Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2012] Area no Kishi (The Knight in the Area) Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    OK, let's do this again now that the regular forums are back ! Soccer anime based on the manga by Hiroaki Igano and Kaya Tsukiyama.

ANN Encyclopedia Entry
    Official site (TV Asahi)
    Crunchyroll's Knight in the Area page

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.
    Last edited by Sabure; 01-06-2012, 07:58 PM.
    Currently Watching | MAL Profile
    Let's make anime great again!

Re: Area no Kishi (The Knight in the Area) Discussion Thread

I am really, really looking forward to this. Giant Killing was excellent and I'm eager to start watching another football based series.
    SAMA-FUN #04 / TOFU #01 / Sentai Kaiser / Game Reviews / Twitter
    Although his fighting spirit burns like fire, his mind is as calm as still water
    Watching: Initial D 5th Stage, Psycho-Pass, Zetsuen no Tempest, Space Brothers, Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, Kamen Rider Wizard

Comment

Episode 1

So we have Kakeru, younger brother to Suguru the star of the team. Add in Nana, a returning childhood friend and an encounter with a masked stranger and Kakeru finds himself with a chance to be playing alongside his older brother.

Nice first episode, definitely going to be sticking with this.
      Although his fighting spirit burns like fire, his mind is as calm as still water
      Watching: Initial D 5th Stage, Psycho-Pass, Zetsuen no Tempest, Space Brothers, Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, Kamen Rider Wizard

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
        Nice first episode, definitely going to be sticking with this.
        I liked it, too. The br0thers Aizawa are going to be a very interesting pair; they're pretty much typical brothers but it seems that their relationship gets a bit complicated regarding Kakeru's belief that he's useless as a soccer player. I kind of curious as to what's the deal with him being so hesitant in shooting with his left foot (lack of confidence, maybe? Or a past incident during a match?).

Nana's very cute, and I like her spunkiness. Developing love triangle, possibly? (I don't know since I haven't read the manga).

Good first episode, but I fear that it could be heading into the trap of being too predictable. I'm still going to stick with it as I see good potential with the characters.
        Last edited by Sabure; 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bci110 View Post
          I kind of curious as to what's the deal with him being so hesitant in shooting with his left foot (lack of confidence, maybe? Or a past incident during a match?).
          Near the episode's end, there was a super fast flashback that seemed to show Kakeru in severe leg pain on a soccer field. My guess is he broke his leg during a match.
          Avatar: Ahiru and Fakir of Princess Tutu | My manga list | My anime DVD list

Comment

Originally posted by LKK View Post
            Originally posted by bci110 View Post
            I kind of curious as to what's the deal with him being so hesitant in shooting with his left foot (lack of confidence, maybe? Or a past incident during a match?).
            Near the episode's end, there was a super fast flashback that seemed to show Kakeru in severe leg pain on a soccer field. My guess is he broke his leg during a match.
            Could be; that would make a player hesitant in using what he may consider his weaker side. Could also explain why he's reluctant to play soccer in front of others.

Comment

This was interesting enough to give a few more episodes to. It's interesting to see the relationship between the two brothers and how Kakeru has thrown himself into supporting Suguru without any thought to his original background as a player himself (somewhat reminiscent of Chihayafuru, where Chihaya's big dream was for her sister's success before she found something she was good at). There's obviously something deeper going on here, and with Nana.

Comment

- Well, my first impression after a couple of minutes is a good one. I hope I’ll enjoy this show!
                - Nana sure is really cute!
                - I already do care about the characters… Nana of course! But, also Kakeru and Suguru. Why does Suguru says that his brother runs away from everything?
                - What is the deal with the left foot of Kakeru??
                - So who is the guy with the alien's mask?
                - So was it Suguru with the alien’s mask? Playing with his brother in the park made him decide to let him in the team?

Well, this one starts really well! Looking forward to the next episode!

Comment

Episode 2

Just when it looks like the brothers were about to make up and Kakeru was about to reconsider quitting the soccer club, tragedy strikes :angry: .

Now we know why Kakeru is so hesitant to shoot from his left side - during a match in middle school, one of his shots inadvertedly stuck the leg of one of his teammates and cause a serious injury. We also learn that Kakeru's inability to finish scoring chances earned him the nickname "Mr. No Goal".

Nice that Suguru is not going to give up on him despite Kakeru's lack of motivation.

But all that might change next week.
                  Last edited by Sabure; 01-14-2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

The brothers are linking up well in the training match but even when Kakeru gets the ball, it's clear he's not much of a striker, so big brother steps in and subs him. He seems to be following the 'be cruel to be kind' way of thinking but seems to come round and want Kakeru to be the 'Knight in the Area'. That is until the end of the episode. Holy shit, the end of the episode! :O

Comment

So, it seem like the writers couldn't resist the

Spoiler ->Random Vehicle Attack

ploy.

We'll see where it goes from here.
                      Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                      Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                      Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                        So, it seem like the writers couldn't resist the

Spoiler ->Random Vehicle Attack

ploy.

We'll see where it goes from here.
                        That's how it was in the manga apparently, based on some of the comments I read on other forums.

Comment

Episode 3

As soon as the organ donor thing (makes me think a bit of another series, though I won't mention the name since it would be a massive spoiler for it) was mentioned, I knew exactly what was going to happen with that... It's interesting how they foreshadowed the whole "heart" thing earlier on. I wasn't even thinking about that when I was watching the second episode (I had been spoiled that something fatal was likely going to happen there before watching it).

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                            It's interesting how they foreshadowed the whole "heart" thing earlier on. I wasn't even thinking about that when I was watching the second episode (I had been spoiled that something fatal was likely going to happen there before watching it).
                            I have to admit that after I watched the end of the second episode with the accident, my curiosity kicked in and I did some quick research at a couple of sites (CR and Wikipedia actually). So I kinda knew what was going to happen in this episode as well. Personally I don't like that sort of plot devise, but if they can back it up with a good story then I guess it's passible in my view.

I thought that this episode went better than I expected. It was emotional, but not too emotional. I liked how they used the flashbacks in the first half (and we discovered the origin of Nana's nickname ). The brothers and Nana developed a strong relationship through soccer, which was very cool. Also loved how Kakeru/Sugura saved that little girl's life in the end with that impressive kick.
                            Last edited by Sabure; 01-20-2012, 09:07 PM.

Comment

The plot attacks with vehicle! It's super effective. Yeah, I'm starting to think vehicles are out to get anime characters.

In any case, the show isn't wowing me yet, but it could work I suppose. A lot depends on how they handle the next couple of episodes.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X