• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [JP BD] Sakura Wars OVA BD-Box

Widgets Magazine
    Amazon Japan listing | Bandai Visual info page

via muhootsaver
    Sakura Wars OVA BD-BOX (10 eps) release date 8/24 18900yen. Includes audio commentary: link
    via CD Japan
    Special Features: director's cut version of the first episode "Gouka Kenran" including unreleased scenes, audio commentary
    Last edited by WTK; 04-09-2012, 10:46 PM.

Re: Sakura Wars OVA BD-Box

Holy crap! Instant purchase!

With my only option being to definitely buy this set, now I start wondering about the quality. The first OVA is cel-based, though I don't know how much any of the involved parties care to do a proper HD transfer rather than an upscale. The second OVA is digital, and was produced early on in the whole period of trying to use computers for everyday production tasks so the animation is overly bright and kind of clunky, and is decidedly not HD, so I suppose a decent upscale that shows off all the low-res linework with a minimal amount of smudging DNR is the best anyone can do with it.
    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
    Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Hmmm.... I'll keep my eye on this, but not sure I need these on BD since, as Hayate Kurogane points out, the second OVA would only be an upscale. I'll have to see what the full specs are and see if there's something extra enticing. Now, if they put the movie on Blu-ray, that would be an insta-buy for visuals alone.

Comment

Bandai Visual has added more release details here: link.

Comment

via Amazon Japan - cover art: flat / 3D; packaging shot

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
            Sakura seems a tad awkwardly posed in that new artbox/slipcase image, but it's still awesome. It's a shame that the keepcase covers are just recycled artwork from the original OVA releases, though it's also not that unexpected based on how other Bandai Visual releases have been handled.

This release is still an insta-buy, though as the release date approaches I become even more apprehensive about how the first OVA might just end up being an upscale (probably a good one, but not what I'd want from cel-based animation) and the second OVA will almost certainly end up being an upscale (hopefully decent, but perhaps not very amazing if they try and filter it to mitigate the harsh early digital look just as was done with s-CRY-ed).
            asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
            Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"

Comment

Amazon Japan has updated the release date to September 21st.

Comment

Uguu~

Well, I shall have to spend that allocated money on something else instead for this month, then!

I wonder what the reason for the delay could be? I suppose it's probably just something innocuous, like a production scheduling hiccup. Or something more serious that was thankfully addressed, like some sort of defect in the masters.
                asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

CDJ http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCXA-557

Comment

Originally posted by Njr Resurrection View Post
                    Umm, the CD Japan link was on the first post since early April.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
                      Uguu~

Well, I shall have to spend that allocated money on something else instead for this month, then!

I wonder what the reason for the delay could be? I suppose it's probably just something innocuous, like a production scheduling hiccup. Or something more serious that was thankfully addressed, like some sort of defect in the masters.
                      Did you end up getting this? Still curious to know if the 1st series is an upscale or not.

Comment

Originally posted by BusterD View Post
                        Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
                        Uguu~

Did you end up getting this? Still curious to know if the 1st series is an upscale or not.
                        Sorry, not yet. I knocked it out of the budget temporarily so I could re-allocate funds towards other non-anime things. I have it tacked onto an order with a few items being released in January, so unless Amazon Japan surprises me with a random partial shipment, I won't have the discs spinning in my player any time soon.
                        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

Release date: April 17th

Set includes OVAs:
                          • Sakura Taisen: Ecole de Paris
                          • Sakura Taisen: Le Nouveau Paris

(sources: 1 / ultimatemegax)

Comment

Re: Sakura Taisen: Ecole de Paris / Le Nouveau Paris

Uguu~

Yes, the collector in me wants this set. But these are two awkward-looking digitally-animated OVAs that I can't see being anything but upscaled and not benefiting greatly in any case. *sigh* What to do, what to do...
                            asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

Re: Sakura Taisen: Ecole de Paris / Le Nouveau Paris

Amazon Japan listing

12600 yen, 4/17

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X