Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry

Widgets Magazine
    I bought the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack several weeks ago. Blu-ray I didn't notice any issues but noticed something odd when watching the DVD copy.

(sorry for the bad lighting taken with my camera phone, don't know how to take snapshots on a Blu-ray player)

As you see the screenshots have bleeding pixels at this specific scene (around 20:39)

https://imgur.com/a/2p5pb9c

At first I thought it was just a glitched disc so rightstuf sent me a new DVD replacement. However I just replayed the exact same scene and I'm getting the same issue.

Is this a manufacturing issue on Funimation's part? If so I'm surprised if I'm the first to report it unless it's because nobody bothered watching/testing the lower quality resolution of the movie.

What is odd though it that I've also tested the DVD on a separate DVD-only player and even my laptop's DVD drive and the issue isn't shown here on either device...

I can't unfortunately even test the Digital copy I redeemed at funimation.com because for whatever reason their video player refuses to acknowledge their own stream (see the comment section) and I'm even a paid monthly subscriber (though having a digital copy redeemed is separate and not requiring a paid subscription to access it)

https://imgur.com/a/g0ocXsc

https://www.funimation.com/shows/fai.../?lang=english

Good Job Funimation
    so i can watch this on my phone...but i can't watch it on my Computer? alright then. Funimation Logic.
    Funimation doesn't have the movie dragon cry available
    doesn't matter if you have a subscription or not
    Says you need subscription to premium to access... LIES I HAVE ONE AND STILL SAYS THAT
    lies
    If the stream was working I'd test to see if the same bleeding pixels issue shows up at the lowest streaming resolution options

So if it's not a production issue by Funimation that's somehow messed up on a Blu-ray player (that plays DVDs) any suggestions for what settings I should have my Blu-ray player adjusted to to possibly solve this issue?

I guess I can ignore the issue and pretend everything is fine since it's not appearing on a DVD-only player/laptop but it sort of defeats the purpose of playing DVDs on a Blu-ray player if it wasn't configured properly during production (future customers may not have a DVD-only player) I've played other DVDs (even ones from Funimation) on my Blu-ray player before and don't have this issue so I don't think it's as simple as "well it was animated in HD and intended to be watched on Blu-ray disc to properly display it"

Not sure if it's worth contacting rightstuf again (if it's somehow just my Blu-ray player being weird I don't mind sending back the extra DVD copy) Maybe rightstuf will contact Funimation about it but in a previous email I sent to rightstuf they acknowledged they contacted Funimation about the Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie video and audio issues yet Funimation doesn't seem to be planning to do anything to fix them for a newer and more popular title like the Dragon Ball franchise (even though Fairy Tail is still pretty popular). Dragon Cry being an older release makes me think they won't bother to fix it at this point even if it is their fault.

Before I had my replacement DVD disc sent I even asked the customer service agent to test the disc. I was told they didn't notice anything on their end but it could've just been all talk or they just tested it on a DVD-only player/laptop instead of a Blu-ray player since the latter is the only place where the issue is occurring (for me anyway)

For what it's worth here's my equipment details

TV is Toshiba 46XV645U

Blu-ray player is Samsung BD-J5700 (issue appears on its DVD player...)

DVD-only player is Panasonic DVD-527 (looks fine here)

Laptop model is Asus X455L Windows 10 with MPC-HC 1.7.13 64-bit (looks fine here)
    Last edited by VCFan2001; 05-24-2019, 01:50 PM.

Originally posted by VCFan2001 View Post
    I bought the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack several weeks ago. Blu-ray I didn't notice any issues but noticed something odd when watching the DVD copy.

(sorry for the bad lighting taken with my camera phone, don't know how to take snapshots on a Blu-ray player)

As you see the screenshots have bleeding pixels at this specific scene (around 20:39)

https://imgur.com/a/2p5pb9c

At first I thought it was just a glitched disc so rightstuf sent me a new DVD replacement. However I just replayed the exact same scene and I'm getting the same issue.

Is this a manufacturing issue on Funimation's part? If so I'm surprised if I'm the first to report it unless it's because nobody bothered watching/testing the lower quality resolution of the movie.

What is odd though it that I've also tested the DVD on a separate DVD-only player and even my laptop's DVD drive and the issue isn't shown here on either device...

I can't unfortunately even test the Digital copy I redeemed at funimation.com because for whatever reason their video player refuses to acknowledge their own stream (see the comment section) and I'm even a paid monthly subscriber (though having a digital copy redeemed is separate and not requiring a paid subscription to access it)

https://imgur.com/a/g0ocXsc

https://www.funimation.com/shows/fai.../?lang=english

If the stream was working I'd test to see if the same bleeding pixels issue shows up at the lowest streaming resolution options

So if it's not a production issue by Funimation that's somehow messed up on a Blu-ray player (that plays DVDs) any suggestions for what settings I should have my Blu-ray player adjusted to to possibly solve this issue?

I guess I can ignore the issue and pretend everything is fine since it's not appearing on a DVD-only player/laptop but it sort of defeats the purpose of playing DVDs on a Blu-ray player if it wasn't configured properly during production (future customers may not have a DVD-only player) I've played other DVDs (even ones from Funimation) on my Blu-ray player before and don't have this issue so I don't think it's as simple as "well it was animated in HD and intended to be watched on Blu-ray disc to properly display it"

Not sure if it's worth contacting rightstuf again (if it's somehow just my Blu-ray player being weird I don't mind sending back the extra DVD copy) Maybe rightstuf will contact Funimation about it but in a previous email I sent to rightstuf they acknowledged they contacted Funimation about the Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie video and audio issues yet Funimation doesn't seem to be planning to do anything to fix them for a newer and more popular title like the Dragon Ball franchise (even though Fairy Tail is still pretty popular). Dragon Cry being an older release makes me think they won't bother to fix it at this point even if it is their fault.

Before I had my replacement DVD disc sent I even asked the customer service agent to test the disc. I was told they didn't notice anything on their end but it could've just been all talk or they just tested it on a DVD-only player/laptop instead of a Blu-ray player since the latter is the only place where the issue is occurring (for me anyway)

For what it's worth here's my equipment details

TV is Toshiba 46XV645U

Blu-ray player is Samsung BD-J5700 (issue appears on its DVD player...)

DVD-only player is Panasonic DVD-527 (looks fine here)

Laptop model is Asus X455L Windows 10 with MPC-HC 1.7.13 64-bit (looks fine here)
    I can confirm that our Customer Care team does actually test things when customers request it. We have a DVD & Blu-Ray player for those situations.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine
    Working...
    X