Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] Gundam 00 Season 2 Anime Legends

Widgets Magazine
    I just powered through both seasons, and wouldn't you know it, the very last disc (8) in the second season has a defect. Luckily the eiposdes played fine, but the CB season 2 Chara movie totally freezes up at the beginning. Looking at the disc, there are really strange pit looking marks towards one of the outer edges. They almost look like soap spots from a dishwasher. They're pretty small and round, but the strangest part is that even though they look like pits, they're not on the external surface of the disc.

I've tried varous non-abrashive methods of cleaning, there's no luck getting them off. Since the surface is also smooth to the touch, I can only assume they're in one of the metal layers of the disc. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera to take a picture, but I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar issue.

I've had more than my fair share of defective Bandai disc's over the years, so I guess it's only fitting that they go out with a bang and stick me with a final one...
    -Keith

Re: Gundam 00 Season 2 Anime Legends

If it's freezing at the beginning then I doubt that the spots you mention are cause since the lazer in most DVD players reads the disc from inside and moves outward during playback. They could be glue spots that occurred during pressing but without seeing the disc I could not say for certain. Have you tried it in any other players or a PC?

I don't have this particular series but I have in the past seen odd spot or patters on the back of discs I have had but they never have cause any playback issues.
    Last edited by Orihimes_Boyfriend; 01-27-2012, 09:33 AM.
    My gaming names/friend number. Please fell free to add me to yours or send me a request. I will add anyone from this site who wishes to give me theirs.

Nintendo Network ID: RMP123
    PSN: RYPLYLER
    3DS: 5327-0918-4237

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
      I just powered through both seasons, and wouldn't you know it, the very last disc (8) in the second season has a defect. Luckily the eiposdes played fine, but the CB season 2 Chara movie totally freezes up at the beginning. Looking at the disc, there are really strange pit looking marks towards one of the outer edges. They almost look like soap spots from a dishwasher. They're pretty small and round, but the strangest part is that even though they look like pits, they're not on the external surface of the disc.
      You know what, I think it may be a batch issue or an authoring defect, not anything physically wrong with just your disc. That extra freezes right at the beginning for me on every player I own (computer and standalone) except my PS3. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to post about it back when I noticed it after I bought the original single version.

Do you have any other players you could try?
      asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
      Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
      Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
        I have similar marks on my disc, but the extra works fine on my player. It appears to me a pressing flaw from the replicator.

The marks look like they are coming from the metal layer (reflect the disc and you'll see the abrasions) and it looks like it affected the plastic layer as well.

Originally posted by Orihimes_Boyfriend View Post
        If it's freezing at the beginning then I doubt that the spots you mention are cause since the lazer in most DVD players reads the disc from inside and moves outward during playback. They could be glue spots that occurred during pressing but without seeing the disc I could not say for certain. Have you tried it in any other players or a PC?
        It's an extra and not an actual episode of the show. The extra could very likely be located at the end of the disc.
        Last edited by joelgundam01; 01-27-2012, 06:05 PM.
        Avatar: Satellizer el Bridget from Freezing
        Profile Picture: Yaya from Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai (Unbreakable Machine Doll)

Comment

Originally posted by joelgundam01 View Post

It's an extra and not an actual episode of the show. The extra could very likely be located at the end of the disc.
          Ok then, in that case yeah it could be near the end of the disc but I think it's more along the lines of some type of replication error of some type and not anything wrong with the actual disc itself.
          To Keith and Hayate, I assume there were no deep scratches or anything like that were there?
          My gaming names/friend number. Please fell free to add me to yours or send me a request. I will add anyone from this site who wishes to give me theirs.

Nintendo Network ID: RMP123
          PSN: RYPLYLER
          3DS: 5327-0918-4237

Comment

To Keith and Hayate, I assume there were no deep scratches or anything like that were there?
            My disc is in pristine condition, both then and now.
            asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
            Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
            Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

I agree, it's likely a manufacturing error on the metal layer. Main player I tried it on is my PS3, which plays damn near anything. Older Pioneer DVD player & PC get similar results. While I could play Bandai roulette & try exchanging it, or play the looong customer service waiting game with Bandai reps, I decided to go the far less stressful, but somewhat more expensive route of just ordering a copy of S2 Vol-4. Sure it cost the same as the whole season did on discount, but piece of mind & all that... Afterall, I walked into this release expecting some problem, I just hope the MSG set's are unscathed (so far so good).
              -Keith

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X