Widgets Magazine

Toward the Terra (Anime Legends)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] Toward the Terra (Anime Legends)

Widgets Magazine
    Was watching through this today and ran into issues with disk 6 of the collection, (typically the last two episodes).

Playback freezes ... then plays on for a bit ... then freezes ... and then this repeats multiple times before the whole thing grinds to a halt. Tried it on both a Panasonic BD player and a Sony DVD player with the same results, (and tried to rip the DVD in the hope that I would be able to get video files I could watch but that returned read errors at about the same area of the disk). No visible issues with the disk.

Anyone know if there is a general problem with this set (or if this is likely just to be a one off) and/or if the episode to disk mapping are the same with the singles so that worse case I can attempt to source a single disk 6 and swap it in (assuming there's nothing wrong with that release).
    Avatar: Kyou Fujibayashi (Clannad) by Fudce
    Currently Watching: UN-GO
    [Collection March '12]

Re: Toward the Terra (Anime Legends)

Originally posted by memyselfandi View Post
    Anyone know if there is a general problem with this set (or if this is likely just to be a one off) and/or if the episode to disk mapping are the same with the singles so that worse case I can attempt to source a single disk 6 and swap it in (assuming there's nothing wrong with that release).
    I don't recall any problems being mentioned (I don't own the show in any form), though others may have.

And if the AL set is six discs, then the episode/disc setup should be the same as the singles, and the AL discs may likely just be new pressings made from the same masters. What does the disc silkscreen say? Or, does the main menu indicate a volume number? One good piece of information that would help someone who owns the singles to confirm whether things are the same or not is the number on the inner ring of the disc on the underside, since that would likely match between the original volume 6 disc and your AL disc 6, if the latter is a new pressing of the former.
    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
    Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

My (bought the singles via TRSI bargain bin) vol.6 plays perfectly so it may just be the newer batch. Post the disc numbers and I'll check mine.

here's mine;

D33241 L1
      Last edited by TheGoldenWaste; 01-28-2012, 08:07 PM.
      Most Wanted US Releases: RahXephon (BD upgrade), Kemonozume | Current Avatar: Charlotte Dunois from Infinite Stratos

Comment

While this is nothing but pure conjecture, I've long held the opinion that the replicator BE used to produce their disc's tries to save money by sticking their defective batches into the collection releases. It just happens way too often, with nearly every collected release. While singles do get bad batches too, it doesn't happen anywhere near as often as it does with the collected releases.

Right now I'm watching through the first MSG collection as quickly as I can, hoping that neither it, nor the second release have defects. Back with Arjuna, Gundam Wing, etc, I remember many compaints about unplayable disc's. There's another topic somewhere about the Gurren Lagann anime legends release with similar isssues. I've loved most BE releases, but the one thing I won't miss about them is their high volume of defective disc's.

And if you can find the disc single you need cheap enough, I say go for it. It'll be more reliable than risking another set with the same defect, or worse yet, another defective disc all together. I unfortunately just had to do the same thing with the 00 AL season 2 set.
        -Keith

Comment

Originally posted by TheGoldenWaste View Post
          My (bought the singles via TRSI bargain bin) vol.6 plays perfectly so it may just be the newer batch. Post the disc numbers and I'll check mine.

here's mine;

D33241 L1
          Looking at the disk which is causing me issues it looks like the same reference number on the central hub as above ... so it looks like the same disks have been used.

The disk itself has "Volume 6" on the front and the menu indicates Vol. 6 as well. It has episodes 21-24 plus special features of "Interview with Creator: Keiko Takemiya (part 6)" and Trailers.

Looks like the best bet then is to order up a single disk 6 and hope that that works ok, looking around that shouldn't be to much of an issue.

Also looks like I should be giving higher priority to at least skimming through any Bandai collections in my back log ...

Thanks all.
          [Collection March '12]

Comment

I have the AL set as well, and the disc numbers also match (D33241 L1). I played the last two episodes back off of the disc and didn't run into any issues with it.

Comment

Well I sourced a replacement single disk 6 and that plays back fine so I've now got a complete working set so I'm happy
              [Collection March '12]

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X