Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [US BD] Samurai Bride

Widgets Magazine
    I just started watching my copy of Samurai Bride Blu-ray Complete Collection and after a couple episodes I noticed some random macro-blocking and large compression artifacts in some scenes.

Aside from the usual compression artifacts on the key art used for the menu and the artificial grain that's sometimes added to the animation, several scenes seem to suffer from sporadic macro-blocking - especially in dark scenes, OPs and EDs.

A few of the more egregious occasions occur:

On Disc 1, Episode 2 (Kiss, Again) @ 00:40-00:42 (screen capture, mainly the flames).

On Disc 2, Episode 12 (Birth of Samurai Bride) @ 00:01-00:04 (screen capture, all around the edges of the frame).

I thought it might be my player, but I tried them on 2 others and got the same results (unless it's just my discs).

Can anyone else confirm having similar problems?

Re: Samurai Bride

I've noticed on the dvd version that there seems to be something wrong with the audio during the sixth episode. Shortly after the middle break, during the ki training that was disrupted by oil, Jubei says the line "I get it." It sounds like it was recorded way too low.

Comment

I can't confirm those specific problems, having (thankfully?) not opened the copy I bought not too long ago, but it doesn't surprise me.

Seraphim has authored and encoded several Blu-ray releases for Sentai and Maiden Japan that occasionally just crap out like this. Whoever they have doing final QA/QC on the check discs just isn't as keen-eyed as they should be, apparently, though ultimately the fault lies with whoever was working on the disc in the first place, because it keeps on happening.

While it's very unlikely they'll fix it for this release (i.e. offer replacements), but one would hope very much that when they add this to the list of Easily Resolvable Things That Keep Going Wrong With Our Products, they put some effort into fixing it going forward.
      asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
      Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
      Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

I checked the noted areas and I think I can understand how QA could have missed these issues. They’re really blink-and-you-miss-it issues, especially the blue flame macroblocking. I didn’t notice either issue when just watching the show; I had to watch the sequences knowing the problems were there and when they occurred. As I think back, I can’t recall any egregious issues.
        I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
        Stephen King

Comment

Originally posted by E Nice View Post
          I've noticed on the dvd version that there seems to be something wrong with the audio during the sixth episode. Shortly after the middle break, during the ki training that was disrupted by oil, Jubei says the line "I get it." It sounds like it was recorded way too low.
          I can't seem to hear/recreate the same problem, at least on the Blu-ray version.

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
          having (thankfully?) not opened the copy I bought not too long ago
          I would still recommend opening it (if you enjoy Samurai Girls/Bride), those minor QC issues aside, this season is rather enjoyable and fun, so far more than Season 1.

Originally posted by adc View Post
          I checked the noted areas and I think I can understand how QA could have missed these issues. They’re really blink-and-you-miss-it issues, especially the blue flame macroblocking. I didn’t notice either issue when just watching the show; I had to watch the sequences knowing the problems were there and when they occurred. As I think back, I can’t recall any egregious issues.
          I also doubt that many people would notice these QC issues and while I'm not a videophile by any means, small and fleeting video problems become readily apparent (and sometimes distracting) on a 110" viewing area.

I'd still highly recommend purchasing it if you enjoy Samurai Girls/Bride, as the QC issues aren't really that big and really shouldn't warrant a non-purchase in my opinion - I made a thread just to ask if it was only my copy that had the issues or across the board.
          Last edited by dashclayton; 09-28-2014, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X