• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] Hare+Guu subtitle weirdness

Widgets Magazine
    help!

Re: Hare+Guu subtitle weirdness

Sorry, the Edit function on the previous post wasn't working, so I'll explain here. My DVD set of of Hare+Guu (the one that came with the chest hair wig!) plays fine on my Panasonic DVD player, but when I try to play it on my Apple DVD player it doesn't show up at all -- and the track is listed as "Unknown" instead of "Eng."

What gives? Is this release known for having a weird subtitle setup? anyone else encountered problems with it?

Comment

I don't have this release, but have you tried updating your player? Sometimes updating resolves these kinds of issues, especially if you haven't done one in a long time.

Comment

No,I think the problem is with the actual disc/subtitle encoding. I tried the Hare+Guu Deluxe OAV discs from the same company, and they work fine, with the English subtitle tracked clearly labeled in the menu options. There's just something very strange going on in the TV series DVDs.....

Comment

It could be the way it was authored, though I'm thinking it's the Apple player not reading the PGC table correctly. Usually when discs are authored, subs should be identified and the correct language should be flagged. The fact that your Panasonic player detects this correctly, makes me believe the Apple player might be at fault, which usually is the case for software-tied playback. Though standalone/hardware players do have glitches as well (which require firmware updates), but rarely will they run into problems incorrectly displaying/playing subtitles. Usually if that's the case, the problem would be widespread enough that complaints about the issue would prompt a correction by the publisher.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X