Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vocaloid

Widgets Magazine
    Thought there should be at least a thread regarding the Vocaloid scene (continuing from here).

As some already know, Hatsune Miku will be appearing at AX2011. Some details regarding the event can be found here.
    Last edited by Sensuifu; 05-15-2011, 12:47 AM.

Re: Vocaloid

Oh wow. A Vocaloid song is in the #7 position on the top ten singles chart in iTunes in the "World" category.
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

wow, I guess that Corolla ad helped a little bit with Vocaloid exposure. btw, has anyone yet seen the Toyota ad on TV yet? Supposedly their airing it on the Asian channels, but haven't heard anyone actually coming across it.

Comment

There's quite a few on iTunes.. just bought the Just Be Friends - EP by Dixie Flatline. Can't get the damn song outta my head. Although I gotta go buy the live concert CD.. I love the real instruments instead of the synths.

Comment

So, I'm rewatching Yozakura Quartet right now, because I love the manga and love the show as well (though I do have a few issues with adaptation choices), and it made me wonder: does/did Saki Fujita get anything out of having been sampled for Miku? Beyond limited personal career marketing potential, I mean. Any residuals or royalties or anything even vaguely resembling such things? Or was it a one-and-done deal, and possibly no one really thought at that point in time that the whole Miku phenomenon would explode into what it has? Did Fujita get Star Trek'ed? (Like Walter Koenig, not William Shatner, natch'.)
          asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
          Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
          Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
            So, I'm rewatching Yozakura Quartet right now, because I love the manga and love the show as well (though I do have a few issues with adaptation choices), and it made me wonder: does/did Saki Fujita get anything out of having been sampled for Miku? Beyond limited personal career marketing potential, I mean. Any residuals or royalties or anything even vaguely resembling such things? Or was it a one-and-done deal, and possibly no one really thought at that point in time that the whole Miku phenomenon would explode into what it has? Did Fujita get Star Trek'ed? (Like Walter Koenig, not William Shatner, natch'.)
            She may be indirectly receiving royalties from artists/producers that have gone commercial (major label) with their works. Saki could also be receiving compensation from related media like the live concerts, Project Diva, Toyota ads, etc.

But there doesn't seem to be a definite answer or guideline as to how minor/amateur Vocaloid productions may be used for profit (indie label) without paying royalties to the original VA. Apparently, Vocaloid producers can now receive royalties for their creations, though I'm not exactly sure what's entailed regarding commercially releasing works (in the case they later file for copyright infringement/plagiarism) while compensating the VA.

Still, there could be the possibility Saki isn't receiving any compensation other than the 'licensing' fee everyone pays upfront by buying the Vocaloid software. Her manager might've screwed her over like in the case with Yuu Asakawa (VA for Megurine Luka). But considering Miku is the most popular Vocaloid, there's a high chance Saki has come contractual agreements in her favor. As for how much she's getting in return, I'll guess the same, if not a bit more than the producers who've released their works under a label. As for the rest of the VAs, I'm not sure, but hopefully they aren't in the same boat as Yuu. Though things might've changed for the better for both sides (original VA as well as the vocaloid music producers) with Crypton having organized their independent music publication.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
              Still, there could be the possibility Saki isn't receiving any compensation other than the 'licensing' fee everyone pays upfront by buying the Vocaloid software.
              Even getting a piece of that might be a good contract. I would not at all be surprised if she did it on a strict work-for-hire basis. Certainly Crypton didn't expect the software to lead to the phenomenon that has materialized around it. But hopefully if they actually had her do additional recording for the Miku Append package she was able to renegotiate a share of the revenues.
              Avatar: Trixie is appalled by whatever I just said.

Comment

Originally posted by Isuzu Inugami View Post
                Still, there could be the possibility Saki isn't receiving any compensation other than the 'licensing' fee everyone pays upfront by buying the Vocaloid software.
                Even getting a piece of that might be a good contract. I would not at all be surprised if she did it on a strict work-for-hire basis. Certainly Crypton didn't expect the software to lead to the phenomenon that has materialized around it. But hopefully if they actually had her do additional recording for the Miku Append package she was able to renegotiate a share of the revenues.
                Yeah, a portion of the software sales might actually be where she gets compensated the most (as far as direct sales). Otherwise, she should be getting a bigger handful with all the other combined media that spun off the NND craze. I'm still wondering what's with the Toyota ads though...

Comment

Vocaloid 3 is coming out in a week, but I'm contemplating whether I should wait for the Luka append or just grab the editor in hopes the Vocaloid2 soundbanks will be supported. From the looks of it though, V3 adds a lot more functionality for tweaking the vocals without resorting to external DAW support. Still, I usually do post work within a DAW, but realtime edits within Vocaloid will help cut editing time immensely. Still wished Yamaha kept the full editor with the individual voicebanks though.

Comment

Decided to place an order for Vocaloid 3 after finding confirmation that the V2 voicebanks are compatible. Sucks I'll have to wait an additional week for it to ship though.

There's also a huge wave of new vocaloids coming out, including an Engloid (Oliver) by a new company called VocaTone being released under the PowerFX label.

Comment

This will be an immediate pre-order for me. I always thought it'd be cool to hear Lia behind one of the Vocaloids; never really expected it to happen though. :D

Comment

Hmm, I might need to pick up LIA vocaloid myself.
                        Figure Enthusiast
                        Moderator: Comics, Movies, General Anime, Off-topic, Gaming Goodness

Comment

Originally posted by Gatts View Post
                          Hmm, I might need to pick up LIA vocaloid myself.
                          Yeah, I can't wait to see how many people will go back and redo Tori no Uta and Aozora with V3. I might give it a spin.

Comment

Yeah, I can't wait to see how many people will go back and redo Tori no Uta and Aozora with V3. I might give it a spin.
                            I was thinking more along the lines of a "Hello Smithers, you're quite good at turning me on" sound for starting up my computer in Lia's voice.
                            Figure Enthusiast
                            Moderator: Comics, Movies, General Anime, Off-topic, Gaming Goodness

Comment

Originally posted by Gatts View Post
                              I was thinking more along the lines of a "Hello Smithers, you're quite good at turning me on" sound for starting up my computer in Lia's voice.
                              would that be raw, untuned output (i.e. GLaDOS) or tuned? :D On second thought, that's a good idea..I'll try to get Luka to say that. Then when IA's released, I'll simply import the notation.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X