 40 (SD on BD)

Yume Senshi Wingman (SD on BD)

Marmalade Boy (SD on BD)

Gegege no Kitaro 80's BD-Boxes (SD on BD)

Sakigake!! Otokojuku BD-Box (SD on BD)

Kingyo Chūihō! [Goldfish Warning] (TV & Movie) (SD on BD)

Video Maker:

Mach GoGoGo (1997) (SD on BD)

Doteraman and other Time Bokan spinoff series (SD on BD)

Best Field/TC Entertainment:

J9 series (Ginga Senpuu Braiger/Ginga Reppuu Baxinger/Ginga Shippuu Sasuraiger)

Victor Entertainment:

Tanoshii Moomin Ikka Blu-ray Box

Partial upscales:

Bandai Visual:

Uchuu Senshi Baldios
    According to this review: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/customer...SIN=B0119AHJZ8 the following are upscales:
    preview for ep 30 (at the end of ep 29)
    ep 30 main episode + ep 31 preview + ED
    ep 32 main episode + ED
    ep 33 main episode + ep 34 preview + ED
    ep 34 main episode + ED

Macross: Ai Oboete Imasu Ka
    The concert footage taken from Flashback 2012 (as well as the Flashback 2012 disc itself that was included with the LE of the 1st BD release) on the non-theatrical versions on both BD releases is an upscale

Kidou Senshi Gundam ZZ
    Episode 1 (recap of Z Gundam) is an upscale

Turn A Gundam
    Episode 16 (clip ep) is an upscale

Seihou Bukyou Outlaw Star
    Episode 25 is an upscale

King Records:

Shinseiki Evangelion
    Episode 16 is an upscale since they apparently lost the film (even though it was remastered on DVD IIRC)

Fushigi no Umi no Nadia
    Around 7 shots total in episodes 25-39 are upscaled, also all extras are upscaled

Uchuu no Kishi Tekkaman Blade
    The first 11 minutes of both episode 1 and 2 of Tekkaman Blade II are upscales.

Kidou Senkan Nadesico
    Gekiganger 3 OVA is an upscale

Hajataisei Dangaioh
    Episode 3 is an upscale

Flying Dog:

Yuushaou GaoGaiGar FINAL&GGG
    Somewhat distractingly, many random parts of the episodes are upscales (but personally I didn't know it was animated on cels/film to begin with so I was happy that any of it was non-upscaled)

Geneon/Universal:

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Oh-Ki
    Sound File is upscaled (except for the Mahou Shoujo Pretty Samy video)

Aniplex:

Rurouni Kenshin Tsuioku-hen
    Contains numerous upscaled shots of animation that was composited with live action video, and certain shots where the film possibly no longer exists

Rurouni Kenshin Seiou-hen
    Also has some upscaled shots

Did I miss/forget any?
    Last edited by BusterD; 04-21-2020, 02:45 AM.

Re: list of upscales on JP Blu-rays for cel/film based anime

Tenchi Muyo's Sound File (excluding MSPS). It's strange they couldn't properly remake Renai no Sainou despite it being HD in the actual episodes.

Comment

This is actually a thing? How horrifying.
      Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Indeed. DNA2 even used a composite master (which might be all that exists, given that there hasn't even been a JP DVD release until recently). So unless the solicitation specifically mentions "HD telecine", "HD master from 35mm/16mm", etc., it wouldn't be a good idea to preorder something. Commercials will often air before a BD box set comes out, it's just a matter of me or someone else catching them and reporting on them. Thankfully I have been able to do so for shows such as DNA2 and 999.

Comment

Sorry for not following up, but did you mean that these are very good Blurays or not (in terms of picture).
          Formerly "Mazinkaizer" at AOD

Comment

They're not good Blu-rays. They're about the same as DVD. Or worse in some cases, if you hate smeary Q-Tec upscales as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by BusterD View Post
              They're not good Blu-rays. They're about the same as DVD. Or worse in some cases, if you hate smeary Q-Tec upscales as I do.
              I remember seeing screencaps of the Blue Seed upscale that were pretty damn horrifying...
              "Pledge $1000 or more: I will yell your name really loud while I chase a duck."
              -My Collection
              --[plug] I review and blog about anime at Akemi's Anime World [/plug]

Comment

Well, upscales are upscales... The bigger problem would be that these are shows that could be remastered from film instead, with a quality much better than DVD.

Comment

Yeah, but with DNR and Q-Tec upscales, there's actually less detail than DVDs. So it's adding insult to injury.

Comment

After what Avex did to Galaxy Express 999, I'm very wary of how the upcoming Initial D BDs will look. When I had the first set preordered, I was aware of the possibility that it could be an upscale, since Q-Tec's FORS remastering technique was mentioned in the product description. Still, I want to own the whole series on Blu-ray, and even if the worst case scenario materializes, I should still get Third Stage and Fourth Stage with anamorphic video in the second set.

Comment

Oh crap and to think that i sold my Mazinkaizer DVDs to get the BD set. I hope that it's not worse than the DVD at least.
                      Formerly "Mazinkaizer" at AOD

Comment

What was wrong with the Big O's Japanese Bluray? I've watched it and it looked pretty good despite being an upscale for the second half of the show.

Comment

I don't own it but it's an upscale for both series according to Hissatsu.

Comment

Is Captain Tylor really an Upscale? I downloaded the Quattro rip of episode 7 and the detail looks really quite good. I also noticed clear scratches indicating a Film print. It has had zero DNR done to it so there is a lot of Digital noise in the image but I'm not seeing the upscale type lack of quality.

Is this how a QTEC upscale looks like on a Cel based show or am I missing something?
                            Anime MAL/AP -- Collection AnimeDVD/AnimeBluRay

Comment

There were screenshot comparisons for Tyler posted on Mania. There was zero increase in detail compared with the DVDs. They also weren't Q-Tec upscales.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X