Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Spring 2022 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2022] Currently Watching (Spring 2022 Edition)

Widgets Magazine
    Winter flew by just like that, and now it's the spring and as far as Japan is concerned, the start of everything. As such, time for a new one of these threads like always.

The link to the Winter 2022 Edition
    Spring 2022 Anime Chart
    Spring 2022 Anime Lineup Thread

Note
    - Change the title of your post to reflect the contents.
    - Do not use the Reply to Thread button; instead, click quote on the post you wish to reply to, or on this post if you're starting a new subthread.
    - Edit down the quoted section to the relevant bits, nobody needs to read someone's epic list of watched stuff twice.
    - Be nice to one another.
    - Please discuss only what you are watching this season in this thread. Stuff watched during other seasons should be discussed in their respective threads.

Also, I'd like to add the following. The Currently Watching Thread is mainly meant for a general overview of how you're currently feeling about shows. It is not supposed to be a replacement for actual discussion threads. Try to keep heavier discussion (if possible) in the more specific discussion threads.

In addition, try to be careful of spoilers here. It's one thing if it's properly tagged and such. However, I don't want people to have to worry about someone randomly posting "Wow, X died in episode 17 of Y". Just a randomly made up example, but you get the idea.

MyAnimeList | Avatar: Kizuna Kazayama, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Love Live!, Buddy Complex, Blue Period, Wonder Egg Priority
    Simulcasts: HZG, DAL, MMZ, KGS, KCC, LGH, RSH, RKO, SHE, TNB, SXF, KKD, KGN, YKN, AAS, DEA, ESL, SJC, PPK, MJS, AHA, WOM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Spring 2022 Simulcast Interest List

Time for my quarterly interest list for simulcasts, which hasn't changed from last time. But now that Disney has entered the arena and they are not simulcasting stuff like how Netflix usually operates that it has thrown quite a curveball in figuring things out.

IN
    [HZG-3] Ascendance of a Bookworm Season 3
    [DAL-4] Date A Live IV
    [MMZ-2] The Demon Girl Next Door Season 2
    [KGS-3] Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Ultra Romantic
    [KCC-2] Komi Can't Communicate Season 2
    [LGH-N3] Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Collision
    [RSH-2] The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 2
    [RKO-2] Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It r=1-sin(θ)
    [SHE] Shenmue
    [TNB-2] Tiger & Bunny 2
    [SXF] Spy x Family
    [PMM-MR3] Magia Record Final Season (special)
    [KKD] I'm Kodama Kawashiri (short)
    [KGN-2] Kaginado Season 2 (short)
    [YKN-4] Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki Season 4 (short)

PROBABLE
    [AAS] Aoashi
    [DEA] Deaimon
    [ESL] Estab-Life: Great Escale
    [SJC] Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
    [PPK] Ya Boy Kongming!
    [MJS] Mahjong Soul Pon (short)

QUESTIONABLE
    [AHA] Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
    [BWG] Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story
    [CCK] A Couple of Cuckoos
    [DDD] Dance Dance Danseur
    [DWW] The Dawn of the Witch
    [HLM] Don't Hurt Me, My Healer!
    [SVR] The Executioner and Her Way of Life
    [FFA] Fanfare of Adolescence
    [HRT] Heroines Run the Show
    [IQH] I'm Quitting Heroing
    [KUT] In the Heart of Kunoichi Tsubaki
    [LWD] Love After World Domination
    [LAP] Love All Play
    [RRE] RPG Real Estate
    [SKA] Skeleton Knight in Another World
    [TDG] Tomodachi Game
    [WOM] Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs
    [ONP] Onipan! (short)

DOUBTFUL
    [BRS-DF] Black Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall
    [DCN-Z] Detective Conan: Zero's Tea Time
    [GTN] The Greatest Demon Lord is Reborn as a Typical Nobody
    [HGR] Healer Girl
    [SYI] Miss Shachiku and the Little Baby Ghost
    [STR] Summer Time Rendering

OUT
    AMAIM Warrior at the Borderline Part 2
    Kingdom Season 4
    Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club Season 2
    Shin Ikkitosen
    Simulcasts: HZG, DAL, MMZ, KGS, KCC, LGH, RSH, RKO, SHE, TNB, SXF, KKD, KGN, YKN, AAS, DEA, ESL, SJC, PPK, MJS, AHA, WOM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: April 1-15

Here's the first post-simulcast report for the spring season, and for a change I actually have it written before the next one is due. This one is much shorter than the winter season ones seeing that I'm more out and about in the spring unlike with the winter season. Seeing that I'm on my last month with my Funimation subscription that I decided to prioritize watching stuff that hasn't been migrated over to Crunchyroll yet, which includes a show whose uncut version hasn't made its way yet.

* indicates a simulcast and will not be reviewed in this post
      ^ indicates a show being rewatched

Completed

*The Case Study of Vanitas: A-

*How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom: B-

*Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department: B-

*Magia Record: Final Season: C+

*Arifureta: From Commonplace to World Strongest Season 2 Special: B-

Kuroko's Basketball Season 3 (13-26): A
      This show saves its best for last as the game in the first half was very tense, and it outdoes that with the championship match in the second half that does an excellent job with building team chemistry. The action continues to be strong, but it's the character development and chemistry building that goes to an entirely new level that makes it such an amazing product in the end. And in the middle is a nice way to finally explain how life was like as a member of the Teiko Dream Team. Just about the only thing keeping this from masterpiece status is the pacing as it felt like things were really dragging on.

Kuroko's Basketball: The Last Game (movie): A-
      After an incredible finish to the third season, this movie puts a nice wrap on things going to show that while these boys are the best in Japan, there are stronger opponents around the world, especially in America. This movie does a nice job in bringing the Generation of Miracles together one last time and maintaining the intensity that has driven this show nicely, followed up by a great ending that goes to show just how much the characters have grown. Just about the only thing that makes this a bit inferior to the main series are the movie-exclusive characters that are just unlikable and have no depth whatsoever.

High School DxD Hero (0-12): C+
      After a weak first season followed by a strong second season and a solid third season, this one doesn't quite stack up as well as the second and third seasons, albeit being better than the first. While the show does a solid job with character building and using ecchi very well, this season gets dinged for the dropoff in production values and the lack of depth for the second half, aside from that it still continues to be satisfying for fans of this show.

Ongoing

^[KCC] Komi Can't Communicate (4-6)
      [OPC] One Piece (747-762)
      [TNB-2] Tiger & Bunny 2 (1-13)

Comment

Spring 2022: First Impressions

Now that everything has aired at least one episode that it's time for me to do my first impressions.

Red Zone

Shenmue - Continuing from winter
        I'm Kodama Kawashiri (short) - Continuing from winter
        Ascendance of a Bookworm Season 3 - Things pick up quite nicely from where they left off immediately getting to the root of the problems where season 2 left off. While the show continues to find moments to put Main's silly imaginations at work so far, it has been greatly focused on the serious matters at hand.
        Date A Live IV - This season doesn't waste any time getting back to the main matters at hand as the storytelling takes a step up compared to the first three seasons. While the new studio doesn't have as much prestige as the ones that did the first two seasons, its production values are improved, and it makes a difference.
        The Demon Girl Next Door Season 2 - This show continues to be cute, and the storytelling is solid as well as the season involves a much different setting with two magical girls moving in to become next door neighbors. The show's comedy continues to be excellent as well.
        Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 3 - The show continues to really bring it with the comedy as it's funny as ever, all while the new characters and crazy plot twists make this season another great one.
        Komi Can't Communicate Season 2 - The season picks up right where things left off as it's funny once again, while doing an excellent job in utilizing Komi's unwillingness to speak in the right way.
        Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Collision - This season continues to be more focused on Reinhard than Yang like with the second season, and his story is definitely more interesting. This season spends more time focusing on Reinhard's admirals and it does a nice job in making this show more well-rounded than the previous seasons.
        The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 2 - After a strong first season, this one begins dragging its feet as it adapts one of the weaker parts of the manga and is cutting corners in order to get straight to the first big battle of the season.
        Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It Season 2 - The comedy and use of scientific terms continues to be well-utilized, all while the new characters are making their presence known in a big way.
        Tiger & Bunny 2 - So far, the first half has pretty much been a carbon copy of the first half of the first season with the only difference being the three new heroes and the buddy system. That said, this season just doesn't stack up well with the first as the storytelling is nowhere near as strong, and one of the new characters is just way too annoying. But it's still has many of the same great qualities as the first season as the drama and action are still great as I remember it.
        Aharen-san wa Hakarenai - This show is a cute and amusing slice-of-life comedy, but it does more than just that as it does a great job in establishing a strong relationship between the two leads. Just about the only fault this show has is the animation quality as it would have been much better with a more reputable animation staff doing it.
        Aoashi - Production IG continues to show why they are one of the best in the business, especially when it comes to sports shows as the production team's experience in doing Haikyu and Kuroko's Basketball really comes through in a big way. While soccer is front and center, it also puts its priorities in the right place as it's about the MC coming of age, and the storytelling is nicely done.
        Deaimon: Recipe for Happiness - This is a straightforward slice of life show that is all about establishing a father-daughter relationship, as well as bringing in supporting characters for the leads to establish relationships with, kind of like what Barakamon does. The storytelling has been great, and the animation style suits the show. While this a straight-up story, it's an effective one.
        Estab Life: Great Escape - While the CG will turn people away from this show, it has great drama and interesting characters. While the episodic formula of the show will leave it with a mixture of strong and weak episodes, it's certainly an amusing show.
        Spy x Family - Given the hype around this show that I was expecting big things from it, and that's exactly the case here as just about everything is perfect from the animation, characters, story, and concept. There's just nothing bad to say about this show.
        Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs - This show has strong source material, but knowing Engi, they are prone to messing it up. It looked that way in the early going, but the show has become much more interesting once things settle down, and while it still has its flaws, it's something to look forward to every week.
        Ya Boy Kongming! - P.A. Works does it again as the show has a very creative concept, bringing in a historical figure who was well known for being a legendary strategist, and using his tricks to help a struggling musician get her career off and running. The songs are great, the animation is another gem, but above all there's great character development going on.
        Kaginado Season 2 (short) - Things pick up nicely with the introduction of the Angels Beats cast, and it's good to have more possibilities down the line.
        Mahjong Soul Pon (short) - This short makes good use of its limited run time as the jokes are pretty amusing to say the least.
        Onipan! (short) - This is a collection of short segments stitched together to form half-length episodes that are enjoyable with a kid's mentality seeing that it airs in the middle of a morning kids show. Wit does a great job with the animation once again, which makes quite a difference for a short seeing that they are usually done by no-name studios.
        Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki Season 4 (short) - It's more of the same, but it continues to do a nice job mixing up the jokes.

Midfield

Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story - This sports show is all about the action as that is well-animated, but storywise, nothing much has materialized as there's just a lot of setup going on and it's not clear what this show is trying to accomplish on that end. Even so, the great animation would be more than enough to merit strong consideration.
        A Couple of Cuckoos - This romcom has an interesting concept with kids switching families by accident at birth, and then they have a fateful encounter where it turns out that they are couples for an arranged marriage. So far, it has done a nice job in establishing its premise, but how well this show fares will be determined by how it handles the harem aspect of things, and with two cours it will have plenty of time to straighten that out.
        Dance Dance Danseur - This is a show that could either be something great or something bad depending on how the cards are played. While the show does a nice job of building up intrigue, at the same time the characters are just hard to get behind, at least in the early going. Nevertheless, the dancing is well-animated, and the show has some interesting themes going on.
        Dawn of the Witch - Being the sequel to Grimoire of Zero that its profile is there, but so far the show hasn't delivered. While the show does a nice job with character introductions, the storytelling hasn't been on its game as it's hard to figure out what to make of everything.
        Heroines Run the Show - This is another simple slice-of-life show in that the MC becomes an apprentice manager to a famous idol duo, and combined with great production values that Honeyworks shows have, the show has the potential to be something great. But at the same time, the show has been rough around the edges as it tends to overplay the MC's lack of awareness too much.
        Love After World Domination - Fresh off watching Miss Kuroitsu, this is another one of those shows in the tokusatsu genre where the focus is on comedy rather than action, and in this case romance between one of the good guys and one of the bad guys happening in the background. It's funny and by being outside the box that it stands out, but at the same time it has the potential to become terribly repetitive.
        Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie - The show has strong source material, but that hasn't exactly translated well as it's a mixed bag so far ranging from great to bland. The characters are nice and there's some decent relationship building going on, but the show's repeated use of gimmicks of the MC's bad luck and Shikimori's do-it-all personality is leading it to become stale at times.
        Skeleton Knight in Another World - The show had a pretty poor start with the rape scene and a story that doesn't do much, but after that the show becomes intriguing. It remains to be seen if the show can build off it as it has the potential to be better than the typical isekai show.
        Tomodachi Game - This show is supposed to have strong source material, but so far it hasn't really materialized as there's so much attention being paid to the game that it comes at the cost of character depth. And being by a no-name studio, the animation doesn't exactly hit its mark.

Own 20

Black Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall - This show has some great artwork as the character designs are nice, while the action is well-animated. But storywise there's just no direction or clarity as to what is supposed to happen in this show. Of course, being a Disney+ exclusive without any plans of releasing it in America will automatically land it in the low tier.
        Detective Conan: Zero's Tea Time - Compared to the mystery-driven main series, this is a nice way to complement it as it's all about the daily life of Toru and him running his coffee shop. Pretty laid-back way to pass the time. As with all other shows that aren't being simulcast it's automatically in this tier for that.
        Don't Hurt Me, My Healer! - This show has a cute MC and some jokes that are occasionally funny, and that's it. Just about everything else makes this show a total snoozefest.
        The Executioner and Her Way of Life - While this show has an interesting setup and intriguing characters, the show's story just feels flat and the production values are on the lower end for a show done by J.C. Staff.
        Fanfare of Adolescence - While this show has great production values and is trying to set itself up for some major character development, the execution has just been way off the mark with numerous needless sidetracks characters that give off a bad first impression.
        The Greatest Demon Lord is Reborn as a Typical Nobody - This is a highly cliched fantasy show that pretty much rips off The Misfit at Demon King Academy and doesn't have nearly an interesting setup as that show. It's generic and the characters are a forgettable bunch that pretty much makes this show not worth it.
        Healer Girl - It's one of those shows with a generic setup, and while the songs are good and the show has a nice concept, it's just one of those shows with that been there, done that feeling.
        I'm Quitting Heroing - Seeing that the manga is mediocre and the studio's poor track record that I wasn't expecting much. While it has been better than expected with a good amount of character depth and an interesting setup, I find nothing outside the box that has been done in these kinds of shows before.
        In the Heart of Kunoichi Tsubaki - While the show has nice production values and an interesting setup, the characters so far haven't stood out, and when the supporting cast is more interesting than the main cast that's usually not a good thing.
        Love All Play - While it's a sports show with a great setup, this show has done nothing to set itself apart from other sports shows as it's doing only the minimum for sports shows and not doing anything to go beyond what has been tried and true. Character development just isn't there to make it worthwhile unlike with something like Aoashi or Haikyu.
        Miss Shachiku and the Little Baby Ghost - The show is cute, and the setting is creative, I'll give it that. But in the end its low production values and repetitiveness is going to keep me away in all likelihood.
        RPG Real Estate - The girls are cute, the artwork is nice, and the humor is decent, but in the end it's one of those shows that has been done much better than this as it's just bland and repetitive, all while the girls just don't stand out.
        Summer Time Rendering - This show has a lot of intrigue and great drama so far as it's a mystery that has a lot going for it. Like Black Rock Shooter, it's automatically in this tier because it's being jailed by Disney.

Comment

Spring 2022

01. Spy x Family (A)
          02. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Ultra Romantic | Kaguya-sama: Love Is War - Ultra Romantic (A)
          03. One Piece (A)
          04. Kingdom 4th Season (A-)
          05. Paripi Koumei | Ya Boy Kongming! (B+)
          06. Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. 2nd Season | Komi Can't Communicate (B+)
          07. Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Gekitotsu | Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Collision (B)
          08. Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai 2nd Season | Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club (B)
          09. Kakkou no Iinazuke | A Couple of Cuckoos (B-)
          10. Ao Ashi (B-)
          11. Dance Dance Danseur (B-)
          12. Deaimon (B-)
          13. Aharen-san wa Hakarenai (B-)

Dropped:

14. Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 2 | The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 2 (C+) 4 episodes
          15. Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san | Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie (C+) 3 episodes

Services

Crunchyroll (11) Spy x Family, Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Ultra Romantic, One Piece, Kingdom 4th Season, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Gekitotsu, Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai 2nd Season, Kakkou no Iinazuke, Ao Ashi, Dance Dance Danseur, Deaimon, Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
          HIDIVE (1) Paripi Koumei
          Netflix (2) Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. 2nd Season

Weekly Schedule

Sunday (0)
          Monday (0)
          Tuesday (0)
          Wednesday (2) Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. 2nd Season, Deaimon
          Thursday (2) Paripi Koumei, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Gekitotsu
          Friday (3) Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Ultra Romantic, Dance Dance Danseur, Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
          Saturday (6) Spy x Family, One Piece, Kingdom 4th Season, Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai 2nd Season, Kakkou no Iinazuke, Ao Ashi
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          Fandom Post Radio

Comment

Simulcast Rankings: April 2022

With one month and change in the books for this season that I now need to do my long overdue rankings for the first month of this season that is just a few days away from reaching the midpoint. As usual for the spring season, baseball terminology is used, all while I will indicate where I stand as far what I have decided to watch, what I have dropped, and what I'm thinking about, in black, red, and blue, respectively. For the most part, I will base my rankings on where things stand as of April 30, although my impressions of some shows have really changed since then.

Home Run
            Spy x Family
            Kaguya-sama: Love is War -Ultra Romantic-
            Ascendance of a Bookworm Season 3
            Komi Can't Communicate Season 2
            Ya Boy Kongming!

Base Hit
            Aoashi
            Summer Time Rendering
            The Demon Girl Next Door Season 2
            Deaimon: Recipe for Happiness
            A Couple of Cuckoos
            Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It r=1-sinθ
            Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
            Date A Live IV

Walk
            Love After World Domination
            Dance Dance Danseur
            Heroines Run the Show
            Tiger & Bunny 2
            Skeleton Knight in Another World
            Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs
            The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 2
            Kaginado Season 2
            Estab-Life: Great Escape
            Detective Conan: Zero's Tea Time
            Magia Record: Final Season
            Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
            Tomodachi Game

Flyout
            Healer Girl
            Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story
            Black Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall
            Shenmue
            Miss Shachiku and the Little Baby Ghost
            The Executioner and Her Way of Life
            I'm Quitting Heroing

In the Heart of Kunoichi Tsubaki
            Onipan!
            Love All Play
            RPG Real Estate

The Dawn of the Witch
            Mahjong Soul Pon
            Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki Season 4

Strikeout
            Fanfare of Adolescence
            Don't Hurt Me, My Healer!
            The Greatest Demon Lord is Reborn as a Typical Nobody

I'm Kodama Kawashiri

This season is unusual as there are no shortage of shorts this season compared to the winter, all while Summer Time Rendering is a show I probably would have watched had it not been snapped up by Disney with no knowing when it will come out.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: April 16-30

Another post-simulcast report as I'm quickly falling behind on them.

Completed

*Salaryman's Club: B

Love Live! School Idol Project (1-13): B
              This is an idol show that has great songs, production values, and a strong story concept about girls becoming idols to save a school from shutting down. While those things make this show worthwhile to watch and launched this franchise into being the revenue-generating machine it has become, the story writing and characterizations were rough around the edges. In particular, there were a couple of really annoying characters that ruined the show, all while the writing took too many convenience. But in the grand scheme of things, it accomplished what it sets out to do as it leads to a solid ending that sets the stage up nicely for the second season.

^Alice in Deadly School (special): D+
              This is just the side-story to Gekidol, and it's a show that makes it pretty clear that it was done on a shoestring budget. The production values are terrible, and just about the only good thing about this show is the relationship building between the two main characters in this special. At least it's better than the TV series as that is just a boring show overall. But at least this special has some things going for it.

Love Live! School Idol Project Season 2 (1-13): B+
              The first season did a great job in setting the table for the second season where a number of issues that plagued the first season were corrected, and in particular far fewer conveniences were taken in the story writing. The season does a better job with character development without compromising the nature of the characters, all while the show does a better job with the drama and buildup. It still is plagued by its other problems from the first season, but this season makes them more tolerable for a fun and enjoyable experience.

*Shenmue: C

Love Live! School Idol Project Movie: B+
              The movie puts everything built up from the TV series together, and with production values from a film that it makes for visuals and music to take the next step up. The show introduces a new problem, and that is well thought-out to keep things fresh as it puts a nice cap on this series.

Ongoing

^[BLP] Blue Period (4-5)
              [BCX] Buddy Complex (1-11)
              [OPC] One Piece (763-782)
              Last edited by Buckeye; 06-11-2022, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Spring 2022: Finalized Watchlist

My list has been mostly figured out for quite some time, but again it's that last show that has me going into overtime in trying to figure out what that will be. But the rest of the shows have been finalized for weeks now, and here is my season watchlist. As usual, it's in order of when I called them in.

Watching
                • Ascendance of a Bookworm Season 3
                • Date A Live IV
                • The Demon Girl Next Door Season 2
                • Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Ultra Romantic
                • Komi Can't Communicate Season 2
                • Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Collision
                • The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 2
                • Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It Season 2
                • Spy x Family
                • Ya Boy Kongming!
                • Estab Life: Great Escape
                • Deaimon: Recipe for Happiness
                • Aoashi
                • A Couple of Cuckoos
                • Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs
                • Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
                • Heroines Run the Show
                • Love After World Domination
                • Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story
                • Dance Dance Danseur
                • Skeleton Knight in Another World
                • Tomodachi Game
                • I'm Kodama Kawashiri (short)
                • Kaginado Season 2 (short)
                • Mahjong Soul Pon (short)
                • Onipan! (short)
                • Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki Season 2 (short)

Dropped
                • Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
                • The Dawn of the Witch
                • In the Heart of Kunoichi Tsubaki
                • Summer Time Rendering
                • Black Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall
                • Detective Conan: Zero's Tea Time
                • I'm Quitting Heroing
                • The Executioner and Her Way of Life
                • Healer Girl
                • Love All Play
                • Miss Shachiku and the Little Baby Ghost
                • Don't Hurt Me, My Healer!
                • Fanfare of Adolescence
                • RPG Real Estate
                • The Greatest Demon Lord is Reborn as a Typical Nobody

Here's the weekly breakdown with the left number being total number of shows and the right being total number of shows with standard-length episodes only on that day:

Sunday (1): Trapped in a Dating Sim
                Monday (1): Ascendance of a Bookworm
                Tuesday (3/2): Tomodachi Game, Kaginado, Birdie Wing
                Wednesday (4): Komi, Shield Hero, Deaimon, Estab Life
                Thursday (7/5): Kongming, Skeleton Knight, Heroines, Demon Girl Next Door, Kodama Kawashiri, Galactic Heroes, Onipan
                Friday (7/6): Date A Live, Love After World Domination, Kaguya-sama, Science Fell in Love, Aharen-san, Danseur, Mahjong Soul Pon
                Saturday (4/3): Aoashi, Spy x Family, Couple of Cuckoos

While the other 21 full-length shows were figured out by the time their trial periods expired, I decided to take one more show in between Tomodachi Game, Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie, and The Dawn of the Witch, all shows I had high hopes for but their shows turned out to be disappointing. And in the end, I went with Tomodachi Game seeing that the story has caught my interest even if execution hasn't been up to snuff, and I just feel like I'll get something worthwhile from that. And lastly, both Summer Time Rendering and Black Rock Shooter, I plan to watch those when they finally show up on Disney+.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: May 1-15

I thought I wasn't as far behind on post-simulcast reports as I really am, but I now have the presence of mind to do the next one. It's a good thing that I am copying and pasting my history from MAL as they come so that I have this to turn to when making this. Anyway, here's the first half of May, which is rather brief seeing that I did my round of simuldub peaks during this time.

Completed

Buddy Complex (12-15): C
                  This is a generic mecha show, but it has an interesting setup involving the leading characters. While the show had great potential on paper, the show's storytelling was uneven in that the show doesn't really kick things into high gear until late in the show and the specials, and one of the three MCs doesn't get much attention. That said, the show does a nice job with action and drama that Sunrise mecha shows are known for, but the storytelling leaves much to be desired.

Wonder Egg Priority (1-13): B
                  This show is a nice visual barrage as it does a great job with being creative in storytelling, all while having some solid character development, as well as action that feels straight out of a Shaft show. That said, the show totally drops the ball with the ending as it introduces a menace that doesn't become relevant towards the end, all while having two recap episodes and not finishing what it started. In short, it's great eye candy that does tell a decent story, but it was compromised by a bad ending.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045: Sustainable War (movie): C+
                  Pretty much, this retells the first half of the story in a concise format, and at the very least it's easier to understand than the TV series that had so many sidetracks and a weak opening act. Aside from that, it's pretty much the same as the original series, though one that has a complete ending unlike with how the first season ended.

Ongoing

[BLP] Blue Period (5-8)
                  [SHK-N] Shaman King (2021) (14-20)

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: May 16-31

Second half of May, and I'm still catching up.

Completed

Vampire in the Garden (1-5): B-
                    This show is a visual marvel as Wit does an excellent job with the animation and the production values as they usually do. The show has a solid premise and an intriguing plot. While there were plenty of things in this show that made it interesting, it suffers from lackluster story writing as it relies on too many conveniences, all while leaving some pretty gaping plot holes. That said, it was a treat to watch the great visuals, and the MC was nicely developed. But the story drops the ball with the supporting cast and makes things way too convenient as several plot points didn't develop naturally.

^Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II (1-12, OVA): C+
                    After a very good first season that had a great underdog story going, this one keeps up the momentum in the war games arc, but then falls flat with the red light district arc. Seeing Bell's familia rise up is quite a sight to behold, and while the villain is one of those awful guys with no redeeming qualities, his downfall was a sight to behold. On the other hand, the red light district arc just didn't do much for character development or meaningful storytelling, all while the storytelling had all sorts of issues. But in the grand scheme of things, it continues to be a satisfying watch for the characters, and it makes quite a big difference that Bell is the MC and not Ais that made Sword Oratoria a letdown.

^Blue Period (9-12): B+
                    This show is all about coming of age as it came with a purpose and delivered. The artwork was nicely utilize to tell a story as well, which is the most important aspect for a show like this. That said, the show didn't get off to the best of starts, but once it gets settled in things really take off in this show. From there, just about the only issues are that the show becomes too overly informative to interrupt the show's flow, and that things felt a little bit rushed towards the end, In all, it's a nicely done show that came in with a plan and accomplishes what it sets out to do.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Season 2 (1-12): C+
                    The first half of this show just started off on the wrong foot as the whole America arc was especially not doing this show any service. However, the second half is a great improvement over the first half as the story is much more settled and things connect reasonably well, all while the ending was a fake-out that had some nice drama to it done. The action is better and more intuitive, all while the characters got some solid development. That said the show's story just tries to do way too much for its own good leading to some sloppy writing down the line, all while parts of it just won't make sense. But compared to the first season that was all over the place, this season does a better job at staying focused.

Ongoing

[PKM-J] Pokemon Journeys (46-60)
                    [SYI-Z] Saiyuki Reload: Zeroin (1-6)
                    [SHK-N] Shaman King (2021) (21-33)

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine
                    Working...
                    X