Carnival Phantasm (OVA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carnival Phantasm (OVA)

Minor gripe though is that this last volume didn't come sealed like the previous two; the plastic slipcovers seem to get easily scuffed up a bit.
    Got mine today, too. Same thing happened here. It's a minor gripe but now both 3rd Season and Melty Blood have minor scratches on them.

That's probably the only gripe I had with the entire release. To me this is the perfect release. Maybe it's my love of Type-Moon speaking.

Comment

Got my copy in yesterday! Woo-hoo! Sat down and watched it immediately!

I'll probably do a complete rewatch this weekend, so I may change my mind, but right now this third batch of episodes was the most entertaining for me. The Grand Prix episode was the best of all; I laughed the whole way through it. It may be because I'd just completed a rewatch of Fate/stay night, and since that material was the freshest in my mind the jokes were better, but it was done so well. The puns for the car names were a cheap but hilarious gag (particularly Illya's Ber-ser-car, and it transforms too!), and Saber and Shirou's Lion-Go was adorable. The parallels with F/SN's basic story really made the hilarity work, though unfortunately Sakura was underutilized (but bonus points for race queen outfit), and they missed a perfect chance for Archer to utilize Unlimited Blade Works.

I have to say, though, while Holy Grail-kun may have been the funniest thing in the entire series, he/she/it was also pretty damn creepy. Particularly when it was haunting Lancer during the Final Dead Lancer episode. I will hear that evil laugh in my nightmares!

The main thing I have to say about the Fate/Prototype episode is this: they need to properly flesh it out, because I want more of it. Between the brief showcase episode and the information booklet, I got all excited, and there are certainly enough differences and changes between that initial concept and what we know as Fate/stay night that it could stand well on its own as a short series of OVA episodes or a movie and be highly enjoyable. Interesting to see that the initial incident that led to the summoning of Saber was kept pretty much as-is for Fate/stay night (i.e. Lancer's appearance, the attack, the "accidental" summoning, etc.). The mechanics of Fate/Prototype intrigue me as well (the different sigils in particular).

My plastic slipcases had some scuff marks on them as well. Kind of a shame, since so many Japanese releases have effort put into them to prevent such things. Oh well. When I loaded everything into the artbox, though, I put the books between each of them to prevent further scuffing, so I've got 1st Season, Catalogue book, 2nd Season, CP Reading book, 3rd Season, Prototype material booklet, Melty Blood AACC. And then all back into the resealable bag. Not that I'm going to be carting the thing around, but we all know how scuff marks, scratches, dents, etc., somehow manage to show up on artboxes and slipcovers even when you think you haven't touched them or anything around them in months.

The copy I got also came with the Animate store bonus mousepad, which is adorable. Not as fanservicey as some of the other store bonuses, but still fun. Now I get to decide how many of the other store bonuses I want. I'm good for at least another copy, but... well, we'll see.

It is a damn crying shame that the U.S. market cannot support a release like this. Not the show itself, though who knows what the licensing hurdles are like (it was produced by Bandai Visual, but it may not be theirs to license, with the uncertainty of the whole Namco Bandai consolidation of international media efforts on top of that). I mean the quality and extensive extras contained in the release. Sensuifu is right; when you fully load the box, it is heavy. Sure, you could tape a brick to FUNimation's Heaven's Lost Property LE, but that's obviously not the same. The books are all printed nicely, the book content is fantastic, the paper is of good quality, the slipcases are well-designed, the digipaks are put together well and include fun artwork, the artbox is precisely sized to fit all the discs and extra materials. Sure, a lot of titles don't have this quantity of material that could be used, and it's tough to license the material for those that do. But even when a U.S. studio tries to go above and beyond they manage to muck it up somehow, whether through production mistakes, or design decisions that lead to a cheap final product. There are obviously the financial considerations as well, since licensing stuff like this and keeping quality high are things that cost money, and customers aren't willing to pay the increased prices required in order to make such releases worth doing.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to give up on the U.S. market at all, just lamenting the fact that I and others are willing to shell out for extremely neat stuff but there aren't enough of us anywhere except Japan to allow companies to justify selling extremely neat stuff.
      asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
      Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
      Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Just translated the 2 special 4-koma comics that are in the BD booklet for the 3rd season in case anyone's interested.

Link

Have yet to do the one for the 2nd season, maybe when I feel like it lol

Comment

My copy is sitting nicely in SMJ's Japan warehouse. But the problem I'm facing is that it's the only thing I have in their warehouse and shipping it by itself is going to be a bummer.
          Anime watcher from New Zealand.
          My Cel Collection | My DVD Collection | MAL Profile

Comment

Just got my copy of S3 from Celga. (Who, incidentally, didn't really put much of any padding in the shipping carton. They literally took the S3 package, wrapped it in a single layer of bubble wrap, and put it in a snug-fitting cardboard box. Suffice it to say, my artbox arrived with a dent in one side. :angry

On the plus side, I have very minimal scuff marks on the plastic disc cases. They're there, and mostly near the upper edge of the case, but you really need to look for them.

Also, anyone know what the little warning is that's printed on the Prototype book obi? Is it a spoiler warning of some sort?
            Avatar: Ruri "Kuroneko" Gokou from Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai.

I just imagined Najimi wearing a frilly dress and twirling in front of a mirror in excitement... it's horrifying...
            -Tsuyuri, Doujin Work

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Klaus View Post

Also, anyone know what the little warning is that's printed on the Prototype book obi? Is it a spoiler warning of some sort?
              Yeah, it's a disclaimer of some sort. I think it says to first watch the special disc in its entirety before enjoying the booklet. My Japanese skills are poor, so I'm probably reading it incorrectly.

Comment

Since we're talking about damaged goods, I thought I might share that both of the plastic cases of my volume one and two are broken on the top — volume one is only separated about halfway across, but volume two is separated all the way across. I tried to repair them by using some super glue, but super glue won't bond to it. It left a lot of residue, which I couldn't even remove with acetone, so I'm thinking that the plastic cases are either made of polyethylene or polypropylene. I have some methyl ethyl ketone, which I think would work on polyethylene or polypropylene, but I don't think it's worth the risk to try, since methyl ethyl ketone dissolves plastic.

In any case, I said screw it, and I ended up just using a screw driver to place some clear scotch tape on the inside of the case, to keep the two halves of the top to somewhat stay together. The cases are nice, but I didn't want to go through the trouble of trying to return something like this.

Comment

TYPE-MOON Fes. -10TH ANNIVERSARY Blu-ray Disc Box-

Amazon Japan listing

via ANN
                  Type-Moon 10th Anniversary BD to Add New Carnival Phantasm Bonus
                  posted on 2012-10-11 04:20 EDT

Anniversary event's opening video streamed to mark January 16 Blu-ray set

The official website for the "Type-Moon Fes. -10th Anniversary Event-" announced on Wednesday that Aniplex will release a Blu-ray Disc Box of the event with about 26 minutes of new Carnival Phantasm footage as a bonus. The Carnival Phantasm anime adapts an anthology of Type-Moon manga short stories by Kannagi creator Eri Takenashi to celebrate the game studio's 10th anniversary. The box will include footage from both days of the July 7-8 event, including the musical artists' live performances and the videos that were screened there. The performances include the Yuki Kajiura Live concert; the stage events for Fate/Zero, Carnival Phantasm, and Hibichika Radio; live performances by several musical artists; and the encore performances that ended the event.

Type-Moon is creating an exclusive illustration for the box art, and the box will contain a 36-page booklet, the new Carnival Phantasm footage, the promotional video that announced the Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin anime film epilogue, the "Next Type-Moon Contents Trailer," and an original drama CD supervised by Kinoko Nasu.

To mark the upcoming Blu-ray box release, the website is streaming the event's opening video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nPn0IThJU

The four-disc set (with two feature discs on Blu-ray, one Blu-ray for bonus extras, and a CD) will ship on January 16 for 9,800 yen (about US$125).

[Via 0takomu]

Comment

Those who missed the first go around or are looking for a cheap (ish) 8640 Yen collection will be glad to see a listing for the Complete Edition has popped up at Amiami (and likely to appear elsewhere soon I'd guess). http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...27336&page=top

Comment

Originally posted by Betenoire View Post
                      Those who missed the first go around or are looking for a cheap (ish) 8640 Yen collection will be glad to see a listing for the Complete Edition has popped up at Amiami (and likely to appear elsewhere soon I'd guess). http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...27336&page=top
                      http://www.typemoon.com/information/info.html

It looks like it may be select retailers?

Comment

I might need to order this one just in case Sentai doesn't decide to pick it up (with UBW and Heaven's Feel on the way I think they might potentially get it to profit off of the hype wave) as I think they mentioned interest in it at a point.
                        Although with the whole series on one BD disc- I might just track down pre-owned copies of the individuals...
                        Last edited by Sylontack; 02-07-2015, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                          Originally posted by Betenoire View Post
                          http://www.typemoon.com/information/info.html

It looks like it may be select retailers?
                          Amazon Japan does have it listed, so I'm not sure what that list on the page is all about. Though just like the original singles were, it's categorized as software, and thus ineligible for export. I have no idea why; even with the original singles it was largely iffy, except for the third volume coming with a copy of Melty Blood, which this complete collection does not include. Maybe it's just a simple way to render the item ineligible for (straightforward) export via Amazon Japan.

Anyway, I'll probably end up buying this, unfortunately, just to get the EX Season episode on Blu-ray. I already own the singles, with all their fancy extra stuff, and on-disc content. And I already own the Type-Moon Fes. set, which includes the Special Season Episode. But I've kept putting off buying the Take-Moon omnibus that came with the EX Season episode on DVD, only for various reasons of laziness, not because it was on DVD and I was hoping someday I'd get to spend $80 to rebuy the whole thing just to get the one episode on Blu-ray. But now that chance has come up anyway. :D
                          asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                          Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"

Comment

Originally posted by Sylontack View Post
                            I might need to order this one just in case Sentai doesn't decide to pick it up (with UBW and Heaven's Feel on the way I think they might potentially get it to profit off of the hype wave) as I think they mentioned interest in it at a point.
                            Although with the whole series on one BD disc- I might just track down pre-owned copies of the individuals...
                            Keep in mind, though, that the episodes are half-ish length episodes, so with single volume runtimes of 56 minutes, 64 minutes and 63 minutes, we're only talking about 183 minutes total on that first disc for the main 12 episodes. If they were regular length episodes, the set would probably be three discs, not two. This is Japan, not Sentai, after all.
                            asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
                              Amazon Japan does have it listed, so I'm not sure what that list on the page is all about. Though just like the original singles were, it's categorized as software, and thus ineligible for export. I have no idea why; even with the original singles it was largely iffy, except for the third volume coming with a copy of Melty Blood, which this complete collection does not include. Maybe it's just a simple way to render the item ineligible for (straightforward) export via Amazon Japan.
                              Figures that it's classified as software. I don't expect Amz JP to change it.

EDIT: For the heck of it, I inquired Amz JP CS. They said investigation maybe more than 2-5 days.
                              Last edited by WTK; 02-07-2015, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                                Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
                                Figures that it's classified as software. I don't expect Amz JP to change it.

EDIT: For the heck of it, I inquired Amz JP CS. They said investigation maybe more than 2-5 days.
                                Maybe they had autotagged it as software because of the earlier release. Or it's likely that any references to 'Melty-Blood' affects its categorization, since in essence the series is more closely tied to Melty Blood than it is of the other titles in the franchise.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X