X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] Cats Eye missing words/video quality/grammar

Widgets Magazine
    Season 1

Episode 17 - 13:54 "To take an innocent man, and just throw him in jail and leave them there..."
    corrected line - "To take an innocent man, and just throw him in jail and leave him there..."

Episode 25 - For a fraction of a second, there are little green boxes in the picture at 21:25.

Episode 29 - 2:16 "It will a one-time performance in Japan."
    corrected line - "It will be a one-time performance in Japan."

Episode 34 - 8:31 "Toshio is quite focused, since he wants marry Hitomi."
    corrected line - "Toshio is quite focused, since he wants to marry Hitomi."

Season 2

Episode 4 10:52 "This is the end of line for you!"
    corrected line - "This is the end of the line for you!"

Episode 9 13:28 "Well, if all you can do is steal a police car, so I guess that makes sense."
    corrected line - "Well, if all you can do is steal a police car, I guess that makes sense."

Episode 12 18:46 "It's called a subliminal messaging, and it's an outlawed method of advertising."
    corrected line - "It's called a subliminal message, and it's an outlawed method of advertising."

On season 2 disc 3 something is wrong with the trailer for Ah My Buddha!!. There are a lot of jagged lines. I think the term is aliasing.

Episode 15 3:29 "Yup! When Cat's will be there, we're going to have bogus wedding to stake out the place."
    corrected line - "Yup! When Cat's will be there, we're going to have a bogus wedding to stake out the place."

Episode 19 9:26 "Hello? Are you getting on or not?"
    corrected line - "Hello? Are you getting in or not?"

Episode 27 20:08 "So, falling into this old well turned out to be a stroke of lucky for me."
    corrected line - "So, falling into this old well turned out to be a stroke of luck for me."

Episode 37 6:47 "The boy thespian would go on to now ascend the stairs to stardom!"
    corrected line - "The boy thespian would go on to ascend the stairs to stardom!"
    Last edited by Master Roshi; 12-16-2014, 11:07 PM.

Re: Cats Eye missing words/video quality/grammar

The sentence in Ep 27 is correct as it stands. The Ep 32 sentence is also grammatically correct, though quick would also be acceptable in conversation.

I agree that the Ep 17 line has a mismatch in pronouns.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Roshi View Post
      Episode 27 - 18:54 "Seems like Cat's has even stolen your heart, Detective Utsumi." (change stolen to stole)

Seriously, what is it with this bullshit recently? Did US schools stop teaching past participles some years ago or something?

Comment

Originally posted by progress View Post
        Episode 27 - 18:54 "Seems like Cat's has even stolen your heart, Detective Utsumi." (change stolen to stole)

Seriously, what is it with this bullshit recently? Did US schools stop teaching past participles some years ago or something?
        Er, it's a matter of tense. As a past perfect tense, with "has", indicating a past action that is now evident, that's not incorrect. (Though arguable, to be seriously anal about it, with "seems" included there.)
        Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
        Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
        Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Did US schools stop teaching past participles some years ago or something?
          US schools stopped teaching grammar of any sort many years ago.

As UncleBen already pointed out, the sentence stands as is. The key is simple: remove the word "even" and say the sentence. The presence of "even" will not change the tense or mood of the verbal grouping.
          Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
          Scratchy for Tama is angry.
          Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
            Er, it's a matter of tense. As a past perfect tense, with "has", indicating a past action that is now evident, that's not incorrect.
            You're honestly telling me here that past present perfect of "to steal" is "has stole", not "has stolen"?

-edit: bctaris, it's not even past perfect, but rather present perfect
            Last edited by progress; 12-15-2014, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Er, it's a matter of tense. As a past perfect tense, with "has", indicating a past action that is now evident, that's not incorrect.
              You're honestly telling me here that past present perfect of "to steal" is "has stole", not "has stolen"?

-edit: bctaris, it's not even past perfect, but rather present perfect
              Wait, hold on. No, no, we're in agreement. I mis-read how Mater Roshi was indicating the mistakes (seems a backward way to document it, I think, but my fault for misunderstanding), and thought that you were saying the opposite. So, never mind then.

Comment

I should have noted yesterday that I removed these from the season 1 errors in Cat's Eye because they were found to be correct :

Episode 32 - 6:00 "O-Oh, right. I'm just going to go change really quickly. J-Just wait a minute." (change quickly to quick)

I also updated for season two with its errors and what I think might be wrong.

Comment

I should have noted yesterday that I removed these from the season 1 errors in Cat's Eye because they were found to be correct :

Episode 32 - 6:00 "O-Oh, right. I'm just going to go change really quickly. J-Just wait a minute." (change quickly to quick)
                  No, this is what made this confusing. That first line, if in the subtitles it originally said "stole", then that is incorrect. The way you have it, with "stolen", is how it should have been. As UncleBen said, the second line would be acceptable either way in today's common usage.

But to clarify: the bolded and underlined words are what you believe should be there, right? Or is it the other way around? If the former (avoiding the use of actual grammatical definitions that I, like most people who aren't professional copy editors or 6th grade English teachers, forget or mix-up, so I don't anger progress again ):

Removed or changed words

Episode 9 13:28 Well, if all you can do is steal a police car, so I guess that makes sense. (remove so)
                  With "if" there, that should be correct without "so".

Episode 12 18:46 It's called a subliminal messaging, and it's an outlawed method of advertising. (change messaging to message)
                  With "a" there, "message" would be correct.

Episode 19 9:26 Hello? Are you getting on or not? (change on to in)(The Chief and Ai were about to get into a taxi)
                  "In" would seem fine. (This seems like one of those regional/cultural distinctions in language, where both would be fine in context.)

Episode 27 20:08 So, falling into this old well turned out to be a stroke of lucky for me. (change lucky to luck)
                  "luck" would be the word to use.

But if how you've notated things is the other way around, then forget everything I said.

I'm not sure on these sentences. They didn't sound right to me. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on these and I'll change them.

Episode 18 12:36 The chief must have let slip some things during their amorous banter. (move slip after things)
                  Episode 25 9:20 Don't act so familiarly towards my precious man! (change to familiar)
                  Episode 29 20:41 It was a game. The truth is, back in our own country, we're retirees who aren't allowed to do anything. We only have a few more years to live and this is the one bit of fun we have. (change to only bit of fun we'll get to have)

I'm not sure about these either. They could be correct but, they sound awkward to me.

Episode 25 10:08 You should pretend to be a young couple with me.
                  Episode 26 11:14 We have to just run. (change to We'll just have to run.)
                  Episode 35 3:51 What with the stake out, I haven't eaten anything since yesterday...
                  21:04 Toshi, I have a little renewed respect for you.
                  Those are all subjective uses, none of which, again in common usage, would be incorrect. (Or, they are the kind of things where five different grammarians (or five different copy editors) would have five different opinions, sometimes divided on where they live, or what generation they are from. Style guides used in journalism or other literary fields, in other words, change and adapt all the time on examples like this, each in a different way.)

Episode 37 6:47 The boy thespian would go on to now ascend the stairs to stardom!
                  Except for this one. The tense is wrong. "Now" shouldn't be there.
                  Last edited by bctaris; 12-16-2014, 12:57 PM. Reason: speaking of missing words

Comment

I don't get the debate between stole and stolen. Stolen is obviously correct.

But no one has mentioned the out of place possessive. It should be "Seems like Cat has even stolen your heart, Detective Utsumi."

Comment

Originally posted by Just Passing Through View Post
                      But no one has mentioned the out of place possessive. It should be "Seems like Cat has even stolen your heart, Detective Utsumi."
                      Cat's is short for Cat's Eye. They're never referred to with just "Cat" by itself.

Episode 37 6:47 The boy thespian would go on to now ascend the stairs to stardom!
                      I'm not sure. 'Would go' here is simple past of 'will go', which itself is simple future. This makes 'would go' a future in the past. You can use 'now', 'then' or even 'in the future' or any indication of time, as long as it's something that's later than the period in the past you've been talking about until that sentence.

But it does look at bit weird I agree (which is true for some of other 'not sure' things posted in the thread here). Normally you can fix this by using a relative clause: "The boy thespian would go on to become the one that is now ascending the stairs to stardom!". But I guess subtitles need to be kept short.

edit: The split infinitive is probably a worse offense with some English teachers :D
                      Last edited by progress; 12-16-2014, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Passing Through View Post

I don't get the debate between stole and stolen. Stolen is obviously correct.
                        There isn't a debate; we all know it should be stolen. There is only confusion (mostly on my part, anyway) about what the actual subtitle said.

Comment

I'm not sure. 'Would go' here is simple past of 'will go', which itself is simple future. This makes 'would go' a future in the past. You can use 'now', 'then' or even 'in the future' or any indication of time, as long as it's something that's later than the period in the past you've been talking about until that sentence.

But it does look at bit weird I agree (which is true for some of other 'not sure' things posted in the thread here). Normally you can fix this by using a relative clause: "The boy thespian would go on to become the one that is now ascending the stairs to stardom!". But I guess subtitles need to be kept short.
                          Yeah, I understand what they mean to say with the line, and it can be argued either way. I think it's fair to say, however, from a subtitle script standpoint, that it's not a concise way to write a line like that.

edit: The split infinitive is probably a worse offense with some English teachers :D
                          Yes, it is (and good catch) even though they should stop that. Virtually no grammar book or style guide argues against them these days. It pretty much is only an English teacher tradition, as archaic a rule as the one against ending a sentence with a preposition, designed more to encourage concise or creative writing than anything to do with grammar.
                          Last edited by bctaris; 12-16-2014, 04:32 PM. Reason: forgot to include the first part that I meant to...

Comment

No, this is what made this confusing. That first line, if in the subtitles it originally said "stole", then that is incorrect. The way you have it, with "stolen", is how it should have been. As UncleBen said, the second line would be acceptable either way in today's common usage.

But to clarify: the bolded and underlined words are what you believe should be there, right? Or is it the other way around? If the former (avoiding the use of actual grammatical definitions that I, like most people who aren't professional copy editors or 6th grade English teachers, forget or mix-up, so I don't anger progress again ):
                            Everything is word for word except for the lines under the missing words sections. In the missing words section, I included the missing word and bolded it. I should have made a mention of that somewhere. The stuff in parenthesis is just my guess at how part of the sentence should go.

Comment

I removed these from the main post. Some of the lines sound awkward but are correct.

I'm not sure on these sentences. They didn't sound right to me. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on these and I'll change them.

Episode 18 12:36 The chief must have let slip some things during their amorous banter. (move slip after things)
                              Episode 25 9:20 Don't act so familiarly towards my precious man! (change to familiar)
                              Episode 29 20:41 It was a game. The truth is, back in our own country, we're retirees who aren't allowed to do anything. We only have a few more years to live and this is the one bit of fun we have. (change to only bit of fun we'll get to have)

I'm not sure about these either. They could be correct but, they sound awkward to me.

Episode 25 10:08 You should pretend to be a young couple with me.
                              Episode 26 11:14 We have to just run. (change to We'll just have to run.)
                              Episode 35 3:51 What with the stake out, I haven't eaten anything since yesterday...
                              21:04 Toshi, I have a little renewed respect for you.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X