Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] Media Blasters/Anime Works: Squid Girl TV Series Part 2

Widgets Magazine
    I received my copy of Squid Girl Season 1 Part 2 last week and decided to play it tonight on my Magnavox MWR 10D6 DVD Player/Recorder. However, Disc 3 doesn't play at all. The FBI Warning disclaimer and the Media Blasters and Anime Works logos appear fine, and I am able to get to the main menu. But once I click on the Play option, the DVD would freeze. Sometimes it will stop automatically and revert back to the main menu, and sometimes the disc is caught in an infinite loop, making it difficult to stop/eject the disc. I know that there is nothing wrong with my DVD player as I played a couple of DVDs earlier today and they played normally. Also I recenntly cleaned my player. I have a feeling that I bought a defective disc. Anyone else who bought this DVD set having the same issues?

Anyway since I bought the DVD set from TRSI I submitted an return authorization request in hopes that I can exchange it for a new set.
    Last edited by Sabure; 12-01-2011, 10:12 PM.
    Currently Watching | MAL Profile
    Let's make anime great again!

Re: Media Blasters/Anime Works: Squid Girl TV Series Part 2

Nope, both discs of mine played without any issues.

Comment

I've only played my DVD's on my laptop (PowerDVD) so far, but I don't think I had any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by bci110 View Post
        I received my copy of Squid Girl Season 1 Part 2 last week and decided to play it tonight on my Magnavox MWR 10D6 DVD Player/Recorder. However, Disc 3 doesn't play at all. The FBI Warning disclaimer and the Media Blasters and Anime Works logos appear fine, and I am able to get to the main menu. But once I click on the Play option, the DVD would freeze. Sometimes it will stop automatically and revert back to the main menu, and sometimes the disc is caught in an infinite loop, making it difficult to stop/eject the disc. I know that there is nothing wrong with my DVD player as I played a couple of DVDs earlier today and they played normally. Also I recenntly cleaned my player. I have a feeling that I bought a defective disc. Anyone else who bought this DVD set having the same issues? . . .
        I've been debating about posting on this very issue since my situation is similar to yours, but I have a new wrinkle to add. I, too, received my copy of Squid Girl Season 1 Part 2 last week and tried watching Disk 3 this week on my Toshiba DVD Video Player SD-3900 that's hooked up to our main TV. As in your situation, the FBI disclaimer and Media Blasters, etc., logos play fine, and the main menu appears without a hitch. Once I hit "Play", however, or even if I navigate via the episode listing, the playback stutters throughout the episode (at least the first four episodes, which I tested by skipping ahead and fast-forwarding through select portions). In my case the audio and video (and subtitles) continue to progress in a halting fashion, never quite freezing completely but never smoothing out either. I haven't cleaned the player, but I had just watched another video immediately prior, and I did try gently cleaning the Squid Girl disk, which looks to be without blemish. (Incidentally, a quick test of the first episode on Disk 4 seems problem-free.) Then on a whim (here's the wrinkle), I tried playing Disk 3 on one of my two laptops, a newish MacBook Pro, and suddenly the disk played perfectly. I've since watched the first four episodes of Disk 3 on my laptop without error. Just this evening, inspired by this thread, I retried the disk in my Toshiba player, and the first episode began much more smoothly but then partway into the opening sequence began stuttering again, though seemingly not through every frame as before.

I'm most puzzled by this occurrence since this same Toshiba player has always played everything except the most damaged disks without problem; it even plays the notorious Higurashi disks that refused to play on my older iBook. As I prefer to watch my DVDs on our main TV that's hooked up to the Toshiba, I'm frustrated by not being able to do so, but since I _can_ watch this disk via an alternative player, I thought I'd wait to learn of any other similar reports before trying to exchange the disk.

If you do exchange the disk, bci110, please let us know what results.

Any other reports out there?
        Avatar: Samson from Banner of the Stars.
        Nagi-sama Fanclub Member No.0002346

Comment

I just played the DVD on my laptop (a Dell Latitude D510 with VLC media player) and it played perfectly. I can probably get away with it for now, but I don't really like playing DVDs on my laptop unless something happens to my main player. I'll wait to hear from TRSI about a possible exchange.

Comment

I had no issues when I watched this title on my Sony portable DVD player.

Comment

Just watched this last night on my Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-ray player, no problems here.
              My copy also came from TRSI.

Comment

I just received an e-mail from TRSI. They're going to send me a replacement disc and it will arrive at my home within 1-2 weeks.

Comment

My copy works fine as well.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine