Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] OniAi - missing extra

Widgets Magazine
    not a glitch, but the Extras are missing the alternate version (episode 1 ED) of the OP. Absent on both DVD and BD versions.

Re: OniAi - missing extra

Still haven't received my copy, but I imagine the chances aren't that good of seeing this rectified.
    Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
      not a glitch, but the Extras are missing the alternate version (episode 1 ED) of the OP. Absent on both DVD and BD versions.
      I assume when you chose to clarify by saying "not a glitch" you mean that it's just one of those "why didn't they include it when they included all the others" situations, correct?
      asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
      Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
      Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Originally posted by Junker Woland View Post
        Still haven't received my copy, but I imagine the chances aren't that good of seeing this rectified.
        It's hard to imagine they will. It's funny how this got past QC though. I mean, the two are drastically different from each other; it's not like a difference between a frame or two, which can be more easily overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
          I assume when you chose to clarify by saying "not a glitch" you mean that it's just one of those "why didn't they include it when they included all the others" situations, correct?
          yes. basically, they included the same creditless OP twice on the disc (two separate video files, same video). Had they included the correct one, but forgot to link it to the menu, that'd be more of a glitch.

Comment

It's funny how this got past QC though
            QC's always funny at FUNi. Sorry...

I don't know, this is the same company that released the broadcast version of an entire show, apparently without noticing (or at least, not until fans complained). In general, my opinion of FUNimation and their commitment to quality is extremely low, so missing a clean OP sequence isn't particularly shocking, which isn't to say it sucks any less.

I'd probably be more upset if my overall interest in the show wasn't so lukewarm (just kinda like some of the characters and animation), but I primarily bought the set to support a sub-only BD release.
            Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

yes. basically, they included the same creditless OP twice on the disc (two separate video files, same video). Had they included the correct one, but forgot to link it to the menu, that'd be more of a glitch.
              Oh, wait a second, that's not the same as what I meant. What I meant was that it's like how I always wonder why they don't include creditless versions of special episode endings, like how final episodes of some shows run their end credits over more actual animation, because it would be nice to be able to see that animation instead of a giant scroll of text, and that clearly FUNimation has a clean version because they were able to overlay their text on it.

What you're talking about is indeed a real glitch, or what for our purposes would be considered a glitch, if they duplicated the same piece of video twice by mistake, instead of including a unique version in one of those spots as should have happened.

Are they individually selectable from a submenu, or are they included in-line as part of a single selectable multi-chapter piece of video?
              asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
              Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"

Comment

Oh, wait a second, that's not the same as what I meant. What I meant was that it's like how I always wonder why they don't include creditless versions of special episode endings, like how final episodes of some shows run their end credits over more actual animation, because it would be nice to be able to see that animation instead of a giant scroll of text, and that clearly FUNimation has a clean version because they were able to overlay their text on it.

What you're talking about is indeed a real glitch, or what for our purposes would be considered a glitch, if they duplicated the same piece of video twice by mistake, instead of including a unique version in one of those spots as should have happened.
                I suppose it's a glitch when you look at it from that angle.. In the end I'd just call it incompetence for not including it at all.
                Are they individually selectable from a submenu, or are they included in-line as part of a single selectable multi-chapter piece of video?
                They're individually selectable and are noted as such. i.e. "Version 2" from the regular OP. They're not contiguous to each other on the same video.

Comment

I suppose it's a glitch when you look at it from that angle.. In the end I'd just call it incompetence for not including it at all.
                  They're individually selectable and are noted as such. i.e. "Version 2" from the regular OP. They're not contiguous to each other on the same video.
                  So, basically, you can select "Version 1" (or whatever it's actually called) and watch version 1, and when you select "Version 2" all you get is version 1 again.

And I assume from the wording of your original post that it's not an authoring error, where the "Version 2" selection is just incorrectly coded to play version 1, and that the version 2 file is still on the disc somewhere but just inaccessible. Or rather, that you checked and the player says each video is its own unique title or chapter.

Slow clap for FUNimation.
                  asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

So, basically, you can select "Version 1" (or whatever it's actually called) and watch version 1, and when you select "Version 2" all you get is version 1 again.
                    yep.

And I assume from the wording of your original post that it's not an authoring error, where the "Version 2" selection is just incorrectly coded to play version 1, and that the version 2 file is still on the disc somewhere but just inaccessible. Or rather, that you checked and the player says each video is its own unique title or chapter.
                    You got the first half right, but, there is no version 2. At all. There is however, two copies of Version 1 on the disc (albeit negligible file size difference between the two). It's an authoring error in terms of neglecting to include the right asset (version 2). It's funny how it was carried over to the DVD version as well. Talk about double oversight.

Comment

I feel this glitch may have been mis-reported

It's true that both textless openings are the same, but when I look at each opening to the show they all seem to be identical, suggesting that there should only be one version of the opening. Now you can make an argument that the end of Episode 1 uses this song, but the text is offset to the right and doesn't obstruct the image at all, so it doesn't seem worth doing a clean version of this.

What I do however note is that there are 2 versions of the ending animation, but only 1 is provided on the disc as an extra. This makes me think we should of got 2 versions of the ending, not 2 of the opening.

Comment

yes. basically, they included the same creditless OP twice on the disc (two separate video files, same video).
                        You got the first half right, but, there is no version 2. At all. There is however, two copies of Version 1 on the disc (albeit negligible file size difference between the two). It's an authoring error in terms of neglecting to include the right asset (version 2).

Well there is technically a difference between the 2 files for the OP - besides for the file sizes.

The second file has a mildly different version of the OP when Ana is on the bed, where the sheets are blue instead of white (lasts about 1 second), here are the *potentially NSFW* screen captures:

http://i.imgur.com/VfiRPIa.png
                        http://i.imgur.com/fuZGHHn.png

*EDIT*

Also worth noting, that in the episodes from 2-4 use the white sheet version (Ver. 1).
                        Then from episodes 5-12 use the blue sheet version (Ver. 2).

So, maybe Funimation thought those were the 2 different versions - even though the difference is negligible.
                        Last edited by dashclayton; 07-30-2014, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dashclayton View Post
                          yes. basically, they included the same creditless OP twice on the disc (two separate video files, same video).
                          You got the first half right, but, there is no version 2. At all. There is however, two copies of Version 1 on the disc (albeit negligible file size difference between the two). It's an authoring error in terms of neglecting to include the right asset (version 2).

Well there is technically a difference between the 2 files for the OP - besides for the file sizes.

The second file has a mildly different version of the OP when Ana is on the bed, where the sheets are blue instead of white (lasts about 1 second), here are the *potentially NSFW* screen captures:

http://i.imgur.com/VfiRPIa.png
                          http://i.imgur.com/fuZGHHn.png

*EDIT*

Also worth noting, that in the episodes from 2-4 use the white sheet version (Ver. 1).
                          Then from episodes 5-12 use the blue sheet version (Ver. 2).

So, maybe Funimation thought those were the 2 different versions - even though the difference is negligible.
                          Hah :D Wow, there is a difference! Glad I was wrong then.

Comment

Glad to help! I meant to post about that months and months ago but forgot - until this thread got bumped that is .

Comment

Originally posted by dashclayton View Post
                              Glad to help! I meant to post about that months and months ago but forgot - until this thread got bumped that is .
                              Never did expect a one-frame 'color variation' to make the difference. Different lingerie, perhaps. One shade difference of the background? eh. Didn't really exert the effort to catch that kind of subtlety, though it's a pretty lame thing to call an 'extra', as I suspected the real intention for that particular theme song was the video that was used, essentially the ED for the 1st episode. But if that's what the licensor provided...

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X