Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [US BD] Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Collection 1 Audio Distortion

Widgets Magazine
    I'm hearing crackling distortion in the audio throughout disc 1 of the recent Blu-ray collection. That includes both the English and Japanese tracks for the episodes, along with the Funimation intro, Legendary Heroes trailer, and the menu. I know it's not my hardware as nothing else has this distortion. I'm using a slim PS3 and it's up to date with the 4.21 firmware. The audio is output through optical toslink to my receiver.

Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: This is actually a problem with the PS3. The discs are not at fault. The Bitstream Direct setting for optical output on the PS3 sometimes doesn't work right with Dolby Digital which causes the crackling distortion. Bitstream Mix is the correct setting to use anyways and it doesn't have this problem.
    Last edited by chronoclast; 05-02-2013, 11:07 PM.
    Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Collection 1 Audio Distortion

This might have been a problem on my end actually. Disc 2 also had the distortion so I did some troubleshooting. I had my PS3's optical output set to Bitstream Direct so I changed it to Bitstream Mix which got rid of the distortion completely. Linear PCM is also clean. On Blu-rays, Direct outputs the separate lossy Dolby Digital track while Mix has the PS3 decode the Dolby TrueHD track to DD.

I guess it's either an issue with how the PS3 is outputting the lossy DD tracks when set to Direct or it's a problem with the lossy DD tracks themselves? I've always had the PS3 set to Direct and I haven't encountered this with any other BDs before. Odd.

EDIT: It's definitely a problem with the PS3 and the Bitstream Direct setting when used with Dolby Digital. The discs are not at fault.
    Last edited by chronoclast; 05-02-2013, 11:08 PM.

Comment

The problem might be because you can't bitstream DD TrueHD over Optical. It has to be converted to LPCM or it drops to the lossy DD core, and when converted to LPCM it will only support 2 channels. In order to bitstream DD TrueHD or DTS MA-HD it has to be through HDMI.

Being that you said you haven't had the issue with other Blu-rays, there might still be reason for concern, but I neither have the discs in question, nor a slim PS3 to test with. I'd say test with other TrueHD (typically Funimation) titles you have and see if there are any that show the same signs as well.
      Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
      Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

I'm very aware that optical can't bitstream DD TrueHD. My receiver is older and doesn't support the lossless codecs, I do switch the PS3's output to LPCM when I listen to 2.0 audio on BDs though so that those are in lossless.

There's just an odd issue with the lossy DD tracks on these FMA Brotherhood BDs, either with how the PS3 outputs them or an actual problem with the encodes on the discs. I'd assume Funi's quality control only checked the lossless tracks. It doesn't matter though as setting the PS3 to Mix for 5.1 or LPCM for 2.0 works fine.

EDIT: It's definitely a problem with the PS3 and the Bitstream Direct setting when used with Dolby Digital. The discs are not at fault.
        Last edited by chronoclast; 05-02-2013, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chronoclast View Post
          There's just an odd issue with the lossy DD tracks on these FMA Brotherhood BDs, either with how the PS3 outputs them or an actual problem with the encodes on the discs. I'd assume Funi's quality control only checked the lossless tracks. It doesn't matter though as setting the PS3 to Mix for 5.1 or LPCM for 2.0 works fine.
          FUNimation has as many in-house QC people as other studios have on their entire payroll. I guess they can still not check for things?
          asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
          Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
          Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
            FUNimation has as many in-house QC people as other studios have on their entire payroll. I guess they can still not check for things?
            I could very well be wrong on that. It would take longer to also check the lossy tracks which is why I thought they might not bother since more people would use the lossless tracks anyways. QC could always miss a problem too.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine
            Working...
            X